Greatest modern champion of secularism?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 02:23:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Greatest modern champion of secularism?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: The best spokesperson for secularism?
George Carlin

Christopher Hitchens

Richard Dawkins

Sam Harris

Bill Maher

Lawerence Krauss

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 20

Author Topic: Greatest modern champion of secularism?  (Read 821 times)
James Monroe

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 21, 2021, 12:18:31 PM »

Of the people listed above, including two notable individuals who are no longer with us, who do you think has defended the best case for atheism and rationality to the general public? Curious to know as some of these figures have been criticized on this board but have been championed by many as the turning point to secularism.

For me nobody does it quite like Hitchens. Just a witty man and incredible intellectual that has been missed since he left us in 2011.  Carlin did the best in getting the viewpoint across to the general layperson and his language barrier is testament to his popularity long after his death. Carlin is very likely the most influential atheist of the modern world.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2021, 12:22:25 PM »

The one who turned all the followers of those folks alt-right, of course.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2021, 12:22:33 PM »

I mean, Carlin obviously sucked least (although Hitchens had his moments, notably seeing through Bill Clinton relatively early on). Dawkins has fared the best as a Weird Twitter icon, though, which is something.
James Monroe

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2021, 12:25:33 PM »

All of the listed individuals go against the alt-right notion of preserving superstition.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2021, 12:29:45 PM »

All of the listed individuals go against the alt-right notion of preserving superstition.

Why do they like "preserving superstition" when it fits their cultural grievances of resenting Muslims and trans folks, then?
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2021, 12:37:16 PM »

How about relatively normal people such as Carl Sagan?
James Monroe

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2021, 12:40:27 PM »

Thought about including Sagan, though I could include many pop science individuals if I wanted to.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2021, 12:51:06 PM »

Sagan advocated for secularism in a way that didn't revolve around weird nihilism (Carlin) or unprovoked personal insults (most of the others listed here), so Generation Outrage Algorithm has no use for him.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2021, 01:27:25 PM »

What is this? This is the sort of list some edgy Christian would put together. I partly take that back; this list is very Atlas Forum Cheesy

In the modern era you could say Jonas Salk for his medical contributions and or Gloria Steinem for her views on feminism and early advocacy of a lot of current mainstream issues. James Randi was the most effective of the 'skeptics.'

I agree with the inclusion of Carl Sagan.

If your list is primarily Brits making a quick buck fifteen years ago to argue on Christian college campuses that's quite sheltered.
James Monroe

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2021, 01:51:46 PM »

What is this? This is the sort of list some edgy Christian would put together. I partly take that back; this list is very Atlas Forum Cheesy

In the modern era you could say Jonas Salk for his medical contributions and or Gloria Steinem for her views on feminism and early advocacy of a lot of current mainstream issues. James Randi was the most effective of the 'skeptics.'

If your list is primarily Brits making a quick buck fifteen years ago to argue on Christian college campuses that's quite sheltered.

Edgy Christians? I mean, those "types" would be offended by all of the above anyways, which makes them the antitheses of these ideologies. Now that you mention him, James Randi did a great job of skewing the fantastical crowd. Sad to learn of his passing last year, hopefully new generations of skeptics will continue his legacy of showing the truthful nature of science to the world. Gloria Steinem does not cross my mind for inclusion because I think of her more primarily as a social reformer who was secular than an outspoken secular figure, though she did win the AHA Humanist Award. For a wonderful humanist in charge we should thank Dr. Anthony Fauci who has protected America against this time of crisis, who lead the charge against anti-intellectualism that is prolonging the pandemic in America. Still, he's a man of science than a philosopher on the illogical nature of religion.

Say what you will about the New Atheists, they were brave individuals who spoke out against religion when it was more fashionable. Nowadays I think you can go around to people and say you're a nonbeliever because of these men great task in challenging the superstitious status quo that had a hand in help from the U.S government during the Bush era.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2021, 01:52:51 PM »

Christopher Hitchens
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2021, 01:56:11 PM »

Sam Harris is basically trying to resurrect phrenology.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2021, 02:19:11 PM »

Edgy Christians? I mean, those "types" would be offended by all of the above anyways, which makes them the antitheses of these ideologies. Now that you mention him, James Randi did a great job of skewing the fantastical crowd. Sad to learn of his passing last year, hopefully new generations of skeptics will continue his legacy of showing the truthful nature of science to the world. Gloria Steinem does not cross my mind for inclusion because I think of her more primarily as a social reformer who was secular than an outspoken secular figure, though she did win the AHA Humanist Award. For a wonderful humanist in charge we should thank Dr. Anthony Fauci who has protected America against this time of crisis, who lead the charge against anti-intellectualism that is prolonging the pandemic in America. Still, he's a man of science than a philosopher on the illogical nature of religion.

Say what you will about the New Atheists, they were brave individuals who spoke out against religion when it was more fashionable. Nowadays I think you can go around to people and say you're a nonbeliever because of these men great task in challenging the superstitious status quo that had a hand in help from the U.S government during the Bush era.

I really don't think secularization is stochastic enough of a social force to be credited to (or blamed on, depending on your priors) Richard "dogs in full 69" Dawkins or Sam "if I could wave a magic wand and get rid of either rape or religion, I would get rid of religion" Harris, James. If one absolutely insists on great-manning this then a better figure to bring up in this context, in an own-petard sort of way, might be Ralph Reed.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2021, 03:54:20 PM »

Why do they like "preserving superstition" when it fits their cultural grievances of resenting Muslims and trans folks, then?

To what superstition do you refer?
Biden his time
Abdullah
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2021, 07:04:02 PM »

Unironically Carl Sagan
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2021, 09:25:11 PM »

Voltaire or Huxley.

IDK about the late 20th/21st century because secularism is already hegemonic. It's probably someone in the Arab world.
James Monroe

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2021, 11:16:39 PM »

Voltaire or Huxley.

IDK about the late 20th/21st century because secularism is already hegemonic. It's probably someone in the Arab world.

What do you think of Ayaan Hersi Ali?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayaan_Hirsi_Ali
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2021, 11:28:38 PM »

Voltaire or Huxley.

What do you think of Ayaan Hersi Ali?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayaan_Hirsi_Ali

Too identified with neoconservative discourse in the west for me to give a reasonable opinion.

I also said in the Arab world, so not a Dutch author.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2021, 11:48:16 PM »

Voltaire or Huxley.

If Huxley counts, you might as well include Bertrand Russell.

But Carlin is the best on this list, as Hitchens really went loopy after 9/11, and the rest of them are trash.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2021, 03:56:48 AM »

afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2021, 07:08:27 AM »

It's odd to think Hitchens died 10 years ago this month. I'd like to think he'd have not only hated Trump given his views on conspiracism and the embryonic 'birther' campaign against Obama, but hated also 'muh centrism' for enabling him.

But his widow has rightly refused wannane biographers from trying to 'claim' him as for or against any culture war tenet.

vitoNova
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2021, 09:56:39 AM »

Wasn't that Hitchens guy a massive neocon and a Dubya/Blair fanboi?

Ewwww.

Gross.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2021, 10:56:46 AM »
« Edited: December 23, 2021, 11:02:14 AM by afleitch »

Wasn't that Hitchens guy a massive neocon and a Dubya/Blair fanboi?

Ewwww.

Gross.

Hitchens was contrarian. He was a Nader to Bush to Obama supporter for numerous reasons apparent to him.

He was 'radicalised' on the need for foreign intervention by Bosnia, Kosovo (intervention to help European Muslims) and Rwanda. That what happened on 9/11 and in Afghanistan and against the Kurds in Iraq (whom he supported) was seen by him as an extension of 'all that' a mere half decade later, shouldn't suprise anyone at the time. (Bosnia was seared into my young mind too and still colours my views today, as Dunblane still does on gun control.)

FT-02 Senator A.F.E. 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2021, 12:51:49 PM »

I can't believe you guys haven't brought up the greatest champion of secularism in the 21st century: olawakandi
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2021, 02:11:33 PM »

I can't believe you guys haven't brought up the greatest champion of secularism in the 21st century: olawakandi

The thread is about secularism, not SECULARISM.

The capitalization changes the meaning. Like polish and Polish.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies