Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 03:13:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 632 633 634 635 636 [637] 638 639 640 641 642 ... 1173
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 943086 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15900 on: October 08, 2022, 02:10:10 PM »

Putin orders FSB to tighten controls at the bridge:

NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15901 on: October 08, 2022, 02:14:20 PM »

Here's a good Twitter thread on the Kerch bridge explosion for those interested:

Also, here is CCTV of Russian Military inspecting the truck that allegedly caused the explosion right before it got on the bridge:

jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #15902 on: October 08, 2022, 02:31:18 PM »

New Ukraine stamp
Omega21

« Reply #15903 on: October 08, 2022, 02:39:54 PM »
« Edited: October 08, 2022, 02:48:22 PM by Omega21 »

I don't know bro, still kinda seems like a Russian false flag to me...

Anyway, the only thing unclear is what actually exploded.

If they really did load up some civilian with explosives and turned him into a suicide bomber, I will from now on refer to UA SF as Abdu al Ukrainis.

However, there remains a realistic possibility that something under the bridge exploded, i.e., that it was mined on the pillars. This method, is of course, fair game.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15904 on: October 08, 2022, 02:52:42 PM »

I don't know bro, still kinda seems like a Russian false flag to me...

Only thing unclear is what actually exploded.

If they really did load up some civilian with explosives and turned him into a suicide bomber, I will from now on refer to UA SF as Abdu al Ukrainis.

However, there remains a realistic possibility that something under the bridge exploded, i.e., that it was mined on the pillars. This method, is of course, fair game.

Well it does appear that the truck exploded although quite possibly not the cause of the explosion.

It is clear that the multiple railcars also exploded, most likely secondary explosions from the diesel cars, which apparently had been parked on the rail bridge.

I am very skeptical that a Russian trucker somehow turned into a suicide bomber, although apparently that is the initial route that Russian authorities are pursuing. If that was the case why did the trucker drive in the outer lane versus the inner lane so as to inflict maximum damage?

jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15905 on: October 08, 2022, 02:55:29 PM »

It seems the first passenger train passed over the Kerch Bridge after the rushed repairs are done.  If true I still think this is risky but its Russia's call.
Omega21

« Reply #15906 on: October 08, 2022, 02:57:24 PM »

Well it does appear that the truck exploded although quite possibly not the cause of the explosion.

It is clear that the multiple railcars also exploded, most likely secondary explosions from the diesel cars, which apparently had been parked on the rail bridge.

I am very skeptical that a Russian trucker somehow turned into a suicide bomber, although apparently that is the initial route that Russian authorities are pursuing. If that was the case why did the trucker drive in the outer lane versus the inner lane so as to inflict maximum damage?

The trucker did not know that his truck was mined...

His nephew (also business partner) made a video, and said his uncle got a job to drive fertilizer. Allegedly, UA SF mined the fertilizer that they paid him to transport.

As said, still unclear if the truck is the source of the explosion, but that is the story.

If it is true, I lose all respect for UA SF. Turning civilians into suicide bombs is not how a war is fought.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15907 on: October 08, 2022, 02:58:42 PM »

The trucker did not know that his truck was mined...

His nephew (also business partner) made a video, and said his uncle got a job to drive fertilizer. Allegedly, UA SF mined the fertilizer that they paid him to transport.

As said, still unclear if the truck is the source of the explosion, but that is the story.

If it is true, I lose all respect for UA SF. Turning civilians into suicide bombs is not how a war is fought.

I think even if true Ukraine has the right to do this.  All is fair in love and war. 
Logical

« Reply #15908 on: October 08, 2022, 03:06:25 PM »

I do not think we'll know the true cause behind the explosion until historians reexamine this chapter when the war ends. We still have not conclusively figured out how back in August Saki airbase was attacked!
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15909 on: October 08, 2022, 03:07:08 PM »

https://www.india.com/news/world/russia-appoints-general-sergey-surovikin-aka-general-armageddon-to-lead-its-forces-in-ukraine-5675972/

Surovikin's nickname seems to be ‘General Armageddon’
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15910 on: October 08, 2022, 03:17:08 PM »

Looks like they were able to fix the rail, quite quickly.
They are using the other side of the road bridge, to probably handle both directional passage for now.
But the completely destroyed portion will take months to repair.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15911 on: October 08, 2022, 03:21:34 PM »

This is Russia we're talking about, the country of 'little green men' in Crimea. So actually yes, I wouldn't put any of that past them, although Kim is also equating wholly different scenarios in order to try and make it seem like he's making a good point... Which he isn't. I doubt the Ruskies are behind this bridge incident but they're almost certainly behind the pipelines...
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15912 on: October 08, 2022, 03:27:17 PM »

In theory I guess it could potentially be an accident with a truck carrying fertilizers somehow combusting, combined with shoddy construction and engineering (remember that corruption is a bit of thing in Russia), and the secondary explosions of the train cars were triggered by the first.

Still, I guess the key question is did the explosion occur underneath the bridge or on the surface of the bridge?

From what I have read thus far most informed commentators are leaning towards the former based upon what is a copious amount of video footage available.

jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15913 on: October 08, 2022, 03:36:32 PM »

This is Russia we're talking about, the country of 'little green men' in Crimea. So actually yes, I wouldn't put any of that past them, although Kim is also equating wholly different scenarios in order to try and make it seem like he's making a good point... Which he isn't. I doubt the Ruskies are behind this bridge incident but they're almost certainly behind the pipelines...

I actually think it is the other way around.  If there is a false flag attack I think it is more likely to be the bridge attack which could rally the Russians behind the war effort given the symbolic value of the bridge.  The NS attacks are much more likely to be the work of the USA than Russia as it has much lower rallying value for Russia but has achieved the USA goal of bloc discipline by cutting Germany off from future economic links with Russia.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #15914 on: October 08, 2022, 04:03:17 PM »

This was me when I woke up this morning and saw the news about the Crimean Bridge:

HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #15915 on: October 08, 2022, 04:18:54 PM »

Putin has stepped up his war on Russia from destorying Russian pipelines to now bombing Russian bridges.  The next step of escalation would be for Putin lauch a missile strike on the Kremlin. 

lmao let's hope!

anyway i love to see anything that the demon utilizes being destroyed, it's incredible, idc who's doing it
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15916 on: October 08, 2022, 04:59:46 PM »
« Edited: October 08, 2022, 05:02:57 PM by TiltsAreUnderrated »

I do not think we'll know the true cause behind the explosion until historians reexamine this chapter when the war ends. We still have not conclusively figured out how back in August Saki airbase was attacked!

Ukraine’s not officially claimed responsibility, but multiple Ukrainian sources have attributed it to them, they’ve not denied it, they’ve gloated about it and had repeatedly stated their intent to target it prior to the attack. The comparisons to the NS sabotage (and other alleged attacks for which Ukraine denies responsibility) are irrelevant.

The most conspiracist take I saw about it came from Wagner, which speculated that its destruction prevented the sackings of Shoigu and Gerasimov. That’s probably a lie, but it shows they’re still gunning hard against those two.

Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #15917 on: October 08, 2022, 05:21:41 PM »

Unconfirmed footage shows the bridge being struck by two missiles:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NonCredibleDefense/comments/xz3w5n/boom/
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #15918 on: October 08, 2022, 06:18:10 PM »

I actually think it is the other way around.  If there is a false flag attack I think it is more likely to be the bridge attack which could rally the Russians behind the war effort given the symbolic value of the bridge.  The NS attacks are much more likely to be the work of the USA than Russia as it has much lower rallying value for Russia but has achieved the USA goal of bloc discipline by cutting Germany off from future economic links with Russia.

I just have to believe that you have a beard because you almost certainly threw your Occam's razor in the trash. Each and every surmise that you make absent conclusive evidence I find to be somewhere between remote and bizarre. At any rate, the way things are going Putin to rally his nation will need to destroy Red Square, and the Hermitage, and blame Ukraine.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15919 on: October 08, 2022, 06:18:16 PM »

Hmmm... if that is real what does that say about the quality of Russian Air Defense systems, considering they basically have an advanced ship with all sorts of bells and whistles to detect incoming airborne stuff permanently by the bridge, which in theory should be able to detect any incoming missiles.

Still Ukraine did manage to sink the Flagship of the Russian Black Sea fleet using unconventional methods...

jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15920 on: October 08, 2022, 06:36:14 PM »

It seems that 3 months ago Russia put this out saying there are 20 layers of defense for the Kerch Bridge.  I am very curious about how the military dolphin works in this situation.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15921 on: October 08, 2022, 06:39:13 PM »

Meanwhile for entertainment purposes only let's put out a brief clip from not only one of the best war movies of all time, but also by some rankings to be considered the 11th best British film of the 20th Century.

Toss in a Simon & Garfunkel song from the late '60s / early '70s Bridge over Troubled Waters...

Bridge on the River Kwai

Won tons of Academy Awards back in the dayz...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bridge_on_the_River_Kwai

2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15922 on: October 08, 2022, 06:59:52 PM »

Putin has stepped up his war on Russia from destorying Russian pipelines to now bombing Russian bridges.  The next step of escalation would be for Putin lauch a missile strike on the Kremlin. 

lmao let's hope!

anyway i love to see anything that the demon utilizes being destroyed, it's incredible, idc who's doing it

A mysterious explosion at the Kremlin will no doubt be heralded by tankies and other simps for tyrants as proof that Russia is really serious, yes this time, about fighting the Special Military Operation.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15923 on: October 08, 2022, 07:58:01 PM »

It seems that 3 months ago Russia put this out saying there are 20 layers of defense for the Kerch Bridge.  I am very curious about how the military dolphin works in this situation.

Something like this minus dolphins?

James Bond style with the original Bond in Thunderball.

Splash
United States

« Reply #15924 on: October 08, 2022, 10:44:32 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 632 633 634 635 636 [637] 638 639 640 641 642 ... 1173  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies