AMA: Cassius
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:20:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  AMA: Cassius
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: AMA: Cassius  (Read 890 times)
Cassius
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 31, 2021, 04:01:18 PM »

Cry havoc.
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2021, 04:09:19 PM »

Opinion of Cassius Clay, both the nineteenth-century abolitionist and the boxer?
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2021, 05:54:21 PM »
« Edited: November 03, 2021, 03:35:19 PM by Geoffrey Howe »

Virgil or Homer?

Which one work of Classical literature would you take with you to the island on Desert Island Discs?

Opinion of Sir Ronald Syme?

What do you think the effects of devolution have been?

Would you describe yourself as a Tory?

Why the Constitution avatar?

Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2021, 06:03:05 PM »

Opinion of Cassius Clay, both the nineteenth-century abolitionist and the boxer?

I am more interested in his opinion of Gaius Cassius Longinus.
Conservatopia
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 0.72, S: 8.60

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2021, 10:58:01 AM »

Me too.  The rat.

Cassius who was your favourite candidate in the Yankee president election 2016?  Like out of everybody who ran so including Gilmore and O'Malley etc?

Who is your favourite non-British poster?  If it's Olawakandi then who is second?

Disraeli or Gladstone?

What's the worst city in England?  Liverpool? Bristol?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2021, 03:16:32 PM »

Weren't you studying computers at some point?
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2021, 12:18:02 PM »

Upon entering this thread I suddenly realized that many of the most traditionally right-wing neighbourhoods and areas of Rome are along the Via Cassia. How do you feel about this?
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2021, 05:52:42 AM »

Our cries have not been answered Sad
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2021, 06:44:10 AM »

Apologies, had to get cracking on a new job but as Boris is now in the process of sending us all back to the barracks your cries will be answered soon!
Paul Weller
HenryWallaceVP
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2021, 11:37:22 AM »

What is your opinion of Roger L'Estrange?
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2022, 07:08:40 PM »
« Edited: January 05, 2022, 07:13:18 PM by Cassius »

Both interesting and rather entertaining individuals - the former's activities in Russia as Minister there in the 1860's and his influence upon Russia's stance on the Civil War were something that I wasn't aware of in the slightest.

Was always my favourite character in Julius Caesar. Historically speaking, unlike Brutus, he actually had a brain ('yes, let's not kill Mark Antony, what could possibly go wrong'?!)

Virgil or Homer?

Which one work of Classical literature would you take with you to the island on Desert Island Discs?

Opinion of Sir Ronald Syme?

What do you think the effects of devolution have been?

Would you describe yourself as a Tory?

Why the Constitution avatar?

I would probably take Livy's histories because they are very, very long and thus would give me more reading material (I believe the Penguin version comes in about five volumes, although perhaps that's cheating). If I was to go for something that I think influenced me in a meaningful way it would unquestionably be the Iliad.

With regards Syme, I've never read any of his works in full; I do remember making use of him on a couple of occasions in that rather cheeky lazy undergrad way of sticking an argument made by him in an essay introduction in order to signpost what I'd be arguing against ('academics in the 1930's wrote the darndest things' type stuff'). Obviously a great historian, fairly dated perhaps, but that happens to the work of almost every historian so that can hardly be held against him.

I'm not a fan of devolution, to put it mildly. I'm not a fan of federalism generally, across all systems, given that it's a recipe for national policy gridlock and special pleading by every other region, but at least in the case of, say, the United States, Switzerland or Britain's ex-settler dominions, all of those adopted federal systems in order to facilitate unification. In our case, we appear to have adopted devolution in order to facilitate disunification, as devolution has become an endless auction by which the devolved governments are promised more and more powers until we reach the point where it's legitimate to ask what the point is of there being a United Kingdom at all. I have plenty of other criticisms of devolution (the way the national parties tend to send their F Teams to the devolved parliaments; the fact that Welsh children will now be taught using a substandard curriculum because they live on the wrong side of the River Severn), but the fact that people claim that it 'strengthens the Union' when it manifestly does the opposite is probably the biggest. Of course, could devolution have been prevented and can it be unwound? To do the former would have been tough in Scotland's case and the latter is probably impossible now, but that doesn't mean I won't continue to object to the concept.

I would consider myself a Tory because, whilst I think that the Conservative party is an awful, useless institution, there really is nowhere else to go for somebody like me and of my background. These days I'd probably, on balance, consider myself closer to Labour on public spending, but, you know, I could never be a Labour person convincingly (plus, obviously, I don't agree with Labour on Europe, the constitution, 'the social issue', taxation et al). I took the Constitution avatar simply because it was distinctive (I was briefly an Other iirc) and, of course, C stands for Conservative.

Me too.  The rat.

Cassius who was your favourite candidate in the Yankee president election 2016?  Like out of everybody who ran so including Gilmore and O'Malley etc?

Who is your favourite non-British poster?  If it's Olawakandi then who is second?

Disraeli or Gladstone?

What's the worst city in England?  Liverpool? Bristol?

I seem to remember that I supported John Kasich unironically because I felt he had the best chance of all the Republican candidates of actually winning the election and seemed like a relatively serious politician. Of course, I ironically supported Trump from the moment he came down that escalator and then supported him somewhat less ironically in the general election.

Too many good non-British posters to name really. You've got all the greats like Averroes, Nathan, Cathcon, Johnny Dule, Santander, Antonio et cetera. I was pleased to see the return of DavidB as well.

Undoubtedly Disraeli, not even a question. More politically attractive and more personally attractive.

I've always found Swindon to be a seriously grim place with few redeeming features, but I think this this is a commonality amongst large towns in the south of England (Reading, Luton Slough et cetera), as opposed to something inherent in Swindon itself. Milton Keynes has always weirded me out because it looks like an American town that's been plonked in the middle of the UK.

Upon entering this thread I suddenly realized that many of the most traditionally right-wing neighbourhoods and areas of Rome are along the Via Cassia. How do you feel about this?

Proud, and I'm sure Gaius Cassius Longinus would be too Wink

What is your opinion of Roger L'Estrange?

Royalist=Automatic FF. Hadn't heard of the man prior to your question (for some reason I've tended to avoid the Restoration period in my reading down the years). Agree with his royalism, disagree with his opposition to toleration for Catholics. Was also interested to see that he did a translation of the works of Josephus.

Computers are the work of Beelzebub.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2022, 06:36:36 PM »

White fever, white fever, we know how to do it - gimme that white fever white fever, we know how to do it. Yeah
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2022, 06:37:58 PM »

If you were in the Roman Senate, would you have followed your namesake's example, and joined in the plot to assassinate Julius Caesar, perhaps being among those who stabbed him to death?  
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2022, 07:36:56 PM »

If you were in the Roman Senate, would you have followed your namesake's example, and joined in the plot to assassinate Julius Caesar, perhaps being among those who stabbed him to death?  

Yes - whilst I am a big believer in authoritarianism, Julius Caesar was upsetting the established order of things and as I am a big believer in the established order of things even if it does not work I would have plunged a knife right into his jacksie.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2022, 08:12:15 PM »

Also urinating on Deutsche Bank’s headquarters in London to the tune of Rockin the Casbah gives me life.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2022, 08:15:12 PM »

Opinion on Cicero, Pompey, and Labenius?
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2022, 10:29:46 PM »

I love Cicero because, without him, our picture of Ancient Rome would not have been as half as fleshed out - without hi descriptions of the Roman slave market we would be all the poorer.

As for Pompey - the man was described as ‘butcher boy’ - what an epithet - a lot of people I wish I could’ve added to a putative butcher’s bill during the earlier part of my youth!

Labienus - loyal servant of the republic rightfully turned against the Tyrant Caesar.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2022, 11:08:43 PM »

Когда будешь учить русский язык?
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2022, 11:43:47 PM »

несколько лет назад - долгосрочные обязательства, но оно того стоило, безусловно.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2022, 06:57:29 AM »

Who are you leaning towards in the next leadership election after Boris is cast away by the Tories?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2022, 07:00:21 AM »

несколько лет назад - долгосрочные обязательства, но оно того стоило, безусловно.

Я согласен.
Conservatopia
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 0.72, S: 8.60

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2022, 07:43:52 AM »

Yes - whilst I am a big believer in authoritarianism, Julius Caesar was upsetting the established order of things and as I am a big believer in the established order of things even if it does not work I would have plunged a knife right into his jacksie.

Yet another example of you and I being the Yin and Yang of the British Atlas Right.

At least we agree on Cicero.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2022, 10:27:55 AM »

Opinion of Cassius from the visual novel Adastra
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2023, 10:51:43 PM »

Opinion of Cassius from the visual novel Adastra

He seems like an alright lad. The weakness is an issue... on the other hand, I'm not exactly Ronnie Kray. Basically the self-loathing is down to a pat,  but I feel a decent amount of self-criticism is necessary as Chairman Mao would have agreed (for anyone except his sallowed self). On the other hand, I have taken and thrown (mostly taken, but you can't choose your friends) a punch, so I'm not so Cassiusish in this context (my model was always Cassius from Julius Caesar), but nonetheless seems like a relatively sensible lad.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2023, 11:04:10 PM »

Who are you leaning towards in the next leadership election after Boris is cast away by the Tories?
Since this question has been answered, what’s your favorite literary work?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies