Data for progress-VA- Tmac +5
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:11:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections
  2023 & Odd Year Gubernatorial Election Polls (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Data for progress-VA- Tmac +5
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Data for progress-VA- Tmac +5  (Read 758 times)
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 22, 2021, 03:44:35 PM »
« edited: October 22, 2021, 03:50:05 PM by Matty »

Poll is at least somewhat old though. It was conducted oct2-oct15

Very reasonable topline

https://www.dataforprogress.org/blog/2021/10/22/mcauliffe-slated-to-win-in-virginia

Wasn’t DfP a very accurate 2020 pollster?
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2021, 04:00:42 PM »

I know the overestimated downballot Dems just about everywhere.  Not sure about Biden himself?
kwabbit

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2021, 04:01:58 PM »

Very reasonable topline

https://www.dataforprogress.org/blog/2021/10/22/mcauliffe-slated-to-win-in-virginia

Looking back at their final polls, they seem to have overestimated Biden by about 4-5 points in most swing states which was about as bad as most pollsters were.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2021, 04:10:11 PM »

Yup, if this is the best D4P can do, then this race is likely over. Lean R at this point.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2021, 04:27:42 PM »

Very reasonable topline

Looking back at their final polls, they seem to have overestimated Biden by about 4-5 points in most swing states which was about as bad as most pollsters were.

And midterms?
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2021, 04:28:44 PM »

They only had newsom +14 last month
kwabbit

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2021, 04:47:03 PM »

Very reasonable topline

And midterms?

My recollection is that they first polled in 2018 with a limited but successful record. They were also successful in the 2020 Dem primaries, before having their unsuccessful 2020 general election.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2021, 04:47:44 PM »

Very reasonable topline

And midterms?

In VA they only overestimated Biden’s margin by a point.  
Hollywood
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2021, 09:31:52 PM »

Very reasonable topline

And midterms?

In VA they only overestimated Biden’s margin by a point.  

They got lucky.  It was one of the very few states where their overestimation of Democrats paid off.  They got other southern states wrong by 6-8 percent.  In fact, they put out an earlier poll with Biden up 30 points in Virginia.  Total nonsense. 

Data for Progress is on the list top 10 worst pollster.  No Republican pollster can compete with their partisan bias, because 538 has them in the top 5 with 4 other D pollsters ahead of them. 
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2021, 09:36:09 PM »

Very reasonable topline

And midterms?

My recollection is that they first polled in 2018 with a limited but successful record. They were also successful in the 2020 Dem primaries, before having their unsuccessful 2020 general election.

Sounds about right from my recollection.

Personally IMHO most pollsters performed pretty crappy in the 2020 GE so I don't give tons of street cred to any of these, let alone in an off-year and odd-year GOV election in VA.

Hollywood
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2021, 11:43:52 PM »

Very reasonable topline

And midterms?

Personally IMHO most pollsters performed pretty crappy in the 2020 GE so I don't give tons of street cred to any of these, let alone in an off-year and odd-year GOV election in VA.

The odd years can be boiled down to enthusiasm, motivation and certainty of vote. The polls that include this measurement are best.  In 2017, Northam voters were more interested (52%) and certain to vote (53%) while Republicans were not as motivated (Mid-40s).  Trumps disapproval was around 52-53% at the time. The final result was 53.9% to 45%.  Emerson, Monmouth and Trafalgar have written on the issue in recent polls.  The certainty that voters will come out for your candidate will better indicate how voters are reacting to a variety of issues like candidate policies and approval ratings.  Trump had a 53% disapproval rating in Virginia when Republicans lost in 2017, and most voters in New Jersey were motivated to remove Corzine (48.5-44-5) from New Jersey in 2009 cause  56% of them wanted to lower property taxes and end corruption. 

I've never had an issue guessing races with dozens of polls providing the above information.  You just need look inside Emerson, Monmouth, Q, Marist, Mason and Trafalgar. 
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2021, 08:14:19 AM »

Very reasonable topline

And midterms?

The odd years can be boiled down to enthusiasm, motivation and certainty of vote. The polls that include this measurement are best.  In 2017, Northam voters were more interested (52%) and certain to vote (53%) while Republicans were not as motivated (Mid-40s).  Trumps disapproval was around 52-53% at the time. The final result was 53.9% to 45%.  Emerson, Monmouth and Trafalgar have written on the issue in recent polls.  The certainty that voters will come out for your candidate will better indicate how voters are reacting to a variety of issues like candidate policies and approval ratings.  Trump had a 53% disapproval rating in Virginia when Republicans lost in 2017, and most voters in New Jersey were motivated to remove Corzine (48.5-44-5) from New Jersey in 2009 cause  56% of them wanted to lower property taxes and end corruption. 

I've never had an issue guessing races with dozens of polls providing the above information.  You just need look inside Emerson, Monmouth, Q, Marist, Mason and Trafalgar. 

No it was not. It was 57% in VA, according to exit polls, and pretty close to that nationally as well.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2021, 08:21:15 AM »

Meanwhile, honestly, this is a realistic topline IMO. Also Youngkin winning Indies by +3, which seems reasonable given Gillepsie won them by 3 in 2017.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2021, 06:42:15 PM »

It may be a slightly old poll, but Data for Progress was very accurate with the presidential race in 2020-only underestimating Trump's support by 1%.

With how polling has been looking on this race, I think I'll take it. If McAuliffe wins by 5 or so, it'll be fairly typical and similar to how past Democrats won statewide like Clinton, Kaine, Obama, and Warner. Hell, it may even look more impressive amidst the horse-race narrative that the media is projecting on this race, justifiably or not.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies