UT Sen 2022: McMullin vs. Lee
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:10:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  UT Sen 2022: McMullin vs. Lee
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Author Topic: UT Sen 2022: McMullin vs. Lee  (Read 8564 times)
Sub Jero
Rookie
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: April 15, 2022, 09:19:32 PM »
« edited: April 16, 2022, 12:29:30 PM by Sub Jero »

Before:
After

Sub Jero
Rookie
United States

« Reply #76 on: April 17, 2022, 08:12:35 PM »

Jacob Chansley endorsement
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #77 on: April 17, 2022, 08:18:44 PM »

We're gonna have to watch this race it's VBM if Betsy Johnson is competetive in OR McMillan can too
JMT

« Reply #78 on: April 23, 2022, 05:08:10 PM »

Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #79 on: April 23, 2022, 05:37:43 PM »

Just a reminder Evan mcmullin is a piece of garbage human being who completely stiffed his 2016 staff

Congrats to the Utah dems for throwing their support behind this loser

Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #80 on: April 23, 2022, 06:42:03 PM »

McMuffin is such a phony with no real principles.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #81 on: April 23, 2022, 10:10:30 PM »

Hilarious that the UT Dems are lining up behind a guy who will vote 90+% with the Republican agenda.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #82 on: April 24, 2022, 12:01:32 AM »

Hilarious that the UT Dems are lining up behind a guy who will vote 90+% with the Republican agenda.

His platform is actually similar to a moderate Democrat, so he probably would vote with the Democrats more and caucus with them. (He even has "avoiding unnecessary wars" as one of his priorities, which is fairly unusual for anti-Trump conservatives!)

He seemingly did a 180 on abortion, also. A Romney/McMullin delegation would just be the funniest thing.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #83 on: April 24, 2022, 12:10:44 AM »

Getting rid of any Establishment E that votes with McConnell is what Ds all about, just like Ron Johnson whom is the key to winning the S blocked the Jt Commission on Insurrection because he praised like Cruz Proud Boys and Josh Hawley abd Johnson won barely by 200K votes
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #84 on: April 24, 2022, 07:46:06 AM »

His platform is actually similar to a moderate Democrat, so he probably would vote with the Democrats more and caucus with them. (He even has "avoiding unnecessary wars" as one of his priorities, which is fairly unusual for anti-Trump conservatives!)

He seemingly did a 180 on abortion, also. A Romney/McMullin delegation would just be the funniest thing.

“passing balanced budget legislation” 🚩🚩🚩
JMT

« Reply #85 on: April 24, 2022, 07:48:13 AM »

I imagine McMullin won’t publicly state which party he will caucus with before the election (similar to what Angus King did when he initially ran for Senate in 2012). Given that he actively sought the Democratic Party’s endorsement, however (he spoke at their convention this weekend), I do think he’d caucus with Democrats if he won. I’m sure Mike Lee will push him on this, and probably will claim (in ads, debates etc.) that McMullin will just be another vote for Democrats.

McMullin’s actual voting record would be interesting if he won, though. Unlike Angus King and Bernie Sanders (who are essentially Democrats in terms of their voting records), I imagine McMullin would vote with Republicans a lot (perhaps even a majority of the time?).
Unelectable Bystander
« Reply #86 on: April 24, 2022, 08:12:34 AM »

I’m sick of this guy. I’m also tired of the term “principled republican”. Sure, some republicans have principles and some don’t. But whether or not you like orange man bad does not define your principles lol. These people still have principles they’re just different from yours
JMT

« Reply #87 on: April 24, 2022, 09:08:04 AM »

Well, apparently this question has already been asked. McMullin claims he would not caucus with either party:

Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #88 on: April 24, 2022, 09:58:02 AM »

Better than the guy who will support 100% of the agenda
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #89 on: April 24, 2022, 12:50:54 PM »

Well, apparently this question has already been asked. McMullin claims he would not caucus with either party:

So a Senator McMullin would have no committee assignments?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #90 on: April 24, 2022, 12:55:05 PM »

Better than a Quisling
Rat
Snickleton
United States

« Reply #91 on: April 24, 2022, 02:01:16 PM »

I wish Jon Huntsman was primarying Lee. He would be a huge upgrade for the state.
Stuart98
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -5.83

« Reply #92 on: April 25, 2022, 04:11:44 PM »

I wish Jon Huntsman was primarying Lee. He would be a huge upgrade for the state.
Huntsman already endorsed Lee. For all his superficial cultural liberalism, he's a conservative who rarely goes against the party line. He was talking about getting behind Donald Trump in 2016 before Super Tuesday even happened. If you expect Huntsman to do anything moderates or democrats would like beyond platitudes, prepare to be disappointed.
Rat
Snickleton
United States

« Reply #93 on: April 26, 2022, 03:08:18 PM »

Huntsman already endorsed Lee. For all his superficial cultural liberalism, he's a conservative who rarely goes against the party line. He was talking about getting behind Donald Trump in 2016 before Super Tuesday even happened. If you expect Huntsman to do anything moderates or democrats would like beyond platitudes, prepare to be disappointed.

He got behind Trump because Trump was the presumptive nominee. The writing was on the wall, and even then, he withdrew that endorsement after the Access Hollywood Tape came out.

Huntsman, as I said, would be a huge step up over Lee and, yes, would be more moderate. I'm not saying he would, or even should, be what Democrats want. He'd just be a more socially liberal Mitt Romney, which is right where I'd want him to be. I'm well aware he endorsed Lee already; I'm saying that I wish he hadn't, and had challenged Lee instead.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #94 on: April 26, 2022, 06:12:29 PM »

Eh. The Democratic name is what is weighing down their candidates the most. McMullin, while certainly not favored, could very well win the election.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #95 on: April 26, 2022, 07:48:17 PM »

The Democratic Party embracing McMullin and vice versa is telling for a lot of reasons. But it's most telling how little "anti-Trump conservative" means anymore. Policy literally doesn't matter anymore to these people in how they vote and coalition with people, they are willing to have completely opposite views on most issues, as long as they both believe "Trump is an existential threat to democracy" "The Republican Party endorses fascism" etc. Vague platitudes that continue the spiral of negative partisanship. Of all "former Republicans", somebody like Joe Walsh is best representative of this type of Trump derangement. I don't know if it's that bad with McMullin, but the fact he voted for Joe Biden and is willing to run against Mike Lee of all people tells me he cares more about being anti-Republican than the supposed principles he believes in.

As we've seen over the past 6 years and as we'll continue to see, this mindset and worldview represent at best 5% of voters (who aren't #votebluenomatterwho), but it is extremely overrepresented in the media and in elite circles. It's also extremely overrepresented on this forum. And that's why you have people here who think he has a real chance when it should be obvious he doesn't.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #96 on: June 27, 2022, 06:38:34 PM »

Updated the thread title, as "McMullin to announce soon" was a bit dated. Smiley
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #97 on: June 30, 2022, 04:11:17 PM »

ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #98 on: June 30, 2022, 05:56:37 PM »

I still think Mike Lee wins in November, but having McMullin in the Senate would be very interesting. He would prolly functionally be a pretty reliable R vote on most things but with notable opposition to their rhetoric, similar to Romney just more socially progressive ig.

Utah is very much politically homeless rn.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #99 on: June 30, 2022, 06:02:12 PM »

I still think Mike Lee wins in November, but having McMullin in the Senate would be very interesting. He would prolly functionally be a pretty reliable R vote on most things but with notable opposition to their rhetoric, similar to Romney just more socially progressive ig.

Utah is very much politically homeless rn.
Idk if it's just to appeal to democrats, but McMullin has basically campaigned as a moderate D this cycle, unlike in 2016 when he was a right-leaning independent.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies