VA-Emerson- tie
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:33:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections
  2023 & Odd Year Gubernatorial Election Polls (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  VA-Emerson- tie
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: VA-Emerson- tie  (Read 2300 times)
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 25, 2021, 03:16:55 PM »

Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2021, 03:27:16 PM »

Hmmm... I strongly expected a Youngkin lead from this pollster given the trend, but he stalled out at 48%.  Strangely, this could be McAuliffe's best non Dem affiliated poll in 2 weeks. 
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2021, 03:30:29 PM »

I'm starting to wonder if a youngkin ayala herring victory is possible
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2021, 03:33:40 PM »
« Edited: October 25, 2021, 03:40:09 PM by CentristRepublican »

I'm starting to wonder if a youngkin ayala herring victory is possible

It isn't. Polls can be wrong. See 2016 and 2020 in WI, MI and PA (I know that the trio supported Biden by 2020, but I remember seeing a lot of polls in which Biden was leading in PA by 7-8 points...he ultimately won by just over 1 point). VA is too liberal to elect Youngkin; it supported Biden by double digits, so although I expect Youngkin to overperform Trump by a noticeable amount, McAuliffe will still ride the state's partisanship to victory. Youngkin ran a decent campaign but that's not enough in VA for a Republican in a statewide race at this point.

EDIT: Note that this is one of Youngkin's best polls out of dozens, and it's not like he's leading in it at all - it's a tie. Youngkin would need to outperform almost all polls to win, and I think he'll have a challenge crossing that last 5% or so. (I have McAuliffe winning by 7.2 points, actually.)

EDIT: I want to add that your own signature probably summarizes why the GOP can't win in VA anymore at all - the suburbs and urbs in NOVA and elsewhere have become Democratic strongholds and Youngkin is too associated with Trump to come near doing as well in them as he needs to in order to win.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2021, 03:59:46 PM »

The problem for Youngkin is that this poll has him doing way better than he realistically will among Blacks (24%) and Latinos (47%) and yet he's still only tied.

Given that he will not be getting anywhere close to that support among those groups, I would clearly rather be McAuliffe.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2021, 04:02:43 PM »

The problem for Youngkin is that this poll has him doing way better than he realistically will among Blacks (24%) and Latinos (47%) and yet he's still only tied.

Given that he will not be getting anywhere close to that support among those groups, I would clearly rather be McAuliffe.

Maybe the small sample size or maybe there's a lot of PoC's who are transracial.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2021, 04:29:59 PM »

Maybe the small sample size or maybe there's a lot of PoC's who are transracial.

Regardless of the sample size, if Youngkin can only come out at 48% when he's getting nearly 25% of Blacks and 50% of Latinos - that is not a realistic scenario where he's winning.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2021, 04:38:56 PM »

Subsamples are never worth analyzing. The n is too small.

Regardless of the sample size, if Youngkin can only come out at 48% when he's getting nearly 25% of Blacks and 50% of Latinos - that is not a realistic scenario where he's winning.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2021, 04:46:26 PM »

Subsamples are never worth analyzing. The n is too small.

On further inspection, it appears that Youngkin got at least 18% of the black vote and 40% of the Hispanics if you factor the numbers in the least favorable way to him.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2021, 05:02:29 PM »

Dismissing a poll by cherry-picking subsample findings when the topline is identical to that of the other most recent poll (Cygnal, 48-48) is very lazy.

This isn't the first time I've said this, but I beg y'all to stop treating results among subsamples like gospel.
neostassenite31
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2021, 06:02:33 PM »

Biden+10 and D+4 sample with 57% bachelor's degree or higher. Biden's approval according to this is 41-52 (-10)

Also, Youngkin technically beat McAuliffe by two votes in this sample
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2021, 06:23:40 PM »

Biden+10 and D+4 sample with 57% bachelor's degree or higher. Biden's approval according to this is 41-52 (-10)

Yea so people need to get real and change their ratings on the race
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2021, 06:49:07 PM »

With learners, McAuliffe was ahead by 10 respondents.
neostassenite31
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2021, 07:23:48 PM »

With learners, McAuliffe was ahead by 10 respondents.

Imagine if the actual election itself is also decided by such margins. It could get ugly quick
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2021, 07:30:04 PM »

Fake news, T-Mac wins by mid-high single digits, pollsters finally decide it's time to commit seppuku.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2021, 07:32:41 PM »

We still take Emerson seriously?
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2021, 07:42:52 PM »

It's seriously questionable why we should take any polls at all seriously at this point.
Buzz

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2021, 11:34:06 PM »

We don't take any polls seriously...
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2021, 01:30:17 AM »

Well yeah, now that they show Democrats in danger.

What's hilarious is that throughout 2020, they overestimated Democrats quite a bit on aveage but were still better than the "reputable" polls that were believed without one thought. But they continue to get laughed at as an unserious poll as if they overestimate Republicans constantly.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2021, 05:11:57 AM »

What's hilarious is that throughout 2020, they overestimated Democrats quite a bit on aveage but were still better than the "reputable" polls that were believed without one thought. But they continue to get laughed at as an unserious poll as if they overestimate Republicans constantly.

I think they get laughed at because they A) have very questionable methodology (MTurk, etc.) and B) they suddenly went from Newsom +2 to +20 in a matter of like 2 or 3 weeks this year.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2021, 05:26:22 AM »

You'd expect wbrocks67 to learn his lessons from 2020. Instead, he's doubled down.

Regarding the poll's results, they are in line with other polling showing a race between Youngkin +1 to McAuliffe +5. We'll know soon, if they are right.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2021, 05:37:38 AM »

I think they get laughed at because they A) have very questionable methodology (MTurk, etc.) and B) they suddenly went from Newsom +2 to +20 in a matter of like 2 or 3 weeks this year.

So what you're saying is they accurately caught a large shift to the left in the electorate that many others saw too in the final weeks? And that makes them a joke? I would say that gives them integrity to publish such a different result. The California recall as a whole was a weird timing off-year election that really shouldn't be used to compare any other regularly scheduled elections. Remember Walker's recall? Did that predict anything for 2012?

And while so many people cite the methodology, not a single person can explain why they haven't had a worse track record than Quinnipiac, Siena, Monmouth, Ipsos, CNN, etc.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2021, 05:49:36 AM »

You'd expect wbrocks67 to learn his lessons from 2020. Instead, he's doubled down.

Regarding the poll's results, they are in line with other polling showing a race between Youngkin +1 to McAuliffe +5. We'll know soon, if they are right.

And if they are wrong, most of you will do exactly what you did with the CA result - not admit that you were wrong and just move on.

If you honestly think that Youngkin will get 25% of the black vote and 50% of the Latino vote, then I don't know what to tell you.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2021, 05:58:30 AM »

Which part in "one should't unskew small number demographic subsamples [strangely, only in polls you don't like]" you don't understand?

Also, stop strawmanning about CA.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2021, 05:16:05 PM »

Emerson continuing its winning streak!
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length