All-Time Congress Draft (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:57:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  All-Time Congress Draft (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: All-Time Congress Draft  (Read 4619 times)
LastMcGovernite
Ringorules
United States

« on: November 03, 2021, 04:42:00 AM »
« edited: November 03, 2021, 11:34:58 AM by LastMcGovernite »

I think we have enough of a quorum to begin. Welcome to the All-Time Congress Fantasy Draft. Everyone is welcome- even if you didn’t signal interest in the earlier announcement for this game.

Your objective is to draft the best Congress out of all of its members, past and present. What that looks like is up to you. You can draft all Republicans if you want. You can draft all social justice Warriors if you want. You can just draft the most talented or historically significant legislators. It’s your call. You may draft any Congressperson- House or Senate- from U.S. history.

There are three rules to keep in mind, though. 1) Like any draft, each Congressperson can only be drafted by one person. 2) You need to draft exactly one person from each state. 2) One third of your picks need to have served in Congress from the 18th or 19th century; one third from the 20th century, one third from the 21st century.

For each round, you will make three picks- one from each era. Please signal which era is assigned to which pick of there is any ambiguity or if their career takes place in two different centuries. For example, if you draft Orrin Hatch for Utah, please signal if you intend to use him as a 20th or 21st century pick.

One sample draft round might be:

John Quincy Adams (Mass., 19th cen, Whig)
Oscar Underwood (Alabama, 20th cen, Democrat)
Tammy Baldwin (Wisc., 21st century, Democrat).

I’ll give you all 48 hours to make your first three picks. Again, everyone is welcome, and you can jump in at any time, even after the first round. After the first round, I will start a google sheet to help people keep track of which Congressfolk have been drafted and which states you’ve already chosen from.
LastMcGovernite
Ringorules
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2021, 07:54:28 AM »

I’ll kick things off:

John Hale (New Hampshire, D/Free Soil/R, 19th cen.)
George McGovern (South Dakota, Democrat, 20th cen.)
Elizabeth Warren (Massachusetts, Democrat, 21st cen.)
LastMcGovernite
Ringorules
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2021, 11:34:25 AM »

Abraham Lincoln (R-IL) (19th Century)

Barack Obama (D-IL) (20th Century)

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) (21st Century)

A couple problems here, NYExpress- 1) it’s no more and no less than one person per state, and 2)Obama’s time in Congress was entirely in the 21st century. Would you care to rework this?
LastMcGovernite
Ringorules
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2021, 02:11:23 PM »

Damn, you guys are good!
LastMcGovernite
Ringorules
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2021, 06:25:01 PM »

Gerrit Smith (Free Soil), 19th.
Jacob Javits (Republican), 20th.
Michael Bennet (Democratic), 21st.

Glad to have you onboard, Ishan. I might have to ask you to recalibrate this, though-- both Javits and Smith represented New York, and the rule is exactly one per state.
LastMcGovernite
Ringorules
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2021, 07:33:24 AM »

I'm delighted by the turnout!

Because we crossed over to 10+ participants, I'm going to make an executive decision and combine Alaska and Hawaii into one "state" so everyone has a chance to draft someone. Between not being in the union as long, not having very many representatives, and those representatives having absurdly long tenures in many cases (Stevens, Inouye, Young, etc.) I think it just makes sense.
LastMcGovernite
Ringorules
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2021, 07:34:35 AM »

Hiram Rhodes Revels (R-MS) 19th Century
Ralph Yarborough (D-Tx) 20th Century
Ed Markie (D-Ma) 21st Century

Great choice with Hiram! Finding non-terrible people from certain states is going to be difficult, so picking some of the Reconstruction guys is a clever strategy.

Is Ed Markie related to the late rapper Biz Markie?
LastMcGovernite
Ringorules
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2021, 11:13:42 AM »

Round 2 is upon us!

Our google doc is up and you can see it at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10z5XiwpLLLnnMLnUP3U0QKKJmoOJ4oEjEho6CGrzHLs/edit?usp=sharing. I recommend consulting it before you make your picks each round to ensure that 1) your picks haven't already been taken; and 2) you aren't picking for a state you've already selected.

Remember, the objective is to pick ~your~ dream Congress, with one person from each state. However, due to the higher than anticipated number of participants in the first round, I'm combining Alaska and Hawaii into one "state" for the purposes of this exercise to make sure everyone can pick someone they like.

So go ahead and make your round 2 picks, keeping in mind that: 1) you can't pick someone already drafted; 2) you need to draft exactly one person from each state over the course of this activity; 3) each round you need to draft someone who served in the 18/19th century, the 20th century, and the 21st century.

If you missed round 1, that's no problem! You can draft for both rounds now, as long as they fit the above-mentioned parameters.

I'll wait a couple hours to post my picks so that I don't necessarily always have the unfair advantage of picking first. This round will last 48-ish hours.
LastMcGovernite
Ringorules
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2021, 01:03:30 PM »

19th century: Horace Greeley (Whig/Republican/Liberal Republican-NY)
20th century: Al Gore (D-TN)
21st century: Dennis Kucinich (D-OH)

HoosierDem, would I be correct in assuming you intended this to be Al Gore Jr., as opposed to his father?

My picks are:

Joseph Rainey of South Carolina (19th)
Shirley Chisholm- the original, one-woman squad- of New York (20th)
and Joe Biden of Delaware (21st)
LastMcGovernite
Ringorules
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2021, 02:47:30 PM »

Not too late at all, Beesley! Just read through the rules and make two rounds of three picks—one from the 18/19th cen., one from the 20th cen., and one from the 21st. Cen.
LastMcGovernite
Ringorules
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2021, 06:56:10 PM »

Daniel Webster (19th Century) (Federalist-NH)

Ted Kennedy (20th Century) (D-MA)

Kamala Harris (21st Century) (D-CA)

Dreadfully sorry, NYExpress-- Webster was already drafted by Orwell (although representing Massachusetts.) Could you make another pre-1900 pick?
LastMcGovernite
Ringorules
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2021, 08:40:04 PM »

John Bingham, 19th Century.
Lowell Weicker, 20th Century.
Ed Markey, 21st Century.

Believe it or not, Ed Markey was aleady drafted by HoosierDem. Would you care to make a different pick for the 21st century?
LastMcGovernite
Ringorules
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2021, 11:39:07 PM »

John Bingham, 19th Century.
Lowell Weicker, 20th Century.
Ed Markey, 21st Century.

Believe it or not, Ed Markey was aleady drafted by HoosierDem. Would you care to make a different pick for the 21st century?
Fixed.

I’m afraid FalterInArc has already picked Lewis.  Take another try?
LastMcGovernite
Ringorules
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2021, 09:12:18 AM »

Round two is closing up in a few hours- anybody else want to get their picks in?
LastMcGovernite
Ringorules
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2021, 01:24:52 PM »

Round 3 has commenced

Our google doc is up at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10z5XiwpLLLnnMLnUP3U0QKKJmoOJ4oEjEho6CGrzHLs/edit?usp=sharing. I recommend consulting it before you make your picks each round to ensure that 1) your picks haven't already been taken by someone else; and 2) you aren't picking for a state you've already selected.

Remember, the objective is to pick ~your~ dream Congress, with one person from each state. However, due to the higher than anticipated number of participants in the first round, I'm combining Alaska and Hawaii into one "state" for the purposes of this exercise to make sure everyone can pick someone they like.

So go ahead and make your round 3 picks, keeping in mind that: 1) you can't pick someone already drafted; 2) you need to draft exactly one person from each state over the course of this activity; 3) each round you need to draft someone who served in the 18/19th century, the 20th century, and the 21st century.

If you missed round 1, or round 2, or both that's no problem! You can draft for this round as well as any previous missed rounds, as long as they fit the above-mentioned parameters.

This round will last 48-ish hours, or roughly until noon EST on Tuesday.
LastMcGovernite
Ringorules
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2021, 03:12:06 PM »
« Edited: November 07, 2021, 03:16:28 PM by LastMcGovernite »

My picks for round 3:

For the 19th century, I'm going with Henry Clay's old running mate, Theodore Frelinghuysen of New Jersey.

For the 20th century, I draft Claude Pepper, the only Floridian congressperson I really like.

For the 21st century, I'll cross a Deep South state off the list and draft Terri Sewell of Alabama.

Interestingly, the only states left that haven't had a single person drafted from them are: Arkansas, Kansas, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Rhode Island, Utah, Virginia (!), and Washington.
LastMcGovernite
Ringorules
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2021, 05:06:40 PM »

James H. Kyle (P-SD), 19th century
Huey Long (D-LA), 20th century
Tammy Baldwin (D-WI), 21st century

I'm afraid you already picked LaFollette as your Wisconsin person. Would you care to pick someone else for the 21st century this round?
LastMcGovernite
Ringorules
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2021, 10:52:30 AM »

Third round picks:

18th/19th century - Charles Curtis (Republican, Kansas)
20th century - Ben Reifel (Republican, South Dakota)
21st century - Deb Haaland (Democratic, New Mexico)

An all-Native American round. Nice! I know a historian at Dakota Wesleyan named Sean Flynn who has done some research on Reifel.
LastMcGovernite
Ringorules
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2021, 11:21:03 AM »

John Charles Frémont (R-CA, 19th Century)
Patsy Mink (D-HI, 20th Century)
Ayanna Pressley (D-MA, 21st Century)

Dammit, Falter, ya took two of the picks I wanted!
LastMcGovernite
Ringorules
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2021, 04:13:32 PM »

19th Century: John C Calhoun (D-SC), David Wilmot (FS-PA), Charles Sumner (R-MA)
20th Century: Jeanette Rankin (D-MT), Augustus Hawkins (D-CA), Newt Gingrich (R-GA)
21st Century: John McCain (R-AZ), Barack Obama (D-IL), Michele Bachmann (R-MN)

Glad you are joining us! (Although I was hoping people would forget about Jeanette and I could draft her!)
LastMcGovernite
Ringorules
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2021, 01:06:51 PM »

Round 4 begins now! Let me thank you all for following through with this project thus far!

Our google doc is up at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10z5XiwpLLLnnMLnUP3U0QKKJmoOJ4oEjEho6CGrzHLs/edit?usp=sharing. I recommend consulting it before you make your picks each round to ensure that 1) your picks haven't already been taken by someone else; and 2) you aren't picking for a state you've already selected.

So go ahead and make your round 4 picks, keeping in mind that: 1) you can't pick someone already drafted; 2) you need to draft exactly one person from each state over the course of this activity; 3) each round you need to draft someone who served in the 18/19th century, the 20th century, and the 21st century.

If you missed any previous rounds, that's no problem! You can draft for this round as well as any previous missed rounds, as long as they fit the above-mentioned parameters.

This round will last 48-ish hours, or roughly until noon EST on Thursday.
LastMcGovernite
Ringorules
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2021, 02:20:02 PM »
« Edited: November 09, 2021, 02:26:54 PM by LastMcGovernite »

For the fourth round, my picks are:

James A. Garfield (19th century, Ohio): he could have been a very good president if given the chance, and could have been Speaker had he stayed in the House. The right combination of idealism and realpolitik.

Glen Taylor (20th century, Idaho): The number of not-reactionary Idahoans is limited, so I'm picking Henry Wallace's singing-cowboy, toupee-salesman running mate.

Ben McAdams (21st century, Utah) for similar reasons. Except he's not a singing cowboy nor a toupee salesman.
LastMcGovernite
Ringorules
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2021, 02:22:00 PM »

Third Round

Thomas E. Watson (GA-Democratic/Populist-19th)*
Robert F. Wagner (NY-Democratic-20th)
Henry Waxman (CA-Democratic-21st)

*Pre Turn to Racism

Sorry, Kaiser Dave. You already selected William Seward as your New York guy in a previous round- although I think Wagner is an excellent pick. Do you want to add someone different to the..um..Kaiser roll?
LastMcGovernite
Ringorules
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2021, 03:31:51 PM »

Justin Smith Morrill (Vermont, Republican, 19th century)
Charles Mathias (Maryland, Republican, 20th century)
Charles Djou (Hawaii, Republican, 21st century)

Would you believe me if I told you that Morrill was already drafted? Would you like to pick someone else for your 19th century person?
LastMcGovernite
Ringorules
United States

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2021, 01:54:22 PM »

Round Four picks:

William McKinley (19th Century) (R-OH)

Tom Daschle (20th Century) (D-SD)

Angus King (I-ME) (21st Century)

I'm afraid that you already picked James G. Blaine for your Maine selection. Would you care to look elsewhere for your 21st century pick this round, NY Express?
Pages: [1] 2 3  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies