Irish TD promotes anti-Semitic conspiracy theory on the floor of the Dail
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:26:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Irish TD promotes anti-Semitic conspiracy theory on the floor of the Dail
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Irish TD promotes anti-Semitic conspiracy theory on the floor of the Dail  (Read 1908 times)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 12, 2021, 10:29:31 PM »

https://www.jpost.com/diaspora/antisemitism/jewish-supremacy-conspiracy-theory-spread-on-irish-parliament-floor-681758

Israel is trying to “accomplish Jewish supremacy,” deputy chairperson of the lower house of Ireland’s parliament Catherine Connolly wrote in a parliamentary question this month.
The term “Jewish supremacy” is an accusation lobbed at Israel by its opponents, with ties to centuries-old antisemitic accusations of Jews trying to take over the world, similar to the notorious libel The Protocols of the Elders of Zion.

Connolly presented Israeli “Jewish supremacy” as a fact, asking Irish Foreign Minister Simon Coveney if by his ministry’s “indicating support for the Jewish character of the Israeli state agrees with the treatment by Israel of Palestinian communities in its attempts to accomplish Jewish supremacy.”

She also asked Coveney “his views on whether these attempts to perpetuate the supremacy of Jews over Palestinians amount to apartheid, and if he will make a statement on the matter.”
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2021, 07:04:15 AM »

People really should know better than to use such language at this point.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2021, 08:17:04 AM »

Irish Independent TDs can be "interesting", can't they?
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2021, 11:31:32 AM »

Yikes. Not a great way to calm tensions given the Sally Rooney fiasco already this week.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2021, 11:57:48 AM »

There’s nothing wrong with what she fundamentally said; although given history sure, ‘Jewish Supremacy’ maybe isn’t the right word, but then again what do we call it in every other nation on earth when a majority elevates itself above the minorities?
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2021, 12:02:28 PM »

There’s nothing wrong with what she fundamentally said; although given history sure, ‘Jewish Supremacy’ maybe isn’t the right word, but then again what do we call it in every other nation on earth when a majority elevates itself above the minorities?

"history" = the persistent claim that the Jews are an insidious force determined to dominate the world through nefarious, secretive means, which has been the basis of just about any anti-Jewish movement through history.

The second someone uses the term "Jewish supremacy", they prove themselves an ally of every anti-semitic movement in history. I see you understand that on some level, but this is also very much not the time for equivocation.
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2021, 12:06:02 PM »

"history" = the persistent claim that the Jews are an insidious force determined to dominate the world through nefarious, secretive means, which has been the basis of just about any anti-Jewish movement through history.

The second someone uses the term "Jewish supremacy", they prove themselves an ally of every anti-semitic movement in history. I see you understand that on some level, but this is also very much not the time for equivocation.

And I condemn as abhorrhent actual anti-semites and anti-semitic ideology; obviously. But I equally won't act like the abhorrent treatment of the Palestinian's and the apartheid-like state emerging in Israel today isn't happening and doesn't also deserve to be condemned simply cause the perpetrators are Jewish and might call me anti-semitic for it.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2021, 12:08:34 PM »

And I condemn as abhorrhent actual anti-semites and anti-semitic ideology; obviously. But I equally won't act like the abhorrent treatment of the Palestinian's and the apartheid-like state emerging in Israel today isn't happening and doesn't also deserve to be condemned simply cause the perpetrators are Jewish and might call me anti-semitic for it.

And I'm sure you're capable of doing that without using or justifying the repulsively anti-semitic language used by this Irish TD.
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2021, 12:24:53 PM »
« Edited: October 13, 2021, 12:31:37 PM by iBizzBee »

And I'm sure you're capable of doing that without using or justifying the repulsively anti-semitic language used by this Irish TD.

The language was unhelpful; sure, but not necessarily wrong either. There exists a state of Supremacy in Israel of one religious and cultural identity over others. That's undeniable, really, if you look at the facts on the ground.

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium-israel-s-embrace-of-jewish-supremacy-means-it-can-t-be-a-liberal-democracy-1.10000092

https://www.vox.com/world/2018/7/31/17623978/israel-jewish-nation-state-law-bill-explained-apartheid-netanyahu-democracy

And making this an argument about semantics instead of the suffering of the Palestinian people is in and of itself distasteful and very clearly the goal here. We can debate the reason's behind why Israel exist's the way it does for hours; but the fact remains, it's an inherently racist state, pretty much by design. That can't really be denied.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2021, 12:34:38 PM »

The language was unhelpful; sure, but not necessarily wrong either. There exists a state of Supremacy in Israel of one religious and cultural identity over others. That's undeniable, really, if you look at the facts on the ground.

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium-israel-s-embrace-of-jewish-supremacy-means-it-can-t-be-a-liberal-democracy-1.10000092

https://www.vox.com/world/2018/7/31/17623978/israel-jewish-nation-state-law-bill-explained-apartheid-netanyahu-democracy

And making this an argument about semantics instead of the suffering of the Palestinian people is in and of itself distasteful and very clearly the goal here. We can debate the reason's behind why Israel exist's the way it does for hours; but the fact remains, it's an inherently racist state, pretty much by design. That can't really be denied.

You're defending Nazi lingo, and now you're repeating antisemitic rhetoric about Israel being inherently racist by creation, and we're done here.
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2021, 12:37:04 PM »

You're defending Nazi lingo, and now you're repeating antisemitic rhetoric about Israel being inherently racist by creation, and we're done here.

It's unfortunate that Israel has become what it has become; but if calling it out makes me those other horrible things in your eyes, so be it my friend. Go in peace. ✌🏻
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2021, 02:32:06 PM »

Oh here we go.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2021, 04:55:07 PM »

"Israel must remain a fundamentally Jewish state."
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2021, 08:55:52 PM »

The Lobby calls basic truth telling "anti-semitism". News at 11.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2021, 10:08:22 PM »

Almost at bingo!
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2021, 04:29:13 AM »

Ireland dislikes Israel. Colour me shocked.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2021, 07:25:53 AM »

If anything defines "modern" AS (as opposed to the older cruder varieties) it is using certain things that are undeniably true (though yes, in some cases fanatical Zionists/Likudists may still attempt to deny them) to create a false all-encompassing "narrative" that is much closer to the ancient bigotries.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2021, 10:10:49 AM »

Once again I should point out that the above poster is one of this forum's most notorious antisemites.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2021, 01:55:27 PM »

The term Jewish supremacism isn't nonexistent- factually, there are Israelis (mostly religious nationalists) who are Jewish supremacists with opinions just as disgusting as David Duke's. But the way she presented it as Israel's core goal is, obviously, as antisemitic as they come- as are people here who jump at the chance to talk about the (((lobby))). Basically all modern antisemites use Israel as the new elders of zion, and Ireland has a history of antisemitic voices.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2021, 02:23:18 PM »

The term Jewish supremacism isn't nonexistent- factually, there are Israelis (mostly religious nationalists) who are Jewish supremacists with opinions just as disgusting as David Duke's. But the way she presented it as Israel's core goal is, obviously, as antisemitic as they come- as are people here who jump at the chance to talk about the (((lobby))). Basically all modern antisemites use Israel as the new elders of zion, and Ireland has a history of antisemitic voices.

It's one of those terms, to me, that has an entirely different meaning coming out of a non-Jew's mouth vs. a Jewish person's mouth. Similar to discussing Chicago crime rates with a black youth leader vs. a Republican Congressman from Iowa.
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2021, 02:43:16 PM »

"South Africa must always remain a White state." - white supremacist

"The United States must always preserve its White majority." - white supremacist

"Israel must always remain a Jewish state/preserve its Jewish majority." - noooo that's not Jewish supremacist!!!

It really is telling, innit?
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2021, 03:16:39 PM »

Bingo! I got Bingo! I win a gift certificate for Golden Corral!
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2021, 03:55:53 PM »

"South Africa must always remain a White state." - white supremacist

"The United States must always preserve its White majority." - white supremacist

"Israel must always remain a Jewish state/preserve its Jewish majority." - noooo that's not Jewish supremacist!!!

It really is telling, innit?

You're not interested in good faith debate on the issue so I'm not answering for you, but rather for other people.

The Jews are a unique cultural and religious group that existed for thousands of years. After facing the most horrible persecution and genocide that any group experienced in documented history, they've decided to seek a nation state for Jews- just like many other groups have their own nation states. Where will Jews turn to if France or the United Kingdom or Russia or the United States elect an antisemitic authoritarian leader? Can they trust other countries to accept them, after during the holocaust German Jews were turned away in many countries? No, we clearly can't trust non-Jews to protect us.

This is why Israel and zionism are necessary, and this is why (unlike criticisms of Israel's actions), denying the very existence of Israel is antisemitic. And this is why comparing the necessity to keep a Jewish majority in Israel- the only way to ensure Jews have their own country- to neo-nazism and white supremacism is deploreable and filthy.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2021, 04:31:52 PM »

Israel does operate a state with a racist preference towards one group of people, and severe discrimination towards the rest. They'll never be a true democracy until they acknowledge this and correct the wrongs.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2021, 04:33:37 PM »

Ireland dislikes Israel. Colour me shocked.

Yes, being a colony often leads to empathy for other colonized.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies