Is it considered sinful for Muslims to sell THC?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 01:58:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Is it considered sinful for Muslims to sell THC?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is it considered sinful for Muslims to sell THC?  (Read 456 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 19, 2021, 05:03:23 PM »

The reason I ask is because there's a "convenience store" very close to me (the quotes are because it's actually a store that mostly sells e-cigs, vape juice, pipes, cheap prepaid cell phones, kratom, CBD and Delta-8 that also sells a very small amount of produce that I'm assuming literally no one buys based on the quality and the fact that there's a perfectly good grocery store [that I work at!] with usable produce literally just across the street, candy and bottled water/sports drinks/pop that is obviously sold only so it can meet the criteria of "convenience store" under zoning and licensing laws but doesn't sell any cigarettes or rollable tobacco because that can't be sold at a convenience store under Minneapolis ordinance and only at a designated "tobacco store" which is exactly what they're trying to avoid being designated as under Minneapolis ordinance.) which is owned and staffed by people of African/Middle Eastern descent and frequently plays those chanted prayers over speaker, closes briefly for prayer breaks and closes early on Friday.

Anyway as I noted above it sells Delta-8, which is THC and frankly in practice hardly any different from actual marijuana and I buy it there a lot and it just kind of hit me recently, and was wondering if it would be like a Muslim owning a liquor store.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2021, 10:01:05 PM »

Oh yeah basically the exact same thing applies to the store that George Floyd was murdered in front of and where he tried to pass the suspected counterfeit bill. (Although that place is much bigger, more of a legitimate convenience store and has an attached tobacco store like every real convenience store in Minneapolis did once that ordinance was passed.)
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2021, 04:33:43 AM »

Not to my knowledge, in general Muslim tend to be more accepting of the use of drugs than Christians are.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2021, 01:05:01 PM »

Not to my knowledge, in general Muslim tend to be more accepting of the use of drugs than Christians are.

A couple months ago I was with my dad and several of his friends, all of whom are observant Muslims, when the topic of marijuana legalization came up and all of them were laughing about how they were familiar with ganja from their youth in Bangladesh. I don't know if any of them actually used it and they wouldn't tell me if they did, but it would be inconceivable for them to talk about alcohol in the same way.

I don't use marijuana or any similar substances (aside from the stimulants I'm prescribed) on the grounds that it's better to be safe than sorry, but it would be very difficult to make the case that any non-alcohol substances are actively prohibited. As an example, tobacco consumption was so prevalent and so strongly associated with Muslims in the Punjab in the eighteenth century that Sikhs are prohibited from consuming tobacco to distinguish themselves.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2021, 04:07:49 PM »

A couple months ago I was with my dad and several of his friends, all of whom are observant Muslims, when the topic of marijuana legalization came up and all of them were laughing about how they were familiar with ganja from their youth in Bangladesh. I don't know if any of them actually used it and they wouldn't tell me if they did, but it would be inconceivable for them to talk about alcohol in the same way.

I don't use marijuana or any similar substances (aside from the stimulants I'm prescribed) on the grounds that it's better to be safe than sorry, but it would be very difficult to make the case that any non-alcohol substances are actively prohibited. As an example, tobacco consumption was so prevalent and so strongly associated with Muslims in the Punjab in the eighteenth century that Sikhs are prohibited from consuming tobacco to distinguish themselves.

Yes, it describes my experience pretty well, through as an outsider looking in. Interesting my experience are also that young Muslim tend to be less likely to consumer these products and it's the most and least religious who are less likely to use non-alcohol substance, the least religious following the pattern among non-Muslims of the same age and the most religious avoiding for puritanist reasons, much as we see among fundamentalist Christians.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2021, 10:50:42 PM »

I thought anything "intoxicating" was prohibited per the actual wording.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2021, 11:09:06 PM »

Well, that's the result of translation conventions. What is prohibited is خمر khamr, which can be translated as "intoxicant" but literally just means "wine". Nowadays everyone interprets this to mean a full prohibition on alcohol, but for centuries there was a prominent school of thought that held that the blanket prohibition in fact only applied to wine. The Wikipedia article on khamr does a good job of laying out the details.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2021, 11:27:16 PM »

Well, that's the result of translation conventions. What is prohibited is خمر khamr, which can be translated as "intoxicant" but literally just means "wine". Nowadays everyone interprets this to mean a full prohibition on alcohol, but for centuries there was a prominent school of thought that held that the blanket prohibition in fact only applied to wine. The Wikipedia article on khamr does a good job of laying out the details.
Well I guess there's your loophole that Muslim!BRTD would use to get drunk at emo shows!
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2021, 02:28:23 PM »

Chomsky used to have a funny anecdote about his Jewish upbringing. According to Talmudic law there's no difference between the holidays and the Sabbath, except with regard to eating or cooking dinner. So when a young Chomsky was visiting his Orthodox family in Baltimore during Passover, he noticed his grandfather smoking and asked him how he could be smoking on the holy day. And his grandfather responded that "smoking was a form of eating."

It seems to me that the entire assumption for this is that God is an idiot. Religions devise all of their legalistic rules and proscriptions which really no one can live up to, and then devise ways into fooling God that they have not been broken. You see this with Jews in the above example, you see this with Moslems in this thread ("well, Allah's intoxicants ban technically only literally translates to wine..."), and you see this with Christians who seem to be fans of all kinds of loopholes to get out of their religions' prohibitions on premarital sex, etc., going to confession, or finding ways to interpret Scripture to imply the opposite of what they actually mean so as to appear more palatable to prospective converts.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2021, 03:33:27 PM »
« Edited: October 22, 2021, 03:37:04 PM by Dr. RI, Trustbuster »

It seems to me that the entire assumption for this is that God is an idiot. Religions devise all of their legalistic rules and proscriptions which really no one can live up to, and then devise ways into fooling God that they have not been broken. You see this with Jews in the above example, you see this with Moslems in this thread ("well, Allah's intoxicants ban technically only literally translates to wine..."), and you see this with Christians who seem to be fans of all kinds of loopholes to get out of their religions' prohibitions on premarital sex, etc., going to confession, or finding ways to interpret Scripture to imply the opposite of what they actually mean so as to appear more palatable to prospective converts.

My recollection is that Jewish people tend to believe that "loopholes" in the law were intentionally placed there by God to serve as a reward for those clever enough to use their God-given faculties to study and recognize them. This attitude is completely contrary to the Christian view (heavily expounded upon by Christ Himself) which emphasizes the "spirit of the law" thereby putting the principle before the text; this means Christians engaging in this behavior is far less internally defensible than for Jewish people.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies