Is Latinx gonna be permanent?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:32:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Is Latinx gonna be permanent?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is Latinx gonna be permanent?  (Read 424 times)
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 11, 2021, 04:29:09 PM »

This is a term that is considered offensive by the vast majority of Latinos and Latinas, and the only people who seem to use it are excessively woke Millennials and extremely out of touch Gen Xers trying to be PC, which is a rather small percentage of the population. Why do Democrat politicians still insist on saying Latinx even though almost everyone hates it? Is this just a permanent thing now?
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2021, 04:54:35 PM »

Likely yes, or else something even more annoying will replace it.

Barring some unforeseen radical shift in the social consciousness, I don't see the woke stuff ever going away. The major institutions in this country are now firmly behind it.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2021, 05:35:01 PM »

I'm sure some people will still keep using it in certain circles, but I don't see it catching on with the general populace as a whole.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2021, 06:33:31 PM »

I live in the most Latino non-urban county east of the Mississippi and I have never heard it uttered once. It ain't gonna stick.
FT-02 Senator A.F.E. 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2021, 08:18:07 PM »

Yes, simply because BRTD is against it.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2021, 06:48:27 PM »

No, there was actually a piece written on this: https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/12/why-latinx-cant-catch-on/603943

There's already a significant pushback against it (just find any tweet where a bluecheck uses it), it has zero appeal to anyone even remotely right of center and the same people it refers to overwhelmingly reject it. Eventually it'll just run out of gas, like those second-wave feminist attempts at respelling.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2021, 06:51:26 PM »

I cheer on the downfall of the LA-times invented "Latino" (which itself isn't used much east of the Mississippi) anyway.
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2021, 07:10:58 PM »

No, there was actually a piece written on this: https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/12/why-latinx-cant-catch-on/603943

There's already a significant pushback against it (just find any tweet where a bluecheck uses it), it has zero appeal to anyone even remotely right of center and the same people it refers to overwhelmingly reject it. Eventually it'll just run out of gas, like those second-wave feminist attempts at respelling.
What I don’t get is why are Democrat politicians so f**king out of the loop about how unpopular this term is.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2021, 07:21:34 PM »

What I don’t get is why are Democrat politicians so f**king out of the loop about how unpopular this term is.
Yeah I don't get it either. Especially when you have people like Ruben Gallego flat out asking them not to say it. My guess is that they don't pay close enough attention to the backlash on social media and are saying it because woke interns are inserting it into their speeches and social media postings.

Eventually though the backlash will be too heavy to not take note of. Best example: a couple years ago wokesters were promoting "womxn" as this new supposedly more inclusive way to spell "women", some local chapters at the beginning of the Trump Presidency protests called it the "Womxn's March", etc. And then a lot of people hated it, including the people it was supposedly more inclusive of (because of course the notion that a different term is needed to refer to trans women and women of color is already really icky, and the absurd notion that trans women and women of color don't already fall under "women" to begin with) and then Twitch used it in a tweet announcing their Women's Month promotions...and it was a brutal response resulting in them deleting it: https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-56251452

The other big incident I noticed was when Amnesty International used it in a press release and online flier about violence against black women in South Africa, which was totally a bad look considering that they used "women" in other similar releases that same time referring to women in countries outside of Africa (It was obviously because those were all written by different people but still, any implication that black women need a different term to refer to them is totally not a good look) and it was so bad that they actually pulled the tweet and press release and reuploaded the PDF with "womxn" replaced with "women" and a couple other institutions have vowed to never use that spelling ever again after similar backlash. It just took a couple years to simmer enough.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2021, 08:57:09 PM »

No, because it's not really a thing now.
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2021, 12:31:13 PM »

Yeah I don't get it either. Especially when you have people like Ruben Gallego flat out asking them not to say it. My guess is that they don't pay close enough attention to the backlash on social media and are saying it because woke interns are inserting it into their speeches and social media postings.

Eventually though the backlash will be too heavy to not take note of. Best example: a couple years ago wokesters were promoting "womxn" as this new supposedly more inclusive way to spell "women", some local chapters at the beginning of the Trump Presidency protests called it the "Womxn's March", etc. And then a lot of people hated it, including the people it was supposedly more inclusive of (because of course the notion that a different term is needed to refer to trans women and women of color is already really icky, and the absurd notion that trans women and women of color don't already fall under "women" to begin with) and then Twitch used it in a tweet announcing their Women's Month promotions...and it was a brutal response resulting in them deleting it: https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-56251452

The other big incident I noticed was when Amnesty International used it in a press release and online flier about violence against black women in South Africa, which was totally a bad look considering that they used "women" in other similar releases that same time referring to women in countries outside of Africa (It was obviously because those were all written by different people but still, any implication that black women need a different term to refer to them is totally not a good look) and it was so bad that they actually pulled the tweet and press release and reuploaded the PDF with "womxn" replaced with "women" and a couple other institutions have vowed to never use that spelling ever again after similar backlash. It just took a couple years to simmer enough.
I hope that they get the memo soon, because our advantage in the Latino community is gonna drop like a rock in 2022/24 if these out of touch Democrat politicians keep up with this Latinx nonsense
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2021, 04:53:22 PM »

Yes. The institutions of this country are behind it, and don't care what actual Latinos think of the word
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies