The Oval Office – Scott Administration
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:45:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Oval Office – Scott Administration
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: The Oval Office – Scott Administration  (Read 7109 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2021, 06:28:50 PM »

December 18, 2021 -- Signing of the New Great Society Act

Good evening.

My friends, it is an honor and a privilege to be here with you all today. I believe this is an historic moment for Atlasia and especially middle-class families. Because with this bill, we are investing in the people. That's my guiding principle on social spending. No matter how powerful our military is, our nation is only as strong as its weakest link.

I have experienced poverty. I have experienced homelessness. I have seen and lived in high-crime areas that are often neglected by the powers that be. I know what rock bottom is like, and I would give my life if it meant someone else wouldn't have to experience it.

But this bill presents a golden opportunity to support Atlasian families, to support Atlasian students, to modernize our crumbling infrastructure - using material produced here in the Republic of Atlasia!

And so it is with great vigor that I shall sign this bill into law. And it must be acknowledged that the senator who sponsored this act, Senator Western Democrat, has been instrumental in crafting the bill and ensuring its passage. It is an honor to work with Senator WD, and I will be signing this law with two pens; one will go to Senator WD in honor of his leadership.

Pete Souza - President Obama Signs Health Insurance Legislation Into Law (parody)

AN ACT
To make investments in our country and expand essential social programs

Be it enacted by the Senate of the Republic of Atlasia assembled,
Section I. Title

This act may be cited as the New Great Society Act.

Section II. Infrastructure investments

1. Highway programs - $75,000,000,000 is appropriated for each of fiscal years of 2022 through 2026 for the purpose of to improving  roads, bridges, and other transportation infrastructure in the Republic of Atlasia.

2. Rail Service - There is appropriated $15,000,000,000 for each of fiscal years 2022 through 2026 to make quarterly grants to the National Railroad Passenger Corporation for the operation of intercity passenger rail.

3. Airports - There is appropriated $2,500,000,000 for each of fiscal years 2022 through 2026 to implement airport improvement and noise compatibility projects at public-use airports.

4. Broadband Initiatives Program - Section 3 of the Let’s Get Wired Act is amended as follows:
3.) $30 billion shall hereby be appropriated over the next 5 years to aims and objectives of the LGW Act. The $30 billion is hereby broken down in the following areas. 

3A.) $12 billion of this funding is for the up-front cost of installing new broadband route in areas currently not receiving an connection of least 25 megabits per second, an upload speed of at least 3 megabits per second.

3B.) $7 billion is hereby granted to the regions of Atlasia to spend on the improving and expanding broadband access.

3C.) $4 billion is hereby allocated for the installation of broadband for rural areas and areas under the oversight of the Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA)

3D.) $3 billion is hereby allocated for a federal jobs training and apprenticeship scheme designed to train employees for the skills needed in the installation of broadband infrastructure.

3E.) $3 billion is hereby allocated for public schools and libraries to improve and expand broadband access.

5. None of the funds appropriated or otherwise made available by this title may be used for a infrastructure project unless all of the iron, steel, and manufactured goods used in the project are produced in the Republic of Atlasia.

Section III. CUBI Benefit Enhancements

The Children's Universal Basic Income Act is amended as follows:

Section 1. Title

This legislation may be cited as the Universal Basic Income Act of 2021.

Section 2. Monthly Universal Basic Income for Families with Children

1. Beginning in January of 2022, individual adults who have a disposable income of less than $100,000 shall be entitled to $2,000 monthly checks.

2. The income received shall not be taxed or counted toward existing benefits.

3. This program shall run until 2028, with the monthly amount decreasing by $100 per each of the twenty remaining months of the program's effectiveness, but may be extended by Congress.

Section IV. Pell Grant Expansion

A.) Section 401 (20 U.S.C. 1070a), as amended by section 703 of the FAFSA Simplification Act (title VII of division FF of Public Law 116–260) (referred to in this Act as the “FAFSA Simplification Act”), is further amended—

(1) in subsection (a)(2)(F), by striking “10 percent” and inserting “5 percent”;

(2) in subsection (b)—

(A) in paragraph (1)(B)(i), by striking “paragraph (5)(A)” and inserting “paragraph (5)”;

(B) by striking paragraph (5) and inserting the following:

“(5) MAXIMUM FEDERAL PELL GRANT.—

“(A) AWARD YEAR 2023–2024.—For award year 2023–2024, the total maximum Federal Pell Grant award shall be $9,000.

“(B) AWARD YEAR 2024–2025.—For award year 2024–2025, the total maximum Federal Pell Grant award shall be $10,000.

“(C) AWARD YEAR 2025–2026.—For award year 2025–2026, the total maximum Federal Pell Grant award shall be $11,000.

“(D) AWARD YEAR 2026–2027.—For award year 2026–2027, the total maximum Federal Pell Grant award shall be $12,000.

“(E) AWARD YEAR 2027–2028.—For award year 2027–2028, the total maximum Federal Pell Grant award shall be $13,000.

“(F) AWARD YEAR 2028–2029 AND SUBSEQUENT YEARS.—For award year 2028–2029, and each subsequent award year, the total maximum Federal Pell Grant award shall be $13,000—

“(i) increased by the adjustment percentage for the award year for which the amount under this subparagraph is being determined; and

“(ii) rounded to the nearest $50.

B.) Clarification of Eligible Institutions – Section 401(a) of the Higher Education Act of 1965 (20 U.S.C. 1070a(a)) is amended by adding at the end the following:

“(4) Notwithstanding any other provision of this Act, for purposes of this section, the terms ‘eligible institution’, ‘institution of higher education’, ‘eligible program’, and ‘institution’ include a program of education that—

“(A) consists of vocational or technical training, flight training, or apprenticeship or other on-job training;

“(B) an individual may pursue using educational assistance pursuant to section 3313(g) of title 38, Atlasian Code;

“(C) is less than 600 clock hours of instruction, 16 semester hours, or 24 quarter hours, offered during a period of less than 15 weeks;

“(D) is not required to be accredited by a nationally recognized accrediting agency or association recognized by the Secretary pursuant to part H;

“(E) is not required to lead to a recognized educational credential;

Section V. Social Security Benefits Enhancement and Payroll Tax Increase

(A) In General.—Section 215(a)(1)(B) of the Social Security Act (42 U.S.C. 415(a)(1)(B)) is amended—

(1) by redesignating clause (iii) as clause (iv); and

(2) by inserting after clause (ii) the following new clause:

“(iii) For individuals who initially become eligible for old-age or disability insurance benefits, or who die (before becoming eligible for such benefits) in any calendar year after 2024, each of the amounts determined under clause (ii) of this subparagraph for purposes of subparagraph (A)(i) shall be increased by—

“(I) for calendar year 2025, 1 percent;

“(II) for each of calendar years 2026 through 2038, the percent determined under this clause for the preceding year increased by 1 percentage point; and

“(III) for calendar year 2039 and each year thereafter, 15 percent.”.

(B). Payroll Tax Increase:

1.) Subchapter A, Section 3101 of the Federal Insurance Contributions Act is amended by striking “6.2 percent” and inserting “7.2 percent”.

2.) Subchapter B, Section 3111, subparagraph (a) of the Federal Insurance Contributions Act is amended by striking “6.2 percent” and inserting “7.2 percent”.

Section VI. Universal School Breakfast and Lunch

A. In General.—Section 4(a) of the Child Nutrition Act of 1966 (42 U.S.C. 1773(a)) is amended, in the first sentence—

(1) by striking “is hereby” and inserting “are”; and

(2) by inserting “to provide free breakfast to all children enrolled at those schools” before “in accordance”.

B. Section 9 of the Richard B. Russell National School Lunch Act (42 U.S.C. 1758) is amended by striking subsection (b) and inserting the following:

“(b) Eligibility.—All children enrolled in a school that participates in the school lunch program under this Act shall be eligible to receive free lunch under this Act.”.

Section VII. Tuition Cap

For students enrolled in a Community College, HBCU, Institution of Higher Education, Public 4-year Institution of Higher education, Tribal College or University, 2-year Tribal College or University, 4-year Tribal College or University, the total amount, including tuition and fees, owed by any individual student shall not exceed $8,000 per year.

Passed 10-3-1-4 in the Atlasian Senate assembled,

Joseph Cao, president pro tempore

Scott, President of the Republic of Atlasia
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2021, 06:47:08 PM »
« Edited: December 18, 2021, 06:50:31 PM by President Scott☀️ »

For the record, I would like to reiterate that the budget will be my next priority, which we are going to accomplish this term. On the policy front, Secretary wxtransit and I would like to renegotiate the North American Free Trade Agreement, which has hit our manufacturing and agricultural sectors hardest. A new trade agreement will be a win for our workers, and the environment.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2021, 07:07:05 PM »

Signing statement: I am pleased to be signing this bill today. Like the New Great Society Act, this bill invests in infrastructure, particularly in our education system.

AN ACT
To make sure that schools have educational devices for their students and high speed internet in schools.

Section 1. Title

This legislation may be cited as the Creating Opportunities for More Educational Technology (COMET) Act of 2021.

Section 2. Content

1. $75 billion shall be appropriated to school districts and homeschooling students across Atlasia for purchasing devices and educational software.
   a. This may include purchasing any of the following for educational use:
      i. laptops,
      ii. tablets,
      iii. desktop computers.
   b. All devices purchased under subsection (a) shall permit installation (and, if necessary, purchase) of the following forms of educational software as necessary:
      i. access to online courses,
      ii. supplemental course materials,
      iii. software systems that aid students in effective learning or comprehension.
   c. Individual schools shall be responsible for determining the choice of devices in subsection (a) and educational software in subsection (b) according to students' learning requirements.
   d. Funds shall be administered to school districts in the following phases, with the cost of the first and second phases not to exceed $20 billion each and succeeding phases not to exceed $15 billion:
      i. phase one, targeting school districts with a median household income in the bottom quintile nationwide, to be completed no later than September 1, 2023;
      ii. phase two, targeting school districts with a median household income in the second quintile nationwide, to be completed no later than September 1, 2025;
      ii. phase three, targeting school districts with a median household income in the third quintile nationwide, to be completed no later than September 1, 2027;
      iv. phase four, targeting school districts with a median household income in the top two quintiles nationwide, to be completed no later than September 1, 2029.
2. No school shall be entitled for treatment as required in section 1 if:
   a. it has an endowment of more than $50,000,000;
   b. it serves a school district with a median household income in the top 10% of households nationwide; or
   c. it has received educational devices or software under federal, state, regional, or private schemes within the last two years from the passage of this Act.
3. Funding for this section will be available for two years and then subject to a full review to analyze its educational effectiveness. The Senate shall then decide whether to continue funding for an additional three years.
4. The Government of the Republic of Atlasia shall have full responsibility for funding everything in this Act.
5. No federal government funds may be used for purchase of new or additional school security equipment, including but not limited to surveillance cameras, facial recognition devices, or metal detectors.

Section 3. Support Services

1. Tech Support will include using the existing school technical support staff, who will be eligible to receive training in the relevant devices and technologies.
2. An Atlasian Education Tech Support networking website shall be created by the Department of Education to enable better support of those making use of this program.
3. Devices are the property of the Republic of Atlasia and may be bought at the end of their period of life for $1. There will be no further support provided in relation to this act after this point.
4. Devices not purchased at end of life are to be returned for refurbishment. These will then be used as backup and replacement devices for broken, stolen damaged devices.

Section 4. Taking Effect

1. This Act shall take effect immediately following the passage of this bill.

Passed 11-1-1-5 in the Atlasian Senate assembled,

Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2021, 11:02:55 PM »

Signing statement: I applaud for the Senate for acting in a bipartisan manner to curb some of the worst excesses of the assault weapons ban. As I've stated many times in the past, I voted against the original ban in its inception and in my last campaign I promised to support a repeal or partial repeal of the bill if the Senate sent me one. And while I would have preferred a more ambitious bill, this is one that I am pleased to sign into law.

AN ACT
To repeal provisions of the Federal Assault Weapon and Automatic Weapon Ban Act.

Be it enacted by the Senate of the Republic of Atlasia assembled
Section 1. Title

1. This act may be cited as the Federal Assault Weapon and Automatic Weapon Ban Amendments Act.

Section 2. Definitions

2. Section II, Subsections D.) and E.) of the Federal Assault Weapon and Automatic Weapon Ban Act are hereby repealed in their entirety, effective immediately.

Passed 10-4-1-3 in the Atlasian Senate assembled,

Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2021, 11:45:04 PM »

Christmas Address

Good evening, everyone.

Tomorrow, millions of Atlasians will gather for what will be, for many, the first "normal Christmas" since the pandemic ravaged our nation and the world. It an important day for Christians everywhere as we celebrate the Birth of our Savior, Jesus Christ, and with respect to those of other or no faith, a time to be with our loved ones. Up close and personal. Fully vaccinated. Free from fear, and free from COVID-19's worst effects.

You wouldn't know it from all the negativity and petty showmanship on the AFE boards we've seen these past few weeks, but there's a real hope that people are feeling. Fewer people are getting sick now. And more of those who do get sick, are not catastrophically so. Those who are the most vulnerable should absolutely continue taking precautions. But the desire to return to a state of pre-COVID normalcy is one that I share with many of you.

So as families across our nation and the globe get together and reflect on these last two years, fret not on all that was lost, but rejoice for all the lives that were saved.

Thank you, Merry Christmas, touch grass if you feel like the first sentence of the second paragraph applies to you, and Dave bless the Republic of Atlasia.

Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2021, 03:13:10 PM »

Statement on the passing of South African Archbishop Desmond Tutu

I am saddened to learn of the death of Archbishop Desmond Tutu, and I extend my sympathies to the people of South Africa at this time. Desmond Tutu was guided by a faith-driven justice for racial equality and reconciliation. He was also a vocal supporter of the LGBT community, and lived a great moral example for those who strive for equality between all people.

Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2021, 09:10:24 PM »
« Edited: December 26, 2021, 09:36:45 PM by President Scott☀️ »

This is a bit overdue, but people deserve to know whether progress on the budget is being made (which it is) and, since we're working on Discord to accomplish things faster, the public ought to know who's part of these talks. So I am officially recognizing a federal budget committee and 'appointing' (or rather acknowledging) its current members.

I am also extending an invitation to PPT Cao.

Quote from: Executive Order 54:04
Establishment of the Federal Budget Committee

The Federal Budget Committee (or the FBC) is hereby established. Members shall be the President, Vice-President, President pro tempore, and any number of additional members at the President's discretion. Any member may resign from the committee at any time.

Senators North Carolina Yankee, Western Democrat, Weatherboy, and S019 are recognized as appointed members.

I would also like to announce two minor changes proposed by the Committee, both pertaining to the NGSA:

1. The budget will be used to clarify language in the NGSA that the CUBI is strictly only for legal guardians.

2. $1,250,000,000 ($250 million per year for five years) will be reallocated from airport infrastructure to maritime infrastructure - specifically, coastal seaports and Great Lakes ports - to improve safety and efficiency standards for transportation of goods. This is a small amount, which will be distributed in the form of federal grants, that will help solve our supply chain crisis and make for faster delivery of goods to the Atlasian people.

Everyone keep their eyes peeled for the upcoming GM Report, which will include FoPo updates as well as inquiry relating to the administration's initiative to renegotiate and modernize NAFTA so that our trade policy reflects today's economic and environmental challenges.

Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2022, 03:21:29 PM »

Happy New Year to all Atlasians! 2022 is the year of the vax and the end of the mask. This is the year the pandemic dies. This is the year of normalcy. Please get your vaccines and boosters.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2022, 04:57:19 PM »

Signing statement: I am glad that a compromise could be reached. The forty-post threshold was necessary when some individuals tried to rig an election by flooding the forum with offsite recruits who otherwise had no intention for involvement in the game. I still support a higher threshold than pre-2021 but was nonetheless willing to compromise a reduction of ten posts from the threshold. Today I sign this bill into law.

Eligibility Adjustment Act

Section 3 clause 9 of the Census Act 2019 is amended to read as follows:

8. In order to be eligible to register, a poster’s Atlas Forum account must have been registered for at least one hundred and sixty-eight hours and must have accumulated at least forty thirty posts.

Passed 7-3-3-5 in the Atlasian Senate assembled,

Western Democrat, President Pro Tempore

Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2022, 01:24:07 AM »

Statement on mask mandates and remote learning

While we have not received official word from our GM as to COVID and the Omicron variant in Atlasia, I am troubled to hear that teachers' unions in cities such as Chicago and Baltimore are voting for remote learning. I want to be very clear when I say that we are moving on from the pandemic in 2022.

That means an end to remote learning and students going back to the classrooms. That means recognizing the great limit masks and mask mandates have, and only requiring them in limited circumstances such as schools, hospitals, airplanes, and community homes. But barring these cases, we are long past the time where widespread mask mandates are necessary in the age of Omicron.

I stand by current vaccine policies because I believed, and still believe, that vaccines are the key to normalcy. And we must also accept that exposure to the virus is inevitable. But Omicron, with its mild effects, is our path away from the pandemic. And so I now say, both as president and as a supporter of public employees, that it's time to go back to work and return our kids to the classroom. I am publicly encouraging this for every jurisdiction in Atlasia, barring areas where infection rates are severe or hospitals are overwhelmed.

I also, of course, encourage state and regional executives to lead the way towards normalcy at a local level! It is time that Atlasia opened back up!

Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2022, 08:54:33 PM »

Signing statement: While I supported, and continue to support, the amendment containing similar language which failed, I believe that the right to organize and bargain collectively is a basic one that should be supported indiscriminately. Unions, when controlled principally by the workers they are intended to represent and cleansed of corrupt elements, play a key role in ensuring the economic security of workers.

AN ACT
To recognize the right to organize

Be it enacted by the Senate of the Republic of Atlasia

Section 1. Title

This legislation may be cited as the Labor Rights Act.

Section 2. Right of public workers to organize

Upon passage of this act, the right for public employees to organize and bargain collectively shall not be infringed.

Passed 9-7-0-2 in the Atlasian Senate assembled,

Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2022, 05:29:10 PM »

Today I would like to publicly announce that I am officially disavowing Senator Pericles and withholding all current and future support for future candidacies.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2022, 06:16:13 PM »

Statement on Senate procedural abuse and February plans

First, I would like to once again express how disappointed I am in some members of my party, who are currently attempting to thwart the legislative process by means of filibustering legislation with frivolous amendments. It is even more disappointing that Pericles, a distinguished two-term president in the Labor Party, has vowed to do all in his power to stop the AWB. This, as it happens, is contrary to his attitude about the OTL US Senate filibuster, but he has made clear that his opposition to the filibuster is for bills he personally likes.

To remedy this problem, I have introduced an amendment to the Senate rules which will prevent the Senate minority from blocking bills. I want to emphasize that this rules change has nothing to do with the issue of the assault weapons ban, but rather the institution of the Senate as a whole and how other legislation may be obstructed by a minority of senators. Make no mistake: any short-term gain from stalling the assault weapons repeal will result in long-term abuse and, therefore, further degradation of the game.

I would be remiss not to say this episode has made me reevaluate my priorities, how those line up with the oath I swore to the Atlasian people, and whether Labor is, in fact, a friend of democracy.

I have also been reflecting much on what I had planned for the future this year, and frankly, weighing all these factors has led me to conclude that time would be better spent on these endeavors. That is not to say I am leaving or even taking a break from Atlas, but I do intend on scaling back my involvement.

And so, with that said, I am officially announcing that I will not seek reelection as president in February. I maintain my promise that a budget will be complete, and I will follow through on GM updates, which have sadly been scarce. But I have decided that early March is when I once again become a private citizen.

Hopefully at that time, I will hand the keys to the White House over to a good and capable successor, who shares my vision of preserving the institutions of this game. The people of Atlasia deserve no less.

Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2022, 02:51:13 PM »
« Edited: January 15, 2022, 03:22:12 PM by President Scott☀️ »

Redraft statement: While I appreciate the sentiment behind giving Nathan and Antonio V their own day, I have made clear that I do not support federal holidays commemorating political parties. I am changing the substance of the bill to celebrate these two Atlas greats, both of whom have had limited or no involvement in the game for many years, but have contributed substantially to the forum community outside Atlasia. I am also removing section 2.3, which is nothing if not a vague, unfunded mandate.

Quote from: Proposed Redraft
AN ACT
To honor Nathan and Antonio for their contributions to the Atlas Forum community

Section 1. Title

This legislation may be cited as the Nathan-Antonio Day Act.

Section 2. Establishment of Federal Holiday

1. Sunday, the thirtieth of January, two thousand and twenty-two, is hereby designated "Nathan-Antonio Day".

2. Nathan-Antonio Day is established as a full federal holiday for the Republic of Atlasia, and will continued to be celebrated as such annually on the thirtieth of January.

Passed 8-6-0-4 in the Atlasian Senate assembled,

Proposed redraft

windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2022, 03:13:21 PM »

I would be remiss not to say this episode has made me reevaluate my priorities, how those line up with the oath I swore to the Atlasian people, and whether Labor is, in fact, a friend of democracy.

I mean, Labor literally stole a seat when Laki resigned and that didn't prevent you from seeking the party's nomination even after that.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2022, 03:19:41 PM »

I mean, Labor literally stole a seat when Laki resigned and that didn't prevent you from seeking the party's nomination even after that.

The Green Party was never a stable organization despite leaning left, at least in name and in accordance with Laki's flaky ideology.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2022, 03:28:24 PM »

The Green Party was never a stable organization despite leaning left, at least in name and in accordance with Laki's flaky ideology.

Yes but in the end it was an anti labor party and we stole their seat.

Seriously, Labor has never been a pro democracy party. I understand you are pissed by Pericles' attempt to overthrow a bill you support. But this is something labor would have done for other legislations (examply: a fed president attempting to gut the whole healthcare system).

I literally wrote senate rules with many poisons pills inside it to go nuclear if Griffin wanted to go that way when him and I were still both active.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2022, 03:33:43 PM »

Seriously, Labor has never been a pro democracy party. I understand you are pissed by Pericles' attempt to overthrow a bill you support. But this is something labor would have done for other legislations (examply: a fed president attempting to gut the whole healthcare system).

I literally wrote senate rules with many poisons pills inside it to go nuclear if Griffin wanted to go that way when him and I were still both active.

I oppose Pericles' attempt to exploit the rules to make our Senate more like the US Senate. None of the bills we pass affect anyone, repeal or no repeal. The legislative process is how the game is played.

I understand that many in Labor value the party over the game, as is their prerogative. I do not. And you guys will be rid of me in less than two months anyway.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2022, 08:39:53 PM »

I oppose Pericles' attempt to exploit the rules to make our Senate more like the US Senate. None of the bills we pass affect anyone, repeal or no repeal. The legislative process is how the game is played.

I understand that many in Labor value the party over the game, as is their prerogative. I do not. And you guys will be rid of me in less than two months anyway.

I don’t support a filibuster like the US has, I only oppose the AWB repeal.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2022, 01:58:52 PM »

Quote from: Executive Order 54:05
Effective immediately, an embargo shall be placed on all exchanges of grain, silicon, and germanium products between the Republic of Atlasia and the People's Republic of China.

Quote from: Executive 54:06
The Department of State shall be authorized to coordinate an airlift of food and supplies to the people of Taiwan, in conjunction with allied nations.

The administration has determined that continued economic sanctioning of the People's Republic of China is necessary to prevent large-scale conflict. Therefore, we have opted to expand the embargo to include grain and semiconductor componentry - two of our largest exports to the PRC.

Secretary wxtransit and I also continue to work closely with our allies, particularly fellow NATO countries as well as our friends in the Pacific and Oceania, to isolate the PRC as much as economically possible, and to help supply much needed food and supplies to Taiwan via airlift. Indicators strongly suggest, per the recent update, that our current strategies are working.

I remain willing to engage in peace talks with President Xi to end the embargo, however we will continue to insist that any "diplomatic solution" concludes with the end of the blockade. "Reunification", as President Xi so desires, is simply not an option and will never be considered. I implore the PRC to come to the negotiating table if and when it intends on scaling back its aggression towards the Taiwanese people.

Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2022, 12:39:18 AM »

Signing statement: I am pleased to sign this bill into law, and I would be remiss not to publicly acknowledge the importance of this law for future reference unless otherwise changed. This shall be, as I pledged to the Senate, the model for the FY2022 and FY2023 budgets, as well as all concurrent ones.

It is also in signing this that I urge the Senate to pass the Harry S Truman Memorial Anti-Lazy Legislating Resolution. This new law and this resolution are complementary to each other in ensuring that every dime we spend or tax is accounted for (roughly speaking, of course).

SENATE BILL
Because trying to sort through the existing mess is murder and because people don't listen!

Be it enacted in the Senate Assembled,

The Scott-Yankee Memorial Budget Process Act of 2022

Section 1:  Previous Legislation
1. The Budget Process & Control Act of 2017 is hereby repealed

Section 2: Definitions
1. Fiscal Year: Fiscal Year shall be a twelve month period from October 1st until September 30th of the next calendar year.

2. Budget: A piece of legislation that shall be passed each year by October 1st, for the fiscal year commencing that date, functioning as an omnibus appropriations bill.

3. Authorizations: Any spending that is mentioned or included in laws other than the budget. 

Section 3: The Budget Process
1. The President shall submit to the Senate no later than April 1st, a budget proposal for the fiscal year starting October 1st.

2. No spending authorized after August 1st shall be included in the budget for the fiscal year starting October 1st, but shall instead take effect the following fiscal year thereafter.  Emergency measures shall be excluded from this restriction, on declaration of the President, provided such spending does not exceed two fiscal years.

3. If the President fails to submit a budget by April 1st, Congress should proceed with its own proposal.

4. All non-exempt appropriations shall be amended into the budget on or following August 1st.

Section 4: Authorizations Bills
1. Any bill that includes spending shall be considered an authorization bill, excepting for the budget itself.

2. All spending must be explicitly stated in legislation to be authorized and all authorizations affecting taxation must pass with revenue estimates. 

3. No spending may be appropriated in the budget without having first been authorized.

4. Emergency measures shall be exempt from clauses 3 and 4, on declaration of the President, provided such spending does not exceed two fiscal years.

Section 5: Implementation
1. This bill shall take effect beginning with the fiscal year commencing October 1, 2022 and the budget and related spending bills passed for such.

People's and Region's Senate
Passed 12-0-0-6 in the Atlasian Senate assembled,

Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2022, 05:59:04 AM »

As I officially re-enter the race, I am proud to simultaneously unveil the first authorization bill, which postpones federal spending passed during the previous fiscal year, with the exceptions of emergency spending to alleviate our supply chain crisis as well as our aid package to Paflagonia.

I'm very excited to build on the gains we've made in this game, which is currently at its most active level in a long time!

West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2022, 06:38:36 AM »

As I officially re-enter the race, I am proud to simultaneously unveil the first authorization bill, which postpones federal spending passed during the previous fiscal year, with the exceptions of emergency spending to alleviate our supply chain crisis as well as our aid package to Paflagonia.

I'm very excited to build on the gains we've made in this game, which is currently at its most active level in a long time!

I am greatly encouraged to see the President jump back into the race. This turn of events is not something I would have predicted (his jumping back into the race). The President is someone who I respect. He is someone with integrity and he is someone who has important values which I agree with a great deal. However, I won't go so far as to endorse this candidacy because I do not want to have a repeat of the last election when I rescinded my endorsement twice and finally abstained (oof).

(FTR, I am also very interested in DabbingSanta's campaign).
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2022, 12:09:13 AM »

Redraft statement: Let me first state that bills like this are really not what I had ever intended to be a primary focus of my administration, and I'm very disappointed in the way the process for this repeal played out in many respects. Nonetheless, I will follow through on my promise to support a repeal of the AWB, as well as to redraft this bill with the random amendment to an 88-year-old law removed.

Mr. President, the following legislation has passed the Senate, and awaits your signature or veto:

AN ACT
To repeal the Federal Assault Weapon and Automatic Weapon Ban Act in its entirety.

Be it enacted by the Senate of the Republic of Atlasia assembled

Section 1. Title

1. This act may be cited as the Federal Assault Weapon and Automatic Weapon Ban Full Repeal Act.

Section 2. Definitions

2. All sections of the Federal Assault Weapon and Automatic Weapon Ban Act are hereby repealed in their entirety, effective immediately.

3. The categories of weapons set out in the repealed legislation shall subsequently be regulated under the National Firearms Act.

Passed 10-5-1-2 in the Atlasian Senate assembled,

Proposed redraft

Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2022, 12:46:33 AM »
« Edited: February 16, 2022, 09:16:18 PM by President Scott☀️ »

Trade Reform

As the madness from the South recedes, and I prepare to enter the final month of my presidency, my next priorities are the budget and trade reform. I must say, I am pleased that both Prime Minister Trudeau and President Obrador have signaled public interest. I look forward to meeting them both in the coming weeks.

NAFTA simply hasn't been working for ordinary people. American workers have lost out. Mexican farmers have lost out. It's a bad trade deal. And we can do better and we are going to do better.

I want to emphasize that our new trade deal will be fair to all workers. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Atlasia first, but not Atlasia alone. My administration stands firmly with workers of all nations, especially those who lost out in the New Economy.

My proposals for reform can be reflected here. I will summarize what these proposed reforms are (and most of it is copied and pasted from the source, no sue pls):

1. Eliminate the private justice system for foreign investors.

This is a private justice system, known as investor-state dispute settlement, which allows foreign investors to challenge local, state, and federal laws before private panels of corporate lawyers.

2. Strengthen the labor and environment obligations (the North American Agreement on Labor Cooperation and the North American Agreement on Environmental Cooperation), include them in the agreement, and ensure they are enforced.

The aims of NAFTA were not to raise worker standards or ensure clean air and water. We need stricter enforcement of laws against worker exploitation and environmental abuse.

3. Address currency manipulation by creating binding rules subject to enforcement and possible sanctions.

Within months after NAFTA’s approval by Congress, Mexico devalued the peso and wiped out potential overnight gains from NAFTA's tariff reductions. All Atlasian trade agreements, including NAFTA, should be upgraded to create binding rules, subject to trade sanctions, to prevent such game playing.

4. Upgrade NAFTA’s rules of origin, particularly on autos and auto parts, to reinforce auto sector jobs in North America.

This one's a bit more specific:

NAFTA’s rules require that automobiles be 62.5% “made in North America” to qualify for duty-free treatment under NAFTA. Even though 62.5% seems high compared with the Trans-Pacific Partnership’s inadequate 45%, it still allows for nearly 40% of a car to be made in China, Thailand or elsewhere. The auto rule of origin should be upgraded to eliminate loopholes (through products “deemed originating” in North America) and to provide additional incentives to produce in North America. This, combined with improved labor standards, will contribute to a more robust labor market and help North American workers gain from trade.

5. Delete the procurement chapter that undermines “Buy Atlasian” laws (Chapter 10).

NAFTA contains provisions that require the Atlasian government to treat Canadian and Mexican goods and services as "Atlasian" for many purchasing decisions. This means that efforts to create jobs for Atlasia's workers by investing in infrastructure or other projects, including after the 2008 crisis, could be ineffective. The entire chapter should be deleted and Atlasia should "buy Atlasian" and support domestic industry, as I have always supported.

6. Upgrade the trade enforcement chapter (Chapter 19).

Also best explained by the source:

NAFTA allows for a final review of a domestic anti-dumping or countervailing duty case by a binational panel instead of by a competent domestic court. This rule, omitted from subsequent trade deals, has hampered trade enforcement, hurting Atlasian firms and their employees. It should be improved or omitted.

These are my proposals for trade reform, and I look forward to working with the State Department, as well as our friends in Canada and Mexico, to create a trade policy that empowers workers of all nationalities and strengthens environmental protections.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies