Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 12:09:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 409 410 411 412 413 [414] 415 416 417 418 419 ... 1172
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 927950 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10325 on: April 21, 2022, 09:46:36 AM »

Russia forces are too exhausted to storm the steel plant, Mariupol might not fall after all

Siege tactics != abandoning the offensive, although it slows the deployment of troops from Mariupol to the rest of the Donbas.

Yesterday, there were Ukrainian reports of soldiers breaking out of the Primorsky district and reaching the other troops in Azovstal. That would indicate they have finally been reduced to one “pocket” of territory around the factory, but the poor/scant reporting about Primorsky casts a little bit of doubt over this new development (I’ll wait for the ISW update).

This makes a lot of sense.

The plant is a literal ant hill with an extensive tunnel network, which are now probably makeshift bunkers.

I hope Azov lets the civilians leave, because if this draws out, count on more TU-22 sorties with 3-5 ton bunker busters.

Also, apparently Azov has received orders to execute soldiers who are looking to surrender. (Note this is from a Russian source, so season with some salt.)

If this were the Marines or another proper UA military unit, I would be very skeptical, but when it comes to Azov, not letting soldiers surrender does seem within the realms of possibility.

On another note, RU Tankers in Mariupol are now preforming the most important part of the operation: doing donuts.

That is really not very dignified. This is not a video game. I know I should not ask this, but is Russian popular culture that really low brow?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10326 on: April 21, 2022, 09:48:13 AM »

Russia forces are too exhausted to storm the steel plant, Mariupol might not fall after all

Siege tactics != abandoning the offensive, although it slows the deployment of troops from Mariupol to the rest of the Donbas.

Yesterday, there were Ukrainian reports of soldiers breaking out of the Primorsky district and reaching the other troops in Azovstal. That would indicate they have finally been reduced to one “pocket” of territory around the factory, but the poor/scant reporting about Primorsky casts a little bit of doubt over this new development (I’ll wait for the ISW update).

The plant is a literal ant hill with an extensive tunnel network, which are now probably makeshift bunkers.

I hope Azov lets the civilians leave, because if this draws out, count on more TU-22 sorties with 3-5 ton bunker busters.

Also, apparently Azov has received orders to execute soldiers who are looking to surrender. (Note this is from a Russian source, so season with some salt.)

If this were the Marines or another proper UA military unit, I would be very skeptical, but when it comes to Azov, not letting soldiers surrender does seem within the realms of possibility.

On another note, RU Tankers in Mariupol are now preforming the most important part of the operation: doing donuts.

That is really not very dignified. This is not a video game. I know I should not ask this, but is Russian popular culture that really low brow?

They're a retarded wolf pack. This is expected behavior.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #10327 on: April 21, 2022, 09:50:58 AM »

I don't shed any tears about the Azov Battalion being trapped in the Azovstal steel-mill tbh. Serves them well and as soon as they're gone it also removes one of Russia's main arguments for "denazification". Too bad for the 36th Naval Infantry Brigade though.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10328 on: April 21, 2022, 09:54:56 AM »

A lot of military propaganda is like this. Rock music + inefficient stunts (and in some cases, actual combat footage), etc.

I’m reminded of the Royal Navy video where they test jetpacks (not very useful at all, but they look cool). I guess it’s good for recruiters.

rc18
United Kingdom

« Reply #10329 on: April 21, 2022, 10:52:38 AM »
« Edited: April 21, 2022, 12:46:33 PM by rc18 »

Interesting, the USAF have rapidly developed a new Switchblade-like loitering drone for the Ukrainians to use.

I'd guess designed for taking out artillery, with long range like the Switchblade 600 but maybe a simpler and easier to mass-produce warhead. You don't need a tandem if you aren't using it against MBTs.

Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10330 on: April 21, 2022, 12:20:58 PM »

Anti-Trump Truth Socialite JD Vance Enjoying Juror
NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #10331 on: April 21, 2022, 12:29:10 PM »

Ukraine has shot down >10% of Russia's Ka-52 fleet at this point.
Splash
United States

« Reply #10332 on: April 21, 2022, 01:19:22 PM »

Sabotage or coincidence?

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10333 on: April 21, 2022, 01:25:32 PM »

Sabotage or coincidence?

Goodness those fumes are DARK.
Omega21

« Reply #10334 on: April 21, 2022, 01:34:25 PM »

So I will call it at this point, Mariupol has fallen.

Let us hope this is the last major Ukrainian city to suffer a similar fate.

TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10335 on: April 21, 2022, 01:46:59 PM »

Its loss has been pretty close to a forgone conclusion for a long time, but taking the highest point in the city does not mean taking all of the city. Siege tactics could mean the resistance around Azovstal lasts for some time yet.

We’ve only seen footage/claims of capture for under half of the ships and boats Ukraine was thought to have deployed to this area. This isn’t a particularly strong indicator, but it does suggest Russia either hasn’t got all of their vessels or is reluctant to take pictures because they are close to the front lines.
Omega21

« Reply #10336 on: April 21, 2022, 02:02:39 PM »

Its loss has been pretty close to a forgone conclusion for a long time, but taking the highest point in the city does not mean taking all of the city. Siege tactics could mean the resistance around Azovstal lasts for some time yet.

We’ve only seen footage/claims of capture for under half of the ships and boats Ukraine was thought to have deployed to this area. This isn’t a particularly strong indicator, but it does suggest Russia either hasn’t got all of their vessels or is reluctant to take pictures because they are close to the front lines.

Of course, the flag is just symbolism.

However, with Russian tanks doing donuts in downtown, school starting with a Russian curriculum, the port & all administration buildings flying Russian flags, it is safe to call it over.

Point being, Azov is no longer able to contest Russians for any area outside their factory. They peek out - shot. They run - shot.

As for the boats, half of them may have been scuttled on time, similar to the UA flagship.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #10337 on: April 21, 2022, 02:58:50 PM »
« Edited: April 21, 2022, 03:37:58 PM by Interlocutor »

I don't know if its the election-like tone, but this post gave me Wasserman vibes.

DISCLAIMER: FAKE TWEET & FAKE PICTURE
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10338 on: April 21, 2022, 03:31:28 PM »

I guess, but they're still taking losses there.

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #10339 on: April 21, 2022, 03:34:59 PM »

Sabotage or coincidence?

Video of the fire in Tver (160km NW of Moscow).

Definitely a weird coincidence if not sabotage or a missle strike. But where there's an ongoing war, it always increases the likelihood of accidents happening.

kingcharlesvii
Rookie

« Reply #10340 on: April 21, 2022, 03:46:10 PM »

Does Ukrainian Armed Forces have the capability of striking that deep into Russia? Or is the consensus that this was sabotage?
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #10341 on: April 21, 2022, 03:48:14 PM »

Does Ukrainian Armed Forces have the capability of striking that deep into Russia? Or is the consensus that this was sabotage?

Afaik, they don't. But of course there is the possibility that they somehow have gained that capability (from NATO presumably).
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #10342 on: April 21, 2022, 03:55:04 PM »

Don't worry Vyacheslav, Russia will have the Northern Caucasus and Siberia "taken" next.

Omega21

« Reply #10343 on: April 21, 2022, 04:04:01 PM »

I guess, but they're still taking losses there.

Just a very well placed mine

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #10344 on: April 21, 2022, 04:16:43 PM »
« Edited: April 21, 2022, 04:28:26 PM by Storr »

So far Russia has already had 12 confirmed Ka-52 attack helicopter losses. This would be the 13th. Russia started with around 130 total.

TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10345 on: April 21, 2022, 05:41:42 PM »

Of course, the flag is just symbolism.

However, with Russian tanks doing donuts in downtown, school starting with a Russian curriculum, the port & all administration buildings flying Russian flags, it is safe to call it over.

Point being, Azov is no longer able to contest Russians for any area outside their factory. They peek out - shot. They run - shot.

As for the boats, half of them may have been scuttled on time, similar to the UA flagship.

Even the scuttled one tend to have pictures.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10346 on: April 21, 2022, 05:43:21 PM »

Afaik, they don't. But of course there is the possibility that they somehow have gained that capability (from NATO presumably).

Methinks the manage of the missile research institute had pocketed lots of government funding, and he was tipped off that Putin was coming for him, so he burned down the building to destroy the evidence.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10347 on: April 21, 2022, 05:47:27 PM »

So far Russia has already had 12 confirmed Ka-52 attack helicopter losses. This would be the 13th. Russia started with around 130 total.

You mean in their invasion or in their army?
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10348 on: April 21, 2022, 05:48:47 PM »

The supply of long-range tactical missiles is a pretty remote possibility given their stance on old fighter jets.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10349 on: April 21, 2022, 08:03:43 PM »

The supply of long-range tactical missiles is a pretty remote possibility given their stance on old fighter jets.

Honestly the most obvious answer is most likely the correct one in this case.

Lack of adequate safety standards, improper storage of fuel and chemical components, decrepit life safety systems (LSS) designed to quickly detect and suppress any incident, etc...

"Just another industrial accident" seems the most plausible, since presumably workers at the facility would have been extensively screened and monitored for loyalty to the Russian State.
Pages: 1 ... 409 410 411 412 413 [414] 415 416 417 418 419 ... 1172  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies