Republicans are furious Seame Street's Big Bird (and now Elmo) got vaccinated.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:42:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Republicans are furious Seame Street's Big Bird (and now Elmo) got vaccinated.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: Republicans are furious Seame Street's Big Bird (and now Elmo) got vaccinated.  (Read 3793 times)
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: November 10, 2021, 08:18:49 AM »

Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #76 on: November 10, 2021, 08:23:07 AM »

It’s not currently recommended for birds to get the Covid-19 vaccine. Don’t blame the Republicans for being a little skeptical here.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #77 on: November 10, 2021, 08:38:00 AM »

I'm going to stop calling them anti-vaxxers. They are pro-pandemic.
Cokeland Saxton
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -6.26

P
« Reply #78 on: November 10, 2021, 01:06:14 PM »

Classic Republicans, getting trashier by the day
Kamala’s side hoe
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #79 on: November 19, 2021, 12:25:18 AM »

https://americanindependent.com/fox-news-defund-pbs-sesame-street-asian-american-puppet-ji-young/

In a Thursday "Fox & Friends First" appearance, American Conservative Union chairman Matt Schlapp called to defund PBS over the network's attempts to make its programming more inclusive of race and gender identity. Schlapp specifically attacked the producers of "Sesame Street" for recently adding an Asian American puppet to its regular cast of characters.

"They're trying to bring race into Ernie and Bert," Schlapp said, referring to two male puppets who live together on the fictional Sesame Street.

lmao

Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #80 on: November 19, 2021, 12:32:58 AM »

With everything going on in the world right now, Republicans choose to fight Sesame Street.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #81 on: November 19, 2021, 12:41:56 AM »

With everything going on in the world right now, Republicans choose to fight Sesame Street.

It's going to be so embarrassing to lose to these clowns next November.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #82 on: November 19, 2021, 12:59:25 AM »

Imagine That was my favorite Bert & Ernie segment.
NerdyBohemian
United States

« Reply #83 on: November 19, 2021, 09:36:39 AM »

It’s wild that these clowns have no platform other than attacking Sesame Street and worshipping a demagogue ex-president and America is gonna give the keys right back to them.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #84 on: November 19, 2021, 09:49:47 AM »

Haha, You wish, but it's just a couple of tweets, lmao.

Reps/reality keeps hammering on how Biden/dems are incompetent on myriad of issues. Voters seem to agree.

Gallup:
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #85 on: November 19, 2021, 10:30:27 AM »

Sesame Street is produced, in part, by our tax dollars, and aired through public television.  Parents are the arbiters of their children's best interest, and this includes medical decisions.  It is not the role of the government to fund money to produce propaganda in the name of "educational television" to cause children in elementary school to believe that they should be vaccinated, and (implicitly) that their parents are "wrong" in not having them vaccinated.  That is not the role of government.  I know that the Soviet government and Nazi Germany lionized children who snitched on their parents for thoughtcrime, but this is still America, and our tax monies should not be used to undermine the status of parents as the arbiters of their children's best medical interest.

This isn't an advocacy for parents being the final arbiters in things such as genital mutilation or not providing medical treatment for inoperable cancer, but the COVID-19 vaccine being administered to a 5-11 year old is not that kind of decision.  Nor is a 5-11 year old child capable of making that sort of decision.  These sort of things are propaganda aimed at children.  That's not OK on the taxpayer's dime.  The idea that vaccinating 5-11 year old children against COVID-19 is the best course of action for such children is far from settled science at this point.

I'm interested to hear what possible justification you could have for the bolded portion, Fuzzy. There is far, far more science demonstrating the efficacy of vaccines and the reality, gravity, and anthropogenic nature of climate change than there is for this alleged epidemic of children being harmed in any significant number by transitioning prior to adulthood. Why should parents be allowed to act how they choose in spite of the scientific consensus in the one case but remain cautious despite a lack of meaningful science saying they ought to do so in the other?

At the end of the day, if you'll permit my saying so, I think you rail so hard against this idea of taking choice away from parents because you hate in them what you see in yourself. You have no actual moral commitment to giving parents the final word, as is demonstrated by your contempt for them when they choose to support their trans kids. At the end of the day, you, like the people you criticize, just want people to raise their children how you personally think they ought to be raised. When you think parents are making choices closer to what you want than the government would, you defer to the parents; when the reverse is true, you defer to the government. All this hemming and hawing about parents is nothing more than a flimsy post hoc justification for this tendency dressed up in rhetoric designed to appeal to parents' anxieties, which we tend to hold as sacrosanct in this culture for whatever reason.

( Insert standing ovation gif)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #86 on: November 19, 2021, 10:42:56 AM »

I think the whole pro/anti-vax movement is beyond ridiculous. People should make their own decision and not force people to either get it or not. If you want to get vaccinated, that's fine. If not it's your choice, just like anything in life along with the rewards/consequences that come with them. I disagree with mandates/mandate bans as well as people getting fired for not getting vaccinated, especially considering our economy was already suffering economically/medically and the healthcare workers fired were heroes during the peak of the pandemic. However don't confuse that with spreading misinformation, that is something that should at least be investigated if not reprimanded but there should be a way to tell where the information is coming from. What Biden did in Florida when he refused to give DeSantis antibodies was politically charged and unacceptable.
Oh stop. If you really think the anti-vax movement is that terrible and ignorant, on which you are correct, then stop enabling it with legal protection. The healthcare workers getting fired were literally a fraction of 1% of individuals who refused to get shots. The vast majority of unvaccinated people in such positions wound up getting the shot, thus making transmission and spread of covid a much lower probability for their workplaces in the community at large, which of course nets a witch of course nets great economic benefits Shortly down the road.

If saying someone shouldn't have to show up to work unvaccinated despite a work regulation saying otherwise is saying that muh freedoms  Say I should be able to drive a forklift at work drunk
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #87 on: November 19, 2021, 10:46:36 AM »

At this point I'd be pretty comfortable electing Big Bird president in 2024 compared with what the alternatives are shaping up to be. As long as he doesn't put Elmo in the cabinet anywhere.

Do we really want the U.S. to have a puppet government?

Bravo sir. Well played indeed. A  Most deserved tip of my Fedora.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #88 on: November 19, 2021, 10:51:08 AM »

I'm more concerned about parents letting their children access Twitter (even if it's only to follow Sesame Street characters) than Big Bird getting the jab.

That's the hilarious contradiction here. Most of these helicopter parents are fine with feeding their kids several thousands of calories every day and letting them play on the internet round the clock. If they actually cared about parenting, maybe they'd bother to do a little bit of it here and there. The reason they're so scared of a show like Sesame Street saying something they disagree with is because they rely on the media to raise their kids for them.

Strawman much? Not saying that people like this don't exist, but you are creating this bizarre extreme image to implicitly justify republicans going apesh**t over BIG BIRD TELLING KIDS NOT TO BE SCARED OF GETTING A COVID SHOT.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #89 on: November 19, 2021, 10:52:51 AM »

But remember! This is all the fault of the democrats!! Numerous republicans on Atlas have posted repeatedly in recent weeks that that if democrats would just be better than republicans wouldn't be so awful.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #90 on: November 19, 2021, 11:37:31 AM »

I'm more concerned about parents letting their children access Twitter (even if it's only to follow Sesame Street characters) than Big Bird getting the jab.

That's the hilarious contradiction here. Most of these helicopter parents are fine with feeding their kids several thousands of calories every day and letting them play on the internet round the clock. If they actually cared about parenting, maybe they'd bother to do a little bit of it here and there. The reason they're so scared of a show like Sesame Street saying something they disagree with is because they rely on the media to raise their kids for them.

Strawman much? Not saying that people like this don't exist, but you are creating this bizarre extreme image to implicitly justify republicans going apesh**t over BIG BIRD TELLING KIDS NOT TO BE SCARED OF GETTING A COVID SHOT.

I said that the people who are always up in arms about their kids being brainwashed by children's shows wouldn't have to worry if they weren't relying on the media to raise their children for them.
MysteryMan
Rookie

« Reply #91 on: November 20, 2021, 01:27:45 AM »

I for one condemn this cancel culture gone wild, and I am shocked, absolutely shocked to see conservatives who recently were condemning left wing cancel culture engaging in it themselves, I for one truly believed that after decades of censoring and boycotting popular culture they dislike such as Dungeons & Dragons, Harry Potter, and the Spice Girls, the conservatives of America had turned over a new leaf and weren't cynically lying for political gain, just as much as I believed that nice Nigerian prince and that realtor selling ocean front property in Arizona.
Biden his time
Abdullah
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #92 on: November 21, 2021, 06:17:32 PM »

This is so cringe lol...

Republicans trying to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory?

You come after the bird, you best not miss...
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #93 on: November 24, 2021, 03:02:49 AM »

Truly, there is no bottom. I dare not speculate to what level of hell Republicans will charge next, because they will doubtless go lower than I am capable of imagining. Republicans are dangerous psychopaths, and the enablers of dangerous psychopaths.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #94 on: November 24, 2021, 09:16:07 AM »

Haha, this one was really fun from Lyin' Ted.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #95 on: November 24, 2021, 09:35:43 AM »

Pretty sure Cookie is vegetarian.
TrumpBritt24
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #96 on: November 24, 2021, 09:41:13 AM »

I can't find them, but this will likely mark the 3rd/4th decade in a row that Atlas has a post involving Republicans/Sesame Street in some context.

Really says all you have to know about the GOP.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #97 on: June 29, 2022, 06:25:44 PM »

Ted Cruz still picking fights with muppets.

Still, I guess credit where credit is due - he's not punching down.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #98 on: June 29, 2022, 07:00:14 PM »

Ted Cruz still picking fights with muppets.

Still, I guess credit where credit is due - he's not punching down.

Ted Cruz being arguably the most famous Canadian muppet is embarassing for Canada.
FT-02 Senator A.F.E. 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #99 on: June 29, 2022, 07:07:51 PM »

The real priorities of Republicans everyone! Dealing with inflation? Nah. Tackling climate change? Nah. Elmo talking about vaccination? R E A L  S H ! T
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies