UT Sen 2022: McMullin vs. Lee (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:57:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  UT Sen 2022: McMullin vs. Lee (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: UT Sen 2022: McMullin vs. Lee  (Read 8669 times)
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« on: June 30, 2022, 05:56:37 PM »

I still think Mike Lee wins in November, but having McMullin in the Senate would be very interesting. He would prolly functionally be a pretty reliable R vote on most things but with notable opposition to their rhetoric, similar to Romney just more socially progressive ig.

Utah is very much politically homeless rn.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2022, 06:09:49 PM »

I still think Mike Lee wins in November, but having McMullin in the Senate would be very interesting. He would prolly functionally be a pretty reliable R vote on most things but with notable opposition to their rhetoric, similar to Romney just more socially progressive ig.

Utah is very much politically homeless rn.
Idk if it's just to appeal to democrats, but McMullin has basically campaigned as a moderate D this cycle, unlike in 2016 when he was a right-leaning independent.

Campaigned because he needs every D vote he can get, but in the Senate it'd be hard to survive re-election if he votes like a moderate D. If I were him, I'd campaign like a moderate D in Salt Lake and Summit Counties, which are a bit more politically "normal" with less of an influence by the mormon church and disaffected Rs, and in the rest of the state campaign as a libertarian alternative type to Trump. Doing dual campaigns l;ike this is really hard though cause it can lead to hypocracy and everything blows up in your face.

A reminder though in 2016 he and Clinton collectively got more votes than Trump, which proves there is more of an "anti" than pro Trump vote in the state, especially since then most demographic shifts have benefitted Dems. The issue is the anti Trump vote is not very unifiede and politically highly diverse.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2022, 11:14:56 AM »

Romney privately told Lee in a phone call that he would not be endorsing either him or McMullin.

If true, it’s prolly mean Romney is voting for Mullin quietly.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies