Flip the 6th (interest thread)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:13:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Flip the 6th (interest thread)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: Flip the 6th (interest thread)  (Read 4566 times)
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2021, 10:12:22 PM »

Waiting on more people to post turns. Anticipating sometime during or after the Thanksgiving break.
Any updates on this?
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2021, 12:35:45 AM »

Waiting on more people to post turns. Anticipating sometime during or after the Thanksgiving break.
Any updates on this?

I'm writing now
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2021, 01:58:07 AM »

Heads up, I've begun grading events and doing randomization for next round. Please post events/schedules (latter is optional) if you haven't already.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2021, 01:29:35 AM »

Heather Cooper proposes anti-negative campaigning agreement

An unfortunate result of primary campaigning is that already, the campaign has become unnecessarily negative on the Republican side; in particular, Dale Scott and I have been launching attacks at each other. This is counteractive to our common goal of a Republican winning in the district next November, since many of these same attacks being used now might be used by the Democratic candidate against the eventual Republican candidate (whether that be Doyle Brooks, Dale Scott, or myself). Aside from that, it is also unhelpful to conservatives across the district, who want to see meaningful proposals and actions taken against the Biden agenda. So I propose an anti-negative campaign pledge. All signatories will be pledging to not attack or slander any of the other signatories (so, for instance, if Doyle Brooks and Dale Scott were to sign this, both would be agreeing to mutually stopping their attacks against each other). This will, I think, help change the atmosphere of this primary (which is unnecessarily negative), and help us focus our attacks on our common adversaries, Joe Biden and the Democrats, who are hurting Americans in this district and elsewhere. Having proposed this agreement, I will be the first to proudly sign it, and am promising that hereonforth I will no longer be launching any negative attacks against any Republican candidate for the district who chooses to sign this agreement as well. Anyone who is interested in signing this pledge and ending negative campaigning in this primary should do so within the next week.

Signed

Now that we can no longer attack each other, and Ted Miller cannot win anyway, I think we should launch a series of coordinated negative/attack ads in the next round against Doyle Brooks in order to destroy him. For instance, we could jointly work on an ad against Doyle Brooks and Ted Miller - just attacking them and not explicitly supporting either of us - and then we both could use our round's points to air/run this ad districtwide. What are your thoughts on this?
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2021, 10:12:35 AM »

An unfortunate result of primary campaigning is that already, the campaign has become unnecessarily negative on the Republican side; in particular, Dale Scott and I have been launching attacks at each other. This is counteractive to our common goal of a Republican winning in the district next November, since many of these same attacks being used now might be used by the Democratic candidate against the eventual Republican candidate (whether that be Doyle Brooks, Dale Scott, or myself). Aside from that, it is also unhelpful to conservatives across the district, who want to see meaningful proposals and actions taken against the Biden agenda. So I propose an anti-negative campaign pledge. All signatories will be pledging to not attack or slander any of the other signatories (so, for instance, if Doyle Brooks and Dale Scott were to sign this, both would be agreeing to mutually stopping their attacks against each other). This will, I think, help change the atmosphere of this primary (which is unnecessarily negative), and help us focus our attacks on our common adversaries, Joe Biden and the Democrats, who are hurting Americans in this district and elsewhere. Having proposed this agreement, I will be the first to proudly sign it, and am promising that hereonforth I will no longer be launching any negative attacks against any Republican candidate for the district who chooses to sign this agreement as well. Anyone who is interested in signing this pledge and ending negative campaigning in this primary should do so within the next week.

Signed

Now that we can no longer attack each other, and Ted Miller cannot win anyway, I think we should launch a series of coordinated negative/attack ads in the next round against Doyle Brooks in order to destroy him. For instance, we could jointly work on an ad against Doyle Brooks and Ted Miller - just attacking them and not explicitly supporting either of us - and then we both could use our round's points to air/run this ad districtwide. What are your thoughts on this?
I'd support doing this
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2021, 02:31:52 PM »

Signed

I'd support doing this

Great. I'm thinking we could craft a TV ad jointly, both of us collaborating, and then pool our points to run it thrice in the Portland area and twice in Eugene. Right now I don't think we need to start working on it but we should probably start working on it when the next round begins.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2021, 03:04:19 PM »

When are you updating the polling / starting the next round? It's already three days past Thanksgiving, and I honestly am unsure that those who haven't posted yet will do so anytime soon.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2021, 04:47:35 PM »

Deadline for posts this turn will be November 30.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2021, 01:55:26 PM »

Is the updated polling coming out today? I expect Ted Miller to stay where his or even lose support, and for Dale Scott to increase greatly in support. Brooks and I will also likely see poll improvements as the number of undecidedes shrinks.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2021, 02:03:51 PM »

Is the updated polling coming out today? I expect Ted Miller to stay where his or even lose support, and for Dale Scott to increase greatly in support. Brooks and I will also likely see poll improvements as the number of undecidedes shrinks.
Polling is complete, so I'm working on it. Also bear in mind that I'm a college student so I can't do things at beck and call.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #60 on: December 01, 2021, 02:04:39 PM »

Polling is complete, so I'm working on it. Also bear in mind that I'm a college student so I can't do things at beck and call.

In that case, I apologize if I was disturbing you with my multiple posts here.
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2021, 07:46:42 PM »

How long do you anticipate the new turn lasting?
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: December 01, 2021, 08:12:03 PM »

Let's say the 15th, giving everyone two weeks to post.
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #63 on: December 01, 2021, 08:12:31 PM »

Let's say the 15th, giving everyone two weeks to post.
Ok
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #64 on: December 01, 2021, 09:08:24 PM »
« Edited: December 01, 2021, 09:21:52 PM by CentristRepublican »

Turn II
November-December 2021

Announcements

Due to continued overlap with IRL and a busy schedule on my part, all events that occur IRL are assumed to occur here - so the only news story in this update will be the 6th Congressional District update. Feel free to peruse current news for stories to campaign on.

Additionally, the endorsement bank has been posted (2nd or so reply in the gameplay thread). Feel free to begin courting endorsements. If there is a missing major figure you wish to add to the bank, make requests in the interest thread.

Schedules are highly encouraged, if not required this turn. Speeches will also be very helpful for poll numbers. Speaking of poll numbers, I will not be taking questions on them, though I should note there is randomization involved.

6th District race heats up - polling remains tight

With just under a year remaining until Election Day 2022, the marquee open-seat race for Oregon's newly-created 6th congressional district has began to heat up. This is particularly true on the Republican side, with an unexpected burst of vitriol from multiple sides characterizing the opening days of the campaign. While Biden was mentioned, Republican candidates - Heather Cooper and Dale Scott in particular - preferred to focus on each other, though a recent agreement against negative campaigning may possibly cool the tensions. Of note was an allegedly homophobic attack employed repeatedly by Cooper against fellow Republican Ted Miller highlighting his status as a gay man - while LGBTQ+ organizations and several state Democrats, including gubernatorial frontrunner Tina Kotek have condemned this attack, Republican primary voters appear mostly indifferent (if somewhat uncomfortable), and it is unlikely swing voters will remember this incident next November without prompting. On other fronts, Cooper has successfully increased her profile among voters outside her district, but party insiders and members of our focus group have expressed concern about her tax proposal and the aforementioned negative campaigns.

Meanwhile, top rival Doyle Brooks has successfully consolidated conservative support, with hardcore Trumpists and 'Stop The Steal' demographics strongly supporting his campaign - however, more moderate GOPers and swing voters are skeptical of his candidacy. Businessman Dale Scott, meanwhile, has emerged as a winner of the first stretch of the campaign, with an imbroglio with Senator Cooper and a strong ad campaign significantly improving his visibility - and apparently, poll numbers. The last Republican in the primary, Ted Miller, was the only one to avoid negatively - however, most of his small increase in name recognition has come from the media firestorm surrounding Cooper's attacks on his candidacy, and he has struggled to respond to attacks made against him. These various developments translate to polling curiously, with recent polls showing Brooks up narrowly against Cooper, with Scott trailing despite vastly expanding his base.

I know it doesn't matter now, but honestly the intent wasn't my being homphobic. I knew some GOP voters are homophobes but I didn't want to be seen as homophobic myself so I just mentioned that he was gay once or twice, just to throw it out there so homophobes and anti-gays generally don't support him. I also think you overestimate the media firestorm that erupts when a Republican congressional candidate in a primary says something controversial - it's a House race, and it's the primary. If there was a firestorm every time a GOP candidate running for congress said something like what I did then there would be a different firestorm every day. Having said that I will use the media firestorm against me as a weapon by mobilizing voters against the 'woke, left-wing mainstream media'. I'll mention most of my ads were mentioning that he supports legalizing all drugs and how the media defended him because they sympathize with him.

EDIT: Also you should know that I myself support gays, but am acting like a conservative candidate would for the purposes of this game.
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2021, 06:12:56 PM »

I think each of the candidates should take the Political Compass test

I have already taken the test as Dale Scott and received the following result
Auth/Lib: +1.13
Left/Right: + 6.25
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #66 on: December 03, 2021, 12:01:35 PM »

@ComRyder: The Republicans can't seem to work out who or what they are.

@HeatherCooper: The Democratic candidates cannot spell their own first names correctly.

@ChristineJang: The Republicans don’t seem to know what county commissioners are.

Oops. That backfired big time. Pretty big gaffe on my part.

I think each of the candidates should take the Political Compass test

I have already taken the test as Dale Scott and received the following result
Auth/Lib: +1.13
Left/Right: + 6.25

I don't think we should because I don't consider the Political Compass a reliable metric myself; a lot of their questions are kind of outdated/irrelevant today.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: December 04, 2021, 08:14:33 PM »

For clarification, Donald Trump has indeed endorsed Doyle Brooks.
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #68 on: December 08, 2021, 06:49:26 PM »

enter in Salem

December 13: Return to Corvallis for announcement.

"Due to the people of Benton County going out and getting vaccinated, we are today announcing that the Commssion, acting on the appropriate health advice, has voted that outdoor masks are no longer required in the county. They will remain required in indoor public settings, but no longer are required outdoors."

I believe the outdoor mask mandate is a statewide rule in Oregon
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #69 on: December 08, 2021, 09:57:01 PM »

enter in Salem

December 13: Return to Corvallis for announcement.

"Due to the people of Benton County going out and getting vaccinated, we are today announcing that the Commssion, acting on the appropriate health advice, has voted that outdoor masks are no longer required in the county. They will remain required in indoor public settings, but no longer are required outdoors."

I believe the outdoor mask mandate is a statewide rule in Oregon

Not true.

Taken from the Benton County website:

On November 30, 2021 the Benton County Board of Commissioners adopted Order No. D2021-079. This order lifts the outdoor face covering requirement but still requires all individuals ages 5 and above, regardless of vaccination status, to wear face coverings when in indoor public settings as described in Order No. D2021-063.

Source: https://www.co.benton.or.us/covid19/page/county-masking-requirements

I got the dates mixed up, and will be correcting that soon.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #70 on: December 17, 2021, 05:10:19 PM »

Is the update coming?
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #71 on: December 17, 2021, 08:49:26 PM »

Yeah once the side effects from the booster wear off
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #72 on: December 19, 2021, 07:20:02 PM »

Yeah once the side effects from the booster wear off
How are you doing?
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #73 on: December 21, 2021, 09:01:54 PM »

Rep. Heather Cooper: "While I agree with Mr Scott that Doyle Brooks is a radical, unwinnable extremist, I take fault with his saying that Yuri Testikov is a better person than Doyle Brooks is. Doyle Brooks has some good ideas (though many others are extreme); the same cannot be said of Yuri Testikov. I condemn his statement that Yuri Testikov is better than Doyle Brooks, and I suggest that he has no place in a Republican primary if he truly believes this. Doyle Brooks might be extremist but he is several steps better than an anarchist, radical, far-left socialist. We should all be able to agree on that here in the GOP, and if you don't, that's cause for concern."

I didn't come out and say that Testikov was a better person than Doyle Brooks, I simply Brooks was more radical, mainly for rhetorical effect, though I reworded that Tweet to avoid coming off in the wrong way
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #74 on: December 22, 2021, 02:30:25 PM »

I will be grading posts today.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length