If Abbott wins by more than in 2018
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:43:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  If Abbott wins by more than in 2018
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If Abbott wins by more than in 2018  (Read 1013 times)
Leroy McPherson fan
Leroymcphersonfan
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 07, 2021, 08:44:21 AM »

What happened?
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2021, 09:09:53 AM »

It was a red wave midterm, like the one we should expect given that a Democrat is President.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2021, 05:51:28 PM »

It means 2018 was a D wave election & 2022 was not a D wave election
Cyrusman
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2021, 06:13:50 PM »

Why would this be a surprise? Should we expect him to do better given 2022 will be a much more favorable year for the GOP than 2018?
DS0816
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2021, 04:47:37 AM »

It would be reduced 2018-to-2022 support, specifically for Republican incumbent Greg Abbott, but it would be further set up Texas’s trend away from the Republicans and toward the Democrats. This would lead to a result in a U.S. presidential election which switches from the Republican to the Democratic column and Texas becomes a Democratic pickup state. My sense is that it will happen at some point during the 2030s.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2021, 10:14:25 AM »

That is almost impossible..
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2021, 10:21:39 AM »

This would be extremely hilarious after all the abortion bill backlash hype, but it’s almost certainly not going to happen even on a very good night for Republicans, especially with Democrats seriously contesting the race (unlike in 2018). I think most of his crossover appeal is basically gone, so a R+8-10 win is probably more likely than R+>13.

I certainly don’t see him losing, though.
Cyrusman
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2021, 09:02:15 PM »

This would be extremely hilarious after all the abortion bill backlash hype, but it’s almost certainly not going to happen even on a very good night for Republicans, especially with Democrats seriously contesting the race (unlike in 2018). I think most of his crossover appeal is basically gone, so a R+8-10 win is probably more likely than R+>13.

Won’t 2022 be a much more favorable year for republicans compared to 2018 though?
MargieCat
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2021, 09:11:47 PM »

I see him winning by somewhere between Trump's and Cornyn's margins in 2020.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2021, 10:59:48 PM »

Won’t 2022 be a much more favorable year for republicans compared to 2018 though?

It will, but there are cases where even a substantial change in the national environment isn’t enough to outweigh the host of other, state-specific factors like erosion of the incumbent's crossover appeal, demographic changes and generational turnover, increased partisanship, and long-term changes in both parties' turnout patterns. We would be seeing the same thing in AZ if Ducey were eligible for another term, likely the same thing happening in MD if Hogan could run for another term, and will probably witness the same pattern in MA with Baker and VT with Scott (and certainly NH if Sununu somehow opts for another gubernatorial bid).
THG
TheTarHeelGent
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2021, 12:26:57 PM »
« Edited: October 11, 2021, 01:09:52 AM by I’M GONNA TOOOOOOOOM »

Against a Beto running to the left of Biden on issues like immigration and guns, Abbott will win by around 10-15.

amateur_psepho
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2021, 03:10:38 PM »

only way this happens is rgv trends get mega-accelerated and bleed into the urban areas like laredo and el paso a bit or a suburban snapback becomes very real in tarrant/fort bend/williamson. abbot would have to outperform cornyn last year and he has covid and abortion baggage he's dragging around + i really don't see how the dem floor in texas isn't at least 43% nowadays anyhow.

either way this would be a good indication dems had a pretty terrible night

Coolface’s actual roommate
pearlplate
Rookie
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2021, 07:04:50 PM »

Very likely since Beto is so awful
Southern Reactionary Dem
SouthernReactionaryDem
Rookie
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2021, 09:43:35 PM »

Given the national environment and what we saw in VA, I think its very likely to happen. A new  Quinnipiac poll just dropped with Abbott up by 15.

https://poll.qu.edu/poll-release?releaseid=3830

Based on the national environment and the undecideds, my guess is a 56-42 Abbott win with third party candidates picking up the scraps.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2021, 11:24:43 PM »

I really hope O'Rourke wins. And while it's very, very tough (only slightly easier than Demings pulling it off in FL SEN), it could happen if the circumstances are right.

Still, Abbott might also win by more than the 2018 margin, given how much redder than 2018 2022 will likely be.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2021, 09:45:37 AM »

No, in a 304 map scenario Trump won by six if he wins absent a blue wave DeSantis and Abbott will win by the same exact margins Trump won by, the University of Tyler poll had it six, not 15 and DeSantis will win by 3 not 10

We've gotta remember DeSantis came back from six down with a mnth left and put this R wave in perspective it's not even Jan yet
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2021, 09:47:35 AM »

Against a Beto running to the left of Biden on issues like immigration and guns, Abbott will win by around 10-15.

DeSsntis came back on Gillum with a mnth left six pts down it's not even Jan yet
EastwoodS

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2021, 10:34:56 PM »

Yeah please convince yourself of that, it makes it all the more enjoyable when you all are wrong, eye rolling when y’all typically learn nothing from it
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies