Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:51:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 501 502 503 504 505 [506] 507 508 509 510 511 ... 1162
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 879533 times)
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12625 on: July 06, 2022, 04:09:42 AM »
« edited: July 06, 2022, 04:12:52 AM by TiltsAreUnderrated »

Russia has blocked Kazakhstan’s oil exports to Europe again, for another 30 days. I think Kazakhstan is likely to continue with restrictions on Russian coal transfers as a result.

In the long term, this is very good news for Turkey. Disrupting energy for a day or two during ideal “special operations” had allowed Russia to wield economic power effectively without pushing away their customers in the long term, but this is the kind of crisis that promotes alternative infrastructure.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12626 on: July 06, 2022, 08:15:10 AM »

Ukraine partisans seemed to of destroyed a ammunition warehouse in the heart if Kherson while reports are of heavy fighting west of the city
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12627 on: July 06, 2022, 08:32:42 AM »

Ukraine partisans seemed to of destroyed a ammunition warehouse in the heart if Kherson while reports are of heavy fighting west of the city

“Heavy battles west of Kherson [city?]” doesn’t tell us all that much, given that the Ukrainian Army is only a few villages away in parts of the province. That account sometimes puts out useful information, but tweets like these which are entirely qualitative aren’t in that number.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #12628 on: July 06, 2022, 10:11:03 AM »

To link with the hot topic de jour, I wonder what Zelensky thinks of Johnson's ongoing defenestration.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #12629 on: July 06, 2022, 10:18:53 AM »

To link with the hot topic de jour, I wonder what Zelensky thinks of Johnson's ongoing defenestration.

I am sure Putin is behind this one as well just like how Putin was behind Trump's election in 2016 and behind the current Bulgarian political crisis.  Amazing such a powerful person as Putin cannot win a war against Ukraine.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #12630 on: July 06, 2022, 10:19:47 AM »

There have actually been people seriously claiming this, yes.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12631 on: July 06, 2022, 10:24:10 AM »

He’s probably disappointed that the easiest source of aid is drying up, but I’m sure Ukrainian officials will be taking the opportunity to suggest Johnson should make one more round of commitments “to cement his legacy”.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #12632 on: July 06, 2022, 10:52:26 AM »

He’s probably disappointed that the easiest source of aid is drying up, but I’m sure Ukrainian officials will be taking the opportunity to suggest Johnson should make one more round of commitments “to cement his legacy”.

Why would the next PM, whomever they be, not be as pro-Ukraine as Johnson? Johnson clearly likes to portray himself at this uniquely pro-Ukraine voice on the world stage, but I don't think in terms of nuts-and-bolts logistical support that a different PM would be that dramatically different
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12633 on: July 06, 2022, 10:58:54 AM »

Why would the next PM, whomever they be, not be as pro-Ukraine as Johnson? Johnson clearly likes to portray himself at this uniquely pro-Ukraine voice on the world stage, but I don't think in terms of nuts-and-bolts logistical support that a different PM would be that dramatically different

I think our next PM will remain pro-Ukraine, but BoJo was often prepared to take bigger, “riskier” and more expensive steps because his political career was foundering and he needed short-term fixes. He also got to cosplay as Churchill, who he is particularly familiar with.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #12634 on: July 06, 2022, 12:47:03 PM »

I think our next PM will remain pro-Ukraine, but BoJo was often prepared to take bigger, “riskier” and more expensive steps because his political career was foundering and he needed short-term fixes. He also got to cosplay as Churchill, who he is particularly familiar with.

Fair point, but BoJo's love of Churchillian optics isn't unusual among Tories (at least in my outsider point of view, anyway). Plus whomever gets the job will want to assert themselves on the world stage, so I figure a Prime Minister Truss/Sunak/Patel/etc would do similar things.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12635 on: July 06, 2022, 03:35:00 PM »

RTL poll in Germany on "should Ukraine give up territory for peace?" has Yes/No at 47/41

rc18
United Kingdom

« Reply #12636 on: July 06, 2022, 03:42:35 PM »

RTL poll in Germany on "should Ukraine give up territory for peace?" has Yes/No at 47/41

I assume they'd also be in favour of giving East Germany back too?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12637 on: July 06, 2022, 03:49:09 PM »

Always easy to say that for other people.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12638 on: July 06, 2022, 03:52:48 PM »

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/7/6/russia-destroy-us-himar-weapons-in-ukraine-defence-ministry

"Russia claims advanced US rocket launchers destroyed in Ukraine"

Russia MoD claims they destroyed 2 HIMARS systems.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12639 on: July 06, 2022, 04:01:27 PM »
« Edited: July 06, 2022, 04:04:39 PM by TiltsAreUnderrated »

It’s easier to answer that question either way for other people. Many Ukrainians might consider a number of things more important than lost land, especially if regaining it requires a bloody and uncertain effort.

Edit: Of course, the question is largely irrelevant while Russia advances across the Donbas. Regardless of Ukraine’s stances, a negotiated settlement is extremely unlikely so long as Russia believes it can continue to advance by force.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12640 on: July 06, 2022, 04:04:15 PM »

It’s easier to answer that question either way for other people. Many Ukrainians might consider a number of things more important than lost land, especially if regaining it requires a bloody and uncertain effort.

Yes but the poll does give an indication on how much Germans want to pay and fund the Ukraine war effort both in direct cost of economic and military aid as well as indirect cost like Russian sanctions.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #12641 on: July 06, 2022, 04:04:49 PM »

Question: What were the polling numbers on the Munich Agreement in the UK in 1938?
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12642 on: July 06, 2022, 04:04:58 PM »

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/7/6/russia-destroy-us-himar-weapons-in-ukraine-defence-ministry

"Russia claims advanced US rocket launchers destroyed in Ukraine"

Russia MoD claims they destroyed 2 HIMARS systems.

jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12643 on: July 06, 2022, 04:39:29 PM »

https://kyivindependent.com/uncategorized/general-staff-conscripts-reservists-cannot-leave-city-of-residence-without-permission-from-military-enlistment-office

"General Staff: Conscripts, reservists cannot leave city of residence without permission from military enlistment office."

Ukraine's general staff says that "all people subject to military service, conscripts, and reservists would have to obtain permission from the local military registration and enlistment office in order to leave their place of residence "

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2022/07/06/zelensky-criticises-top-general-imposing-restrictions-army-recruits/

"Don’t make decisions without me, frustrated Volodymyr Zelensky orders general"

It seems Zelensky is saying that this order was made without his approval and he demands the Ukraine general staff not to make decisions without consulting him.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #12644 on: July 06, 2022, 04:46:47 PM »

Question: What were the polling numbers on the Munich Agreement in the UK in 1938?

Polling was in its infancy then, but opinion was actually pretty divided IIRC. The people cheering when Chamberlain returned with his "piece of paper" certainly didn't represent everybody.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #12645 on: July 06, 2022, 04:51:04 PM »

Crimea has been occupied for 8 years, I don't think Ukraine is getting it back.
nicholas.slaydon
Ukraine

« Reply #12646 on: July 06, 2022, 04:59:12 PM »

"Alsace-Lorraine has been occupied for 43 years there is no way France is ever getting it back"- Central Powers appeaser in 1914.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #12647 on: July 06, 2022, 05:06:03 PM »

"Alsace-Lorraine has been occupied for 43 years there is no way France is ever getting it back"- Central Powers appeaser in 1914.

So basically Ukraine isn't getting it back without a world war? As bad as WW1 was, at least it didn't have nukes.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12648 on: July 06, 2022, 05:18:37 PM »

Not in the short term, no.
And I doubt even a "liberal" Russian government could hand the territory back in the future.
The thing about Ukraine "losing territory for peace" is that it's a double-edged sword for Russia. They get more land, but they further weaken the cultural pull they have on that giant mass of land that was in Russia's orbit for literally hundreds of years before 2014.
Is it worth losing that?
Imo, "lose enough Russophone lands to make Ukraine's center of gravity be further away from Russia, but not enough of it to actually increase the power of your hand that much", looks like the worst of both worlds for Russia from a soft power point of view.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12649 on: July 06, 2022, 05:23:13 PM »

More and more social media evidence of increased partisan activity in Kherson the closer Ukraine is getting 😎
Pages: 1 ... 501 502 503 504 505 [506] 507 508 509 510 511 ... 1162  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies