Which discredited atheist edgelord talking point is dumber?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:17:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Which discredited atheist edgelord talking point is dumber?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Which discredited atheist edgelord talking point is dumber?
That Jesus is a plagiarism of Horus

That Hitler was primarily motivated by Christianity

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 55

Author Topic: Which discredited atheist edgelord talking point is dumber?  (Read 2321 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2021, 01:54:18 PM »

Mormonism did rip off the King James Bible though.

> Implying scriptures rip-off things
> Implying we do not use the King James Bible
It's still possible to use the KJV and yet still rip it off in the Book of Mormon which is not included in the KJV:

If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2021, 05:24:45 PM »

I always found the "Mary is actually Isis" talking point funnier than "Jesus is actually Horus", as someone who actually worships Isis. "Sorry Christoids, but the Egyptians have a monopoly on the veneration of maternal figures, and to do it yourselves is literally stealing and you should give it back!"

I always had an inkling of a suspicion that noting common tropes in religions across the world was a point in religion's favor, not against it.

As Nathan notes, this simply isn't salient to Extremely Online Zoomers who know of little else but this country's draconian IP laws, or people raised on Chick tracts who take The Two Babylons at face value. I agree, though, in the same sense that deep observation of cave art makes me far more emotional than it ought (to the extent that I'm due to get a little aurochs-shaman-guy from the Cave of the Trois-Frères ink-needled into me next month): that it's all fundamentally an expression of the human passion and our attempts to understand the world that have existed for as long as we have.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2021, 07:21:21 PM »

I always found the "Mary is actually Isis" talking point funnier than "Jesus is actually Horus", as someone who actually worships Isis. "Sorry Christoids, but the Egyptians have a monopoly on the veneration of maternal figures, and to do it yourselves is literally stealing and you should give it back!"

I always had an inkling of a suspicion that noting common tropes in religions across the world was a point in religion's favor, not against it.

Myth Became Fact:
“The old myth of the Dying God, without ceasing to be myth, comes down from the heaven of legend and imagination to the earth of history.  It happens—at a particular date, in a particular place, followed by definable historical consequences. We pass from a Balder or an Osiris, dying nobody knows when or where, to a historical Person crucified (it is all in order) under Pontius Pilate.  By becoming fact it does not cease to be myth: that is the miracle. …God is more than a god, not less: Christ is more than Balder, not less. We must not be ashamed of the mythical radiance resting on our theology. We must not be nervous about ‘parallels’ and ‘Pagan Christs’: they ought to be there—it would be a stumbling block if they weren’t.”

That is, for the record, among the most important essays in 20th century theology, alongside the writings of Bonhoeffer and Weil.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2021, 10:10:52 PM »

I doubt most people know of Horus while everyone knows who Hitler is.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2021, 07:51:19 AM »

Mormonism did rip off the King James Bible though.

> Implying scriptures rip-off things
> Implying we do not use the King James Bible
It does plagiarize the KJ Bible over and over again though.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2022, 09:48:21 PM »

As a Jewish person whenever I hear Hitler compared to anything/anyone except for Stalin/Mao/Pol Pot I roll my eyes at how absurd it is.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies