What is your immigration stance?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:11:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  What is your immigration stance?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: What is your immigration stance?  (Read 1962 times)
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2021, 03:55:34 PM »

Implement an immigration pause for a minimum of 15 years.

Additionally, implement a high tech security barrier at the southern border alongside existing wall sections.

Deport all illegal migrants, end DACA.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2021, 04:57:23 PM »

Anyone who wishes to immigrate anywhere should be able to do so if they fulfill some basic requirements such as registration or a broad commitment to abide by the country's values, unless the country's government can produce a compelling reason to deny a person entry.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2021, 06:23:38 PM »
« Edited: December 02, 2021, 06:42:21 PM by Frodo »

I support raising current levels of legal immigration at least back to where they were before Trump took office, as well as raising the refugee limit as well to pre-Trump levels.  Perhaps it is my cosmopolitan background as I spent my childhood living overseas, but it would not alarm me to see first generation immigrants (especially from Africa and the Islamic world) ultimately reach about a fifth of the overall population of the United States.  In fact, I want that to happen.  I think we as a society can certainly benefit from high levels of (legal) immigration as we have in the past.  

At the same time, I also support implementing a high-tech virtual border wall over areas of the southern border where a physical wall makes no practical sense (in fact, even tearing down Trump's border wall in rural areas where it currently stands -it works best in urban settings), among other measures to secure the border.  

So think of an updated version of the 2013 immigration reform bill.

Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2021, 12:06:55 PM »

America is the land of opportunity, and someone's opportunities should not be limited simply because they were born halfway across the world.

It should be far easier to immigrate to the United States, and far easier to become a citizen. The process should not take more than a year at most.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2021, 04:07:36 PM »

My position is that Democrats should stop talking about immigration because they show time and again when actually in office that they only care about the issue as a racial bludgeon.

Republicans and Democrats are both very good at speaking in vague platitudes about this complex issue, but Democrats are the ones who have racialized it into an abstract battlefront in the culture war.  Every single Democrat running in 2020 was too of "woke" liberals to go on-record as supporting criminal enforcement of the country's immigration laws.  Democrats are a joke on education.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2021, 04:32:39 PM »

Build a wall at the New Brunswick/Quebec border to keep the Ontarian  menace at bay
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2021, 10:37:36 PM »

America is the land of opportunity, and someone's opportunities should not be limited simply because they were born halfway across the world.

It should be far easier to immigrate to the United States, and far easier to become a citizen. The process should not take more than a year at most.
Someone spends 365 days in the US, moves back abroad, and the US government should go to the end of the Earth to help them? Work in government jobs, potentially sensitive in nature? Serve on a jury or run for office with their entire year of experience observing life in America?

At that point, you might as well just give everyone in the world US citizenship.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2021, 08:48:42 PM »

For immigration reform (i.e., amnesty) and keeping TPS and DACA.
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2021, 09:17:37 PM »

For immigration reform (i.e., amnesty) and keeping TPS and DACA.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2021, 04:19:09 PM »

Work in government jobs, potentially sensitive in nature?

If a federal job is "sensitive in nature" then the inevitable background checks would flag anything nefarious. I'm not really sure what you're getting at here.

I'm not sure why their only living in America for one year would disqualify them from serving on a jury. If they are otherwise unqualified, they would be dismissed. And I imagine "I am currently not living in the country" would be a perfectly valid reason to be excused anyway.

The Constitution requires someone to have been a US citizen for seven years to serve in the House of Representatives and nine years to serve in the Senate, and virtually every state has residency requirements - so this wouldn't be an issue.

But if the voters are happy to elect them anyway, why should it be an issue?
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2021, 12:20:21 AM »

lol
THG
TheTarHeelGent
United States

« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2021, 05:00:43 PM »

Personally, I think the US needs an immigration moratorium, a border wall, and higher funding of ICE and Border Patrol. The Wall shouldn't necessarily be for stopping illegal immigrants, but rather slowing illegal immigrants down enough for ICE/Border Patrol to get there in time to apprehend them.

I disagree with an immigration moratorium, but I don’t mind reducing the amounts of visas given annually, per se.

Illegal immigration is a different matter entirely. We need to reduce that by as much as possible, and appropriate solutions to that would be funding ICE and building some sort of a border fence/wall.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2021, 10:15:10 PM »

We should have unrestricted immigration from Europe and East Asia*, impose income quotas for Latin America beyond which immigration is unrestricted, and use a points system to allow the best and brightest from Africa and the rest of Asia to enter this country. I could also see adding the Philippines and South Africa to the income quota segment, and Australia, New Zealand, and Israel would all be included in the Europe category.

*Note that East Asia is here defined as Japan, South Korea, and Taiwan.
CEO Mindset
penttilinkolafan
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2021, 01:34:23 PM »

Prohibiting further immigration from here on out plus deporting the most optimistic/idealistic 5% or so of americans every few years seems like a good policy.

"Growth mindset" aka what I call cope mindset/slave mindset is so widespread in the US because of the long history of immigration and is why the US has so many societal problems like lacking national healthcare, unrealistic/bigoted expectations of blacks[1], ridiculously anti-worker labor laws, etc. Closing immigration and actively selecting against people with that mindset is how we make the US a normal country in a few generations instead of a giant version of jim jones' guyanan cult compound.

[1] Really, if I was black I'd be even more anti-democrat/liberal than I am since the libs want blacks to not only excuse them for their policy/sociall failrues but want blacks to become dark-skinned marvel comics movies watching yuppies.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2021, 10:04:46 PM »
« Edited: December 13, 2021, 10:09:45 PM by Horus »

Moderate and Obama style. Be a deporter in chief but not mean spirited, don't discourage or encourage legal immigration and maybe streamline the process a bit.

Also a huge crackdown on anyone who hires illegal immigrants.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2021, 07:54:57 PM »

very in favor of immigration
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length