Which discredited atheist edgelord talking point is dumber?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 27, 2021, 08:44:23 PM

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderators: Gustaf, TJ in Oregon)
  Which discredited atheist edgelord talking point is dumber?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which discredited atheist edgelord talking point is dumber?
That Jesus is a plagiarism of Horus

That Hitler was primarily motivated by Christianity

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 22

Author Topic: Which discredited atheist edgelord talking point is dumber?  (Read 335 times)
super easy, barely an inconvenience
BRTD
Atlas Institution
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 13, 2021, 12:36:08 PM »

These two talking points are so f[inks]ing absurd it blows my mind that anyone still uses them. It's possible to criticize Christianity after all without scraping the bottom of the barrell with this nonsense.
The Honorable Justice Dule
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2021, 05:13:52 PM »

Seeking Isian Mystery Initiation
discovolante
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -6.96

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2021, 07:08:55 PM »

I always found the "Mary is actually Isis" talking point funnier than "Jesus is actually Horus", as someone who actually worships Isis. "Sorry Christoids, but the Egyptians have a monopoly on the veneration of maternal figures, and to do it yourselves is literally stealing and you should give it back!"
Butlerian Jihad
Nathan
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2021, 11:37:24 PM »

I always found the "Mary is actually Isis" talking point funnier than "Jesus is actually Horus", as someone who actually worships Isis. "Sorry Christoids, but the Egyptians have a monopoly on the veneration of maternal figures, and to do it yourselves is literally stealing and you should give it back!"

Yeah, the idea that Christianity is "stealing" anything from other religions, as if religious beliefs are IP in the modern sense and all Zsuzsanna Budapest needs to do is hire Bent Pixels to copryight-strike every YouTube video of "Ave Maria", has got to take the cake here--as, of course, does the analogous lazy non-criticism of the other big proselytizing religions.
Big Abraham
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2021, 11:10:49 AM »

I mean, the Cult of Isis was part of the state religion in the imperial days in Rome.
discovolante
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2021, 11:28:24 AM »

I mean, the Cult of Isis was part of the state religion in the imperial days in Rome.

These people curiously never have a bone to pick about that when it's done by faiths for which they don't already have an irrational animus. It would be awfully funny to hear squabbles between different pagan sects over who "stole" Inanna-Ishtar-Astarte and ought to leave her be, though.
Samof94
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2021, 05:56:34 AM »

Mormonism did rip off the King James Bible though.
Butlerian Jihad
Nathan
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2021, 10:11:42 PM »

No it did not. Religious canons are not "intellectual property" and religious founders, even sketchy and dishonest ones like Joseph Smith, are not Ye Olde Napster.
discovolante
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2021, 11:41:56 AM »

No it did not. Religious canons are not "intellectual property" and religious founders, even sketchy and dishonest ones like Joseph Smith, are not Ye Olde Napster.

It seems too often that a lot of the folks who accuse the Abrahamic faiths of STEALING from antecedent faiths (that surely never included any syncretic elements themselves, right?) also just don't know what they're talking about when it comes to either. In a vague discussion on religious matters in a Discord server I'm in last week, which I tend to keep a close eye on as one of the very few people there who actually practices any religion, a user who generally does very little but post about extraordinarily esoteric contemporary leftist theory pulled out the old chestnut about St. Brigid of Kildare being STOLEN, calling the pagan Brigid "the queen Celtic goddess [sic]" as though there were ever one unified Celtic mythology, let alone one where Brigid held that specific role. I declined to comment, naturally.

I think Wicca deserves a fair bit of blame here with its core principle of all historical gods and goddesses being emanations of one of each; this isn't inherently dangerous if handled with the proper sensitivity, but the Wiccan MO has always been to act like all of the historical antecedents had the same central characteristics as the Horned God and Triple Goddess, rather than assembling a composite understanding of those deities from the various aspects of ancient figures. This, of course, is central to that faith's attempts to make it seem more ancient than it actually is, lest it be perceived as STEALING anything or fundamentally representing its origins as the semen-stained woodland fantasies of a fundamentally conservative old man. I'm one to talk, given that my own interpretation of a unified divinity is heavily syncretic and drawn on several specific predecessors, but I try to acknowledge their unique identities as emanations of the whole.
ingemann

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2021, 04:35:25 AM »

While both are incredible stupid, the Horus one wins.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2021, 12:54:44 PM »

The second point is more toxic and damaging as it feeds into a broader atheist narrative that religion is the source of the world's ills, but the first one is dumber in the sense of being a sheer cognitive misfire on the part of whoever believes it.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies