Do you wish there were more original movies made now?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:10:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Do you wish there were more original movies made now?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you wish there were more original movies made now?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 28

Author Topic: Do you wish there were more original movies made now?  (Read 811 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 16, 2021, 12:43:40 AM »

Defining original as:

-Not a sequel.
-Not a remake.
-Not an adaptation of a book or TV show.
-Not part of any existing franchise.

Because seriously, it seems like the majority of movies today don't fall into this category.

But anyway yes, absolutely. And frankly I think the death of video rental stores is a big factor in this and part of why I miss them, in the past even if a movie didn't do too well at the box office it could still be a hit on the rental circuit and then turn a profit (this is basically what happened with The Shawshank Redemption* for example), now if a movie bombs at the box office it's basically out of luck entirely because streaming services won't pay much to take it, so studios only stick to proven draws. It really sucks.

*Yes I am aware that this is technically an adaptation of a novella and thus would not not meet the criteria outlined.
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2021, 01:03:05 AM »

Yes. I do not understand how those stupid Marvel movies kept making so much money. But, to be fair, I also willingly saw all Harry Potter and Jurassic World installments in theaters, so I'm part of the problem.

Also, I would not consider a book adaptation to be "unoriginal," there's a great tradition of books providing great source material for movies and musicals. As you alluded to, it would be hard to exclude them. Look at the AFI list of the best American movies ever. Removing the ones based on books (or plays) would leave a huge hole.

-The Godfather
-Gone with the Wind
-Casablanca
-Lawrence of Arabia
-The Wizard of Oz
-The Graduate
-Schindler's List
-It's a Wonderful Life
-The Bridge on the River Kwai
-All About Eve
-The African Queen
-Psycho
-One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

And that's just from the first 20 movies!
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix
E: -8.50, S: -5.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2021, 03:28:09 AM »

By original movies, do you mean Disney Channel™ Original Movies™™™™™? Pump me up with more of that Horse Sense and Luck of the Irish until I die of low budget storyboard poisoning
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2021, 06:47:47 PM »

People always say this, but original movies are still made. They just aren't the big, commercial box office successes they sued to be, especially with the proliferation of streaming services which keep producing their own content. These movies are out there, but you may have to search more for them.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2021, 10:40:07 PM »

People always say this, but original movies are still made. They just aren't the big, commercial box office successes they sued to be, especially with the proliferation of streaming services which keep producing their own content. These movies are out there, but you may have to search more for them.

Yeah, this is obviously the correct take.  The absolute *number* of original movies made annually now easily eclipses that of 40 or 50 years ago several times over.  Big studios have gotten less willing to take on projects with untested revenue potential, but there's more than just the big studios nowadays.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2021, 01:06:27 AM »

We had to go back and make sequals we had MCU and Justice League but since Batman 1989 we didn't have the technology to make the Marvel Movies

Now we do and MSU and Justice League are gonna keep expanding

But, Carnage was also an enemy of Spiderman not just Venom why they won't put Spiderman with Carnage, I do r know and Mine Myers replaced Jason on Friday the 13th and Wolverine with 3 claws replace Kruger with 4 claws but we know they were fake, they were gloves with blades and you can't just die with one stab wound especially as a teen you have to be stabbed many to eat or you get hospitalized, many people have recovered from stab wound even to abdomen
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2021, 01:12:45 AM »

By original movies, do you mean Disney Channel™ Original Movies™™™™™? Pump me up with more of that Horse Sense and Luck of the Irish until I die of low budget storyboard poisoning

CAMP ROCK

clapclapclapclapclap

CAMP ROCK

clapclapclapclapclap

CAMP ROCK
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2021, 03:53:48 AM »

The quality of movie production in the last 4 years has increased substantially.

You just need to know where to look and actually be looking for a thought provoking experience

In Fabric
The VVitch
Hereditary
Color of Outer Space
Nitram

Just incredible film making compared to 30-40 years ago.

SE Asia, Europe, Australia are adding a lot of high quality movies into the mix.

The Hollywood Will Smith/Marvel money-making formula insults my intelligence, but if you look carefully, a lot of great films coming out of the U.S. given it's history.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2021, 07:41:55 AM »

Kruger said himself in the 90s and 2000s he was being replace by 3 claw Wolverine that's why he became non-existent

Mike Meyers replaced Jason Voorhees , just like Silence of Lamb women killed Mike Myers and Jason which is physically impossible.
So, movie remakes are here to stay

Michael Keaton is returning as Batman, but he doesn't work out, it's a Rubber suit
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2021, 10:39:39 AM »

Not that I think its a good idea, but I'm fascinated to see when the relatively recent major movie franchises are going to get remade. I tend to think Star Wars won't be done for a long, long time because they found a way to spin off a bunch of projects that will keep them busy for a while. But Lord of the Rings? Harry Potter will probably get redone within 10 years of when they wrap up the Fantastic Beasts franchise, unless maybe Rowling creates a new spinoff set in the future or distant past?

It seems so crazy and unnecessary, but it just seems bound to happen.
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2021, 11:51:43 AM »

Yes but that would require Hollywood to think.
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2021, 11:52:27 AM »

Yes. I do not understand how those stupid Marvel movies kept making so much money. But, to be fair, I also willingly saw all Harry Potter and Jurassic World installments in theaters, so I'm part of the problem.

Also, I would not consider a book adaptation to be "unoriginal," there's a great tradition of books providing great source material for movies and musicals. As you alluded to, it would be hard to exclude them. Look at the AFI list of the best American movies ever. Removing the ones based on books (or plays) would leave a huge hole.

-The Godfather
-Gone with the Wind
-Casablanca
-Lawrence of Arabia
-The Wizard of Oz
-The Graduate
-Schindler's List
-It's a Wonderful Life
-The Bridge on the River Kwai
-All About Eve
-The African Queen
-Psycho
-One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

And that's just from the first 20 movies!

Don't forget Jaws and The Exorcist!!!

and that dazzling literary classic, Valley of the Dolls!
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2021, 12:00:09 PM »

They do think. They think about profits, LOL.
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2021, 02:53:51 PM »

They do think. They think about profits, LOL.

yea lol.... i just wish they thought about more than profits sometimes, give us some refreshing new material, everything in Hollywood is $$$,  I'd love to see some new family films like we had in the 90s (Home Alone, Mrs. Doubtfire, Edward Scissorhands, My Girl, etc.)  I think once COVID is history (I pray every day this is) that we'll have a Creative Renaissance!
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2021, 06:11:22 PM »

No.
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2021, 11:38:20 PM »

Defining original as:

-Not a sequel.
-Not a remake.
-Not an adaptation of a book or TV show.
-Not part of any existing franchise.

Because seriously, it seems like the majority of movies today don't fall into this category.

But anyway yes, absolutely. And frankly I think the death of video rental stores is a big factor in this and part of why I miss them, in the past even if a movie didn't do too well at the box office it could still be a hit on the rental circuit and then turn a profit (this is basically what happened with The Shawshank Redemption* for example), now if a movie bombs at the box office it's basically out of luck entirely because streaming services won't pay much to take it, so studios only stick to proven draws. It really sucks.

*Yes I am aware that this is technically an adaptation of a novella and thus would not not meet the criteria outlined.
The problem is that you can only be so original before stuff either gets bizarre (and usually not in a good way), or derivative.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2021, 12:01:49 AM »

Some interesting statistics I collected a few years ago:

X-axis: Years since 2000
Y-axis: Percent of weeks out of the year

Blue: Weeks in which the highest-grossing movie in America was an original film
Orange: Weeks in which the highest-grossing movie in America was not an original film (sequels, prequels, remakes, reboots, adaptations, spin-offs)

I haven't kept track of the numbers since then, but I can only assume things have gotten precipitously worse.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2021, 01:07:07 AM »

Yeah, this is obviously the correct take.  The absolute *number* of original movies made annually now easily eclipses that of 40 or 50 years ago several times over.  Big studios have gotten less willing to take on projects with untested revenue potential, but there's more than just the big studios nowadays.

This is true, but being able and willing to look for things to watch beyond the obvious/"what everyone is talking about' is itself becoming much more of a niche skill than it was when we were growing up. The ease of streaming has warped a lot of younger people's understanding of how to go about developing their own tastes and seeking out material of real interest to them.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2021, 07:13:54 AM »

Movies are made from novels and books just like Kruger was made from Wes Craven new nightmare

It's comedy that females kill these strong monsters but in reality that's fake, because he emailed like on Dateline fall pray to they hubbies whom kill them like Nichole Brown Simpson when they date other men, even if their divorce or separated
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2021, 10:00:51 PM »

Yes. There is some good stuff coming from western Europe, but a lot of people don't see it.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies