Canada Federal Representation 2024 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:41:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada Federal Representation 2024 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Canada Federal Representation 2024  (Read 50200 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« on: October 20, 2021, 04:38:15 AM »

Canada's tolerance for malapportionment is honestly shocking.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2021, 10:16:23 AM »

Isn't it to an extent inevitable, due to its very lopsided nature population wise?

It would be a one thing if it was based on something like the Norwegian rule, where part of the apportionment formula was based on land area to artificially boost rural provinces (I'd still oppose that, of course, but at least I could see the logic) but instead it's this byzantine formula cobbled together haphazardly that leads to inequality even between similar provinces like Manitoba and Saskatchewan, as previously mentioned.

Very rich coming from someone from France of all places... Tongue

At least French malapportionment up to 2007 was a product of sheer inertia - we just kept using the same map over and over from the 80s (and it has since been fixed with a new map based on 2010s figures). You people keep drawing new maps every few years that just make the malapportionment worse or keep it the same.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2021, 05:25:53 PM »

At least we don't have a district the size of Saint Pierre and Miquelon (pop. 6000, 5 times smaller than Nunavut).

Wait, that's your beef with French apportionment, that we let Saint-Pierre-et-Miquelon be represented in parliament? Huh What do you want to do with it exactly, disenfranchise them completely? Or put it in the same district as some other island at the other end of the world? Obviously that would be neither fair nor rational. This isn't malapportionment, it's the inevitable result of having a small, remote community that needs to be represented.

Look, you seem really desperate to prove some kind of point here and I don't get why. It's not a national pissing context. It's pretty obvious that the way Canada apportions its seats is seriously f**ked up and should be fixed, for the sake of Canadians themselves. It's not some huge assault on your country's honor or something.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2021, 01:13:41 PM »

I support the increasing the size of the HoC as much as possible since it's good for COI representation and reduces malapportionment (honestly, what's stopping it from going to 500 or so? one MP per 50k people or so would be awesome), but honestly, this is just Quebec throwing a hissy fit because that's what Quebec does best.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2022, 10:20:42 AM »

Census population results were released this morning, so now we can start guessing about riding changes.

And with that comes fun!

Oh, is that a Canadian version of DRA?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2022, 10:41:34 AM »

Census population results were released this morning, so now we can start guessing about riding changes.

And with that comes fun!

Yes. Developer posts on Atlas occasionally.

Oh, excellent! I look forward to playing around with that.

By any chance, do you know if they have a version with 2011 census data as well? It would be greatly helpful for a project I have.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2022, 11:11:59 AM »

And with that comes fun!

Yes. Developer posts on Atlas occasionally.

Oh, excellent! I look forward to playing around with that.

By any chance, do you know if they have a version with 2011 census data as well? It would be greatly helpful for a project I have.

Hasn't been released yet. We'll have to see. What's the project?

An alternate history that involves different political divisions in North America. It'd be useful to be able to draw districts of the same size and on the same basis on both sides of the RL border.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2022, 06:14:47 AM »

So, do we know what the seats breakdown by Province would be, barring any changes to the formula?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2022, 09:33:30 AM »

So, do we know what the seats breakdown by Province would be, barring any changes to the formula?

My understanding is that the calculation of the of number of seats each province gets is based on July 2021 population estimates, while boundaries of the the districts is based on the 2021 census. The total seats by province (barring formula changes) remains the same ones that the Chief Electoral Officer published in October.

I.e.
BC and Ontario (+1 each)
Alberta (+3)
Quebec (-1)
Everyone else (nc)

That's. Uh. Very bizarre. Why the hell would you base your apportionment on estimates when you have fresh census data? Huh
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2022, 09:37:12 AM »

Sorry to be the annoying nagging guy, but is there any chance Ridingbuilder can add population data from previous censuses? That would be really helpful to me.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies