All-Time Congress Draft (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:13:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  All-Time Congress Draft (search mode)
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: All-Time Congress Draft  (Read 4885 times)
LastMcGovernite
Ringorules
United States

« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2021, 01:19:18 PM »

Enter...Round 5!

You may wish to peruse our google doc at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10z5XiwpLLLnnMLnUP3U0QKKJmoOJ4oEjEho6CGrzHLs/edit?usp=sharing. I recommend consulting it before you make your picks each round to ensure that 1) your picks haven't already been taken by someone else; and 2) you aren't picking for a state you've already selected.

Remember, the objective is to pick ~your~ dream Congress, with one person from each state. However, due to the higher than anticipated number of participants in the first round, I'm combining Alaska and Hawaii into one "state" for the purposes of this exercise to make sure everyone can pick someone they like.

So go ahead and make your round 4 picks, keeping in mind that: 1) you can't pick someone already drafted; 2) you need to draft exactly one person from each state over the course of this activity; 3) each round you need to draft someone who served in the 18/19th century, the 20th century, and the 21st century.

If you missed any previous rounds, that's no problem! You can draft for this round as well as any previous missed rounds, as long as they fit the above-mentioned parameters.

This round will last 48-ish hours, or roughly until noon EST on Saturday.
LastMcGovernite
Ringorules
United States

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2021, 02:31:56 PM »
« Edited: November 11, 2021, 02:35:15 PM by LastMcGovernite »

19th cen.- David Crockett (Whig, Tennessee)
20th cen.- Morris Udall (Democrat, Arizona)
21st cen.- Catherine Masto-Cortez (Democrat, Nevada)
LastMcGovernite
Ringorules
United States

« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2021, 05:51:19 AM »

Daniel Lindsay Russell (R/GB-NC, 19th Century)
George William Norris (D-NE, 20th Century)
Melanie Stansbury (D-NM, 21st Century)

I'm afraid George Norris was already drafted, FalterInArc. Would you like to pick someone else as your 20th century pick?
LastMcGovernite
Ringorules
United States

« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2021, 03:10:14 PM »

Round 6 is upon us!

You may wish to peruse our google doc at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10z5XiwpLLLnnMLnUP3U0QKKJmoOJ4oEjEho6CGrzHLs/edit?usp=sharing. I recommend consulting it before you make your picks each round to ensure that 1) your picks haven't already been taken by someone else; and 2) you aren't picking for a state you've already selected.

Remember, the objective is to pick ~your~ dream Congress, with one person from each state. However, due to the higher than anticipated number of participants in the first round, I'm combining Alaska and Hawaii into one "state" for the purposes of this exercise to make sure everyone can pick someone they like.

So go ahead and make your round 4 picks, keeping in mind that: 1) you can't pick someone already drafted; 2) you need to draft exactly one person from each state over the course of this activity; 3) each round you need to draft someone who served in the 18/19th century, the 20th century, and the 21st century.

If you missed any previous rounds, that's no problem! You can draft for this round as well as any previous missed rounds, as long as they fit the above-mentioned parameters.

This round will last 48-ish hours, or roughly until noon EST on Monday.
LastMcGovernite
Ringorules
United States

« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2021, 03:22:56 PM »

18/19th cen.: Lewis P. Featherstone of Arkansas. A populist who aligned with Republicans to win a congressional seat for one term. Also was one of the very few Southerners willing to support the Force Bill that would have ensured federal support for fair elections in Dixie.

20th cen.: Mark O. Hatfield of Oregon, who was the most prominent evangelical Christian in politics before the Religious Right came into maturity around 1980. His critical stance against the Vietnam War cost him dearly among his co-religionists.

21st cen.: Lucy McBath of Georgia. Hopefully the vanguard of a new kind of suburban Georgia politician.
LastMcGovernite
Ringorules
United States

« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2021, 08:44:27 AM »

I think everyone who is going to draft has done so. So, let's get Round 7 started. Y'all know the rules by now.

Our google doc is at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10z5XiwpLLLnnMLnUP3U0QKKJmoOJ4oEjEho6CGrzHLs/edit?usp=sharing. I recommend consulting it before you make your picks each round to ensure that 1) your picks haven't already been taken by someone else; and 2) you aren't picking for a state you've already selected.

This round will last 48-ish hours, or roughly until 9 am EST on Wednesday
LastMcGovernite
Ringorules
United States

« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2021, 10:10:00 AM »

For the 19th century, I’ll take the Amistad lawyer himself, Roger Sherman Baldwin of Connecticut.

For the 20th century, my fellow Polish guy, Ed Muskie of Maine.

For the 21st century, someone who did her job brilliantly while fighting cancer, Mazie Hirono for my Alaska/Hawaii pick.
LastMcGovernite
Ringorules
United States

« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2021, 01:36:54 PM »

Incidentally, eligible presidents left on the board include: Martin Van Buren, William Henry Harrison, John Tyler, James K. Polk, Millard Fillmore, Franklin Pierce, James Buchanan, Andrew Johnson, Rutherford Hayes, Benjamin Harrison, Warren Harding, John Kennedy, Richard Nixon, and George H. W. Bush.

Eligible vice-presidents (excluding the above) include: Aaron Burr, Elbridge Gerry, Richard Mentor Johnson, George Dallas, William Rufus King, John Breckinridge, Schuyler Colfax, William Wheeler, Thomas Hendricks, Levi Morton, Adlai Stevenson I, Charles Fairbanks, James Sherman, John Nance Garner, Walter Mondale, Dick Cheney, Mike Pence.

Eligible also-rans (excluding any listed above) include: DeWitt Clinton, Rufus King, William Crawford, Hugh White, Lewis Cass, Stephen Douglas, James Cox, John W. Davis, Barry Goldwater, John Kerry, and Hillary Clinton.
LastMcGovernite
Ringorules
United States

« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2021, 08:35:58 PM »

Anyone else before the round closes tomorrow morning?
LastMcGovernite
Ringorules
United States

« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2021, 08:12:54 AM »

Round 8- we are halfway there! Thanks to everyone for your involvement; I’m learning a great deal about congressfolk who wouldn’t ordinarily be on my radar.

Our google doc is at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10z5XiwpLLLnnMLnUP3U0QKKJmoOJ4oEjEho6CGrzHLs/edit?usp=sharing. I recommend consulting it before you make your picks each round to ensure that 1) your picks haven't already been taken by someone else; and 2) you aren't picking for a state you've already selected.

This round will last 48-ish hours, or roughly until 9 am EST on Friday.
LastMcGovernite
Ringorules
United States

« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2021, 10:46:55 AM »

Let’s work on those western states…

19th cen: Francis Warren of Wyoming
20th cen: Nancy Landon Kassebaum of Kansas
21st cen: Jon Tester of Montana
LastMcGovernite
Ringorules
United States

« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2021, 06:30:42 AM »

While we are waiting for other draft picks to come in, are there any congresspeople you wanted, but were drafted by someone else first?

Excluding people I knew would go early like HHH, LaFollette, etc., I wish I could have gotten either Frank Graham or Terry Sanford from North Carolina, Patsy Mink, Victor Berger, John Fremont, and Fred Harris.
LastMcGovernite
Ringorules
United States

« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2021, 09:02:29 AM »

Round 9!

This round will last 48-ish hours, or roughly until 9 am EST on Sunday

To keep everyone up to date, HoosierDem and Elcaspar, you can make one additional round of picks.

Orwell, you can make five rounds of picks.

KaiserDave, three rounds of picks.

NYExpress, four rounds.
LastMcGovernite
Ringorules
United States

« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2021, 01:23:28 PM »

Reverdy Johnson (19th cen., Whig-->Democrat, Maryland)
William Lemke (20th cen., Republican/Union, North Dakota)
Chuck Hagel (21st cen., Republican, Nebraska).
LastMcGovernite
Ringorules
United States

« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2021, 11:37:50 AM »

To keep everyone up to date, HoosierDem and Elcaspar, you can make one additional round of picks.

But haven't i already picked eight rounds of people?

Right you are- disregard that
LastMcGovernite
Ringorules
United States

« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2021, 03:25:59 PM »

William G. Brownlow (R-TN), 19th century
Dick Clark (D-IA), 20th century
Rashida Tlaib (D-MI), 21st century

I'm afraid that Senator Kuumo already picked Brownlow. (But I love that I'm on a board where multiple people are invested in him.)  Do you have an alternative for the 19th century pick?
LastMcGovernite
Ringorules
United States

« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2021, 03:28:16 PM »

I'm not sure what happened - I thought I had picked for this round yesterday.

In any case:

19th Century: John Bell (W-TN)
20th Century: Henry Cabot Lodge (R-MA)
21st Century: Walt Minnick (D-ID)

That's okay! But I am afraid that you already picked Sumner as your Massachusetts guy. Would you like to take a different pick for the 20th century?
LastMcGovernite
Ringorules
United States

« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2021, 07:28:56 AM »

It’s time for Round 10. We are definitely at a point where you need to start thinking about how you’ll fill up the sparsely populated Western states or what you’ll do with the Deep South if you want to avoid picking enslavers or Jim Crow apologists.

If you missed any previous rounds, that's no problem! You can draft for this round as well as any previous missed rounds, as long as they fit the above-mentioned parameters. If you don’t recall how many rounds you missed or how many picks you can make, feel free to send me a message.

This round will last 48-ish hours, or roughly until 9 am EST on Wednesday.
LastMcGovernite
Ringorules
United States

« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2021, 11:37:22 AM »

I’ll take the guy who might lose his “oldest guy ever on a major party ticket” crown if Biden runs again. Alton Parker’s running mate…

Henry G. Davis (19th cen., Democrat, West Virginia)

He was a key conduit between the civil rights movement and the halls of power. Never should have lost to Santorum.

Harris Wofford (20th century, Democrat, Pennsylvania)

And a conscientious man who became one of the wiser modern foreign policy guys and would have made a great vice-president:

Timothy Kaine (21st century, Democrat, Virginia)

LastMcGovernite
Ringorules
United States

« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2021, 08:29:23 AM »

Time for Round 11, party people!

If you missed any previous rounds, that's no problem! You can draft for this round as well as any previous missed rounds, as long as they fit the above-mentioned parameters. If you don’t recall how many rounds you missed or how many picks you can make, feel free to send me a message.

This round will last three days due to Thanksgiving, or roughly until 9 am EST on Saturday.
LastMcGovernite
Ringorules
United States

« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2021, 01:30:16 PM »

Round 11, traveling west on I-40 edition:

Henry Clay Evans (R-TN), 19th century
John Paul Hammerschmidt (R-AR), 20th century
J. C. Watts (R-OK), 21st century

Evans is a great choice, Senator Cao. My own picks this round are:

Henry W. Barry (R-MS), 19th century
Thomas Gore (D-OK), 20th century
Lincoln Chafee (R-RI), 21st century

LastMcGovernite
Ringorules
United States

« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2021, 10:54:54 AM »

Charles D. Drake (R-MO), 19th century
James H. Hughes (D-DE), 20th century
John Yarmuth (D-KY), 21st century

I like the picks, but Yarmouth was taken in an earlier round. Do you have an alternative in mind?
LastMcGovernite
Ringorules
United States

« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2021, 06:16:49 AM »

It’s Round 12. Hope everyone had a fine Thanksgiving.

This round will end Monday at 9 am EST.

This round will last three days due to Thanksgiving, or roughly until 9 am EST on Saturday.
LastMcGovernite
Ringorules
United States

« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2021, 01:44:23 PM »

I've avoided the Midwest (except Ohio) until now...my thinking was: let's how things look in the endgame. With most midwestern states, I can think of one decent person for any of the three time periods who probably won't be taken. I'm finally going to head to that region in for my 20th and 21st century choices.

James O'Hara (Republican, North Carolina, 19th century)
John Brademas (Democrat, Indiana, 20th century)
Abby Finkenauer (Democrat, Iowa, 21st century)
LastMcGovernite
Ringorules
United States

« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2021, 01:47:47 PM »

Round 12.

Carl Schurz (R-MO), 19th century
Charles R. Jonas (R-NC), 20th century
Tom Petri (R-WI), 21st century

You took my pick with Schurz! More importantly, I think you already picked Henry Cooper for Wisconsin. Is there another 21st century pick you'd like to take?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies