If the Democrats lose power, will they ever regain it?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:00:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  If the Democrats lose power, will they ever regain it?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: It seems like they might not, given the horrendous 2024 Senate map and Republicans decertifying election results they don't like.
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 17

Author Topic: If the Democrats lose power, will they ever regain it?  (Read 634 times)
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 03, 2022, 05:41:06 PM »

I'm voting No.
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2022, 06:10:50 PM »

Of course they will.

Examples:

the Republicans after 1932
the Republicans after 1964
the Democrats after 1980, 1984, 1988...1994, 2004
the Republicans after 2008

Greg Walden said after 2014 that after such a big victory, the Republican House could be a "hundred-year majority" (they lost it four years later)

Elections can hurt.  But then you heal, learn, grow stronger, and eventually come roaring back when the timing and the conditions are right.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2022, 06:12:02 PM »

Of course they will.

Examples:

the Republicans after 1932
the Republicans after 1964
the Democrats after 1980, 1984, 1988...1994, 2004
the Republicans after 2008

Some silly R congressman said after 2010 that it could be a "hundred-year majority"

Elections can hurt.  But then you heal, learn, grow stronger, and eventually come roaring back when the timing and the conditions are right.

This time is different, though. Polarization is far stronger, and Dobbs isn't seeming to have an electoral impact at all. Plus the Supreme Court is more right-wing than it has ever been.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2022, 06:12:21 PM »

SnowLab, I say this in all seriousness: for the sake of your heart and mental health, you need to take a deep breath.  
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2022, 06:14:05 PM »

Yes, but they may not get another trifecta for years.

Or they might get in January 2025. We'll have to do a better job of campaigning going forward and not let ourselves be defined by the looniest elements of the party (or outside of it, often).
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2022, 06:18:15 PM »

You are definitely right about the 2024 map - it is ugly and with the current alignment in the states, Democrats really need to expand the map.  Due to the Senate elections being spread out by 6 years, it may take long to get enough states to build a majority.  Senate also is skewed towards smaller population states and also there are more solid red states than solid blue.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2022, 06:18:36 PM »
« Edited: November 03, 2022, 06:25:17 PM by Mr.Phips »

Yes, but they may not get another trifecta for years.

Or they might get in January 2025. We'll have to do a better job of campaigning going forward and not let ourselves be defined by the looniest elements of the party (or outside of it, often).

If they lose the senate this cycle, they wont get it back until at least 2028 or 2030 (if Biden is reelected).  Probably sometime in the 2030s in all likelihood given that Republicans likely get to 60 senators in either 2024 (if they win the presidency) or 2026 (if Biden is re-elected). 
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2022, 06:24:25 PM »

SnowLab, I say this in all seriousness: for the sake of your heart and mental health, you need to take a deep breath.  

Seconded.

I don't know many names on this forum despite being on here for over 10 years, but I knew who the OP was before I opened this post.

So to the OP: My dude, if you genuinely believe losing 25 house seats and like 2 senate seats is going to doom the 2 party system in America, you desperately need some perspective. Visit another country, hell, just read about some other countries. Or a bit of history. Anything really.

I suppose it could be a bit of trolling too, but i'll give him the benefit of the doubt.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2022, 06:26:23 PM »

Nothing lasts forever and you don't know what you have until its gone.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2022, 06:27:10 PM »

Seconded.

I don't know many names on this forum despite being on here for over 10 years, but I knew who the OP was before I opened this post.

So to the OP: My dude, if you genuinely believe losing 25 house seats and like 2 senate seats is going to doom the 2 party system in America, you desperately need some perspective. Visit another country, hell, just read about some other countries. Or a bit of history. Anything really.

I suppose it could be a bit of trolling too, but i'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

I think it’s the senate loss and the likelihood of not having the ability to confirm judges this decade (Clarence Thomas likely retires or passes this decade).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies