What GOP senators will try to overturn the election for Trump in 2024?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:55:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What GOP senators will try to overturn the election for Trump in 2024?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What GOP senators will try to overturn the election for Trump in 2024?  (Read 814 times)
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 10, 2021, 03:26:37 PM »

If Trump loses in 2024 what GOP senators will help him overturn the election, and who would say no?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2021, 03:56:11 PM »

I explained this here:

https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=466366.msg8287488#msg8287488

The question doesn’t work in a vacuum.  You have to imagine the details of what Congress is going to be asked to vote on.  Last time, there were no secretaries of state in Biden states who were willing to engage in shenanigans that would flip their state’s vote count to Trump.  But Trump is now trying to purge people like Raffensperger from the party.  So what if you have more Trumpy officials in Arizona or Georgia or wherever, and they engage in shadiness that leads to results being certified for Trump that neutral observers don’t think are legitimate, but that the officials in charge of those states claim are the “real” results, and so Trump gets those states’ electoral votes?

In that case, the “official” electoral vote nationally could be in favor of Trump, and so “overturning the election” in favor of Trump would “only” mean accepting the official results from those states that most people agree are actually fraudulent.  In that scenario, I think many more Republican Senators would go along with it than did last time around, when the circumstances were different.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2021, 01:33:12 AM »

Hawley, obviously, as well as Cruz, in the event that he didn't retire & get succeeded by Dan Crenshaw in TX-SEN 2024.
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2021, 02:47:24 AM »

All of them except one or two and they'll have a majority in '25 to throw the whole election out if they don't like it.

I bet that Susan Collins, now to the right of Lindsey Graham, expresses "deep concern about the sanctity of the election process" but ultimately votes to "recount the ballots" until her party's leader wins.  She knows where the bread is buttered now, and she's drifting rightward since the 2nd district has drifted rightward.  She also probably saw Paul LePage's victory which made her even more willing to reveal her more conservative views.

Mitt Romney and Sasse (will he still be in there?) may be the holdouts, but in a 55+ majority Republican Senate, who cares what they think?  Mitchie Poo will be in there so he can command the show from his recliner in the Strom Thurmond Senate Senior Living Center... all he needs is a remote control that says two things: "Obstruct and Filibuster" (if Dems ever get 50 seats + VP again) and "Hard Right Turn, Nuke the Libs" (the 99% of the time he'll be in the Majority Leader position).
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2021, 09:29:14 AM »

I'm not sure why you're acting like it's set in stone that Trump runs in 2024.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2021, 10:39:08 AM »

I'm not sure why you're acting like it's set in stone that Trump runs in 2024.

As somebody who believes that he ultimately won't pull the trigger on another run, I just took it as a hypothetical.
Vespucci
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2021, 11:44:53 PM »

If it's the same situation as 2020, I'd say the same 8 as 2020, plus potential Senators Brooks, Mandel/Vance, Walker, Greitens, and maybe Budd or Parnell. I could easily see RoJo or Blackburn switching sides as well.

On the other hand, if there are competing slates of electors, all bets are off. If McConnell sides with Trump, I think pretty much everyone but the impeachment voters (who might be reduced to just Sasse, Collins, and Cassidy), Moran, Capito, Thune, Rounds (who all rejected fraud claims in 2020), and a potential Senator Sununu/Ayotte would likely back Trump (and I'm not positive Moran/Capito/Thune/Rounds wouldn't either).
izixs
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.31, S: -6.51

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2021, 03:56:28 AM »

Don't know the specifics but 5-15 will independent of how close it is. If they can steal the election, then all of them necessary to do such will.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies