Interesting how Bill Clinton and Al Gore switched reputations with young voters
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:48:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Interesting how Bill Clinton and Al Gore switched reputations with young voters
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Interesting how Bill Clinton and Al Gore switched reputations with young voters  (Read 1385 times)
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2023, 08:20:48 PM »

I think people have kinda forgotten the whole Tipper Gore moral outrage against rap music and violent video games that he was associated with.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2023, 09:31:09 PM »

I think people have kinda forgotten the whole Tipper Gore moral outrage against rap music and violent video games that he was associated with.

In any case Gore is separated so Tipper Gore seems irrelevant.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2023, 09:46:51 PM »

Both have had a  considerably shorter half life of influence than one might have expected at their apogee, and I think if you asked both of them, in a moment of candor they would agree with me. Neither 50 years from now will be viewed as a significant figure in history, as opposed to in its ash heap.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2023, 10:06:08 PM »

Bill Clinton is probably the luckiest president in modern U.S history. I have to imagine being president in the 1990s is governing in easy mode

Why though?

I could have successfully managed the American economy in the late 1990s. The Tech Boom led to a virtual cruise control.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2023, 11:00:07 PM »

Clinton would be remembered extremely positively if not for his sex scandals.

The Recession of 2008 and the results of Glass-Steagall Repeal do not necessarily agree with this.  Also The Crime Bill. [Arguably the author escaped only by party-line towing and taking orders from Obama.]

The 1994 crime bill was needed at that time, Carter, Reagan and Bush did nothing to stop the 1970s-1994 crime wave, how do you think Riordan, Giuliani and Schundler got elected in blue cities?
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2023, 11:02:54 PM »

I think she is the reason why Al lost in 1988 and 2000. I personally feel Americans are personally socially liberal, but they wanted a socially conservative society.

Tipper is more conservative than her husband, she probably told Al to pick Joe Lieberman, he was a censorship guy like her.

There's probably a reason why Gore is not president.....
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2023, 05:22:19 AM »

I think she is the reason why Al lost in 1988 and 2000. I personally feel Americans are personally socially liberal, but they wanted a socially conservative society.

Tipper is more conservative than her husband, she probably told Al to pick Joe Lieberman, he was a censorship guy like her.

The trend of sharply falling crime had actually already begun, but they couldn't see into the future. In any case, most of the mass incarceration damage is done by state policy, not federal (and indeed was already at the peak). You can argue the federal government affected state attitudes though.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2023, 08:38:23 AM »

This thread's identified most of the trends responsible for the switch, but Epstein-related news also deserves a mention in tanking Clinton's popularity.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2023, 02:06:57 PM »

Jeb bush was the only reason why Gore isn't Prez he and Bush W were moderate not Maga that's why DeSantis is underwater and Trump v Biden they support 20 percent taxes for rich Bush W never passed a 20 percent Corp taxes he passed 40/35 that's Paul Ryan and Trump Maga

Edays aren't Republican anymore they are D it starts out with 303 and expand to FL and NC
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2023, 08:36:24 PM »

Bill Clinton is probably the luckiest president in modern U.S history. I have to imagine being president in the 1990s is governing in easy mode

Why though?
The economy was fairly good due to the tech boom especially in the later half of the 90s. The Soviet Union collapsed leaving America as the sole superpower in the world. His base of support was fairly diverse when he could get a 70% approval rating in the later point of his presidency without any sort of war( no politician has come close since then). He was fairly charismatic especially in a far less polarizing time compared to now ( or even compared to the 60s and 70s)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2023, 10:57:53 PM »

In the 90s, Bill Clinton was seen as a “cool” guy who played the saxophone while Gore was seen as the “stiff” husband of a censor. Now, Bill Clinton is seen as a “neoliberal” sell-out and while Gore is seen as an environmental hero.

To be fair young voters in the 90s and young voters now are different people. Young voters in the 90s are now in their late 40s-mid 50s, and that demographic still likes Clinton (at least the ones that don't support Trump).

Young voters now grew up with Bush's bad presidency, which increased support for the man he had 'stolen' the election from. Not to mention An Inconvenient Truth.

Correction: replace "young voters" in the second paragraph with "millennials in their 30."

People under 25 don't tend to know who Gore is. Or think of him like how we think of Hubert Humphrey.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies