SB 105-13: Hubert H. Humphrey Helping Hand to the Homeless Act (Redraft Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:31:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 105-13: Hubert H. Humphrey Helping Hand to the Homeless Act (Redraft Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: SB 105-13: Hubert H. Humphrey Helping Hand to the Homeless Act (Redraft Passed)  (Read 2924 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 10, 2021, 10:08:22 PM »
« edited: December 18, 2021, 06:17:17 PM by Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee »

Hubert H. Humphrey Helping Hand to the Homeless Act

An act in the CONGRESS of the REPUBLIC of ATLASIA

Section 1. Purpose and Background

a. WHEREAS, Runaway and homeless youth flee conflict, abuse, neglect, or, increasingly, poverty in their homes. They have become disconnected from educational systems and the workforce and do not have the skills and financial resources to live on their own. The factors impacting youth homelessness are complex and differ from those impacting other homeless populations;

b. WHEREAS, Runaway and homeless youth who live on the street are victims of physical abuse, sexual exploitation, human trafficking, and crime in untold numbers. An estimated 300,000 youth are either victims or at risk of becoming victims of commercial and sexual exploitation each year, of which 60 percent of these victimized children are homeless; and

c. WHEREAS, Homeless youth tend to have started using drugs at a younger age, often before 15 years of age. Early drug use and abuse are predictive of serious adult addiction problems and long-term homelessness;

d. WHEREAS, Youth who "age out" of the foster care system are at an increased risk of homelessness, and represent an estimated 20 percent of the 20,000 youth who leave foster care and are currently homeless; and

e. WHEREAS, These youth are on the street because they feel there are no other options open to them; and

f. WHEREAS, Providing safe, stable, and permanent housing for runaway and homeless youth is a family, community, state, and national priority, and homeless youth are considered one of the unique populations in the homeless community.

e. WHEREAS, The future well-being of our state depends on the value we place on our youth and, in particular, on our actions to provide the most vulnerable young people in the state with opportunities to acquire the knowledge, skills, and abilities they need to find and maintain stable housing and to develop into healthy and productive adults;

f. WHEREAS, The COVID-19 pandemic is being felt by youth through high unemployment rates and increased demand for youth-centered care and mental health services, technology, and access to hygiene, food, shelter, and safety;

g. WHEREAS, The number of effective programs providing services and support to runaway and homeless youth must be increased

Section 2. Program establishment

a. The Congress of the Republic of Atlasia hereby establishes grants to provide nonprofit centers across the three regions in assisting homeless citizens
b. The grant amount shall be no less than $10,000,000 to community centers dedicated to fighting poverty stricken communities
Sponsor: Spark

The gentleman from Florida is recognized.
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2021, 07:11:50 AM »
« Edited: October 17, 2021, 12:35:17 PM by Senator Spark »

The need for this bill is clear, there are too many obstacles for our youth, especially those without a clear path. Youth who struggle due to crimes such as human trafficking are more likely to be homeless. This is something that this honorable chamber must address.

This bill will provide for subsidized grants from the federal government to regional centers dedicated to combating poverty. Providing sufficient funding for these centers and shelters enables us to combat this issue head on. It helps our young people to have a chance.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2021, 10:01:13 AM »

Section 2 could use more detail.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2021, 07:35:04 PM »

Yeah, there should be some definitions as to exactly who qualifies for these grants and what they need to do other than vaguely “help homeless citizens”.
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2021, 07:41:58 PM »

Yeah, there should be some definitions as to exactly who qualifies for these grants and what they need to do other than vaguely “help homeless citizens”.

Then offer an amendment Senator.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2021, 06:52:20 AM »

Why shouldn't you do it because you made the original bill?
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2021, 08:41:56 PM »

Those who qualify include those below the national poverty threshold. These grants must go toward poverty reduction services and community centers to combat homelessness.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2021, 06:06:49 PM »

Spark does an amazing job at establishing the need for a specific action in his first sections of bills, which I think is certainly a positive aspect towards improving legislation.

However, all that build up and then you get to get to section 2 and you are pumped for action and what do you see, a grant and some money.

I am not of a mind to discourage anyone, least of all in our present state, so I hope my words are taken as constructive analysis that it is, but the common feature that Spark needs to address going forward in legislation he offers is beefing up the content, interweaving a stronger utilization of existing agencies, modifying existing laws, providing more detail on implementation and administration and lastly, the budgetary aspects of how to fund it and when (with consideration for end of fiscal year and practicalities of introducing it immediately versus the next fiscal year as I have discussed frequently in the budget resolution thread).

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2021, 06:16:41 PM »

Why shouldn't you do it because you made the original bill?

Technically you both have a point.

1. Bill sponsors should take a great deal of responsibility for their bills and while in some cases it might be reasonable to rely on the contributions of others, at some point there is a line that is crossed where the relying on contributions of expertise (like PiT crafting the formulas for Scott and I on health care) and instead relying on others to formulate the basic structure. I wrote most all of the supporting regulations for the exchanges and the transitions from existing programs (Parts I and III of the text), while Scott broke Atlascare down into Medicare like Parts (and yes having the Bill divided into "Parts" and the program in Part II likewise divided into "parts" both referring to different things was a source of confusion that could have been easily solved by using a different term like say "Article" on my part (pun intended) but I digress), dove into drug pricing and etc.

2. At the same time while the above is certainly true, there should be a greater willingness to offer amendments to address concerns, issues and the like with regards to bills and in recent times we have seen a lot of this be neglected in the modern era, and while having creative input and feedback is always helpful and certainly preferable to the alternative (which is to say complete silence in a bill thread, we most certainly don't want that), "drive by sniping" is not a desiring long term model for people to respond to bills and in the past there was a far greater willingness to offer amendments than at present time.

So in some ways, you are both correct here.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2021, 12:27:48 PM »

Yankee said it best, really. The problem with these bills is the structure and lack of funding mechanisms. Zero perimeters as to who gets the money and how much. Will the regions adopt your plan? Will your region fund your plan? Should they be required to? Etc., etc., etc.

These are all things, in addition to what Yankee said, you need to keep in mind when establishing new government programs. For this bill, we need to define the poverty level. We need to know which departments are involved. We need some formula or some standards in order for a bill to become an effective law, rather than a list of vague platitudes. What about "nonprofit centers" that either embezzle or use 90% of their donations for marketing purposes? I understand we can't be expected to know every single law that's been passed (we ran into this problem just recently), but if it weren't for that $10,000,000, this would have been an empty resolution. It still needs beefing up. And it should be incumbent upon the sponsor, generally, to have some way to address these issues in legislation effectively. (In other words, don't make everyone do your work for you.)
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2021, 12:34:14 PM »

Spark does an amazing job at establishing the need for a specific action in his first sections of bills, which I think is certainly a positive aspect towards improving legislation.

However, all that build up and then you get to get to section 2 and you are pumped for action and what do you see, a grant and some money.

I am not of a mind to discourage anyone, least of all in our present state, so I hope my words are taken as constructive analysis that it is, but the common feature that Spark needs to address going forward in legislation he offers is beefing up the content, interweaving a stronger utilization of existing agencies, modifying existing laws, providing more detail on implementation and administration and lastly, the budgetary aspects of how to fund it and when (with consideration for end of fiscal year and practicalities of introducing it immediately versus the next fiscal year as I have discussed frequently in the budget resolution thread).

I appreciate this constructive feedback. IRL sure is a balancing act but I am committed to seeing this legislation through.
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2021, 12:35:34 PM »
« Edited: October 17, 2021, 12:53:28 PM by Senator Spark »

I'd like to offer the following additions to this bill:

Section 2. Definitions/Restrictions

a. A nonprofit center is defined as an entity that is not primarily focused on accruing profit but for a charitable or equitable cause
b. "Youth" shall be defined as a minor below the age of 18 who is in a transient state of living as reported by a family member, the community, or law enforcement.
c. A grant is defined as a sum of money allotted toward a specific purpose
d. Grants will be categorical and subject to restrictions. Grants may only be used for services related to homelessness such as housing acquisition, food preparation, and other necessities for living.
e. Grants may not be awarded for other purposes not related to directly aiding the youth homeless population.

Section 3. Qualifications & Program establishment

a. The Congress of the Republic of Atlasia hereby establishes grants to provide nonprofit centers across the three regions in assisting homeless citizens.
b. The grant amount shall be no less than $30,000,000 total for community centers in all regions; $10,000,000 to each region of Lincoln, Fremont, and the South. The grants are dedicated to fighting poverty stricken communities.
c. The poverty guideline shall be recognized as $12,880. Each Atlasian that is at or below this income level is eligible for the grants distributed by the nonprofit community centers.
d. This program will go into effect for the remainder of the 2021 fiscal year, with funding amounts set to be reviewed, renewed, or extended each fiscal year.
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2021, 12:49:16 PM »

Yankee said it best, really. The problem with these bills is the structure and lack of funding mechanisms. Zero perimeters as to who gets the money and how much. Will the regions adopt your plan? Will your region fund your plan? Should they be required to? Etc., etc., etc.

These are all things, in addition to what Yankee said, you need to keep in mind when establishing new government programs. For this bill, we need to define the poverty level. We need to know which departments are involved. We need some formula or some standards in order for a bill to become an effective law, rather than a list of vague platitudes. What about "nonprofit centers" that either embezzle or use 90% of their donations for marketing purposes? I understand we can't be expected to know every single law that's been passed (we ran into this problem just recently), but if it weren't for that $10,000,000, this would have been an empty resolution. It still needs beefing up. And it should be incumbent upon the sponsor, generally, to have some way to address these issues in legislation effectively. (In other words, don't make everyone do your work for you.)

I recognize that these bills need more detail, as I have been unaccustomed to doing funding sections because the House handled that previously. I will take this up and am in the process of updating the bill. I appreciate your swift and constructive feedback.

I just think it's best to have some input on the bill and not do all the work myself. You all should have a say in this process as well.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2021, 01:07:19 PM »

Senators have 24 hours to object to the amendment.

This is an improvement.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2021, 10:18:13 PM »

Is there a specific source for the $12,880 figure?
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2021, 05:13:49 AM »

Is there a specific source for the $12,880 figure?

Yes, that is the national guideline IRL.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2021, 11:12:50 PM »

I would guess the previous amendment is passed.

What is next on this bill?
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2021, 09:38:07 PM »

Unless Spark has something more to add or anyone else has an amendment I'll motion for a final vote.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2021, 10:57:14 PM »

Sigh.

24 hours to object.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2021, 11:33:05 PM »

Quote from: Current Text
Hubert H. Humphrey Helping Hand to the Homeless Act

An act in the CONGRESS of the REPUBLIC of ATLASIA

Section 1. Purpose and Background

a. WHEREAS, Runaway and homeless youth flee conflict, abuse, neglect, or, increasingly, poverty in their homes. They have become disconnected from educational systems and the workforce and do not have the skills and financial resources to live on their own. The factors impacting youth homelessness are complex and differ from those impacting other homeless populations;

b. WHEREAS, Runaway and homeless youth who live on the street are victims of physical abuse, sexual exploitation, human trafficking, and crime in untold numbers. An estimated 300,000 youth are either victims or at risk of becoming victims of commercial and sexual exploitation each year, of which 60 percent of these victimized children are homeless; and

c. WHEREAS, Homeless youth tend to have started using drugs at a younger age, often before 15 years of age. Early drug use and abuse are predictive of serious adult addiction problems and long-term homelessness;

d. WHEREAS, Youth who "age out" of the foster care system are at an increased risk of homelessness, and represent an estimated 20 percent of the 20,000 youth who leave foster care and are currently homeless; and

e. WHEREAS, These youth are on the street because they feel there are no other options open to them; and

f. WHEREAS, Providing safe, stable, and permanent housing for runaway and homeless youth is a family, community, state, and national priority, and homeless youth are considered one of the unique populations in the homeless community.

e. WHEREAS, The future well-being of our state depends on the value we place on our youth and, in particular, on our actions to provide the most vulnerable young people in the state with opportunities to acquire the knowledge, skills, and abilities they need to find and maintain stable housing and to develop into healthy and productive adults;

f. WHEREAS, The COVID-19 pandemic is being felt by youth through high unemployment rates and increased demand for youth-centered care and mental health services, technology, and access to hygiene, food, shelter, and safety;

g. WHEREAS, The number of effective programs providing services and support to runaway and homeless youth must be increased.

Section 2. Definitions/Restrictions

a. A nonprofit center is defined as an entity that is not primarily focused on accruing profit but for a charitable or equitable cause.

b. "Youth" shall be defined as a minor below the age of 18 who is in a transient state of living as reported by a family member, the community, or law enforcement.

c. A grant is defined as a sum of money allotted toward a specific purpose.

d. Grants will be categorical and subject to restrictions. Grants may only be used for services related to homelessness such as housing acquisition, food preparation, and other necessities for living.

e. Grants may not be awarded for other purposes not related to directly aiding the youth homeless population.

Section 3. Qualifications & Program Establishment

a. The Congress of the Republic of Atlasia hereby establishes grants to provide nonprofit centers across the three regions in assisting homeless citizens.

b. The grant amount shall be no less than $30,000,000 total for community centers in all regions; $10,000,000 to each region of Lincoln, Fremont, and the South. The grants are dedicated to fighting poverty stricken communities.

c. The poverty guideline shall be recognized as $12,880. Each Atlasian that is at or below this income level is eligible for the grants distributed by the nonprofit community centers.

d. This program will go into effect for the remainder of the 2021 fiscal year, with funding amounts set to be reviewed, renewed, or extended each fiscal year.

Senators, a final vote is now open on this bill. 72 hours to vote; please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2021, 12:03:13 AM »

Nay
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine