What is your immigration stance?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:18:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  What is your immigration stance?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What is your immigration stance?  (Read 2049 times)
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 25, 2021, 05:36:11 PM »

Personally, I think the US needs an immigration moratorium, a border wall, and higher funding of ICE and Border Patrol. The Wall shouldn't necessarily be for stopping illegal immigrants, but rather slowing illegal immigrants down enough for ICE/Border Patrol to get there in time to apprehend them.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2021, 06:19:01 PM »

I don't hate foreigners and I don't feel the need to erect a big beautiful monument to how much I hate foreigners.
_.
Abdullah
United States
P P P
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2021, 06:49:00 PM »

More immigration, all the time!
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2021, 07:34:05 PM »

I believe anybody that wants to come to the United States of America should be able to come here.  I don't believe in walls in any country on Earth - but there must be also laws to protect people, to fight terrorism, and so there's a balance between the sentiment that we want to welcome everyone and that we need to do what has to be done to promote world security and world peace.  So it's an issue that is complex and there's no sound bite really that does it justice.  I certainly wholeheartedly support the placement of asylum seekers and victims of terrorism and victims of aggressive oppressive governments here in the USA.  I believe that it is in our national security interests to bring certain groups of innocent families here, and give their children a better life - yes I do.
CEO Mindset
penttilinkolafan
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2021, 09:51:58 AM »

No more immigration and punish employers for hiring scabs over the years while immigration was legal.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2021, 02:32:58 PM »

Immigration has a place that should be respected and people who are committed to bettering their lives and contributing to the country should be given an opportunity to come here. With that said, we are kidding ourselves if we think letting people come here is a serious solution to the problem of global poverty.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2021, 02:40:03 PM »
« Edited: October 26, 2021, 02:43:34 PM by Santander »

- End jus soli citizenship
- End EB-5, replace with a genuine investment immigration program
- Only issue long-term visas to citizens of countries with > .800 HDI, except investors
- End chain migration by limiting family sponsorship to spouse and minor children
- Remove language and citizenship test requirement for naturalization
- End employer-sponsored permanent residency, replace with 5 years of legal non-student residency, followed by 1 year of permanent residence for naturalization
- No automatic work privileges for derivative visas
- "Virtual" border wall with technology and drones, only limited physical barriers
- Death penalty for drug traffickers
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2021, 05:03:41 PM »

Everyone should be required to live outside of the country they were born in for at least a period of three years. Preferably in a country that speaks a different language.

I’m aware that’s more of an emigration policy but the spirit is the same
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2021, 06:00:19 PM »

Everyone should be required to live outside of the country they were born in for at least a period of three years. Preferably in a country that speaks a different language.

Afghanistan is doing really great then.
CEO Mindset
penttilinkolafan
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2021, 06:24:07 PM »

give me no strings attached a couple hundred thousand swiss francs a year, making that the sole condition and i'd be willing to bail out of the us permanently tbh
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2021, 06:28:48 PM »

give me no strings attached a couple hundred thousand swiss francs a year, making that the sole condition and i'd be willing to bail out of the us permanently tbh
How about you take your CEO mindset and find a job, instead of asking for a handout like the refugees you hate.
CEO Mindset
penttilinkolafan
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2021, 06:43:40 PM »

save the weak and unfunny libertarian trolling for red avatars
FT-02 Senator A.F.E. 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2021, 03:19:24 PM »

Southern Reactionary Dem
SouthernReactionaryDem
Rookie
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2021, 09:43:47 AM »

We need something akin to the immigration act of 1924. We had just finished letting a bunch of Italians and Irishmen into the country for the previous 40 years..... then we gave them another 40 to assimilate and it worked rather well. We should do the same today. You can't let unlimited numbers of people (particularly low skill and low income people) come in for an unlimited amount of time. It just isn't sustainable, especially if we're going to have a generous welfare state.
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.91

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2021, 01:56:16 AM »

Simply put: Illegal immigration bad; legal immigration good and should be streamlined/increased.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2021, 05:27:42 AM »
« Edited: October 31, 2021, 05:36:01 AM by Meclazine »

Legal immigration is fine with chosen refugees, skilled migrants, economic migrants.

With illegal migrants, you just need a temporary protection system. You get granted asylum, and then after a period of time repatriated with your homeland when it safe to do so.

Australia just expelled a guy to Bosnia recently after he tried to argue that he would be persecuted as a Muslim in Bosnia. That is crazy. The guy was a convicted drug dealer who escaped from prison and was on the run for 15 years.

Australia has simply had too many lazy immigrants taking the piss.

We get a lot of methamphetamine import issues from Iran for example:

https://www.afp.gov.au/news-media/media-releases/two-iranian-nationals-charged-250kg-meth-import

https://english.alarabiya.net/amp/News/world/2021/04/07/Indonesia-sentences-Iranian-led-drugs-gang-of-12-to-death-by-firing-squad

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10134709/amp/Mostafa-Baluch-Family-hold-crisis-talks-deny-knowing-drug-fugitive-fled.html

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5433491/amp/Iranian-refugee-couple-flood-streets-Sydney-ice.html

The last couple were immigrants off the boat and had only been in Australia 5 years before importing $130M worth of crystal.

I am not saying that all Iranian and Afghani immigrants are drug dealers, but it's something where Australians bare witness to the fact that that our largest drug kingpins are Iranian and Afghani.

At some point, Australian Immigration needs to ask the question "Why can't we get more people from Norway".

TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2021, 01:59:10 AM »

Make the laws something you actually plan on enforcing and don't be a crazy person.
Damocles
Sword of Damocles
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2021, 08:31:01 PM »

Generally pro-immigration. The United States' key cultural strength has always been the transcendental and unitive nature of its doctrine of natural law, as well as promises of life, liberty, and property. These are opportunities which many, from the Mayflower to our contemporary moment, have sought to capitalize on - for their benefit and for their posterity.

For what it's worth, my dad came to the United States from Czechoslovakia on a political refuge visa during the 1970s. Had it not been for the United States' willingness to accept him, I wouldn't exist. Were I to take a more nativist tack and oppose extending these opportunities to others, I would be a hypocrite.

It would also run directly counter to my lived experiences interacting with immigrants from the Philippines, Mexico, El Salvador, The Gambia, Ethiopia, Romania, Ukraine, Vietnam, and other countries, in the course of my work. The oft-parroted right-wing populist perception of them being "lazy" or "undermining the US" is just laughably false.
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2021, 05:10:52 PM »
« Edited: November 10, 2021, 05:36:24 PM by JD Vance for Senate »

Decentralize most immigration controls to the state level. End federal work visas except for green cards and have states determine whether or not to use work visas and the number of visas granted. Utilize those under unemployment to work at one of the jobs that would normally use work visas and cut off unemployment if they refuse, unless they are rejected for a valid reason. Encourage states to invest in large public work options including infrastructure for laid off workers including coal miners. If states allow visas, employers should not be allowed to pay them under minimum wage. This basically solves the problem of wage slavery, as well as solving the concern about foreigners taking jobs from citizens without resorting into nativism.

Allow states to come up with their own method for immigration, control their own immigration, repeal the federal immigration cap and allow states to determine deportations. Do not allow voting federally if one is an illegal immigrant, although states/local communities decide about state/local elections (preferably by referendum). End catch and release. Those in detention facilities for deportation hearings should not be released. Employers should not be allowed to hire illegal immigrants, unless they have a green card. ID's and drivers licenses and other things should be determined at the state level. States should also invest in new ports of entry similar to how Ellis Island used to operate.

That being said, I think we still need a system of border security similar to what is being used in countries such as Israel.
RosettaStoned
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.45, S: -5.91

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2021, 01:27:06 AM »

Why is it considered perfectly fine for a country like Israel to have a border wall, but somehow, it is considered racist for the United States of America to have a border wall? Also, while we are at it; why is it okay for Israel to profile people at airports, but it is considered racist if The United States of America profiles people at airports? I could easily answer this question, however, there is no such thing free speech on the internet apparently.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2021, 02:23:26 AM »
« Edited: January 18, 2024, 02:02:23 PM by Dr. MB »

Why is it considered perfectly fine for a country like Israel to have a border wall, but somehow, it is considered racist for the United States of America to have a border wall? Also, while we are at it; why is it okay for Israel to profile people at airports, but it is considered racist if The United States of America profiles people at airports? I could easily answer this question, however, there is no such thing free speech on the internet apparently.
Answer: it's bad when it happens in both instances.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2021, 01:45:30 PM »

My views on this haven't really changed since I joined the forum:

Immigration
Those who are already in the US should not be deported. A border wall, as well as the family separation policy, is inhumane and ineffective. Increase the border patrol (unsubstantially), and tax employers who employ illegal immigrants. Racial profiling is bad. The 2017 executive order banning immigration from 7 Muslim-majority countries was counterintuitive, racist and ineffective. Make the immigration and citizenship process easier as well, so illegal immigration is necessary for less families.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2021, 06:37:09 AM »

Because the Mexicans are not terrorists firing rockets at the US.

Palestine or Hamas or PLO in the last 40 years have been branded, rightly or wrongly, the bad guys. And their form of terrorism has 80% of the Western World offside.

Hence, that is not racist. That is basic protection.

The US border wall is an economic boundary for people seeking a better life.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2021, 11:43:44 AM »

Legal - Welcome

Illegal - FOH
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2021, 02:00:55 PM »

Indefinite moratorium on long-term residency with the exception of refugees fleeing a hypothetical war in Mexico, Canada, or a Caribbean nation.

Funding where possible for refugee resettlement overseas for diplomatic purposes and moral purposes to the extent it does not interfere with our moral obligations to care for fellow Americans first.

A minimal number of geographically-restricted visas for visiting businesspersons, diplomats, entertainers, or tourists, but not for students.

No statutory pathway to citizenship.

Eliminate jus soli citizenship.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies