I am a democrat BUT... The democratic party needs to change.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 11:15:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  I am a democrat BUT... The democratic party needs to change.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: I am a democrat BUT... The democratic party needs to change.  (Read 4097 times)
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2021, 01:11:23 AM »

"Im a massive pussy who has no explanation on why the GOP is allowed to go as far right as it wants but Ds lose elections due to the far left...Rs can go as far right as they want with no reprecussion but being far left costs Ds elections"
R.P. McM
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2021, 01:20:55 AM »

I'd rather just wait for them to die off, thanks.

"Hey Guys, let's start targeting racists and bigots!" isn't a valid response to a loss of 3% due to turnout.

The democrats are in much worse shape than they were in 2009 and soon will be worse than they were in 2012 despite Millianials and gen z having far more influence now .

Also lol at blaming the loss at turnout given Terry won more votes than Northam did 4 years ago lol . You can’t compare an presidential year to non presidential one directly as there are Millions of people who only do care about the presidential race

Due to glaring democratic deficiencies in our system and your party effectively pursuing authoritarian and anti-democratic means to cement the rule of the minority? Sure. Don't act like the majority of this country supports you -- y'all haven't had a President who won the popular vote in his first term since 1988, LOL.

You are correct about comparing Presidential and Off-Year elections. I mean; the fact is that the more people who vote, the more Democrats (usually) win. It's undeniable that minority and youth vote dropping drastically had a big impact.

Lol if elections were based on the popular vote , the nature of the campaigns themselves would change lol  . Also you are once again wrong about turnout and 2004, 2016, and 2020 should have disproved that point . Turnout massively  went up in 2004 and it benefited Bush , turnout increased from 2012 to 2016 and it benefited Trump and in 2020 turnout massively increased and it literally had basically no effect as 2020 was basically 2016 if most third party voters voted democratic .Also keeping in mind that T-Mac won more votes than Northam did yet he lost while Northam easily won .

Yes, exactly. The GOP would never have nominated a grotesque, unqualified, racist sexual predator. Which would be a wonderful thing. Republicans wouldn't have to answer for the treasonous acts of their leader, or the tens of thousands of unnecessary Covid deaths.

Also if you are complaining about senate allocation , the fact is it’s not gonna change so you better appeal to the voters the OP is talking about or you will be in the permanent minority in that chamber

No thanks. I just don't see any universe in which a political system continues to function when ~30% of the population controls ~70% of the Senate seats. It's a recipe for revolution, which would be immensely destructive to conservative interests. So it's time for Republicans such as yourself to start compromising. I certainly don't view you folks as patriots post-Trump, but it is your patriotic duty. Otherwise, if you insist on continuing to ratf**k at every available opportunity, you'll eventually reap the whirlwind. I no longer want to live alongside you, and the more you sabotage the political process, the more Democrats come to agree with me.

Republicans were in the minority for 40 consecutive years in the house and no matter how much they whined about how unfair it was, they had to deal with that.

Yeah, 'cause most of the electorate didn't support GOP candidates. Except, occasionally, for president. You're advocating for an authoritarian system in which the GOP continues to exercise minority rule. Which is destined to fail spectacularly. I'm trying to save Republicans from themselves, but unlike the UK Tories, y'all just won't listen. Heaven help you.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2021, 12:31:32 PM »

I love how the takeaway is not "the voters aren't racist," but rather "we shouldn't look down on the voters despite the fact that they're racist."

The latter is the better takeaway.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2021, 06:25:28 PM »

Is there anything more democratic then complaining that the party is in shambles

Yup, claiming the party isn't really a party at all.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2021, 04:22:11 AM »

The problem with both parties in this country is that they want it all and refuse to give up on anything. This is what leads to the polarization. You look at the previously progressive coalitions, they included a lot of working class voters whose views on a variety of issues were shall we say not exactly progressive, but god damn they loved their unions, hated the banks and knew they had to "Vote Democrat to live like a Republican".

Now the Democratic Senator from West Virginia is complaining about inflation and calling buy union provisions un-American. You think Robert Byrd talked like that in the 1970s?

Somewhere along the line, all of the red state Dems became Senators for Wal-Mart and all of the blue state Democrats started leading with woke. Its not even a case of them opting to vote on culture instead of the economy, since the local Democrats are literally bought and paid for.

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2021, 07:38:27 AM »

"Hey Guys, let's start targeting racists and bigots!" isn't a valid response to a loss of 3% due to turnout.

The democrats are in much worse shape than they were in 2009 and soon will be worse than they were in 2012 despite Millianials and gen z having far more influence now .

Also lol at blaming the loss at turnout given Terry won more votes than Northam did 4 years ago lol . You can’t compare an presidential year to non presidential one directly as there are Millions of people who only do care about the presidential race

Due to glaring democratic deficiencies in our system and your party effectively pursuing authoritarian and anti-democratic means to cement the rule of the minority? Sure. Don't act like the majority of this country supports you -- y'all haven't had a President who won the popular vote in his first term since 1988, LOL.

You are correct about comparing Presidential and Off-Year elections. I mean; the fact is that the more people who vote, the more Democrats (usually) win. It's undeniable that minority and youth vote dropping drastically had a big impact.

Lol if elections were based on the popular vote , the nature of the campaigns themselves would change lol  . Also you are once again wrong about turnout and 2004, 2016, and 2020 should have disproved that point . Turnout massively  went up in 2004 and it benefited Bush , turnout increased from 2012 to 2016 and it benefited Trump and in 2020 turnout massively increased and it literally had basically no effect as 2020 was basically 2016 if most third party voters voted democratic .Also keeping in mind that T-Mac won more votes than Northam did yet he lost while Northam easily won .

Yes, exactly. The GOP would never have nominated a grotesque, unqualified, racist sexual predator. Which would be a wonderful thing. Republicans wouldn't have to answer for the treasonous acts of their leader, or the tens of thousands of unnecessary Covid deaths.

Also if you are complaining about senate allocation , the fact is it’s not gonna change so you better appeal to the voters the OP is talking about or you will be in the permanent minority in that chamber

No thanks. I just don't see any universe in which a political system continues to function when ~30% of the population controls ~70% of the Senate seats. It's a recipe for revolution, which would be immensely destructive to conservative interests. So it's time for Republicans such as yourself to start compromising. I certainly don't view you folks as patriots post-Trump, but it is your patriotic duty. Otherwise, if you insist on continuing to ratf**k at every available opportunity, you'll eventually reap the whirlwind. I no longer want to live alongside you, and the more you sabotage the political process, the more Democrats come to agree with me.

Republicans were in the minority for 40 consecutive years in the house and no matter how much they whined about how unfair it was, they had to deal with that.

Yeah, 'cause most of the electorate didn't support GOP candidates. Except, occasionally, for president. You're advocating for an authoritarian system in which the GOP continues to exercise minority rule. Which is destined to fail spectacularly. I'm trying to save Republicans from themselves, but unlike the UK Tories, y'all just won't listen. Heaven help you.

It’s illiterate to compare the composition of Congress between 1946 and 1994 and any time after 2010.
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2021, 08:03:35 AM »

The problem with both parties in this country is that they want it all and refuse to give up on anything. This is what leads to the polarization. You look at the previously progressive coalitions, they included a lot of working class voters whose views on a variety of issues were shall we say not exactly progressive, but god damn they loved their unions, hated the banks and knew they had to "Vote Democrat to live like a Republican".

Now the Democratic Senator from West Virginia is complaining about inflation and calling buy union provisions un-American. You think Robert Byrd talked like that in the 1970s?

Somewhere along the line, all of the red state Dems became Senators for Wal-Mart and all of the blue state Democrats started leading with woke. Its not even a case of them opting to vote on culture instead of the economy, since the local Democrats are literally bought and paid for.

The above is, almost in its entirety, the result of the parties becoming more ideologically pure.  Conservative voters no longer become part of the Democratic Party, not even in the South.  Liberal voters are no longer entering the GOP, not even in suburbia.  Differences between liberals and differences between conservatives are all hashed out within their party's framework, but there is little overlap between the parties.

In that sense, there has never been much real "bipartisanship".  It was moderate and liberal Republicans that provided Democrats with their majorities.  It was conservative Democrats that produces ideological majorities in a number of Congresses during the 60 out of 64 years of straight Democratic control of the House (54 of 64 years in the Senate) prior to 1994.  

To the broader point of the thread:  How can the Democratic Party hope to make the kind of inroads into middle class America and small town America when it intends to pursue policies that will reduce their standard of living?  In the name of climate change, Democrats propose policies which will drive the cost of gasoline to the point where it will significantly affect the family budgets of rural and small-town voters, who use their own vehicles more?  In the name of "antiracism", Democrats advocate infusion of CRT concepts into educational curriculum that seek to delegitimize the accomplishments and standing of the Middle Class and Working Class which, for all its faults, are the people that actually do the work of America.  Democrats have excoriated forcible responses to violent protests of leftists (while being OK with cancelling the 4th and 8th Amendments with regards to J6ers) with no regard for their safety of life, limb, and property.  Why should those concerned with personal safety find solace in a political party who's attitude toward the safety of the property and homes of ordinary Americans in the face of rioting leftists is downright cavalier?

The majority of Democrats these days are either wholly dishonest on this issue or entirely intimidated by the Far Left of the party, which holds more sway within the party now than at any point in my lifetime.  They are not advocates for the well-being of the middle class and working classes.  If the suburbs swung sharply to the GOP this year, or if rural areas now vote monolithically Republican, it's not because they are convinced that the GOP is on their side, but it IS because they HOPE they'll be on their side at least somewhat?  The Democratic Party has given these people the back of their hand, and while they are perhaps not of sufficient intellectual prowess to be given a full scholarship to Yale, they were smart enough in high school to know when their boyfriend or girlfriend was dumping them and they are smart enough now to know when one of the major political party's attitude toward them is varying degrees of "You suck!".
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2021, 08:34:24 AM »

If Trump was in office he would be losing seats too Congress but D's have a chance for a comeback Trump would have a Supermajority D Congress

COVID is the issue and high gas prices not the D party and Biden is crooked but he isn't criminal, Clinton perjured himself but Rs commit Treason with Iran Contra, Watergate abd outing a CiA operative with Bush W and Russia had to do with them
Southern Reactionary Dem
SouthernReactionaryDem
Rookie
United States

« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2021, 01:44:39 PM »

This election should be a warning sign to democrats to NOT look down on these voters simply because they don't have a college education or they voted for Trump, or they are racist. They have legimate concerns. I don't agree with their solutions.... but they have valid concerns.

GET AWAY FROM YALE AND HARVARD. Start going into these communities. Do we even need a internship in rural America for democrats ? We should like talk with them, see why they're so angry.

As a child of blue collar working class immigrants, I can see first hand why the Democrats on a national level are so unappealing. People might make fun of " Small Town ", But many Americans love to live in Small Town. Traditional Values. Tradition. Respect. Law and Order. Economic stability.  

The Middle Class is dying and these people are going to become very very angry. ( Ironically though, the Republicans started the policies that led to this moment, the democrats won't say it because like Terry, THEY ALSO INVEST IN THESE THINGS !! ).

WHY DON'T WE GET IT ?? THESE ARE AMERICANS TOO !

Here here, though the hollowing out of the middle class is a massive bipartisan neoliberal failure. The Republicans didn't force Clinton into signing NAFTA, deregulating banks or Obama to propose an awful healthcare hatchet job from the heritage foundation. Both parties also love exploiting labor from illegal immigration. That's why nothing ever gets done on that front. American citizens will do the work if you properly compensate them.
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2021, 12:42:51 AM »

This election should be a warning sign to democrats to NOT look down on these voters simply because they don't have a college education or they voted for Trump, or they are racist. They have legimate concerns. I don't agree with their solutions.... but they have valid concerns.

GET AWAY FROM YALE AND HARVARD. Start going into these communities. Do we even need a internship in rural America for democrats ? We should like talk with them, see why they're so angry.

As a child of blue collar working class immigrants, I can see first hand why the Democrats on a national level are so unappealing. People might make fun of " Small Town ", But many Americans love to live in Small Town. Traditional Values. Tradition. Respect. Law and Order. Economic stability.  

The Middle Class is dying and these people are going to become very very angry. ( Ironically though, the Republicans started the policies that led to this moment, the democrats won't say it because like Terry, THEY ALSO INVEST IN THESE THINGS !! ).

WHY DON'T WE GET IT ?? THESE ARE AMERICANS TOO !

Here here, though the hollowing out of the middle class is a massive bipartisan neoliberal failure. The Republicans didn't force Clinton into signing NAFTA, deregulating banks or Obama to propose an awful healthcare hatchet job from the heritage foundation. Both parties also love exploiting labor from illegal immigration. That's why nothing ever gets done on that front. American citizens will do the work if you properly compensate them.

I was 35 during the 1992 campaign, and I remember in the debates how Bush 41 (who I didn't vote for and view as the guy that got the Globalist poison in our drinking water) pointed out that he was FOR NAFTA and Perot was AGAINST NAFTA, but "Governor Clinton won't say where he stands on NAFTA."  They don't call him Slick Willie for nothing.  Clinton on NAFTA in 1992 was like Harding on the League of Nations in 1920; they were deliberately vague in the hope of undecided voters concluding that, on the key issue, the candidate would ultimately come THEIR way.  And, yet, once in office, Clinton adopted NAFTA as his own achievement, signed it, and got it ratified.  As if that weren't enough, DEMOCRAT Bill Clinton became the President to get rid of Glass-Steagall. 

Being a socially conservative populist, the Democratic Party was once a good fit for me.  Yes, it had it's socially radical dipsticks, but there was little or nothing in the GOP that I wanted; they were the party of big business, authoritarianism, and anti-union.  Over the years, however, the Democratic Party has certainly become the party of authoritarians and big business.  (Are those two things linked?)  Wright Patman would spin in his grave if he saw today's Democratic Party. 

The GOP isn't great, but there are SOME there whose priorities are the middle class and the working class.  The Democrats are national Limousine Liberals; John Lindsay on steroids.  They've become that, and they're working on it to make it more so. 
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2021, 10:15:59 AM »

You know, it's completely insufferable of you, even more than usual, to yammer on and post after post over the last several days about how democrats need to change blah blah blah. Whereas the ugly little reality little friend, is the American public overwhelmingly hate hates hates your economic policy-you're meaning yours personally as well as it captured by your party, of domestic spending cuts yeah and tax cuts for high earners . The American people also want environmental regulation, but unfortunately a substantial percentage can be gold in the thinking that the green new deal Will ban plain travel, et cetera.

If you want to worry about a party that needs to Improve its image and standing with the American people, jettison all your extremely unpopular right wing economic policies that you particularly fetishize over. Till then kindly drink a big glass of STFU juice, reboot yourself, or whatever it takes to quit being such an annoying twit.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2021, 10:18:18 AM »

Uh... have you guys seen the media/pundit coverage of the reaction to last week? It's basically, ugh Glenn Youngkin won because people are so racist and they're so stupid they fell for anti-CRT talking points which "isn't real". Oh and anybody who voted for Winsome Sears is a white supremacist. The same people who voted for Biden and then Youngkin, are just as racist as your base Republicans, just like how Obama Trump voters became disposable after 2016. As soon as they vote R, they become bad people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY3CuLwGUx0

You saw a little bit of this last year too, before Biden ended up winning in the days following. "Is this who we are?" Joy Reid asked on election night 2020, stunned at how close the result was. Of course, in a good, moral nation that Joy Reid approves of, the result would never even be close. Everyone would just agree with her and vote for the only party that is good and decent, the Democrats.

They are not going to change anytime soon. They are doubling down on everything. It exemplifies why they lost in the first place. They have a condescending moral superiority complex that they cannot get rid of. No trends are reversing any time soon.

Is welcome a yes, in any good and just world trump would have never been elected and 2020 would have been a blowout.. Unfortunately there are some very very stupid voters constituting abyet Buddha's constituting about 45% of this country who get an unfair is there inflated  Is borderline political majority via is the senate allocation towards underpopulated rural States, if rural States, the electoral college, and Jerry mander. Not sure what the issue here is.

I take that back. The Republican party is awful. It's just a question of what democrats need to do to win. Answer is answer, harp on economic issues all day
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2021, 12:14:59 PM »

You know, it's completely insufferable of you, even more than usual, to yammer on and post after post over the last several days about how democrats need to change blah blah blah. Whereas the ugly little reality little friend, is the American public overwhelmingly hate hates hates your economic policy-you're meaning yours personally as well as it captured by your party, of domestic spending cuts yeah and tax cuts for high earners . The American people also want environmental regulation, but unfortunately a substantial percentage can be gold in the thinking that the green new deal Will ban plain travel, et cetera.

If you want to worry about a party that needs to Improve its image and standing with the American people, jettison all your extremely unpopular right wing economic policies that you particularly fetishize over. Till then kindly drink a big glass of STFU juice, reboot yourself, or whatever it takes to quit being such an annoying twit.

I’m not as economically right wing as you think lol other than on deregulation. I support imposing a Border Adjustment Tax , limiting the NOL deduction for examples when it comes to tax policy and I support strong anti trust laws as well.

DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2021, 01:37:12 PM »

I assume the rurals are angry that they are dying off and Covid and just the actual population pyramid of the baby boomers means it's accelerating. 

I mean look at WV.  In the 2019 ACS estimate it has 256,000 people in the 55-64 age bracket and 214,000 in the 10-19 age bracket and 190,000 in the 0-9.  I mean they complain about people leaving all the time, but they don't seem to acknowledge that they're leaving via the ground.  How are you going to change that?   Have a bunch of immigrants come in?  Have a smaller group of people have way more babies? 

In real terms, WV had a little over 5,000 more deaths than births in 2018 and 2019.  In 2020 that reached 8500 and this year they look likely to hit 10000.  Now WV is a small state, only a little over 0.5% of the population so if the whole country was like WV, then we'd have 1.9 million more deaths than births.  Only that dude that wants us down to 250 million in 2050 would like that. 

The obese former billionaire that's Governor said he's gonna make WV grow again, but with a bunch of unvaxxed morons and drug deaths hitting record highs how does that work?  I guess as long as fed money flows the healthcare sector will boom until they run out of people.  They actually did launch a program this year to pay people to move to WV (funded by a former tech exec from WV) 50 families for Monongalia (the University), 50 families for Jefferson (DC suburb) and 50 families for Greenbriar (where the Governor owns a country club)--so basically they're trying to buy a few educated people to move to the most educated parts of the state.  So far, they've just done the Monongalia one.  Genius.
Joe McCarthy Was Right
Rookie
United States

« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2021, 10:17:39 PM »

In the Virginia governor's race, it looks to me like Democrats lost more ground in educated areas. There's not enough non-college whites to explain the swings in Falls Church or Fairfax County. Southwest Virginia didn't move much.
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2021, 04:05:45 PM »

I love how every time we get one of these “elitism” woke-scolding lectures (because a moderate lost lol) ppl just act like white = working class when the majority of working class people aren’t white, lean far to the left, and don’t vote because they think democrats are corrupt.

Which is not to say that I don’t think political correctness is a problem for democrats, it obviously is although I’m not really sure what the utility of supposed party supporters making it into a bigger deal is… but the problem is obviously the nepotism, the obsession with chasing white rich people (why is nobody as outraged by the SALT cap as they are #defundthepolice?, both are v unpopular), the constant repeating Republican talking points as if they weren’t already duly noted

We need strong persuasion and turnout operations, but third way centrism fails to meet both of those challenges! It is the political ideology, ironically enough, only of the Harvard elites that you are referencing… only the old ones not the young ones. And yet somehow whenever moderate white Dems lose elections, moderate white men in the media tell us the solution is to… do nothing? Pass no bills? Succumb to Republican talking points about popular policies instead of passing them? Definitional insanity from a community that at best makes up a fifth of the Democratic coalition (when they aren’t voting gop that is) and is used to being the center of attention.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2021, 05:15:32 PM »

I don't even care anymore.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2021, 05:55:31 PM »

I love how every time we get one of these “elitism” woke-scolding lectures (because a moderate lost lol) ppl just act like white = working class when the majority of working class people aren’t white, lean far to the left, and don’t vote because they think democrats are corrupt.

Which is not to say that I don’t think political correctness is a problem for democrats, it obviously is although I’m not really sure what the utility of supposed party supporters making it into a bigger deal is… but the problem is obviously the nepotism, the obsession with chasing white rich people (why is nobody as outraged by the SALT cap as they are #defundthepolice?, both are v unpopular), the constant repeating Republican talking points as if they weren’t already duly noted

We need strong persuasion and turnout operations, but third way centrism fails to meet both of those challenges! It is the political ideology, ironically enough, only of the Harvard elites that you are referencing… only the old ones not the young ones. And yet somehow whenever moderate white Dems lose elections, moderate white men in the media tell us the solution is to… do nothing? Pass no bills? Succumb to Republican talking points about popular policies instead of passing them? Definitional insanity from a community that at best makes up a fifth of the Democratic coalition (when they aren’t voting gop that is) and is used to being the center of attention.
Nobody said working class = white. Woke insanity is unpopular with minorities as well, its mostly the rich white socially progressive Warren voters who it appeals to. Focusing on economics and dropping the woke stuff (which does NOT mean ignoring race issues, it just means not being insane and alienating about it) will help with working class voters of ALL races.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2021, 06:01:36 PM »

The Problem with the Democratic Party is that they have moved too far to the left during the Trump Presidency and continued it under the Biden Presidency.

Evidence of it is that House Democrats have 221 Seats, 91 of them belong Democratic Progressive Caucus under the Stewartship of Pramila Jayapal.

It's too to govern when nearly 50 % are Progressives.

Pelosi, Hoyer and Clyburn aren't calling the Shots in the House. It's Jayapal & her cohorts.

The Democrats need to get rid of these Cori Bushes, AOC's Jamaal Bowmans, Rashida Talibs or Ilhan Omars otherwise they will be soon in permanent House Minority.
Asenath Waite
Fulbright DNC
United States

« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2021, 09:56:17 AM »

The Problem with the Democratic Party is that they have moved too far to the left during the Trump Presidency and continued it under the Biden Presidency.

Evidence of it is that House Democrats have 221 Seats, 91 of them belong Democratic Progressive Caucus under the Stewartship of Pramila Jayapal.

It's too to govern when nearly 50 % are Progressives.

Pelosi, Hoyer and Clyburn aren't calling the Shots in the House. It's Jayapal & her cohorts.

The Democrats need to get rid of these Cori Bushes, AOC's Jamaal Bowmans, Rashida Talibs or Ilhan Omars otherwise they will be soon in permanent House Minority.

The problem is that many of the centrists are corporatists who are just as politically inept, like Krysten Sinema who killed a plan to negotiate prescription drug benefits. The left has popular economic views but is too far-left on social issues. What Democrats need ideally is an economically populist contingent that embraces a big tent on cultural issues. David Shor has talked about this a lot, run candidates like this in purplish districts and it’s the way to go. The problem is that as evidenced by some of the comments here both mainstream Dems and leftists seem to have no interest in that.
Asenath Waite
Fulbright DNC
United States

« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2021, 09:59:52 AM »

and yes many rural white people are racist. I’d rather have a world in which racism wasn’t central to their political identity and it wasn’t until fairly recently. Plenty of poor Black people are homophobic and anti-Semitic but that doesn’t mean they’re undeserving of economic justice and the same should go for poor white people in Appalachia. Their kids are innocent and deserve a shot at a better life, so do the children of poor people from any race.
Asenath Waite
Fulbright DNC
United States

« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2021, 11:01:06 AM »
« Edited: November 23, 2021, 09:00:34 PM by Asenath Waite »

They're angry, but they're also too far-gone. We, unfortunately, still have to rely on these fickle suburbanites, and even more so since significant minority support for the party to make up for that seems to have only been exclusive to Obama.

Relying on suburbanites “even more so” presumably means trying to win a bigger chunk of the minority of suburbanites who voted for Trump. You don’t think they might be just as likely to be too far gone? Also, a suburbanite who chooses to vote for Trump twice is more likely to have been a Republican previously whereas at least some percentage of poorer white rural voters were previously Democrats who could still possibly be reached with a strong economic message. Even if I concede that that there were very few who still could be reached they could swing elections if it means that Democrats lose rural counties in Virginia by a 75-25 margin rather then an 85-15 one. I don’t think becoming the coast to coast suburban party is an effective strategy.
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2021, 08:09:50 PM »

Nobody said working class = white. Woke insanity is unpopular with minorities as well, its mostly the rich white socially progressive Warren voters who it appeals to. Focusing on economics and dropping the woke stuff (which does NOT mean ignoring race issues, it just means not being insane and alienating about it) will help with working class voters of ALL races.

No it is not. I don't know where you are getting your opinion from, but I work all day every day with working class, urban POC and nobody cares about wokeness. In fact, most non-whites recognize it for what it is: a racially-tinged, mainstream-media fueled moral panic. It is a cultural problem that most Americans are fully aware has nothing to do with the government.

And how I know that I'm right and you're wrong is the simple fact that there is no evidence that Youngkin or Ciatarelli (sp?) overperformed with these voters and plenty of evidence that turnout in urban precincts was lagging. It's like y'all read an opinion piece (usually written by a white person, always written by a rich person) and think that it's a definitive take. I don't see evidence for that.

Certain aspects of "wokeness," e.g. "abolish the police," heroin needle drop sites, etc. are unpopular. But to make a claim that this is what is sinking the Democrats' chances when even Third f-ing Way says that it's Manchin and Sinema's fault is, as far as I see it, just parroting racist propaganda and leaving critical thinking to the side. And the unfortunate effect of "woke scolding" is that the more a claim is repeated, the more it is assumed to be true even without substantiation.

AOC didn't lose Virginia, Terry McAuliffe did. And when the only thing standing between him and victory is a couple thousand young voters in the DMV and Richmond (which is absolutely true in a high turnout, but low urban turnout election), I'm not going to blame a woman who he intentionally didn't invite to campaign with him for his loss. That is the pinnacle of irrationality and a one-way ticket to the same kind of Gottheimerian divisiveness that is the real problem. Democrats can't be Republican lite and win, and I am so tired of watching that reality play out only to see people reflexively blame the left
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2021, 08:14:26 PM »

and yes many rural white people are racist. I’d rather have a world in which racism wasn’t central to their political identity and it wasn’t until fairly recently. Plenty of poor Black people are homophobic and anti-Semitic but that doesn’t mean they’re undeserving of economic justice and the same should go for poor white people in Appalachia. Their kids are innocent and deserve a shot at a better life, so do the children of poor people from any race.

This is a much more reasonable position. We can't just go around calling people "deplorable." We can't mock people's desire to know and love a personal God. We are insane, imo, to let the Right get off with moral critiques of social media capitalism.

Democrats need a populist economic message that straight-up ignores the Fox News propaganda to make a simple point to Americans: do you want more or less agency in your life? do you want it to be run by corporations or your community members?

However, we aren't going to do this when the party is mired between the clear path forward, New New Deal populism, and a proven dead end, Clintonite consultant neoliberalism. I sometimes wonder if we would be better off without people like Gottheimer, Spanberger, Sinema, etc. on the team because they muddle our message.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2021, 10:30:10 PM »

No it is not. I don't know where you are getting your opinion from, but I work all day every day with working class, urban POC and nobody cares about wokeness. In fact, most non-whites recognize it for what it is: a racially-tinged, mainstream-media fueled moral panic. It is a cultural problem that most Americans are fully aware has nothing to do with the government.

And how I know that I'm right and you're wrong is the simple fact that there is no evidence that Youngkin or Ciatarelli (sp?) overperformed with these voters and plenty of evidence that turnout in urban precincts was lagging. It's like y'all read an opinion piece (usually written by a white person, always written by a rich person) and think that it's a definitive take. I don't see evidence for that.

Certain aspects of "wokeness," e.g. "abolish the police," heroin needle drop sites, etc. are unpopular. But to make a claim that this is what is sinking the Democrats' chances when even Third f-ing Way says that it's Manchin and Sinema's fault is, as far as I see it, just parroting racist propaganda and leaving critical thinking to the side. And the unfortunate effect of "woke scolding" is that the more a claim is repeated, the more it is assumed to be true even without substantiation.

AOC didn't lose Virginia, Terry McAuliffe did. And when the only thing standing between him and victory is a couple thousand young voters in the DMV and Richmond (which is absolutely true in a high turnout, but low urban turnout election), I'm not going to blame a woman who he intentionally didn't invite to campaign with him for his loss. That is the pinnacle of irrationality and a one-way ticket to the same kind of Gottheimerian divisiveness that is the real problem. Democrats can't be Republican lite and win, and I am so tired of watching that reality play out only to see people reflexively blame the left
I never said we need to be Republican lite, neither did I blame the left. We need to drop woke nonsense, but go full Bernie on economics. We need to campaign on Medicare for All, a living wage, ending corruption, more social spending and generally helping the poor. At the same time we need to ignore social issues entirely, they're losing issues.
The reason why AOC is way less likeable and less likely to win a national election than Bernie is because she talks woke all the time whereas Bernie (especially in 2016) didn't.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies