Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 04:47:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 470 471 472 473 474 [475] 476 477 478 479 480 ... 1172
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 927602 times)
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11850 on: June 03, 2022, 09:17:12 PM »
« edited: June 03, 2022, 09:30:07 PM by Obama-Biden Democrat »

Zelensky's advisor claimed that Russian lost a BTG in Kherson

The media has been downplaying Ukrainian success in Kherson, while overhyping the minor Russians gains in the Donbass. It's hurting morale to make it seem like Ukraine is about to collapse.
pullet with a mullet
United States

« Reply #11851 on: June 03, 2022, 10:16:35 PM »

The media has been downplaying Ukrainian success in Kherson, while overhyping the minor Russians gains in the Donbass. It's hurting morale to make it seem like Ukraine is about to collapse.

Maybe making up for some of the exaggerations the other way, like when they said in the early days of the war there was some ukrainian babushka taking out russian drones with just pickle and tomato jars lol
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #11852 on: June 04, 2022, 01:40:06 AM »

Maybe making up for some of the exaggerations the other way, like when they said in the early days of the war there was some ukrainian babushka taking out russian drones with just pickle and tomato jars lol

it was one drone hit by one jar, and it did happen. There have been plenty of exaggerations, but that incident wasn't one of them.
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #11853 on: June 04, 2022, 02:39:38 AM »

According to US intelligence sources inside the Kremlin, Vladimir Putin is sick with advanced cancer and survived an assassination attempt back in March apparently:

Exclusive: Putin Treated for Cancer in April, U.S. Intelligence Report Says

It’s increasingly seems like common knowledge, to the point that Putin’s team of doctors is leaking into the Russian press that he’s being treated for cancer.
Now whether that’s actually killing him or it’s in remission or what we don’t know.

But, if he is dying, that raises another problem. When Putin kicks it, no matter how it happens, the Russian far right will be convinced the CIA wacked him and then what happens?
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11854 on: June 04, 2022, 03:42:18 AM »

What’s the deal with these leftists and “realists” calling for diplomacy with Russia in the name of “peace?” It’s clear that we’re past the point of no return with Putin and the blame lies primarily—no, solely—on his shoulders.

F—k rewarding the aggressor. Kick the Russians out of all of Ukraine.
Yes. It seems like the "realists" are so caught up in the framework of their theory that they cannot accept that sometimes the explanation for war is that there is a powerhungry/insane dictator. No no no, they HAVE to believe that it is the fault of NATO for expanding eastwards. Utter nonsense. Even Mearsheimer insisted that Putin would never try to take Kiev.

The leftists are easier to understand, although they are arguably even more detached from reality. Part of it is misguided utopian thinking (pacifism), part of it is their deep hatred of "american imperialism" that obscures their ability to think clearly.

EDIT: Here in Denmark, our most extreme leftist party in parliament has taken the borderline absurd position that NATO is bad and we should leave, but that now is NOT a good time to leave. Oh really? When is a good time then?
Logical

« Reply #11855 on: June 04, 2022, 04:57:07 AM »

it was one drone hit by one jar, and it did happen. There have been plenty of exaggerations, but that incident wasn't one of them.

You would probably believe it if you heard that some ukrainian shot down an iskander with a ak74. Meanwhile, I try to put my pro Russian biases aside when looking at how things unfold. When Mariupol was active, a lot of Russian chatter was that they were capturing nato generals, including one particular Roger Cloutier. That was utter bullsh**t obviously, yet some people still believe it and that russia and america are jointly hiding it and using body doubles etc. Also that moron Kadyrov was running his mouth in like late march talking about how we will have Mariupol wrapped up in a few days, and I was thinking lol, this gonna take weeks. He still says outlandish stuff that some very pro russian boomers believe, like we can take Poland out in 6 days next! Or the worst one yet “pfft we didn’t even want KIEV anyways bro”. Difference is, unlike a lot of pro ukrainians here, I am able to seperate out what I want vs what the reality is.  I would have loved it if Russia took Kiev, which was the aim, but it was a big fat L, and I won’t try and say otherwise.

Ah so you are a clear thinking cheerleader for rape, looting and mass murder. Splendid.
pullet with a mullet
United States

« Reply #11856 on: June 04, 2022, 05:06:56 AM »

You would probably believe it if you heard that some ukrainian shot down an iskander with a ak74. Meanwhile, I try to put my pro Russian biases aside when looking at how things unfold. When Mariupol was active, a lot of Russian chatter was that they were capturing nato generals, including one particular Roger Cloutier. That was utter bullsh**t obviously, yet some people still believe it and that russia and america are jointly hiding it and using body doubles etc. Also that moron Kadyrov was running his mouth in like late march talking about how we will have Mariupol wrapped up in a few days, and I was thinking lol, this gonna take weeks. He still says outlandish stuff that some very pro russian boomers believe, like we can take Poland out in 6 days next! Or the worst one yet “pfft we didn’t even want KIEV anyways bro”. Difference is, unlike a lot of pro ukrainians here, I am able to seperate out what I want vs what the reality is.  I would have loved it if Russia took Kiev, which was the aim, but it was a big fat L, and I won’t try and say otherwise.

Ah so you are a clear thinking cheerleader for rape, looting and mass murder. Splendid.

Based on what I have read here after lurking for a bit, I am not convincing any of you to be pro russian, and you will not convince me to be pro ukrainian. So I’m mostly here to just talk objective war developments.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11857 on: June 04, 2022, 05:36:17 AM »

You would probably believe it if you heard that some ukrainian shot down an iskander with a ak74. Meanwhile, I try to put my pro Russian biases aside when looking at how things unfold. When Mariupol was active, a lot of Russian chatter was that they were capturing nato generals, including one particular Roger Cloutier. That was utter bullsh**t obviously, yet some people still believe it and that russia and america are jointly hiding it and using body doubles etc. Also that moron Kadyrov was running his mouth in like late march talking about how we will have Mariupol wrapped up in a few days, and I was thinking lol, this gonna take weeks. He still says outlandish stuff that some very pro russian boomers believe, like we can take Poland out in 6 days next! Or the worst one yet “pfft we didn’t even want KIEV anyways bro”. Difference is, unlike a lot of pro ukrainians here, I am able to seperate out what I want vs what the reality is.  I would have loved it if Russia took Kiev, which was the aim, but it was a big fat L, and I won’t try and say otherwise.

Based on what I have read here after lurking for a bit, I am not convincing any of you to be pro russian, and you will not convince me to be pro ukrainian. So I’m mostly here to just talk objective war developments.

Or you can piss off as no one here wants to talk with someone who supports a country that is committing war crimes
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #11858 on: June 04, 2022, 05:39:53 AM »

You would probably believe it if you heard that some ukrainian shot down an iskander with a ak74. Meanwhile, I try to put my pro Russian biases aside when looking at how things unfold. When Mariupol was active, a lot of Russian chatter was that they were capturing nato generals, including one particular Roger Cloutier. That was utter bullsh**t obviously, yet some people still believe it and that russia and america are jointly hiding it and using body doubles etc. Also that moron Kadyrov was running his mouth in like late march talking about how we will have Mariupol wrapped up in a few days, and I was thinking lol, this gonna take weeks. He still says outlandish stuff that some very pro russian boomers believe, like we can take Poland out in 6 days next! Or the worst one yet “pfft we didn’t even want KIEV anyways bro”. Difference is, unlike a lot of pro ukrainians here, I am able to seperate out what I want vs what the reality is.  I would have loved it if Russia took Kiev, which was the aim, but it was a big fat L, and I won’t try and say otherwise.

lots of whataboutery and baseless assumptions, I was solely commenting on that particular incident, saying it was one incidence (since you used plural) and a bad example because it actually happened.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11859 on: June 04, 2022, 05:45:43 AM »

In other news Ukraine launched a counter attack in Sievierodonetsk last night and recaptured about 20% of the city it had lost

pullet with a mullet
United States

« Reply #11860 on: June 04, 2022, 05:56:58 AM »

Or you can piss off as no one here wants to talk with someone who supports a country that is committing war crimes

i Think I will stay. As annoying as super pro Ukrainian sentiments can be, this is still one of the best places I found over the course of the war that aggregates information in a succint format
pullet with a mullet
United States

« Reply #11861 on: June 04, 2022, 06:01:20 AM »

lots of whataboutery and baseless assumptions, I was solely commenting on that particular incident, saying it was one incidence (since you used plural) and a bad example because it actually happened.

Ok. Well there was this funny thing going around about 6ish weeks ago on ukrop type telegrams saying that overnight in about a 12 hour window, Ukrainian tanks rolled 100 kilometers into Belgorod oblast and surronded and besieged the city. I bet you 100% believed that lol. I’m obviously based, so I don’t believe the excuses and exaggerations that the side I want to win makes, (like other pro russians claiming russia never even meant to take KIEV to begin with), that’s obviously a flat out lie, and Russia took a fat L.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #11862 on: June 04, 2022, 06:29:11 AM »

I don't mind a pro-Russia poster contributing in this thread per se, and at least they are open about it.
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #11863 on: June 04, 2022, 06:35:53 AM »

Ok. Well there was this funny thing going around about 6ish weeks ago on ukrop type telegrams saying that overnight in about a 12 hour window, Ukrainian tanks rolled 100 kilometers into Belgorod oblast and surronded and besieged the city. I bet you 100% believed that lol. I’m obviously based, so I don’t believe the excuses and exaggerations that the side I want to win makes, (like other pro russians claiming russia never even meant to take KIEV to begin with), that’s obviously a flat out lie, and Russia took a fat L.

Stop trying to "guess" what ridiculous things you think I may believe, that's pretty clearly trolling and as such against the ToS.
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #11864 on: June 04, 2022, 06:40:41 AM »

I don't mind a pro-Russia poster contributing in this thread per se, and at least they are open about it.

If he could quit the trolling, trying to wind people up, and whataboutery it would be okay, but obvious troll is obvious, and this is just too sensitive a topic to allow trolling given how many posters have friends and family members in Ukraine.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #11865 on: June 04, 2022, 06:53:05 AM »

We'll have to see what happens I guess.

Could at least potentially be a reason for me staying away from this thread though.
Farmlands
Portugal

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -0.14

« Reply #11866 on: June 04, 2022, 07:40:18 AM »

We'll have to see what happens I guess.

Could at least potentially be a reason for me staying away from this thread though.

You don't have to worry, he's already been banned for being a sock. Naturally, and likely for the best of this thread.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11867 on: June 04, 2022, 07:41:44 AM »

BBC is confirming the Ukraine success in Severodonetsk along with a map layout of the battle here
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11868 on: June 04, 2022, 07:51:32 AM »
« Edited: June 04, 2022, 07:56:02 AM by TiltsAreUnderrated »

BBC is confirming the Ukraine success in Severodonetsk along with a map layout of the battle here

The BBC only says 'Ukraine claims' (although if they're reporting it without qualifiers, they consider the claim somewhat credible), and the map in the Tweet does not belong to them. The fog of war is thick in Severodonetsk and is likely to be unless the frontlines become static for several days.

Strelkov also claims Ukraine advanced in Severodonetsk - he is pro-Russia, but but has his own agenda - thanks to "Polish mercenaries".
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11869 on: June 04, 2022, 08:25:48 AM »

The BBC only says 'Ukraine claims' (although if they're reporting it without qualifiers, they consider the claim somewhat credible), and the map in the Tweet does not belong to them. The fog of war is thick in Severodonetsk and is likely to be unless the frontlines become static for several days.

Strelkov also claims Ukraine advanced in Severodonetsk - he is pro-Russia, but but has his own agenda - thanks to "Polish mercenaries".
Yes the map is not from BBC, only providing it as Chuck has been a good source for stuff like that. While it is also true the fog of war doesn’t make everything clear it is more than fair to say that there is a lot of rumblings that Ukraine has switched momentum in the battle
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11870 on: June 04, 2022, 08:51:59 AM »

Yes the map is not from BBC, only providing it as Chuck has been a good source for stuff like that. While it is also true the fog of war doesn’t make everything clear it is more than fair to say that there is a lot of rumblings that Ukraine has switched momentum in the battle

I’d lean towards that assessment, but these things can change quickly - ultimately, we are talking about the smallest, day-to-day tactical shifts in a campaign for one city. Zoom out, and over a few weeks, you can see that Russia has made slow but steady progress in the Donbas through the weeks. Zoom out even more, and you can see the Donbas campaign won’t be the end of the war or a guarantee of Russian success everywhere else.

The UK MoD assessed yesterday that Russia would probably take all of Luhansk in a few weeks, and I think that’s correct. Severodonetsk is increasing isolated on one side of a river that Ukraine controls little else on, and the only supply routes to their bridges over that river are in a salient under artillery fire. The new rocket artillery is unlikely to arrive in sufficient quantities in time to prevent this, if it even could (it’s not a wunderwaffe and might not be decisive).

What is likely to be decided here is not whether the city will fall, but how orderly and fast Ukraine’s retreat is, and the costs its forces incur and inflict.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11871 on: June 04, 2022, 09:36:13 AM »

As of yet, a case can still be made that Russia is the largest supplier of military aid to Ukraine.

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #11872 on: June 04, 2022, 11:51:12 AM »

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #11873 on: June 04, 2022, 02:19:12 PM »

Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020