Is hating marvel movies white nationalist propaganda?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:07:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Is hating marvel movies white nationalist propaganda?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Does hating marvel movies mean you are spreading white nationalist propaganda?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 34

Author Topic: Is hating marvel movies white nationalist propaganda?  (Read 1576 times)
Leroy McPherson fan
Leroymcphersonfan
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 08, 2021, 06:28:32 AM »
« edited: October 08, 2021, 06:40:57 AM by Leroy McPherson fan »

That’s literally what people believe these days.

Marvel movies are trash, and This is why nobody should ever take any anti trump person seriously.

They did this with the Star Wars Sequel haters as well.
https://rewritingripley.medium.com/in-plain-sight-how-white-supremacy-misogyny-and-hate-targeted-the-star-wars-sequel-trilogy-and-2fd0be4b242
Their allegiance is to corporations like Disney which pander to China.

Or when Vox said gamergate was responsible for the capitol riot.
https://www.vox.com/culture/2020/1/20/20808875/gamergate-lessons-cultural-impact-changes-harassment-laws
FT-02 Senator A.F.E. 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2021, 08:26:14 AM »

Go outside
Leroy McPherson fan
Leroymcphersonfan
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2021, 09:16:32 AM »

I am outside. Also, who voted yes?
President of the civil service full of trans activists
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2021, 09:23:00 AM »

No, but if it is, I guess I'm generally a white nationalist. I don't hate all superhero movies as a rule, but the MCU has never truly appealed to me in the way, say, Dreadnought or Captain Underpants or Into the Spider-Verse have. I think my problem is that I like superheroes, I just don't really like the commodified approach to Superheroes™ that seems to have taken theaters by storm since 2008.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2021, 05:58:40 AM »

Marvel movies are too bland to hate themselves, but their cultural influence on other non-Marvel franchises is starting to become genuinely cancerous.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2021, 11:14:38 AM »

I'm a centrist on the issue: I hate Marvel films, and I also hate YouTube commentary videos that last seven hours long about how WOKE IS DESTRYOING MUH COMIC BOOKS. Watch Shakespeare or something if you're an adult.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2021, 04:03:44 PM »

"Wokeness" has existed in films since at least the early 1990s in some form, even back then try to find an action film that didn't have the "women are actually much smarter than men" gag/trope. I sort of expect it and am immune to it by now. I feel like it's also caused people to overlook some good films. The "anti-feminist" backlash to the Last Jedi for example. While it's true the Laura Dern and "Rose" characters were useless and embarrassing, if you can look beyond that the film is a million times better than both JJ's films and the prequels.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2021, 04:26:24 PM »

"Wokeness" has existed in films since at least the early 1990s in some form, even back then try to find an action film that didn't have the "women are actually much smarter than men" gag/trope. I sort of expect it and am immune to it by now. I feel like it's also caused people to overlook some good films. The "anti-feminist" backlash to the Last Jedi for example. While it's true the Laura Dern and "Rose" characters were useless and embarrassing, if you can look beyond that the film is a million times better than both JJ's films and the prequels.

Revenge of the Sith is easily better than any movies in the sequel trilogy and while The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones are worse than The Last Jedi dialogue wise , at least it didn’t trash on Star Wars lore like the Last Jedi did .
AtorBoltox

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2021, 01:53:10 AM »

I hate Marvel, but it is eyebrow raising when someone does like Marvel films with the exception of Black Panther and Shang-Chi
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2021, 06:13:30 AM »

I think my problem is that I like superheroes, I just don't really like the commodified approach to Superheroes™ that seems to have taken theaters by storm since 2008.

It was absolutely there before 2008, but it wasn’t as polished. As bland as they usually are, I’m going to have to defend Marvel movies (specifically, the team-ups) as marginally better than your average superhero flick. It does have something to do with the ridiculous thread title.

The typical comic book movie promotes the idea of one strong man delivering the world. It’s a fun power fantasy with some avenues worth exploring, but it’s also no accident that the genre exploded in popularity post-9/11 along with a general rise in authoritarian sentiment. The superhero genre, to some extent, is Messianic indulgence for atheists and an indicator of low confidence in the power of communities to do good.

Marvel movies are incredibly formulaic and it’s obviously fine to hate them, but the Avengers franchise has one thing going for it that most comic book movies don’t: it celebrates the power of a group. Endgame is dumb fun about a family, and that is more interesting than the millionth origin story of Some Guy.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2021, 03:59:18 PM »

Disliking the Marvel movies as a whole? No.

Specifically disliking Black Panther, Captain Marvel, and Shang-Chi and thinking that they're somehow uniquely pandering or wokeness gone mad, then yeah that's a pretty racist/sexist thing to believe.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2021, 07:50:27 AM »

Specifically disliking Black Panther, Captain Marvel, and Shang-Chi and thinking that they're somehow uniquely pandering or wokeness gone mad, then yeah that's a pretty racist/sexist thing to believe.
Don't forget the Hulk because his skin is green and white nationalists wouldn't like that.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2021, 10:01:20 AM »

Opposing capesh**t can unite people across all political ideologies. If anything, it will bring Americans of all stripes together.
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2021, 10:58:28 AM »

I mean, Black Panther was pretty obvious pandering and all of the reviews which followed it are a testament to that.

I guess I'm just a "white nationalist" though ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Damocles
Sword of Damocles
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2021, 11:37:04 AM »

You mean you people have money and time to spend on Marvel movies?
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2021, 01:23:14 PM »

I mean, Black Panther was pretty obvious pandering and all of the reviews which followed it are a testament to that.

I guess I'm just a "white nationalist" though ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I mean, given some of the other stuff that you've said, I wouldn't be surprised.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2021, 06:31:10 PM »

I'm a centrist on the issue: I hate Marvel films, and I also hate YouTube commentary videos that last seven hours long about how WOKE IS DESTRYOING MUH COMIC BOOKS. Watch Shakespeare or something if you're an adult.

Found the white supremacist. Disrupt texts!
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2021, 10:09:04 PM »

I do think if someone spends 24 hours a day worshipping Marvel and then only hates the ones that are identical to all the other Marvel movies in every way except for the fact that a nonwhite person is the lead, then yeah they're almost certainly a racist. The fact that it's a semi-viable career choice to be an un-groomed fat man on YouTube screaming into a cheap webcam about how minorities ruined Avengers Part 5 Infinity War Part 1 is yet another sad indictment of "nerd culture" and how rotten it is.

But hating Marvel generally speaking is wonderful and there need to me more of us that oppose the MCU and its fandom.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2021, 08:48:49 AM »

Found the white supremacist. Disrupt texts!

Blame the free market if you want to find a culprit for the dumbing down of media.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2021, 07:30:22 PM »

It's popular to hate Marvel movies at the moment because it's popular to hate on things that are popular.

SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2021, 11:28:18 AM »

No adult should have any opinion on MCU movies, positive or negative. They're for babies. It's like hating on Dora. Yes, it's obviously garbage, but it's not going for anything better
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies