100+ people are killed during Friday prayers in Afghanistan by a suicide bomber
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:08:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  100+ people are killed during Friday prayers in Afghanistan by a suicide bomber
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 100+ people are killed during Friday prayers in Afghanistan by a suicide bomber  (Read 971 times)
FT-02 Senator A.F.E. 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 08, 2021, 08:58:16 AM »
« edited: October 16, 2021, 09:06:32 AM by Hash »

Inallah-e-raji'oon

KABUL, Oct 8 (Reuters) - A suicide bomb tore through a mosque in Afghanistan's northeastern Kunduz province on Friday, killing or wounding more than 100 people, a UN agency said.

Video footage showed bodies surrounded by debris inside the mosque that is used by people from the minority Shi'ite Muslim community.

"Initial information indicates more than 100 people killed and injured in a suicide blast inside the mosque," the United Nations' mission to Afghanistan said in a tweet.

No group immediately claimed responsibility. The blast followed several attacks, including one at a mosque in Kabul, in recent weeks, some of which have been claimed by the Sunni Muslim militants of Islamic State.

One Taliban official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said at least 28 people had been killed and dozens more wounded in Friday's blast.

The attacks have underscored security challenges for the Taliban, which took over the country in August and have since carried out operations against Islamic State cells in Kabul.

"This afternoon, an explosion took place in a mosque of our Shiite compatriots ... as a result of which a number of our compatriots were martyred and wounded," Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said on Twitter.

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/blast-hits-mosque-northeastern-afghanistan-killing-worshippers-2021-10-08/
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2021, 09:19:56 AM »

Ugh.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2021, 07:07:37 PM »

ISKP has claimed responsibility.

I have previously posted on another thread about how the ISKP would at some point likely attempt a spectacular terrorist attack against an Afghani Shiite target.

Here is a snip from the WaPo article which cites ISKP has claimed responsibility.

Islamic State claims mosque blast in Kunduz, Afghanistan, that killed nearly 50, injured dozens

KABUL — An Islamic State suicide bomber attacked a crowded mosque during Friday prayers in northern Afghanistan, killing nearly 50 Shiite Muslim worshipers and wounding dozens more, underscoring the growing challenge the extremist group poses to the authority of the Taliban.

It was the latest in a string of attacks on religious facilities and the deadliest since U.S. troops exited the country in August. And it raises questions about the ability of Afghanistan’s new rulers to usher in a stable and secure country after two decades of war.

“I saw more than 40 dead bodies lying around,” said Ghausuddin, a 60-year-old engineer who arrived at the mosque minutes after the blast and spoke on the condition that only his middle name be used, for his safety. “There was blood everywhere. In every family, one or two people were either injured or killed.”

The suicide bomber walked into the male section of the Sayed Abad mosque in Kunduz and detonated his explosives, witnesses said. All of the victims were members of Afghanistan’s Shiite Hazara minority, long persecuted by Sunni Muslim extremist groups, including the Taliban. Bilal Karimi, the deputy Taliban spokesman, said Friday night that the blast had killed 46 worshipers and injured another 143.

The Islamic State-Khorasan, the Afghanistan branch of the Syria- and Iraq-based network, claimed responsibility for the attack late Friday in a statement issued on its Amaq news channel.

The bombing came five days after ISIS-K claimed that it had orchestrated a bombing outside a Kabul mosque Sunday, killing at least two people, during a memorial service for the mother of the Taliban’s acting deputy information minister and main spokesman, Zabihullah Mujahid.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2021/10/08/afghanistan-explosion-mosque-kunduz/
compucomp

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2021, 11:27:03 AM »

And oh by the way, ISIS-K identified the bomber as an Uighur Muslim:

In its claim of responsibility, the region’s IS affiliate identified the bomber as a Uygher Muslim, saying the attack targeted both Shiites and the Taliban for their purported willingness to expel Uyghers to meet demands from China. The statement was carried by the IS-linked Aamaq news agency.

So yeah, to all of the Uighur "white knights" on this forum, you're supporting ISIS-K now? Is the enemy of your enemy still your friend? Do you really want to go down this road of justifying terrorist attacks due to the perceived offenses of the target, knowing that the logical conclusion is that the USA brought 9/11 upon itself?
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2021, 11:40:58 AM »

In its claim of responsibility, the region’s IS affiliate identified the bomber as a Uygher Muslim, saying the attack targeted both Shiites and the Taliban for their purported willingness to expel Uyghers to meet demands from China. The statement was carried by the IS-linked Aamaq news agency.

So yeah, to all of the Uighur "white knights" on this forum, you're supporting ISIS-K now? Is the enemy of your enemy still your friend? Do you really want to go down this road of justifying terrorist attacks due to the perceived offenses of the target, knowing that the logical conclusion is that the USA brought 9/11 upon itself?

Who in the hell is actually defending these people?
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2021, 09:27:56 PM »
« Edited: October 10, 2021, 10:43:37 PM by iBizzBee »

The actions of one despicable individual/terrorist of Uyghur descent /=/ The mass detention and genocide of the Uyghur people and their culture.

Who even are you, and why bring this up? CPC apologist alert.

To address the actual horrific event, while it’s an awkward and uncomfortable thing to say given their record — I hope the Taliban are able to stamp out ISIS-K sooner rather than later. Greater evil’s and all that. And at this point, I think the Afghani people just deserve peace.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2021, 04:50:29 AM »

I mean, is it actually a surprise if ISIS is finding some recruits amongst Uighurs?

And did the China apologists on here make similar blanket condemnations of Palestinians or Iraqis or whoever for a very few people amongst them doing exactly the same thing??
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2021, 07:28:55 AM »
« Edited: October 11, 2021, 06:28:37 PM by Meclazine »

Strangely, this has nothing to do with Islam.

This is simply a violent bunch of cave dwellers.

The more they do it, the more they isolate themselves back towards 500 B.C.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2021, 03:19:28 PM »

The actions of one despicable individual/terrorist of Uyghur descent /=/ The mass detention and genocide of the Uyghur people and their culture.

Who even are you, and why bring this up? CPC apologist alert.

To address the actual horrific event, while it’s an awkward and uncomfortable thing to say given their record — I hope the Taliban are able to stamp out ISIS-K sooner rather than later. Greater evil’s and all that. And at this point, I think the Afghani people just deserve peace.

I understand the first thing, but are we even sure genocide does happen. There is a terrorist threat in East-Turkestan and you can't deny that. What China does, is taking actions to prevent that from happening. I'm not sure to what extent those messages are true, if we consider that there are geopolitical motives at play.

It's not like every genocide has been treated equally by the west. Some we genuinely didn't care about and looked the other way.

Is killing every IS fighter a genocide? Is killing every Kurd (what Turkey wants) a genocide.

The west lost most of it's credibility in recent times. We have to face that.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2021, 03:22:30 PM »

It's not like every genocide has been treated equally by the west. Some we genuinely didn't care about and looked the other way.

That's not a good thing.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2021, 03:22:35 PM »

I mean, is it actually a surprise if ISIS is finding some recruits amongst Uighurs?

And did the China apologists on here make similar blanket condemnations of Palestinians or Iraqis or whoever for a very few people amongst them doing exactly the same thing??

Killing Palestinians isn't apparently a genocide. If what China is truly doing is considered to be a genocide, why do we not care about Palestinians. Why is half of the forum Israel apologist.

Right... that's what i mean with credibility and geopolitical motives that matter more than genuine ethical objections against a genocide.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2021, 03:24:41 PM »
« Edited: October 12, 2021, 03:35:05 PM by Laki »

That's not a good thing.
Sure i agree with that. I just don't know what sources to trust. There is probably something China does wrong, but to what extent is it a genocide. That's what I want to know. And i'm not sure what sources to trust, because just like with every controversial issue, there is no true good source from it. China says A, The west says B. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle, so AB.

It's the same for Venezuela. I trust our western sources neither. Neither do i trust Venezuela. I don't trust news on Cuba as well, both from the west and from Cuba, because 100% of news is biased, and numbers are over- or underestimated depending on the source, and there are always motives to look someone bad, or something good. All sources combined probably is the closest to what you can consider the truth, but i don't even think that is accurate.

Iraq has mass destruction weapons... it did turn out that it was also false. The news they told about Libya or Syria was also false. It's obvious in the latter that Assad probably is preferrable than whoever will take power in the mess that is considered that is Syria today, even if i strongly dislike Assad, but if you see what happened in almost every other similar country, the alternative always turns out to be worse, whether it be Egypt, Libya, Iraq or Afghanistan, maybe Iran. It always turns out to be worse, whenever the west meddles in those affairs.

Sure the Afghan PM and Iraqi PM that took power after the Taliban and Saddam lost power are preferrable, but they turn out to be not even relevant for the daily business of that country and not have total control of the country, or that the people in those countries care about those leaders and defending more liberal and progressive values.

Even when we have to face our past, we still turn out to be total jerks. Africa is still treated as a colony. Because if a leader seizes power in an African country that doesn't suit the former colonial power, they will be ousted or we will back a coup and we refuse to accept responsability for that.

If you want peace, you cannot enforce peace, you have to cooperate with whoever is in power in almost all cases. That's how you run a country. You're elected to be the leader of your country, not to be the leader of Afghanistan. You cooperate to minimize terrorist threats, like in this case the Taliban surely has a reason to oppose IS-K, we oppose them as well. That is a common goal that unites us, and from that starting point, we can work on diplomatic relations. Through these diplomatic relations, we will have far more influence on that country through trade or good relations with the people that have power in that country. That's the way it works.

It's none of our business to criticize for example the homophobic message of the Taliban. It's very likely 99% of inhabitants in Afghanistan oppose that as well. That simply doesn't work, and it should not be a priority. The priority is to ensure safety at home, and to defend those values here, and maybe diplomatically spread those values, but not by force. Trade is a way to spread our values. War is not, and should only be a last resort.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2021, 03:49:09 PM »

And FYI.

In Belgium, i was indeed never properly teached about our atrocities commited in Congo. Sure, now we are entering a phase in which Leopold II is starting to get cancelled, even though 10 years ago, he was still named as one of the greatest Belgians to have ever existed in french-speaking Belgium. We still have youngsters that make "hands off" chants on festivals, partially because our educational system fails and encourages bullying and doesn't inform enough about our atrocities, and it's not just my country, it's almost all of the west. The crimes commited in the Middle East, the Native American genocides, what Spain did in Latin America (okay part of it is due to diseases but still), and now we're acting like we're morally the good guy. A large size of our population is anti-Islam, and most of those people are the harder Christians. Some of them say: "we need to protect women's rights and LGBTQ rights", but they morally don't object that Vatican city is an all white hetero male gerontocratic institution. In Europe we hate most of the far-right Eastern Europe, but the countries we hate most are uncoincidentally the more religious ones. Czech Republic and Estonia are arguably the most progressive Eastern European countries, and they do have in common that they are among the most atheist nations in the world.

I do not like the Islam as well. Sure. I do not like Christian and Judaist religions as well. I do not like any of them. And there is an obvious reason for that. But I target ORGANIZED RELIGION and not individuals. A person can still be christian, muslim, judaist and progressive. Many great progressives / communists were judaists in name, and that was even used in a propaganda technique by Nazi-Germany. Someone can be incredibly smart and still believe in the flying Spaghetti Monster. The issue is that organized religion probably limits or inhibits progressivism when you take in factor that not one person believes in that, but thousands and millions, and that those are all affiliated within the same organization. What you individually think is something I do not care about, but it's the group identity that I hate the most, and which is the factor behind radicalism in your religion.$

Few people are evil persons, yet our society fails in every aspect and that's why. One word: group identity.
jaymichaud
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 3.10, S: -7.83

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2021, 04:12:28 PM »

Absolutely horrible. R.I.P
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2021, 07:23:22 AM »

In Belgium, i was indeed never properly teached about our....

You were never properly taught obviously.

That's two words.
FT-02 Senator A.F.E. 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2021, 09:55:03 AM »
« Edited: October 15, 2021, 10:13:55 AM by SHKH. HASAN AL-BANNAH »

Yet again, the barbaric savages of Daesh-Khorasan murder innocents in the midst of Jummah

Inallah-e-raji'oon

KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) — Suicide bombers attacked a Shiite mosque packed with worshippers attending Friday prayers in southern Afghanistan, killing at least 32 people and wounding 68, according to a Taliban official.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the carnage at the Fatimiya mosque in Kandahar province. It came a week after a bombing claimed by the local Islamic State affiliate killed 46 people at a Shiite mosque in northern Afghanistan.

The sectarian bloodletting has raised fears that IS -- an enemy of both the Taliban and the West -- is expanding its foothold in Afghanistan.

Murtaza, who and like many Afghans goes by one name, said he was inside the mosque during the attack and reported four explosions: two outside and two inside. He said Friday prayers at the mosque typically draw hundreds of people.

Another witness, also named Murtaza, was in charge of security at the mosque and said he saw two bombers. He said one detonated explosives outside the gate, and the other was already among the worshippers inside the mosque.

He said the mosque’s security personnel shot another suspected attacker outside.

Video footage showed bodies scattered across bloodstained carpets, with survivors walking around in a daze or crying out in anguish.

Taliban spokesman Bilal Karimi reported the number of dead and wounded. But a local hospital official who was not authorized to speak to the media and spoke on condition of anonymity gave a higher toll, saying at least 37 people were killed and more than 70 wounded.

The Islamic State group, which like Afghanistan’s ruling Taliban is made up of Sunni Muslims, views Shiite Muslims as apostates deserving of death.

IS has claimed a number of deadly bombings across the country since the Taliban seized power in August amid the withdrawal of U.S. forces. The group has also targeted Taliban fighters in smaller attacks.

https://apnews.com/article/afghanistan-religion-taliban-kandahar-6023098d035e41c7ba5bf518d93d9f01
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2021, 01:13:38 PM »

In Belgium, i was indeed never properly teached about our....

You were never properly taught obviously.

That's two words.

Picking non-English speakers up on their use of the language isn't cool, man.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2021, 06:29:04 AM »

Strangely, this has nothing to do with Islam.

This is simply a violent bunch of cave dwellers.

The more they do it, the more they isolate themselves back towards 500 B.C.
Early Palestinian nationalists were Arab nationalists not jihadists.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies