Victorian church rebrands itself "St. Mike's" to appeal to the youngs
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:11:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Victorian church rebrands itself "St. Mike's" to appeal to the youngs
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Will efforts like these succeed in attracting Millennials and Gen-Zs to Christianity?
Yes; sociological trends show that secularism is in decline and young people are looking for meaning in life. We're on the verge of a second Great Awakening.

Hahahahahahaha!

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 33

Author Topic: Victorian church rebrands itself "St. Mike's" to appeal to the youngs  (Read 1479 times)
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 16, 2021, 04:56:25 PM »

The church will also open a coffee bar, which is sure to become the newest, hippest place in all of Bournemouth.
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2021, 05:28:01 PM »

The only thing that will foster a resurgence of church attendance/activity among young people is if it goes hand-in-hand with some kind of broader respect for, or identity with, the institutions of society at-large, which would have to reverse the decades-in-the-making process of societal alienation and the disintegration of social norms.

Church leadership attempting to be the bee's knees by bribing people with hipster coffee is as pathetic as corporate techbro or hedge-fund types trying to attract yuppies with craft beer and foosball tables in the break-room that screams "look at hyper-modern and hip our firm is."
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2021, 06:13:51 PM »

I'm looking forward to what BRTD has to say about this.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2021, 10:04:00 PM »

These are not the types of churches that young people go to.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2021, 11:28:45 PM »

I'm looking forward to what BRTD has to say about this.
Actually I really can't put it any better than this:
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2021, 11:36:34 PM »

But actually the names of churches that do attract young people tend to be more along the lines of not having "church" in the name at all, much less "Saint" and sound more like a night club or something. Or have the name be just some one word succinct thing like "Fabric" or "Tides" or "Mosaic" and leave it at that.

On a side note it recently hit me that while they definitely like her, the kids at my church probably don't consider my church's youth director "cool" because a 33-year old woman who listens to emo and hardcore to them is...basically their parents.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2021, 10:57:22 AM »

Yes, in the sense that they are much less likely to go to Church of England churches of their own accord.

Anyway, I have nothing good to say about this, and the Church of England's decline in membership is deserved given their decline in many other areas.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2021, 02:08:46 PM »

Yes, in the sense that they are much less likely to go to Church of England churches of their own accord.

Anyway, I have nothing good to say about this, and the Church of England's decline in membership is deserved given their decline in many other areas.
The Church of England's big problem is it sounds like it tried to he the equivalent of Kyrsten Sinema in regards to all theological and political issues and thus ends up pleasing absolutely no one.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2021, 08:15:54 PM »

The Church of England's big problem is it sounds like it tried to he the equivalent of Kyrsten Sinema in regards to all theological and political issues and thus ends up pleasing absolutely no one.

I'm not exactly sure what is meant by the reference to Krysten Sinema in this context, but the Church of England's self-conception as the via media is absolutely central to its tradition and even its theological legitimacy. Dunno what's left if one abandons that idea.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2021, 09:45:38 PM »

St. Mike's is a common colloquial nickname for institutions named St Michael's anyway. While actually changing the name is a bit silly, there's probably far more absurd things that go on at BRTD's church every week.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2021, 10:05:20 PM »

"Mike" is, on top of everything else, a deeply middle-aged name at this point.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2021, 01:59:53 AM »

I'm not exactly sure what is meant by the reference to Krysten Sinema in this context, but the Church of England's self-conception as the via media is absolutely central to its tradition and even its theological legitimacy. Dunno what's left if one abandons that idea.

The Church in Wales? (i.e., a Protestant High Church)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2021, 04:13:41 AM »

My former Catholic Church is known colloquially as 'St Al's'. Short handed names are quite common and whether official or unofficial seem less trite to me than churches called things like Hope, Mercy, Vine or Destiny.

It's just aesthetics.
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2021, 10:23:50 AM »

That would be a fourth or fifth Great Awakening (the existence of the 1960-1980 one is debated).
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2021, 11:58:48 AM »

That would be a fourth or fifth Great Awakening (the existence of the 1960-1980 one is debated).
The Fourth Awakening, even if it be counted as a true awakening, was more a response to the Cold War than anything else. It certainly focused more on surface aspects than spiritual development.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2021, 03:51:04 PM »

Also an established church needs to be a big tent, at least in theory. Not necessarily a fan of established churches but they are meant to be for all people in the nation.

Also I kind of agree with BRTD here, in the sense that if you want to re-name a church to "appeal more to young people" (which I think isn't that helpful but still), if it's still "St. [Name]'s Church of Bournemouth" you are not really changing the mental image people will have
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2021, 12:50:54 AM »

Also I kind of agree with BRTD here, in the sense that if you want to re-name a church to "appeal more to young people" (which I think isn't that helpful but still), if it's still "St. [Name]'s Church of Bournemouth" you are not really changing the mental image people will have

Especially given that it's in Bournemouth, geez louise. I'm sure it's not the same place it was in the days when it was a retirement enclave for people similar to J.R.R. Tolkien at best and Gerald Gardner at worst, but I can't imagine its popular image within England has changed that much.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2021, 10:14:29 AM »

Especially given that it's in Bournemouth, geez louise. I'm sure it's not the same place it was in the days when it was a retirement enclave for people similar to J.R.R. Tolkien at best and Gerald Gardner at worst, but I can't imagine its popular image within England has changed that much.

And Tolkien didn't even like it!

As for Bournemouth now... well, the reality has shifted a bit, but the image has not. It does (somewhat randomly) have a good symphony orchestra, mind.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2021, 09:47:00 PM »

This is cultural appropriation of Catholics. I’ve been to St Mike’s, St Joe’s, and St Al’s. None officially named that but that’s what we call ‘em.
_.
Abdullah
United States
P P P
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2021, 12:41:25 PM »

There should a be "Church of St Tony Soprano" in New Jersey somewhere
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2021, 12:32:53 AM »

Churches need to offer a serious theological and philosophical outlet for their parishioners if they want to stay relevant going forward. Balloons and skateboards and terrible modern music are not drawing anyone in. You'll attract more people if you actually give them what you're advertising, which is some sort of answer to the big questions we face in this world.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies