IL-06: Casten vs. Newman?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:08:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  IL-06: Casten vs. Newman?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: IL-06: Casten vs. Newman?  (Read 4990 times)
Meatball Ron
recoveringdemocrat

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2021, 06:59:48 PM »

Newman needs to get to the 4th. We don't need a chance of Lipinski.

You don't think Lipinski entering would draw votes away from Casten, thereby benefitting Newman?
eh he'd probably split the non-college more catholic vote, allowing Casten to win through his base among secular college-educated voters.

Gotcha, makes sense. I just didn't follow the original post's logic that Newman's presence in the race increases Lipinski's odds.
Gracile
gracile
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2021, 07:41:58 PM »

Not surprising, but EMILY's List endorsed Newman today-

Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2021, 10:05:30 PM »

Honestly they're both basically the same and the race will be quite close, but I'm rooting for Casten.
JM1295
Rookie
United States
« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2021, 10:27:50 PM »

Honestly they're both basically the same and the race will be quite close, but I'm rooting for Casten.

Newman is definitely much more left-wing and progressive than Casten. They are a consistent party-line vote, but to say they are the same isn't really accurate. This isn't an AOC-Cuellar type primary, but Newman and Casten certainly have their differences.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2021, 10:33:18 PM »

Newman is definitely much more left-wing and progressive than Casten. They are a consistent party-line vote, but to say they are the same isn't really accurate. This isn't an AOC-Cuellar type primary, but Newman and Casten certainly have their differences.

Yeah, I suspected Newman was more progressive while Casten was more mainstream, but it's their votes that really matter. Newman is more liberal than the average Democrat but not liberal enough to act like AOC and the Squad and cast protest votes against what the party wants. I mean, AOC and the Squad all voted against the infrastructure bill because it wasn't progressive enough or whatever, but Newman stayed with the party. So I don't think there's a major difference practically speaking, but I support Casten over Newman, partly because of Newman's progressivism now that I've confirmed it.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2022, 05:08:15 PM »

So this race might have ended before it began.

JM1295
Rookie
United States
« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2022, 05:18:31 PM »

Damn I really like Newman and given the few voices we have in Congress that is critical of Israel, she's been great. However, we shouldn't overlook corruption just because of ideological preferences, even if this kind of corruption is commonplace with Illinois Democrats.

Also, it's kind of funny to see Newman be the first Justice Democrat go down after how laser focused folks were on ousting Tlaib or Omar through a primary and/or redistricting.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2022, 05:19:21 PM »

Sounds about right to me. Go Casten!
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2022, 06:43:00 PM »

god damn that sucks
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2022, 06:50:20 PM »

I've never been a fan of Newman, so hopefully Casten defeats her in the primary.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2022, 06:54:17 PM »

Welp, Casten it is, then.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2022, 06:55:39 PM »

I've never been a fan of Newman, so hopefully Casten defeats her in the primary.

Seems likely she might not even make it to the primary now.

She was essentially carpetbagging after being drawn into Garcia's district anyway, so this just puts the nail in that coffin.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2022, 07:24:29 PM »

That sucks, I really like Newman, but this is absolutely disqualifying. I have no problems with Casten, he's been a solid party-line vote, and I hope he wins.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2022, 07:30:48 PM »

Unless she actually gets charged with something before the primary, this is nbd.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2022, 11:30:00 PM »

It seems to me here Newman did something that basically everyone else does; she was just dumb enough to write it down.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2022, 01:01:36 AM »

Unless she actually gets charged with something before the primary, this is nbd.

Whether it turns out to be anything criminal or worthy of action from Congress, this basically ensures the endorsements in that district will be roughly 210-10. So that in and of itself is fairly significant.
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -6.59, S: 1.20

P P
« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2022, 03:43:18 AM »

Chehade is running in the primary for the new 3rd district. He probably wasn’t going to win anyway, but it’d be interesting to see how (if at all) this affects him.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2022, 04:07:05 AM »

I wonder if Lipinski jumps in against Casten with Newman likely out of the way. My understanding is that this is a heavily Catholic district with lots of conservadems (I could be wrong though). If this is accurate, Lipinski could draw on a combination of his old voting base and using his Catholicism as a wedge against outspoken atheist Casten.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2022, 11:43:07 AM »

Whether it turns out to be anything criminal or worthy of action from Congress, this basically ensures the endorsements in that district will be roughly 210-10. So that in and of itself is fairly significant.

Endorsements from other congressmen, especially those outside Chicagoland, are totally irrelevant.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2022, 11:44:01 AM »

I wonder if Lipinski jumps in against Casten with Newman likely out of the way. My understanding is that this is a heavily Catholic district with lots of conservadems (I could be wrong though). If this is accurate, Lipinski could draw on a combination of his old voting base and using his Catholicism as a wedge against outspoken atheist Casten.

Marie Newman has been trying to get into Congress for years.  She's not going to drop out because of an ethics complaint.
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -6.59, S: 1.20

P P
« Reply #70 on: January 27, 2022, 05:35:30 PM »

Has there been any indication Lipinski is seriously considering coming back? His social media seems pretty inactive.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #71 on: January 28, 2022, 12:19:16 AM »

Marie Newman has been trying to get into Congress for years.  She's not going to drop out because of an ethics complaint.

When has a silly little thing like corruption stopped anybody?
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #72 on: January 28, 2022, 01:32:24 AM »

Could Republicans win this seat?
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #73 on: January 28, 2022, 08:24:45 PM »
« Edited: January 28, 2022, 08:28:45 PM by Green Line »

Newman won by 13 in a slightly more favorable district last year.  Whoever wins the primary is clearly favored but in a large wave it could fall.  Have to see how the summer/fall plays out.  The DuPage turf is relatively red-ish downballot still relative to Biden's #s, but thats countered by the fact that the R trending southwest burbs are traditionally more downballot D than the topline suggests.  If I had to guess by now, Newman by 5 over Pekau, Casten slightly less.  Provided Newman's ethics issues dont blow up, shes a better candidate here for the Dems.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #74 on: February 01, 2022, 09:16:33 PM »

oops
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies