New WV-01: Maps pairs McKinley and Mooney against each other
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:24:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  New WV-01: Maps pairs McKinley and Mooney against each other
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: New WV-01: Maps pairs McKinley and Mooney against each other  (Read 478 times)
WV222
masterofawesome

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -6.26

P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 14, 2021, 12:00:44 PM »

Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2021, 03:42:15 PM »

Hopefully, McKinley wins, and I think he will, since this new WV01 is basically his old district plus the northern half of Mooney's, so McKinley's much better known and the new distict is honestly just a larger version of the old WV01.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2021, 07:25:29 PM »

https://www.wvlegislature.gov/legisdocs/redistricting/senate/Trump_08_09-28.pdf

Boy, look at that display of blatant gerrymandering! Man, those Republicans will do anything to take back control of the House! Obviously those West Virginia Republicans have no intention of giving the Democratic Party a fair chance to win at least one seat in the U.S. House from the state! That gerrymandered map proves how cynical, manipulative, and anti-democratic those Rethuglicans are! Every single state in which the Reptilicans can gerrymander a map, they do! Just wait until you see what they do to the congressional district map of Wyoming!

(The above was a display of sardonic humor, in case you didn't get it.)
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2021, 07:30:39 PM »

Boy, look at that display of blatant gerrymandering! Man, those Republicans will do anything to take back control of the House! Obviously those West Virginia Republicans have no intention of giving the Democratic Party a fair chance to win at least one seat in the U.S. House from the state! That gerrymandered map proves how cynical, manipulative, and anti-democratic those Rethuglicans are! Every single state in which the Reptilicans can gerrymander a map, they do! Just wait until you see what they do to the congressional district map of Wyoming!

That's a strawman, honestly. I disagree that MT should have one competitive seat but I don't think any Democrats at all are arguing for WV to have even one remotely competitive seat. I think it's actually impossible to come up with a less than, say, Trump+20 seat, since I don't think WV allows county splitting. Also, don't minimise actual gerrymandering. For that, you should see the states of NC (both before the maps were finally cleaned up and after redistricting), TX, GA, IL, NY and OH. Gerrymandering is an egregious practice that hinders democracy. If you notice for the WV maps no Democrats really put up a fight since this is a fair map and it's absolutely impossible to come up with even a competitive seat. An actually competitive seat will definitely be impossible (like, a 1,000% chance) since I'm pretty sure county splits are disallowed and every WV county went for the GOP, all but a very small amount by double-digits.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2021, 10:51:19 PM »

Obvious strawman. I've seen more complaints about Massachusetts's all-dem delegation than West Virginia's all-rep one on here even though both are essentially equally inevitable.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies