Most Stunning Senate Result in every election since 1980 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:20:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Most Stunning Senate Result in every election since 1980 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Most Stunning Senate Result in every election since 1980  (Read 2137 times)
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« on: October 19, 2021, 12:27:19 AM »

1980: Matt Mattingly defeating Herman Talmadge in Georgia
1982: Jerry Brown losing by nearly 7 points in California
1984: Mitch McConnell winning in Kentucky
1986: Slade Gorton losing in Washington
1988: The Democrat coming so close in Wyoming
1990: Paul Wellstone winning in Minnesota
1992: Fritz Hollings nearly losing in South Carolina
1994: Fred Thompson winning Tenneesse in a landslide
1996: Tim Hutchinson winning in Arkansas
1998: John Edwards winning in North Carolina
2000: John Ashcroft losing to a Dead candidate
2002: Tim Hutchinson losing in Arkansas
2004: Jim Bunning nearly losing in Kentucky
2006: Really nothing but id say Jim Webb winning in Virginia
2008: Elizabeth Dole losing by 8 points in North Carolina
2010: Scott Brown winning the senate race in Massachusetts(Dems losing in Illions was actually expected)
2012: Heidi Heitkamp winning in North Dakota
2014: Mark Warner nearly losing in Virginia
2016: Jason Kander nearly winning  in Missouri
2018: Doug Jones winning the Alabama Special(Yes its 2017 but nothing else was a surprise really)
2020: Susan Collins winning so easily in Maine

I'll go back in time:

2020:

Yes I really thought ME was going to vote for Grandpa Joe (it did) but also those same voters would not vote for Susan Collins again.

Also Thom Tillis...eww... Please.  If Trump wins in 2024, that's the first flip I call in '26.  That this dude has served two terms is a joke.  Cal Cunningham couldn't keep it in his pants, what was the thing there that might have did him in?  I guess NC staying red did him in too.

2018:

I think what surprised me the most was that Bill Nelson lost it so badly, FL is a very close state and I just don't get Rick Scott's appeal at all (can someone explain what's so sexy about this man that FL voters have since 2010 been showering him with love?).  Nelson's campaign was bad I know that but dang the guy had NASA cred, like Mark Kelly... maybe the astronauts that voted him in have all died?

Also Debbie Stabenow did terribly.  MI had voted so far to the left in '08 and she's always been considered a solid re-elect, so what happened?  It wasn't even a red year!

2016:

CA: I just wonder if Loretta (who was considered in the 90s a big star and giant killer for toppling Bob Dornan in Orange County) had been a stronger candidate and beaten Kamala, which could have been done, who would be the VP now?

NH: Maggie barely won in '16, and that's not a good sign for '22 if the Gov runs.  I noticed that NH likes to elect Guvs senator after they're done with Guv (trivia: how many NH Governors have gone on later to serve in the Senate?).

WI: I get that Trump won and that really helped Ron keep his seat, and also Senators that lose rarely win again six years later in rematches, but Ron Johnson might as well be representing Brooks Brothers in the Senate, he really is from the Scott Walker "pro-business", anti-worker "starve the beast"/"defund the left" line of politicians.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies