Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:46:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 608 609 610 611 612 [613] 614 615 616 617 618 ... 1161
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 877797 times)
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15300 on: September 29, 2022, 01:09:13 PM »

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #15301 on: September 29, 2022, 01:19:01 PM »

BREAKING

Unconfirmed, treat accordingly.

Bad if true. Although Belarus is pathetic militarily, it would force UA to pull back troops to defend the north.

More trolling from Ukraine (note the historic reenactment setup):

"Belarus is preparing to receive 20,000 people mobilized from the Russian Federation"

Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15302 on: September 29, 2022, 01:20:18 PM »

BREAKING

Unconfirmed, treat accordingly.

Bad if true. Although Belarus is pathetic militarily, it would force UA to pull back troops to defend the north.

Opposition to the war is nearly unanimous in Belarus - unlike in Russia - even among people who otherwise support the regime. The Belarusian army is even more corrupt, poorly funded, and reliant on conscripts than the russian one. Lukashenko is inviting his army to mutiny and overthrow him if he does this.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #15303 on: September 29, 2022, 01:39:49 PM »

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #15304 on: September 29, 2022, 01:49:08 PM »

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #15305 on: September 29, 2022, 02:37:28 PM »

That map above is a beautiful thing, suitable for framing. That one blue arrow to the south that protrudes the farthest north, is about to cut the last road to the east to enable an escape from the vise. After that the Russians inside will be free at last, free at last, to surrender. I assume the quisling cowards left long ago. That would be a bad zip code, very bad, for them to remain in.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15306 on: September 29, 2022, 02:58:53 PM »

That map above is a beautiful thing, suitable for framing. That one blue arrow to the south that protrudes the farthest north, is about to cut the last road to the east to enable an escape from the vise. After that the Russians inside will be free at last, free at last, to surrender. I assume the quisling cowards left long ago. That would be a bad zip code, very bad, for them to remain in.

I call that First and Goal.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15307 on: September 29, 2022, 04:22:24 PM »
« Edited: September 29, 2022, 04:30:45 PM by Southern Delegate and Atlasian AG Punxsutawney Phil »

So if you believe some posters here, they're going to take action against the US?
As if, in the scenario the US did it or indirectly helped it happen, it would be a flash decision made without the support of other NATO members...and said NATO members would suddenly turn against the US...and they wouldn't just blame the Russians, who make perfect scapegoats...

The US would never do this without the backing of at least some substantial chunk of NATO. At the very least, Poland and Ukraine. In my view, the Germans, being the ones with the worst options of all parties here, are prone to be forced to go along with the agendas of others, if they don't do so willingly.

But that's enough about this topic. Only with time, reading through the lines, will we know for sure...
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #15308 on: September 29, 2022, 05:01:05 PM »

Splash
United States

« Reply #15309 on: September 29, 2022, 06:06:55 PM »

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #15310 on: September 29, 2022, 06:10:40 PM »

So if you believe some posters here, they're going to take action against the US?
As if, in the scenario the US did it or indirectly helped it happen, it would be a flash decision made without the support of other NATO members...and said NATO members would suddenly turn against the US...and they wouldn't just blame the Russians, who make perfect scapegoats...

The US would never do this without the backing of at least some substantial chunk of NATO. At the very least, Poland and Ukraine. In my view, the Germans, being the ones with the worst options of all parties here, are prone to be forced to go along with the agendas of others, if they don't do so willingly.

But that's enough about this topic. Only with time, reading through the lines, will we know for sure...

Yes, time usually reveals most, but not all necessarily. In the meantime, Sir Tim, you have managed to break the glass of Overton's window, you vandal you.  Sunglasses
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #15311 on: September 29, 2022, 06:44:48 PM »

Anschluss... interesting choice of words by this German media outlet.

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #15312 on: September 29, 2022, 06:53:35 PM »

Anschluss... interesting choice of words by this German media outlet.

Ewe. Yuck. The "Krauts" have never been very good at nuance and connotation. I agree with Churchill on that one.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15313 on: September 29, 2022, 07:30:05 PM »

It's hard for me to be excited about this. Every acre Ukraine takes back makes it more likely Vlad will go nuclear.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15314 on: September 29, 2022, 07:39:08 PM »

Yes, time usually reveals most, but not all necessarily. In the meantime, Sir Tim, you have managed to break the glass of Overton's window, you vandal you.  Sunglasses

My foremost pleasure would not come from this forum adopting my views. My foremost pleasure will come from our intelligence community and establishment winning out against Russia's, our system prevailing. And they are on the track to doing so, despite my concerns from earlier in the war.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15315 on: September 29, 2022, 07:47:40 PM »

It's hard for me to be excited about this. Every acre Ukraine takes back makes it more likely Vlad will go nuclear.
🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄
Splash
United States

« Reply #15316 on: September 29, 2022, 08:00:56 PM »

HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #15317 on: September 29, 2022, 08:10:17 PM »

lmao and then immediately get his ass beat by NATO
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #15318 on: September 29, 2022, 08:25:32 PM »

Nucular... the word is nucular.

Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15319 on: September 29, 2022, 08:37:55 PM »

The new command, which would be based at Wiesbaden in Germany, would fall under Gen. Christopher Cavoli, the commander of US European Command, which has led the multinational effort to train Ukrainian military forces on advanced Western weapons and deliver those weapons to the border with Ukraine, one official said. It is expected to be led by a 3-star general.

(...) The US and its allies and partners established the Ukraine Contact Group, consisting of more than 40 countries meeting monthly, to coordinate shipments of weapons and equipment into Ukraine.

The new command would create a more formal structure within the military to manage the shipments, officials said. Its anticipated location in central Germany also places it close to many of the training areas used by the US and Western countries to teach Ukrainian forces how to employ Western weaponry.

The command would also work closely with the International Donor Coordination Center (IDCC), which has played a critical role in handling the logistics necessary to match the need for Ukrainian weapons with the available stocks of potential donor countries.

HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #15320 on: September 29, 2022, 08:39:56 PM »

whens NATO gonna donate some rods from god to Ukraine
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15321 on: September 29, 2022, 08:44:24 PM »

I wish he would go ahead and make his move. That would be one less sword hanging over our head.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15322 on: September 29, 2022, 09:06:51 PM »
« Edited: September 29, 2022, 09:13:44 PM by Obama-Biden Democrat »

When the Germans were about to surround Kyiv in 1941, the Soviet generals asked Stalin permission to retreat from the city. Stalin refused, and the city was surrounded and the whole Soviet army was captured or wiped out.

The same thing is happening with Lyman and Putin refusing to withdraw.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15323 on: September 29, 2022, 09:15:20 PM »

When the Germans were about to surround Kyiv in 1941, the Soviet generals asked Stalin permission to retreat from the city. Stalin refused, and the city was surrounded and the whole Soviet army was captured.

The same thing is happening with Lyman and Putin refusing to withdraw.

Very similar things happened at Stalingrad and Leningrad...and well those eventually ended up much better for the USSR. Now I am in no way chose to saying that such things will repeat themselves. Rather I am suggesting that Putin had those examples on his mind when he ordered no retreat rather than the disastrous early days of 1941, or the tactics the Germans employed during their 2-year retreat. Never mind the fact that two wars nearly 100 years separated from each other have very little comparisons that are not apples to oranges.

Which is why I commented when the order was published that Putin seemed to be much more high than normal off the WWII copium. Because things will very likely not go the way Russia's leaders hope.
walleye26

« Reply #15324 on: September 29, 2022, 09:18:41 PM »

Do we have any idea how many Russian troops are in Lyman? Like, if it’s a company or two then it’s not really a big deal, but if we are talking a few battalions or several divisions then that’s something to celebrate. But do we have like a solid number? 100? 1,000? 10,000?
Pages: 1 ... 608 609 610 611 612 [613] 614 615 616 617 618 ... 1161  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies