DDNN PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:01:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  DDNN PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: DDNN PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE  (Read 476 times)
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 06, 2021, 05:44:35 PM »

Hello and welcome to the second DDNN Presidential Debate! While the date was originally agreed upon by Scott and Spark, other declared candidates (Cao, MB, Ted, Peebs, Ishan) are more than welcome to participate as well. Please do not post on this thread if you are not a candidate, there is a commentary thread on this board for you to use.

We will try to keep this as live as possible.

First, we will allow time for candidates to make opening statements. Then there will be several rounds of questioning. Candidates may go back and forth and rebut each others points as they wish.

Candidates, please proceed with your opening statement
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2021, 06:05:54 PM »

First, I would like to thank DDNN for hosting this debate.

You know, I became a member of this forum and this game just over ten years ago. And during those years, I have learned much from senior colleagues as well as newcomers. I learned the importance of commitment and activity, because it is my conviction that the game cannot work unless our elected officials are delivering for the people.

I'm going to say something that I don't believe any of the candidates on this stage would dispute: we need change, and we need it now. We need not just a change of pace, we need a change of culture as well. That's why I am running a campaign that focuses on the needs of the people and the game: activity, inclusiveness, and for those who have been left behind over the course of our changing economy, a hand-up. We also need foreign policy to be relevant in this game once again.

I understand that this is the most pressing job in the game. I'm prepared and ready to take on the challenges facing us both domestically, abroad, and in-game, and I hope to earn your support to be the next President of the Republic of Atlasia.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2021, 06:07:04 PM »
« Edited: October 06, 2021, 06:10:51 PM by Senator Spark »

Firstly, thank you to DDNN and Wulfric for hosting this second presidential debate. As you may know, my name is Spark and I have had an extensive career fighting for Atlasia. I am running because what we have seen over the past few months is not representative of what Atlasia should be as a nation. Our country has gone down the path of stagnation, complacency, and inaction. I cannot stand for that. As President, it will be my highest priority to ensure that together we can work to fix Atlasia's activity issues and many others. I promise to raise the standard of living for each Atlasian and provide for their well-being.

I am different from the other candidates because I am open-minded, pragmatic, and an independent thinker. I am committed to getting the job done and to chart a brighter future for Atlasia. My opponent, Scott, will only serve to continue the decline in Atlasia. While many believe the Labor party has sensible policies and will bring change, we know that this is very far from the truth. With a Federalist in the White House, I will reform our nation and commit to governing amicably and responsibly. I am prepared to take bold steps and bring dynamic leadership back to Atlasia. It is what we desperately need at this time.

For those concerned about my past, just know that I have grown and learned from my mistakes. The past should not determine the future, and it must be the same for Atlasia. I urge all Atlasians, left, right, and center to come together to support my candidacy in forging a more equitable country. My opponents are simply concerned with gaining higher office, while I am working on fighting for you. A leader should not want to lead in times of expediency, but at all times. As President, you can count on me to confront criticisms and challenges head on, and not avoid my issues or adversaries. You can expect me to take a stand for what is right and stay true to my principles, while making compromises when necessary to move the country closer to better policies.

As it pertains to those weary about past mistakes by previous nominees, the days of unacceptable post-election conduct are over. I will accept any result and you should too. We should not make excuses for Governor LT, but rather ensure that future nominees will not repeat these same mistakes. I will not belittle anyone. I will only seek to differentiate myself and attack their policies for the potential damage done to Atlasia. Throughout my career, you've known me as a fighter and that is what I will continue to be. I remain persistent, steadfast, and committed to the ideals of Atlasia. I have established a full cabinet to get to work on day 1. Atlasia, it's time to spark the change and we need to make that happen soon because our country is at stake.

If we do this together, nothing can stop us; but we need to make the right choice and vote for the candidate who can accomplish meaningful reform. I believe I am that candidate.

Thank you.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2021, 06:27:33 PM »

All right, thank you. As a note, any other candidates observing are more than welcome to chime in at any time and rebuttals are welcome throughout:

Questions for all candidates

1. Why do you still care about this game? What inspires you to want to rescue it from its current state rather than let it die?

2. Lots of candidates talk about activity, but fail to deliver. Perhaps because it is more pleasant to deal with an inactive legislature of supporters than an active legislature of opponents, many have ended up only managing the decline rather than inspiring more activity, and eventually seen their own activity falter. What assurances and evidence can you give the public that you will not only be active yourself, but motivate others to do the same?

3. In the event of a vacancy in the cabinet or Supreme Court, or if you wished to replace a cabinet member, what standards would you use in evaluating who to nominate? What weight would ideological consistency hold as compared to fitness for the role?

Question for Scott: Given you are a member of the party which has effectively held the Presidency since July of 2019, why should people honestly believe you would bring change? Wouldn't there be tremendous pressure from your party to not rock the boat and uphold the status quo - how would you resist that?

Question for Spark: Given your past actions regarding election fraud and certain sexual endeavors, why should people trust you will be a person of integrity and good character as President?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2021, 07:06:33 PM »

1. Why do you still care about this game? What inspires you to want to rescue it from its current state rather than let it die?

Well, I care about this game because, for me, it was one of the main reasons I joined the site so long ago. I've been around for so many great debates and campaigns, and it saddens me that the game has devolved to a series of personality cliques rather than a place for constructive policy discussion. There are good qualities to this game that mirror the good qualities I've seen in the forum at-large.

A famous man once said, "Death is inevitable." I don't believe that needs to be the case for the game. And what I have is plan to steer this game from decline, not "manage" or continue it, as my opponents have repeatedly said, when I have been consistently active as a senator and as a leader of our legislative body.

2. Lots of candidates talk about activity, but fail to deliver. Perhaps because it is more pleasant to deal with an inactive legislature of supporters than an active legislature of opponents, many have ended up only managing the decline rather than inspiring more activity, and eventually seen their own activity falter. What assurances and evidence can you give the public that you will not only be active yourself, but motivate others to do the same?

I want to be a hands-on president. The President's job does not begin and end at the White House. Whether I am president in November or I remain a member of the Senate, I fully intend to continue to remain engaged in Senate debates. I'm also going to continue working closely with Secretary wxtransit and our National Security Council to respond to events happening abroad. I view my own time in the Senate as evidence that I can, and will be, an active president as well as a diplomat for activity and cooperation between all parties for common goals.

3. In the event of a vacancy in the cabinet or Supreme Court, or if you wished to replace a cabinet member, what standards would you use in evaluating who to nominate? What weight would ideological consistency hold as compared to fitness for the role?

My foremost priority in filling vacancies will be finding people who can dedicate themselves to activity, and one of my jobs as president will be to ensure that the people I appoint remain committed to that role as long as they are serving, and I will not hesitate to discharge people from cabinet positions if they are not delivering on activity.

In the event of a Supreme Court vacancy, I vow to appoint someone who will apply the law based on an objective understanding of our Constitution as well as precedent. A good justice is a justice who considers arguments from both sides. A good justice is a justice who will evaluate the consequences of their decisions, for both sides of the case and how that will affect the Atlasian people.

I also firmly believe that the Supreme Court must have credibility with the Atlasian public. We have already come to a consensus on certain issues, such as abortion and the role that regions play in regulating them. These are things which preserve trust between the Court and the Atlasian people.

In the event that a Supreme Court seat becomes open during my presidency, I will also seek people who have past experience working with our judiciary. A court nomination is one that cannot be revoked, and so it is imperative that we appoint justices who pledge to be there when they are needed. I will do just that.

Question for Scott: Given you are a member of the party which has effectively held the Presidency since July of 2019, why should people honestly believe you would bring change? Wouldn't there be tremendous pressure from your party to not rock the boat and uphold the status quo - how would you resist that?

This is a very fair question, and for the record I would like to state that I'm proud of what Labor has accomplished domestically - often with the support of multiple parties. And on occasion, I have faced pressure from my party on issues where we differ, such as gun rights, or how we ought to work with other parties. I like to consider myself a diplomat on forging consensus where possible, which has not been an easy task because ultimately, any decision will leave at least some people feeling disappointed.

Hearkening back to my answer to your second question, I'm going to play an active role in legislation as it is being deliberated. While not a voting senator, the President's opinions and ideas for legislation absolutely matter. Activity is one issue where I fully intend to "rock the boat" by enticing legislators.

But again, I believe that under Labor, we have seen some great things. Our response to the COVID-19 pandemic was swift, and as a result we are in much better shape than the OTL United States on this front. We've expanded the safety net in a way that I have often dubbed "the New Great Society". I don't want us to renege on that, and I will oppose any attempts to roll back these economic reforms or impose austerity on working, poor, and vulnerable Atlasians.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2021, 08:04:32 PM »

This game is important because it encourages us all to pay attention to the issues that are important to not only us but our citizens. We need to rescue it from its present state because our people deserve an active government, and that is not what they are getting right now. The least we can provide the Atlasian people is activity, and I will work to improve activity in bringing together the commission to implement solutions to this issue.

Activity is an obligation. The people elect their representatives to do their jobs in a timely manner. It is not enough for officeholders themselves to be accountable, but also hold other officeholders to the same standard. Back in 2020, I did this when I was a Southern delegate. The Deputy Speaker at the time was not the most active officeholder and I called on him to resign. The Atlasian people deserve the most active and capable officials to do their work. As President, I will promote high standards of activity and conduct to ensure that we are reaching our goals and completing our agenda effectively.

In a vacancy on the Supreme Court, I would first evaluate the nominee's qualifications for an appointment and their record objectively, and them make the selection accordingly. Ideological consistency would play less of a role for the appointment and would be less important than objectivity and fitness for the role. The Supreme Court is the highest court in our land we must be sure that our justices are the brightest and most talented individuals. I have established a short-list in the event of Supreme Court vacancies so that the people know what to expect if that happens.

Question for Spark: Given your past actions regarding election fraud and certain sexual endeavors, why should people trust you will be a person of integrity and good character as President?

I've addressed this question ad nauseum for a number of weeks, but I can assure you that I will not repeat my past mistakes and have learned from them. I've never committed any crimes in office nor have I used my office for personal or financial gain. I have respected the obligation that Atlasians had granted me in providing for them. Service to our country is paramount and I plan to uphold the highest moral and ethical standards in providing that service. I plan to do the same as the next President.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2021, 08:28:33 PM »
« Edited: October 06, 2021, 08:31:50 PM by Lincoln Deputy Dwarven Dragon »

Round 2:

Thank you. We will turn to several social issues next.

Questions for all candidates:

1. Recently the Senate came together behind a partial repeal of the Assault Weapons ban. Are you satisfied with this plan, or will you seek a more comprehensive repeal or a return to the ban's full version? Why?

2. There has been some suggestions during the campaign that the federal government truce on the issue of abortion should come to a close: That is, the Federal government should seek to force its preferred view of abortion on the nation instead of leaving it to the regions. Do you agree such a shift should occur, and if so, to what extent would you allow or restrict the procedure?

3. What policies, if any, would you enact to seek further racial equality/equity in the nation? Do you see our society as one that is systemically racist, and what are your thoughts on critical race theory?

4. When it comes to Atlasian laws on RL illegal drugs (Heroin, LSD, Cocaine, etc.), do you think Atlasia is too permissive or too restrictive? What changes if any would you make to current Atlasian law in this area?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2021, 09:04:22 PM »
« Edited: October 06, 2021, 09:15:55 PM by Senator Scott, PPT🎃 »

1. Recently the Senate came together behind a partial repeal of the Assault Weapons ban. Are you satisfied with this plan, or will you seek a more comprehensive repeal or a return to the ban's full version? Why?

I personally favor a full repeal. This is definitely one policy area where I'm at odds with a number of my fellow Laborites. But, for the time being, I am hoping for the vote to override the President's veto on the compromise repeal to succeed. I have long been of the view that our focus should not be on the aesthetics of the gun, nor on banning guns which, while sometimes classified as "assault weapons", are used for hunting - but on keeping guns out of the hands of violent offenders.

As to the bill in question, I voted against the original ban and I have not changed my stance. The right to keep and bear arms is one protected by our Constitution. I have been very consistent on this throughout my career. My opponent with us tonight, Senator Spark, has been privately inconsistent on this issue, and on that I believe we deserve some clarity as to how he will safeguard that Constitutional right.

2. There has been some suggestions during the campaign that the federal government truce on the issue of abortion should come to a close: That is, the Federal government should seek to force its preferred view of abortion on the nation instead of leaving it to the regions. Do you agree such a shift should occur, and if so, to what extent would you allow or restrict the procedure?

As I have said, I believe that the truce should continue and we should respect the regions' rights to regulate abortion. Personally, I believe that abortion should be safe, legal, and rare, and restricted at the point of viability. And I certainly won't support laws like the one passed in Texas OTL, which enables citizens - from any state - to sue any person in Texas who "aids or abets" the procurement of an abortion past six weeks, which may or may not include those who transport women to a clinic. This is a very extreme law that I hope my all opponents in this race will agree is wrong, and that I hope we can all condemn regardless of where we stand on the abortion issue.

3. What policies, if any, would you enact to seek further racial equality/equity in the nation? Do you see our society as one that is systemically racist, and what are your thoughts on critical race theory?

I think this is one issue where all the regions and parties have done a spectacular job in-game. It is those commonsense police reforms that allow OTL victims of systemic racism, such as George Floyd, to continue living today.

"Critical race theory" has become something of an ill-defined term, an old scholarly theory but a new one in our political lexicon which is misunderstood and used to instill fear in people. I, for one, believe it is possible to recognize past and current prejudices against people of color without rejecting this country's founding ideals - those same ideals we aspire to live by more faithfully.

4. When it comes to Atlasian laws on RL illegal drugs (Heroin, LSD, Cocaine), etc, do you think Atlasia is too permissive or too restrictive? What changes if any would you make to current Atlasian law in this area?

Like with criminal justice reform, there is consensus among the parties and regions that OTL drug laws need to be reformed, and in-game we have done just that. I do not favor legalization of hard drugs, but I do support the legal status of softer ones, including cannabis and psychedelic mushrooms. And I support the status quo on other drugs, including decriminalization and rehabilitation. Drug addiction is a public health issue, and one that ought to be in the purview of doctors and public health officials, rather than the penal system.

If I may pivot to a related topic, I would like to see where Atlasia stands in regard to opiate use, and it is a topic I intend on pressing our next GM on. While I surmise that our lax approach to soft drugs has saved lives from opiate addiction, we need a full picture of where Atlasia is on those legal drugs and people's dependency on them. Opiate deaths have exceeded vehicular fatalities in the OTL United States, and I will demand a full investigation from our GM on this problem in Atlasia.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2021, 09:07:00 PM »
« Edited: October 06, 2021, 09:21:18 PM by Senator Spark »

Yes, I am proud of the partial repeal that was accomplished in the Senate. I am satisfied with this plan because it provides safeguards to the 2nd amendment right which is paramount. I supported the partial repeal because I want our law abiding citizens to have less restrictions on owning firearms. However, we need to keep these firearms out of the wrong hands.

I will not go as far to support a full repeal due to the prevalence of mass shootings. There is some evidence from OTL that mass shootings decreased somewhat after the 1994 ban, and it is careless for my opponent to suggest a full repeal. Frankly, it's putting our citizens at risk. My oath is to protect our citizens and I will do just that while balancing the 2nd amendment right. A right is not absolute, this bill is for the common good.

Abortion is a truly contentious issue and one that must be settled by the federal government. For far too long, Federalist Presidents have punted on this issue and I am prepared to go the extra mile in protecting the right to life. Abortion is murder and a heinous practice.

As a result, I believe that the federal government should get involved in this matter despite there being precedent for the regions. The regions should only be permitted to enact stricter, not less restrictive, laws on abortion. If these laws conflict, the federal government has supremacy. While I am morally and religiously opposed to abortion, I understand the separation of church and state. Exceptions to this rule should exist such as in cases of incest, rape, or danger to the life of the mother. In those cases, it should be up to the individual and the regions to decide.

Some policies that I would enact to further racial justice include voluntary bias recognition training for companies and employees, rooting out hatred where it festers, and making our institutions more equitable.

This is an important issue because all citizens deserve a fair chance and the system isn't always the best in providing that. I believe that companies should have diversity in their leadership and those from minoritized backgrounds should be represented. I also hope to have a diverse cabinet in not only opinion, but ethnic background. I welcome any individual to apply to work in my administration.

CRT should be taught but its purpose and intention must be clarified. Many people associate CRT as "hating the country", while that is a misguided view. The purpose of CRT is to inform citizens of our past. We need to recognize that prejudice exists and to root it out.

4. When it comes to Atlasian laws on RL illegal drugs (Heroin, LSD, Cocaine, etc.), do you think Atlasia is too permissive or too restrictive? What changes if any would you make to current Atlasian law in this area?

As it pertains to this issue of drugs, Atlasia seems to be permissive. I support keeping these drugs illegal especially with the rise of the opioid epidemic. Legalizing these drugs causes more harm than good and we need to keep them out of the possession of our citizens. Instead of criminalizing drug use, rehabilitation should be the first priority. We need to treat it as a public health crisis and refer to it as such.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2021, 09:41:12 PM »

1. To what extent should the government mandate covid vaccines and covid booster shots?

2. Do you consider AtlasCare to be an adequate and appropriate health care plan for this country? If not, what changes would you make?

3. What actions will you take to fight climate change and weaken our dangerous dependencies on fossil fuels?

Question for Scott:

You and your running mate are both openly religious. How/to what extent has your faith influenced your past accomplishments and future goals?

Question for Spark:

Do you support the RL Texas 6-week abortion ban? Why or why not?
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2021, 09:53:18 PM »
« Edited: October 06, 2021, 10:01:38 PM by Senator Spark »

1. To what extent should the government mandate covid vaccines and covid booster shots?

The government should require Covid vaccines for employment and social venues. It is questionable that the government has authority to do so. However, the government should promote vaccination because we are mired in a pandemic. It is in the best interest of our citizens to be vaccinated against this disease.

2. Do you consider AtlasCare to be an adequate and appropriate health care plan for this country? If not, what changes would you make?

AtlasCare is an appropriate option for health care. I would prefer to keep this plan in place but also encourage the private sector to offer high quality healthcare. Only those who cannot afford care should be subsidized by the government.

3. What actions will you take to fight climate change and weaken our dangerous dependencies on fossil fuels?

I plan to establish a climate council to address climate change as well as beginning a cap and trade carbon capture program to reduce Atlasia's carbon footprint by at least 50% by the end of my term. I also plan to address and prevent natural disasters before they start by providing grants for research and development to various companies across our country.

Fossil fuels must be gradually phased out while we supplement these technologies with wind and solar. Fossil fuels are expected to be exhausted by 2050 and we need to come up with sustainable solutions to these issues. Making the switch to electric vehicles and installing charging stations may become necessary in coming years and I am prepared to encourage that investment as President.

Question for Spark:

Do you support the RL Texas 6-week abortion ban? Why or why not?

No, I do not support that ban. This law is very restrictive and punitive for those who do not have direct involvement with the process of an abortion. However, in Atlasia, I support a constitutional amendment protecting the right to life to be voted on by the people and ratified by the regions.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2021, 10:11:12 PM »
« Edited: October 06, 2021, 10:17:19 PM by Senator Scott, PPT🎃 »

Well, I am obviously in favor of the vaccine law I wrote and helped pass through the Senate. The bill does not mandate booster shots, and I believe it is too early to say which way public policy should reflect that.

But folks, we cannot "mask" our way out of this pandemic. We cannot "socially distance" ourselves to immunity. I support bodily autonomy, but absent the Vaccination Act of 2021 - which requires Atlasians as well as those seeking to enter our border to be immunized against the virus - is not possible to keep COVID cases and fatalities down. The choice not to get a vaccine doesn't just affect the individual, it affects those heart patients hospitals have had to turn away OTL due to lack of available beds.

And while I do understand the concerns of those who oppose the mandate, I also believe it will ultimately lead to more freedoms and opportunities for all people. An end to the outbreaks means an end to delays in both the private and public sectors. An end to the outbreaks means we will not need further mask mandates on individuals, or social distancing requirements. It means that we can return to a state of normalcy.

Let me tell ya, as someone who helped write the original AtlasCare bill - along with Senator North Carolina Yankee, Justice PiT, and shua - crafting the final product felt like childbirth. But, over the years, it has been working for the Atlasian people, and since we passed the original bill, AtlasCare has grown to cover more services such as telehealth and contraceptives.

AtlasCare guarantees universal coverage while also allowing the regions to design and experiment with their own healthcare programs. It is, out of all the legislation I've been a party to, by far, the proudest bill I've ever had a part in. I want to protect it, and I am happy to work across the aisle with people like my opponent to expand it to cover addiction treatment.

Well, I'm going to continue to uphold the Red-Green New Deal that I voted for and invest in renewable energy. This is an area where, I think, my opponent and I are mostly in agreement, but I believe that his attempts in the Senate to address this issue have been lacking in detail as well as funding.

Nuclear energy is one area where I'm more in favor of than a lot of green voters, but I also acknowledge that plants are very expensive and take a very long time to build. I want us to continue investing in hydroelectric power, as well as cheaper renewables such as wind and solar power.

Question for Scott:

You and your running mate are both openly religious. How/to what extent has your faith influenced your past accomplishments and future goals?

First, I would like to say that of all the things my mother did in her life for me, the gift of faith is the best thing she had ever given me. It is that faith which has guided all my choices in life, and while I support separation of church and state and religious pluralism, it also informs me of that moral imperative to uplift the poor and the vulnerable. It is that faith which has guided my vision for a just society for all, with an emphasis on helping the least of those: the poor, the outcasts, the addicts, the victims of discrimination. I believe that the same applies to my running mate, and that's why I'm so proud to have Battista on my team.

I also fundamentally believe that faith in a higher power is essential in making the right choices, for ourselves and for society. I've said in my campaign that we are the hands and feet of God. We must be the good we wish to see in the world. And with that, we must also humble ourselves as imperfect beings striving each day to be better, for the benefit of something greater than ourselves. This is the faith that guides me and my running mate.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2021, 10:41:18 PM »

Candidates, this will be the last round of questioning (closing statements to follow; I will signal when to issue those).

---

1. Please describe your level of satisfaction or dissatisfaction with the state of the Atlasian Economy. What policies would you enact to create jobs and resolve income inequality in our nation?

2. Recently, Lincoln unsuccessfully attempted to secede from the Union. If you were a Lincoln resident, how would you have voted in the referendum and why?

3. Should the incoming GM resume NPC elections? Why or why not?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2021, 10:54:26 PM »

1. Please describe your level of satisfaction or dissatisfaction with the state of the Atlasian Economy. What policies would you enact to create jobs and resolve income inequality in our nation?

Unfortunately, the current state of the Atlasian economy is one of those many "known unknowns" that the new Game Moderator, presumably Mr. Lumine, will need to give us. However, if our economy is anything like OTL, I would say that the economy is doing a hell of a lot better than it was during the pandemic. Where I currently live IRL, "Help Wanted" signs are popping up everywhere. And I believe that's the case in various other cities also.

I believe that my Children's Universal Basic Income program (CUBI) is going to uplift millions of families. And I also believe that new infrastructure projects and public works programs, such as those we've passed within the past year, will increase opportunity and reduce income inequality.

But, we also must not neglect those parts of West Virginia, Kentucky, Ohio, Michigan, Western Pennsylvania, which have lost out in many ways in the "New Economy". I've stated in my jobs plan that we need to redistribute the gains of that "New Economy" to the "Old Economy". And now just recently, Ford announced plans to invest $11 billion in new plants in Tennessee and Kentucky for the production of electric vehicles. Headlines like that are what give me optimism about our nation's future.

2. Recently, Lincoln unsuccessfully attempted to secede from the Union. If you were a Lincoln resident, how would you have voted in the referendum and why?

I opposed the secession proposal in its inception, I campaigned against secession and whipped support against it during the referendum, and I am glad that over 60% of Lincolnites voted for our union. It is imperative that we keep our country together. That sacred union is what keeps us the most powerful country in the world

If I were GM today, I would not resume NPC elections, due to lack of interest. Should there be a renewed desire to continue them, I would support them. However, at this time, I do not believe that is a feasible option.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2021, 12:25:33 AM »

Alright, well Spark is offline and Wulfric hasn't gotten back to me on Discord. I'm not staying up all night and the sleeping pills are about to kick in, so I'll just post my closing statement now.

Once again, I would like to thank Wulfric and DDNN for hosting this debate. And I would like to thank Senator Spark for joining me on this stage tonight. And thank you, to the viewers, for being here with us as well.

My friends, over the last decade, I have established a record of progressive accomplishments to make our nation better and raise living standards. Both pre- and post-reset, I have worked with multiple parties, indeed I have been in multiple parties, to deliver for the Atlasian people. As a legislator, as a senator, as First Minister, as Governor of the former Northeast, as Emperor of the former Imperial Dominion of the South, I have dedicated great time and effort to forging consensus and building bridges.

I have led on issues that are dear to me, and throughout all the time I have held office, I never went inactive. My opponents want to characterize me as someone who will "manage the decline" of Atlasia, as someone who will continue the culture of malaise. And to that I only say, the record speaks for itself.

Battista Minola and I will always fight for you. I will be a full-time leader for this great Republic if I am so fortunate to earn your support.

With the debate having now concluded, I remain open to answer questions in my campaign thread.

Thank you once again, good night, Dave bless all of you, and Dave bless this great Republic we all love so much.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2021, 01:29:10 AM »

Opening statement

Obviously thanks must go to Wulfric for continuing to oversee these debates, and apologies for being late. Real life is something all of us have to deal with to different degrees.

To that regard, as far as the game goes, I should begin by noting that the President will not be and never has been able to solve inactivity on their own. It's a job for all of us in the government, all of us as regular voters and concerned citizens. Once elected, the President must set as good an example as possible toward that end in their own activity and engagement with both the AFE and AFG boards – and the rest of us must do likewise. The game won't recover without both of those conditions happening.

I don't have the longevity or tenure of either of my colleagues here. But I have had an active congressional career, including two-and-a-half terms as Speaker of the House, and a record of engagement across Fantasyland during which the importance of keeping the game active never left my mind for a minute. It has included both the little celebrations of engagement at all levels of our nation and the fixing of the small but significant injustices which we in positions of power have an obligation to address, and there is no more significant such position than the presidency. In the realms of economic and national security and foreign policy and the environment and support for our families and workers and those struggling to get by, there is an opportunity, both from the presidential desk and in the game at large, to protect our nation's citizens.

I am running to do what I can to make the game better, and to make government better, because only then can we say that Atlasia is a place where everyone can be welcomed.

Activity issues

I've mentioned before that I joined the game of my own accord at a time when activity was also at a trough. I contested an election considered to be unwinnable for which the stakes were an inactive and unanimous Lincoln Council. These are not unusual elements of the game. Atlasia matters for the opportunity it affords to anyone with a vote to get on their soapbox and participate in the electoral and policy discussions at hand. It is not an elections simulator where the outcome is preset; there are no constraints on how active or passive a role you take; it is, in short, an uncommonly flexible game of nearly boundless player opportunities that has run far longer than anyone expected it to. As the same wise man Scott quoted has also said, death isn't inevitable anymore, and it will not be for Atlasia if I continue to have anything to say about it.

Repeated assurances of this kind can hardly be expected to get more credible as time passes, but I can only point to my own record. Working with ideological opponents is nothing new for me; neither are efforts I formerly made as House Speaker to raise legislative activity even when I disagreed with the outcome. That will certainly continue if I am elected. I have worked productively with members of the DPC and NSC, the Attorney General, and the Secretary of State, all vital elements of our executive branch, and I don't expect my efforts to continue doing so as President to change substantially.

Any and all appointees to the Supreme Court must obviously commit to preserving the confidence the Court holds in the eyes of the Atlasian people as a proper arbiter of the law. That will be a prime determinant of Supreme Court candidates in my administration – I would hope in any sane administration. As previously mentioned I've worked well with most players and certainly would welcome a politically and ideologically diverse Cabinet, as long as they are active enough to do their jobs.

Social issues

This revised plan does a better job of preventing unnecessary gun deaths, the main argument for the original AWB, without overly restricting the times when guns can be used in other situations. It is a much-needed first step toward restoring sanity on the gun issue. Obviously I don't see eye to eye with the President's decision to veto even that revision and hope to see this effort continue, but as far as my own preferences go I will push for a full repeal. There are better ways to address the issue that don't cut the constitutional rights of gun owners out entirely, including better-enforced background checks and a focus on encouraging the responsible gun ownership that the Founders no doubt took for granted when they drafted the Bill of Rights.

Absolutely not. I am personally pro-life, this is again nothing new, but the best results for both mother and child have always come at the lowest levels of government where individual personal considerations can be taken into account and respected to their fullest extent. The regions' right to manage the issue should not change. I also have always held, along with many members of my party, that this must be addressed in the context of other issues such as education and maternal care where the underlying conditions for abortion are best tackled in the legislative arena.

I don't hold with the punitiveness which some fringe voices in this area have shown. Positive reforms are always color-blind, not holding any one race above others, and legislative steps to address the negative experiences that members of marginalized communities have faced – such as the Asian-Atlasian discriminatory reporting bill Senator OBD and I sponsored on behalf of our communities – must always be buttressed by reforms like these. As for critical race theory I have been immensely fortunate in still not knowing or particularly caring what it is; if people can listen to what their parents taught them (or should have taught them) and treat others right regardless of their race or creed without letting the sins of the past define relationships with their fellow Atlasians, that will naturally make its way into the way we approach issues legislatively.

As with the abortion issue, drugs have too often been divorced from the surrounding factors which make substance abuse, overuse, etc. possible. Our prior legislative efforts on, for example, the various drug crises have focused on several such factors and that is a model that any drug-related Atlasian law coming onto the books in the future should ideally follow. Relieving our fellow citizens of the worst effects of these drugs has been and will always be of paramount importance, both in rehabilitation and the legal consequences arising from their abuse.

Owing to the aforementioned issues in real life, and with the natural respect due to the moderator and my fellow candidates, I will leave things here for the moment and resume my answers to the other questions and closing statement tomorrow. Hopefully that is understandable.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2021, 06:15:38 AM »
« Edited: October 07, 2021, 06:18:46 AM by Senator Spark »

Candidates, this will be the last round of questioning (closing statements to follow; I will signal when to issue those).

---

I am not as pleased with the state of the economy because many citizens struggle to make ends meet. The COVID pandemic placed great strain upon our businesses and individuals and I believe we can go further to implement relief. I hope to pass a tax reduction of up to 25% to aid our middle class. I also intend to double the child tax credit for those with families.

Income inequality can only be solved by recognizing that CEOs should not be allowed to provide themselves with raises and we should outlaw that practice. It is not ethical. While many people are struggling, people are getting richer. We need to coordinate with the private sector to ensure there are equitable solutions. I do not recommend raising taxes on the rich because I believe it may limit our investment in the economy.

I've made myself very clear on this issue that I do not tolerate secessionist ideals. As a candidate, I had encouraged Lincolnites to vote no on the referendums and that is what I would have done if I still was a resident of Lincoln. Our nation is better and stronger together and I am relieved to see that Lincoln has remained in the Union.

Yes, the GM should resume the NPC elections because these elections spur activity within the game. This is a way for us to involve new players within Atlasia. I am in full support of their maintenance and expansion.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2021, 06:57:00 AM »

Thank you. It is now time for closing statements. Scott has already posted his so simply scroll up to read that.

Thanks for your participation and I look forward to another debate later in the month.

Owing to the aforementioned issues in real life, and with the natural respect due to the moderator and my fellow candidates, I will leave things here for the moment and resume my answers to the other questions and closing statement tomorrow. Hopefully that is understandable.

Certainly
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2021, 09:42:52 PM »

Closing statement

I truly appreciate DDNN for choosing to host this debate. We are at a crossroads Atlasia, and I believe  we can make better choices for our children and for our future. That is the reason you should elect me as the next President. I will take decisive action to restore the promise of Atlasia. I will promote our country's ideals and ensure its prosperity. We must reverse this decline before it is too late.

I do not believe that mere words go far enough in addressing this because a culture of complacency has been created. The past few Presidents have been members of the Labor party. Ask yourselves, do you want more of the same? Do you want more inactivity and strife in our country? More petty feuds with nothing to show for it? Or do you desire something different? Something lasting that will make us all proud? I can tell you that I will bring that as President.

My record shows that I am committed to pragmatic solutions and taking all sides into account before making a decision. In making those decisions, I never wavered and stuck by them. I accepted all responsibility and criticisms for my actions. That is what a leader does. I believe that I exemplify that. I have the experience it takes to be commander-in-chief. In serving as a senator, deputy speaker, delegate, council member, and assemblyman, I had a broad range of experiences that served to make a better officeholder. I can be counted on to spark the change one more time in our nation's highest office.

We will be the change makers of our time. But we have to accomplish that together. Incremental changes are possible. Don't let anyone tell us that we can't fix Atlasia. I have been fighting my whole career for just that. We can do it.

I hope you all have a wonderful night. Dave bless you all and dave bless this country.

Best,

Spark
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2021, 02:15:52 AM »
« Edited: October 08, 2021, 02:18:56 AM by Lincoln Senator Joseph Cao »

This nearly did not see the light of day – my computer crashed as I was finishing up a longer response. Anyway I hope they were at least answered to people’s satisfaction.

Healthcare and environmental issues

1. To what extent should the government mandate COVID vaccines and COVID booster shots?

As the original House sponsor of the bill launching the vaccination program, I understood the stakes of this situation and favored the subsequent policies of mandatory vaccinations for federal employees. Beyond that I am made uncomfortably aware of how out of date our COVID information is; at last report we have had an exemplary vaccination campaign driven at all levels of government that should have gotten the overwhelming majority of Atlasians vaccinated. Given that all available evidence suggests they are not needed, certainly to a far smaller degree than the reality where we are far less in control of the COVID situation, I was and remain uncomfortable with mandatory COVID jabs for everyone.

Similarly, without in-game judgement on booster shots’ efficacy, I remain in favor of using our vaccine stockpiles for the purposes of so-called “vaccine diplomacy” where they can be better put to use.

AtlasCare’s extent of coverage has demonstrated its clear advantages in making sure all Atlasians have access to quality healthcare. As Yankee has mentioned, however, in light of COVID the key focus moving forward must be the efficiency of implementation and protocols in use on the ground as we fine-tune the extent to which our citizens actually receive quality healthcare. Bills patching up such flaws, like the one I offered in the House prior to its dissolution, do that job.

More than nearly any other issue, climate change needs to be tackled with an eye towards the people who suffer most from its effects, and any solutions need to clearly and measurably involve them. Measures like the carbon tax place appropriate burdens on high-polluting industries to take environmental factors into account. We need to work with local and regional governments in coordinating not just our response to unseasonal floods, heat waves, and the like, but also in deciding on the best and most locally oriented solutions. There are fantastic opportunities for expansion of wind and hydroelectric power, both promising sources of energy on a large scale, and I would work with the lower levels of government in determining the best way to respect the environment and create Atlasian jobs in the process.

In all of this, of course, we also must ensure no workers are left behind in the shift toward green solutions, and continued funding of programs like the Appalachian redevelopment and jobs program I sponsored in my first congressional term goes a long way toward achieving this goal.

Gameplay issues

As previously mentioned, my time in Congress has focused again and again on helping sidelined communities of all kinds: Appalachia, veterans, families struggling to make ends meet. The groundwork laid to help people like them as we emerge into a year of economic recovery from COVID has been admirable, a testament to the fundamental resilience of the Atlasian people, and continuing that effort will be a top priority of mine as President.

These programs have helped create jobs for the people who most need them; making the jobs count toward their primary function of raising an Atlasian's economic station must and should be linked to creating these kinds of opportunities. Whether through a lower tax rate for our small businesses and working individual families, the people who have suffered the most under these conditions, or by providing further credits for businesses that create better-quality and better-paying Atlasian jobs, I believe in a bottom-up economic policy that helps everyone make their way up the ladder.

I made abundantly clear my thoughts on the pettiness of the referendum's origin, the subsequent referendum and the constitutional veneer it provided for said pettiness, and in the vote itself, where I was more than happy to get out the vote to keep this pettiness from having long-term implications for our nation. Lumine and Truman raised good points regarding the lack of activity or debate around this, but its very nature makes the act of arguing expansively against a feud between two regional legislators more or less equivalent in energy and efficacy to pig-wrestling in the mud.

The NPCs were originally proposed as a means to stimulate activity across the board and the AFE board, but a culture of management overwhelmingly among a select few players with the energy to dedicate themselves to cycle after cycle of simulated elections has since taken hold. Unless the prevailing apathy around engagement in the game in general changes, I do not believe they should be reinstated if the same outcome would result.

Closing statement

I am ready to fight for Atlasia. Like my opponents, I have the experience to do so. And believe me, as someone dealing with real-life issues myself, on one of the many front lines of the activity crisis and still managing to show up and inject activity and debate into the game, I have the drive and the capabilities to get the office of the Presidency up to its full in-game potential.

It bears repeating once again that this is only the first step, that the President will not solve inactivity on their own and it falls to the rest of us all regardless of our status or party or what office we hold to do our part, too, in breathing new life into this game. Contra what anyone else might say, I am committed to that idea: that everyone can do their part. Whether you agree or disagree with what I’ve said on this stage, we have room to work together and get things back on track: economic and foreign and environmental policy, and the game itself. I will make certain that my side, at least, is ready to work toward that end. And I hope to earn your vote if you agree.

This is a job for everyone, a challenge for everyone. And there is a place for everyone in a country where we succeed in overcoming that challenge.

Thank you once again to Wulfric for moderating, to my friends here for joining me in offering a positive vision for this game, and to all of you for listening. My campaign thread is open for anyone who wants to ask questions.

Good night, everyone; Dave bless you all, and Dave less Atlasia.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies