Canada Federal Representation 2024
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 27, 2022, 09:51:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada Federal Representation 2024
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23]
Author Topic: Canada Federal Representation 2024  (Read 21330 times)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #550 on: September 23, 2022, 08:58:00 AM »

Georgina-King makes about as much sense as the current Carleton district or Flamborough-Glanbrook. In that there is a COI holding them together, but they are ugly-a*s districts.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #551 on: September 23, 2022, 01:46:29 PM »

Thoughts on this London area map?

Krago
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #552 on: September 23, 2022, 03:10:05 PM »

Zorra Township is split in two parts, not three. A marked improvement.

Where does the purple riding go to off the north end of the map?  Nowhere good, I’m betting.
Krago
« Reply #553 on: September 23, 2022, 03:52:16 PM »
« Edited: September 23, 2022, 09:13:10 PM by Krago »

Has anyone filled out the Public Hearing Participation Form on the Ontario Commission website?

If so, did you ever receive a confirmation email from the Commission?

My answers are Yes and No.

I’m supposed to be presenting to the Commission on Monday evening and I still haven’t received a link.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #554 on: September 25, 2022, 10:59:34 AM »

Zorra Township is split in two parts, not three. A marked improvement.

Where does the purple riding go to off the north end of the map?  Nowhere good, I’m betting.

It's the same as the commission's, I just didn't bother to flesh it out.

Has anyone filled out the Public Hearing Participation Form on the Ontario Commission website?

I’m supposed to be presenting to the Commission on Monday evening and I still haven’t received a link.

Yes and yes. Speaking of which, what is the best way of doing the presentation? PowerPoint? Is there a time limit?
Krago
« Reply #555 on: September 25, 2022, 11:13:17 PM »

Yes and yes. Speaking of which, what is the best way of doing the presentation? PowerPoint? Is there a time limit?

Due to the limited number of in-person hearings in Southern Ontario -only three outside the GTA - the virtual hearings are packed.  That's why they are pushing hard for written submissions.  Since I want to do a full Ontario-wide proposal, they've asked me to present on October 29.  (Just before they turn off the lights.)

My suggestion is to put together a five-minute PowerPoint presentation.  You might not get much more time than that.
Philly D.
Rookie
Canada

« Reply #556 on: September 26, 2022, 01:13:27 AM »
« Edited: September 26, 2022, 01:28:43 AM by Philly D. »

My suggestion is to put together a five-minute PowerPoint presentation.  You might not get much more time than that.

You will need your own projector and be prepared to project on the ceiling.

At the Québec hearings there was time for a 15-minute presentation, with a few minutes left for questions from the Commissioners. Granted the Québec hearings are not specially packed, but still...

Maybe I should tell you about how the Québec hearings are going.

We all know that the status quo is wanted in the east in the province. In particular, mayors from Lac-Saint-Jean want that riding to stay exactly as is. If it happens, the will probably have to push Chicoutimi into Charlevoix. Richard Martel (who was absent to be at the Queen's memorial service in Otttawa -- the Québec Commission held the hearing there on a federal holiday!!!) sent a message defending the proposal which shocked pretty much everyone.

But I was in Montréal. There there are two major issues -- Hochelaga pushing into Sainte-Marie (which my proposal avoids), and especially Shaughnessy Village and the Golden Square Mile being cut from Ville-Marie (which my proposal does not completely avoid.) There the problem becomes: where do you put Ile-des-Soeurs? The answer is either with the Old Port or with Verdun, the latter resulting a very large riding and/or Ville-Saint-Pierre being lumped in with Notre-Dame-de-Grâce where it is out of place. The facial expressions of the Commissioners on Tuesday, I was told, suggest the official proposal there is unlikely to hold.

The first presenter on Tuesday the 13th was Yves-François Blanchet, presenting an (unavailable) report given the BQ view. It insists on giving a strong voice to the régions -- not the administrative ones, mind you, but rather the outflung ones. YFB affirmed that there is something essential in them that reflects the essence of Québec, which some in the audience found disgusting and done for political purposes. When asked by a Commissioner what would be an acceptable lower variance in the area, he had no answer, but simply mentioned that provincially the Iles-de-la-Madeleine form a district...

The second presenter was the mayor of L'Assomption who objected to his municipality being split. He lamented the lack of federal presence in Lanaudière and also mentioned the presence of a community of interest between Matawinie and Montcalm MRCs (hint, hint). He also pointed out a total lack of COI between L'Assomption and Joliette, so any rapprochement between Matawinie and and Montcalm requires looking at my proposal.

The third presenter was Environment Minister Guilebault's attaché who talked about Sainte-Marie and spoke very quickly.

The last two people -- including a city councillor for the Sud-Ouest -- continued with the Shaughnessy Village/Golden Square Mile conundrum. Apparently the latter should not be with Westmount at all either! The city councillor suggested a riding made up Sud-Ouest borough and the Peter-McGill district, but a quick check with electionbuilder gives 125k in pop. A Commissioner who used to live on Ile-des-Soeurs pointed out that it had traditionally always been oriented downtown.

And then there was me in the fourth slot... and after a nuit blanche in anticipation and no notes to fall back on, I was left feeling having given an underwhelming presentation (I was told it was fine, though...).
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #557 on: September 26, 2022, 08:45:01 AM »

Due to the limited number of in-person hearings in Southern Ontario -only three outside the GTA - the virtual hearings are packed.  That's why they are pushing hard for written submissions.  Since I want to do a full Ontario-wide proposal, they've asked me to present on October 29.  (Just before they turn off the lights.)

My suggestion is to put together a five-minute PowerPoint presentation.  You might not get much more time than that.

Thanks!

Fearing that I would be time constrained, I submitted a 7 page list of riding name suggestions for the entire province. I doubt I could get through that in 5 minutes Wink
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #558 on: September 26, 2022, 08:51:23 AM »

My suggestion is to put together a five-minute PowerPoint presentation.  You might not get much more time than that.

You will need your own projector and be prepared to project on the ceiling.

Umm, I do not own a projector. I might be able to borrow one from work, but that might be a tricky ask.

I wonder if I can just do an old fashion elementary school like presentation on bristol board?
Krago
« Reply #559 on: September 26, 2022, 03:07:10 PM »

Fearing that I would be time constrained, I submitted a 7 page list of riding name suggestions for the entire province. I doubt I could get through that in 5 minutes Wink

How many Lakeshores?  Scarborough-Werenich?  Simcoe-Howard?  Niagara-Bodogh?  Ottawa-Hatman?

We want to see names!
Krago
« Reply #560 on: September 26, 2022, 07:49:59 PM »

From the Ontario Commission website:

Participants and observers to virtual public hearings must use the following link to connect to the Zoom meetings: https://duoson.zoom.us/j/87446777275
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #561 on: Today at 08:55:12 AM »

How many Lakeshores?  Scarborough-Werenich?  Simcoe-Howard?  Niagara-Bodogh?  Ottawa-Hatman?

We want to see names!

That would be Ottawa-Homan Wink
Krago
« Reply #562 on: Today at 01:29:22 PM »

We want to see names!

That would be Ottawa-Homan Wink

Rachel Homan is the Sexiest Canadian.

The Least Sexiest Canadian?  Rex Murphy
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies