Are there any countries where you'd rather live in an area that votes the opposite that you would?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:19:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Are there any countries where you'd rather live in an area that votes the opposite that you would?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Are there any countries where you'd rather live in an area that votes the opposite that you would?  (Read 445 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 25, 2023, 03:19:14 PM »

Like not just that you would be willing to vote in an area that votes for a party that you don't support, but on a whole you'd actually prefer such areas?
TransfemmeGoreVidal
Fulbright DNC
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2023, 03:49:47 PM »

I have several friends in the UK who live in a heavily conservative and brexit supporting area and if I was ever to emigrate I’d want to also but I don’t know that i’d necessarily prefer it.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2023, 05:18:54 PM »

uhhhhm....the United States? 
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2023, 05:27:55 PM »

This if you mean the state as a whole, though I would honestly prefer living even in rural Kentucky over many blue states/cities.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2023, 05:52:11 PM »

South America, maybe?
Blow by blow, the passion dies
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2023, 06:13:01 PM »

No, because PT is more competent than their opposition
pikachu
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2023, 06:30:20 PM »

India - not sure which non-BJP party I’d actually support, but pretty much everywhere I have family voted for the BJP or an allied party, and those would be the logical places for me to live.

I don’t have super-detailed knowledge of Japanese politics and geography, but I could see that being an answer considering how heavily the LDP wins.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2023, 12:40:14 PM »

I'd probably never live outside the US, I don't have any desire to move out of the greatest country on the planet, but if I did there are very few countries I would find acceptable and even fewer that I have an opinion as to where I'd like to live within them or what their political parties are.

As for Canada, France, and South Africa, I'm rather sure the areas I'd prefer to live in support the politics I would as well?

For Israel, Switzerland, Mexico, Australia, and New Zealand I'm unsure either as to exactly where I'd want to live within those countries, or what their political landscape is like with any degree of detail.

For the United Kingdom, I'll just say that anything that would incentivize me enough to the UK would probably have to come with enough money to live in Mayfair, but I'd vote Lib Dem so I guess there's a divergence there.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2023, 12:50:48 PM »

Well, I lived in a city in Sweden that (up until last year) voted right-wing while I was a member of the Social Democrats, and I wouldn't mind moving back even if the right-wingers came back to power.

And right now I live in Berlin, specifically inner-city Berlin, which is a stronghold of the Greens and Die Linke, despite being a member of the SPD. I would also like to live in, say, inner-city Hamburg, which votes increasingly for the Greens.

Unfortunately, as a big-city guy, many of the places I would like to live are increasingly trending towards green parties.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2023, 01:36:30 PM »

Obvious Brazil is obvious.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2023, 06:34:21 PM »

It is generally the case in the United States that both the least and most desirable places support the Democratic Party.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2023, 06:38:45 PM »

This is hard for me to answer because there's no region of any country that actually "votes the way that I would."
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2023, 09:33:07 PM »

Within the US, I’d rather live in the cities in Alaska than the rural parts — it’s basically the only state where the rural parts are conservative and the rural parts are liberal.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2023, 09:59:09 PM »

The United States.

Wyoming or Montana would be a dream.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2023, 10:12:40 PM »
« Edited: February 26, 2023, 10:24:44 PM by These knuckles break before they bleed »

Within the US, I’d rather live in the cities in Alaska than the rural parts — it’s basically the only state where the rural parts are conservative and the rural parts are liberal.
Not really:

Biden only won the entire municipality of Anchorage by about 2 points, but that's because it includes a ton of areas outside of what would be Anchorage in any other state, Eagle River for example is a pretty distinct separate suburb. If you just count the part of Anchorage that its obvious urban boundaries it's about Biden+7. Conservative for an urban area, but that's also including a lot of obvious suburban areas that are still part of the core city and not too far from downtown. And when you control for racial demographics (Anchorage isn't really super-white, in fact it's probably one of the most diverse cities in the US in terms of total racial variety, but it's black and Hispanic population is relatively low for a city of its size and Asians and Alaska Natives are nowhere near as Democratic as blacks or Hispanics in lower 48 urban areas) and the reliance on the oil industry to the economy, it doesn't really vote that much different than a comparable city like Boise or Omaha.

You may be thinking of the Mat-Su Valley which is indeed hyper-Republican (close to Trump+50!) but that's not really an urban area and is in fact really just Anchorage exurbia that developed kind of oddly because of the geography of the region. Come to think of it if there was a bridge from Anchorage to Port MacKenzie the suburban sprawl patterns in the area wouldn't look much different from most cities...

EDIT: A statistical analysis of Anchorage indicates that the white vote was basically 50/50 in 2020 and Biden won non-whites by about 25 points. That's a pretty wide gap and it is conservative for an urban white vote, but Trump still got over a third of the non-white vote...if the non-white vote was more comparable to a lower urban city Biden would've at least broken 60%.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies