Idea: Force politicians to leave office when they run for president or are selected vice president

(1/2) > >>

GregTheGreat657:
Basically what the title says, but if they lose the election, they can go back to their old office when they get enough signatures to hold a special election, and they win that special election

Del Tachi:
I believe this is actually a constitutional feature in many presidential systems.   But I'd probably want it to be worded like this:

"No Senator or Representative, or Person holding an Office of Trust or Profit under the United States, shall be eligible to the Office of President." 

Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese:
Why though? What exactly would be the benefit of it?

SteveRogers:
Nah, if their constituents are cool with their Senator/Governor shirking their duties to go run for President after less than a year in office, then then that’s between them and their voter, and the voters will get exactly the level of effective representation they deserve.

Хahar 🤔:
Quote from: Del Tachi on November 15, 2021, 02:46:06 PM

I believe this is actually a constitutional feature in many presidential systems.

This is the law in Mexico, which is how Ernesto Zedillo became president; when Luis Donaldo Colosio, the PRI candidate in 1994, was assassinated, Zedillo was eligible to replace him on short notice because he was Colosio's campaign manager at the time rather than an officeholder.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page