2020 United States presidential election but you only know Florida's result
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:57:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  2020 United States presidential election but you only know Florida's result
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2020 United States presidential election but you only know Florida's result  (Read 1459 times)
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 11, 2021, 11:29:53 AM »

How do you think the other results look?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2021, 03:30:03 PM »

I wouldn't be confident about the overall results.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2021, 03:39:59 PM »

I wouldn't be confident about the overall results.

At least the traditional swing counties going for Biden would be a good sign, but I don't know how good those showings looked.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2021, 05:07:01 PM »

I would have assumed Trump won re-election.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2021, 07:38:42 PM »

I would say Lean Trump but not assured.  If you showed me only FL and NC, I would be shocked Biden won. 
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2021, 07:41:36 PM »

I would have assumed that Trump won. I made the very wise choice of not watching the election night returns come in, so I didn't have to experience this in real-time, but if you thought I hate the state now...hoo boy! I can't even fathom how I'd feel if I did watch them.
EJ24
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2021, 07:05:12 PM »

I had no faith in Florida. Like zero. So it wouldn't tell me much at all.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2021, 07:18:05 PM »

I shouldn't have had any, but I foolishly bought into the idea that retirees would support Biden due to being against Trump's mishandling of the pandemic. In reality though the warning signs, specifically for Miami-Dade, were there the whole time and so was my gut telling me not to expect anything out of the state after the triple punch combo of 2000, 2016, and 2018. For that, I apologize to my gut, it was right all along and I have given up on this state, for real. I don't even think Democrats should bother with it anymore and use that effort on winning the other Trump-Biden states, North Carolina, and Texas instead.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2021, 01:27:33 AM »

I shouldn't have had any, but I foolishly bought into the idea that retirees would support Biden due to being against Trump's mishandling of the pandemic. In reality though the warning signs, specifically for Miami-Dade, were there the whole time and so was my gut telling me not to expect anything out of the state after the triple punch combo of 2000, 2016, and 2018. For that, I apologize to my gut, it was right all along and I have given up on this state, for real. I don't even think Democrats should bother with it anymore and use that effort on winning the other Trump-Biden states, North Carolina, and Texas instead.

To be fair, said idea was borne out by the non-Dade results (e.g., the Duval, Seminole, & Pinellas flips, plus the Villages swings). It's just that it was completely neutered by the massive Dade swing. If there's a Democrat out there who could replicate Biden's non-Dade performance & Hillary's Dade performance, then FL remaining in play would be very justified. If Biden had done so last year, then FL would've been closer than 2016 in terms of both raw votes & the margin, with the former being ~108K in this scenario compared to 2016's ~113K on lower turn-out, & the latter being <1% compared to 2016's 1.2% (i.e., closer than actual flips MI-2020 in terms of the former, & closer than PA-2020 in terms of the latter).
DPKdebator
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: 3.65

P P P

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2021, 10:17:14 AM »

Trump won Florida by the margin I predicted he would, although I didn't expect such a strong swing in Miami-Dade County. Given those results I probably wouldn't have changed my prediction.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2021, 10:23:15 PM »
« Edited: November 28, 2021, 08:29:27 PM by L.D. Smith, Ein Wissensjaeger im lockigen Haar »

Trump wins. He might even win the popular vote.
The Invincible Brent Boggs
kylebreth
Rookie

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2021, 05:33:08 PM »

Do we get to know the pre-election polling averages as well?
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2021, 06:18:01 PM »

Do we get to know the pre-election polling averages as well?
No
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2021, 10:54:49 PM »

Trump wins in my prediction.
Southern Reactionary Dem
SouthernReactionaryDem
Rookie
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2021, 02:40:29 PM »

I would think Trump cruised to an easy re-election. Some of the 2020 results don't make sense in my mind TBH.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2021, 10:29:00 PM »

I’d be very scared, but then my more logical mind would remind me that swings aren’t uniform, and looking at Florida in more detail one would see a Democratic swing outside Miami-Dade.  Biden flipping Duval and a couple other counties?  Hope!
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2021, 12:00:22 PM »

I would have expected Trump to win Arizona, Georgia, and one of Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin; such would have been a bare win by Donald Trump in the Electoral College  even if less than a majority in the popular vote.
The Invincible Brent Boggs
kylebreth
Rookie

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2021, 12:53:38 AM »

I would definitely guess that Trump won in that case; I would have expected Florida to be right of the tipping point, but not by 4 points like what actually happened. Of course, there would be a lot of uncertainty in predicting based on the results in one state (for example, imagine trying to guess the result in 2016 based on only Virginia).
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2021, 04:36:26 PM »

I would have assumed Trump won re-election.

This. Also depends on what you call 'results': just the margins, the raw votes, or the county by county results? If either of the first two then definitely Trump; if the third then most probably Trump.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2021, 09:31:19 PM »

To be fair, said idea was borne out by the non-Dade results (e.g., the Duval, Seminole, & Pinellas flips, plus the Villages swings). It's just that it was completely neutered by the massive Dade swing. If there's a Democrat out there who could replicate Biden's non-Dade performance & Hillary's Dade performance, then FL remaining in play would be very justified. If Biden had done so last year, then FL would've been closer than 2016 in terms of both raw votes & the margin, with the former being ~108K in this scenario compared to 2016's ~113K on lower turn-out, & the latter being <1% compared to 2016's 1.2% (i.e., closer than actual flips MI-2020 in terms of the former, & closer than PA-2020 in terms of the latter).
If Hispanic voters in FL behaved normally in 2020 in swinging a bit to the Dems like they did in 2012 and 2016; then Biden wins the state.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies