Can a man get pregnant
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:08:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Can a man get pregnant
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8
Poll
Question: Do you think a man can get pregnant?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 147

Author Topic: Can a man get pregnant  (Read 12314 times)
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: April 07, 2022, 06:09:29 PM »

I feel like it's high time this thread was locked.

way to ruin the fun, karen  Tongue
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #151 on: April 07, 2022, 08:53:16 PM »

Maybe in the distant future there will be people born functionally one sex and eventually become functionally the other sex. This could be in 50 years or 5000 years. The circumstances surrounding it’s passing are hard to predict. Not right now, though.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #152 on: April 07, 2022, 08:55:20 PM »

Men can't get pregnant. If a 'birthing person' gives birth, they are a woman. Trans men can be men, but they clearly aren't if they give birth to a child.

What is it about giving birth which meaningfully changes a person's gender?

What could be more quintessentially feminine than the experience of being pregnant & giving birth ?
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #153 on: April 07, 2022, 10:17:52 PM »

I'm aware you firmly believe that trans people don't exist (or whatever circumlocution you would use to say that), I was asking theflyingmongoose whose in-between position appears to be inconsistent.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #154 on: April 08, 2022, 10:09:12 PM »

I'm aware you firmly believe that trans people don't exist (or whatever circumlocution you would use to say that), I was asking theflyingmongoose whose in-between position appears to be inconsistent.

I don't believe my response was necessarily inconsistent with the idea that trans people exist.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #155 on: April 08, 2022, 11:18:38 PM »

Men can't get pregnant. If a 'birthing person' gives birth, they are a woman. Trans men can be men, but they clearly aren't if they give birth to a child.

What could be more quintessentially feminine than the experience of being pregnant & giving birth ?

As a transfeminine person, it breaks my heart that the feminine sacrality of that experience isn't available to me. However, reducing femininity to that is a dangerous antifeminist position that enforces the idea that people aren't anything more than their strict biological function. There's far more to feminine ideas and experiences than just being a baby factory.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #156 on: April 10, 2022, 02:10:50 PM »

As a transfeminine person, it breaks my heart that the feminine sacrality of that experience isn't available to me. However, reducing femininity to that is a dangerous antifeminist position that enforces the idea that people aren't anything more than their strict biological function. There's far more to feminine ideas and experiences than just being a baby factory.

You speak of "feminine sacrality" of the experience of pregnancy and birth while calling it "just being a baby factory" ?
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #157 on: April 11, 2022, 10:24:05 PM »

You speak of "feminine sacrality" of the experience of pregnancy and birth while calling it "just being a baby factory" ?

Said sacrality has been debased and commodified by patriarchy. Nuance, people.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #158 on: April 12, 2022, 12:28:06 PM »

Said sacrality has been debased and commodified by patriarchy. Nuance, people.

Not just the patriarchy though. One of my sisters is deep into what might be called the "female fertility movement" (and has herself given birth, if credentials are necessary) and she immediately despised the term "birthing person" for in her mind reducing the psycho-spiritual process of motherhood to a biological mechanism.
comfysarah
United States
« Reply #159 on: April 12, 2022, 05:50:06 PM »

no man has ever gotten pregnant or given birth and no man ever will. it’s a specifically and intrinsically female experience, and the most important and defining one at that.
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #160 on: April 12, 2022, 06:35:48 PM »

no man has ever gotten pregnant or given birth and no man ever will. it’s a specifically and intrinsically female experience, and the most important and defining one at that.
I hope uterine transplants become a thing just to see if you react with the ideologically consistent "okay, trans women who get uterine transplants are women" or the more likely "b... but he wasn't born a woman! That's not his uterus!".
If the former, are trans people the gender they say they are without the need for affirming fertility apparatuses, provided they fail to bear children? It's fine if we're not, I just want to gather information about your views.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #161 on: April 25, 2022, 10:40:37 PM »

I hope uterine transplants become a thing just to see if you react with the ideologically consistent "okay, trans women who get uterine transplants are women" or the more likely "b... but he wasn't born a woman! That's not his uterus!".
If the former, are trans people the gender they say they are without the need for affirming fertility apparatuses, provided they fail to bear children? It's fine if we're not, I just want to gather information about your views.

It's possible the argument comes from that if one has a child, they are 'surrendering' being male. Or, to put it in other terms, if one is truly transgender they wouldn't participate in cisgender things.
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #162 on: April 25, 2022, 10:56:38 PM »

It's possible the argument comes from that if one has a child, they are 'surrendering' being male. Or, to put it in other terms, if one is truly transgender they wouldn't participate in cisgender things.
"Cisgender things"?
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #163 on: April 25, 2022, 11:48:32 PM »

"Cisgender things"?

Traditional gender things, like childbirth for women for instance.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #164 on: April 25, 2022, 11:55:36 PM »

Oh look, this thread is back.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #165 on: April 25, 2022, 11:58:41 PM »

Atlas, multi-page threads about gender, name a more iconic duo than that.
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #166 on: April 26, 2022, 10:19:58 AM »

"Cisgender things"?

I get that, it just seems like a weird way of putting it, because just about everything in a 99% cis world is a "cisgender thing".
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #167 on: April 26, 2022, 12:12:40 PM »

"Cisgender things"?

I get that, it just seems like a weird way of putting it, because just about everything in a 99% cis world is a "cisgender thing".

All the more reason to discard "cisgender" as a term.
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #168 on: April 26, 2022, 12:46:41 PM »

"Cisgender things"?

All the more reason to discard "cisgender" as a term.
Okay, cisgender.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #169 on: April 26, 2022, 06:22:48 PM »

It hasn't reached 10 pages yet
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #170 on: April 26, 2022, 06:24:54 PM »

Give it a few hours, it might. This is Atlas, lol.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #171 on: April 26, 2022, 07:18:05 PM »

I'll be sure to get my popcorn ready.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #172 on: April 26, 2022, 07:20:35 PM »

So many words dedicated to so few
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #173 on: April 26, 2022, 09:03:12 PM »

Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #174 on: May 02, 2022, 11:23:02 PM »

"Cisgender things"?

What if, say, a trans man is forced to carry a child to term by the overturning of Roe v. Wade?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies