My church referred to tomorrow as "Indigenous Peoples Day" tonight!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:14:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  My church referred to tomorrow as "Indigenous Peoples Day" tonight!
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: My church referred to tomorrow as "Indigenous Peoples Day" tonight!  (Read 451 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 10, 2021, 06:10:37 PM »

Fitting! I was hoping he'd talk about Columbus Day being bad but he just ignored it entirely as people should!

And next week the topic shall be "The Future of Patriarchy", great and fitting!
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2021, 06:22:53 PM »

"Indigenous People's Day" ought to be renamed "F#ck Columbus Day," since that's all it pretty much is: just knee-jerk counter-reaction.

I've never seen a self-described celebrator of "Indigenous People's Day" do anything to actually celebrate indigenous culture. I've only seen "mock trials" of Columbus and anti-Columbus Day counter-protests.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2021, 07:22:17 PM »

Is Columbus Day an eastern thing? Growing up I never got the day off from school and I never knew any adults who had it off, either. As an adult it's never been a holiday for me. I'd barely even be able to tell you what part of the year it's in.
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2021, 07:23:21 PM »

F**k Christopher Colombus
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2021, 07:33:43 PM »

Is Columbus Day an eastern thing? Growing up I never got the day off from school and I never knew any adults who had it off, either. As an adult it's never been a holiday for me. I'd barely even be able to tell you what part of the year it's in.

It's not a big deal in the Midwest either. I don't even get the day off and I'm a federal contractor.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2021, 08:21:17 PM »

The disgraceful war on Italo-Americans continues.  Unamused
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2021, 10:16:46 PM »

The disgraceful war on Italo-Americans continues.  Unamused
LOL I kind of wonder if there's any Italian Americans at my church. Possibly not. (Of course this has more to do with them being so rare in the Midwest than anything else, I'm sure you'd find many at a similar church somewhere like New Jersey or Philadelphia because yes in Current Year many of them do convert.)
Biden his time
Abdullah
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2021, 10:48:46 PM »

"Indigenous People's Day" ought to be renamed "F#ck Columbus Day," since that's all it pretty much is: just knee-jerk counter-reaction.

I've never seen a self-described celebrator of "Indigenous People's Day" do anything to actually celebrate indigenous culture. I've only seen "mock trials" of Columbus and anti-Columbus Day counter-protests.

I've never seen a single real human person care either direction

It's just good to have a day off if you got it eh
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2021, 11:25:16 PM »

Government employees frequently did. I did. Though I think this year it's been traded for like the day after Thanksgiving or some such in Columbus.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2021, 02:14:46 AM »

Stop whining about Colombus Day every year.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2021, 09:02:07 AM »

Your woke card will be revoked soon.  Smiley
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2021, 11:25:02 AM »

I've literally never seen that before, have only seen people appreciating American Indian culture as well as our beautiful natural environment. Maybe you are just looking for things that will make you upset.
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2021, 11:46:44 AM »

I've literally never seen that before, have only seen people appreciating American Indian culture as well as our beautiful natural environment. Maybe you are just looking for things that will make you upset.

Nope. In fact I took it straight from the Wiki page:

It began as a counter-celebration held on the same day as the U.S. federal holiday of Columbus Day, which honors Italian explorer Christopher Columbus. Many reject celebrating him, saying that he represents "the violent history of the colonization in the Western Hemisphere"[4].

In 1992, the group convinced the city council of Berkeley, California, to declare October 12 as a "Day of Solidarity with Indigenous People" and 1992 as the "Year of Indigenous People". The city implemented related programs in schools, libraries, and museums. The city symbolically renamed Columbus Day as "Indigenous Peoples' Day" beginning in 1992 to protest the historical conquest of North America by Europeans, and to call attention to the losses suffered by the Native American peoples and their cultures through diseases, warfare, massacres, and forced assimilation.[12][13]

Especially since Native American activism has increased since the 1960s and 1970s, a variety of protests have been staged against celebrating Columbus Day.[25] These have included mock trials of Christopher Columbus in St. Paul, Minnesota,[26] and protests and disruptions of Columbus Day parades in the United States.[27]

It's all just bitching about Columbus. I was not able to find any instance of "Indigenous People's Day" on the Wiki page actually describing celebrations of Native cultures themselves, other than some tangentially-mentioned Berkeley "pow-wow" which was still primarily described as being in opposition to the celebration of Columbus Day. I'm not saying such genuine celebrations of Native culture don't exist, but if they're so rare not even Wikipedia can come up with an example, I think my point stands.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2021, 12:03:14 PM »

Has anyone heard of any push in Congress to rename it?  I haven't.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2021, 04:34:41 PM »

I've never seen a self-described celebrator of "Indigenous People's Day" do anything to actually celebrate indigenous culture.

My church did. The parts of the Mass (the Gloria, Sanctus, etc.) that many churches have in Latin were done in Mohawk, among other things. There was some woke stuff too--because, well, the plight of Indian Country is one of the situations to which some degree of wokeness is actually an appropriate response--but Columbus himself went completely without mention.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2021, 06:43:36 PM »

But Columbus brought the word of Jesus to the savages, BRTD. I thought spreading the good word was morally righteous.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2021, 06:57:46 PM »

But Columbus brought the word of Jesus to the savages, BRTD. I thought spreading the good word was morally righteous.
No he didn't, he brutalized and oppressed them for his material gain. The actual missionaries were the ones who reported his atrocities and actually got him removed from his post and sent back to Spain.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2021, 07:00:34 PM »

No he didn't, he brutalized and oppressed them for his material gain. The actual missionaries were the ones who reported his atrocities and actually got him removed from his post and sent back to Spain.

Both people/groups of people did both things at different points. Jorge Luis Borges's very first published short story begins by pointing out that even Bartolomé de las Casas wasn't as uncomplicatedly wonderful as would be convenient for people combing through history for heroes to believe.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2021, 07:01:18 PM »

have u guys ever seen that movie "indigenous" about the chupacabra
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2021, 07:18:57 PM »

Hm, sorry, but Columbus explicitly wanted to see the entire world converted to Christianity. Sounds like the two of you should be best buds!
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2021, 07:29:24 PM »

Hm, sorry, but Columbus explicitly wanted to see the entire world converted to Christianity. Sounds like the two of you should be best buds!
That's like saying Hitler wanted to convert the whole world to Christianity* so all Christians should like him. Columbus' main achievements were just death and destruction and like Hitler many Christians opposed him.

*This is of course not even remotely true or something with any basis in reality whatsoever but it's still a commonly used talking point by neckbeard types who love grasping at straws and out of context statements to "prove" it, Hitler was in fact not someone who approved of Christianity at all and actually was hoping it would be exterminated in the long term and replaced with some type of pagan church. But even if it was true it would still be downright ridiculous to expect Christians to support Hitler because of it.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2021, 07:41:09 PM »

I've never seen a self-described celebrator of "Indigenous People's Day" do anything to actually celebrate indigenous culture.

My church did. The parts of the Mass (the Gloria, Sanctus, etc.) that many churches have in Latin were done in Mohawk, among other things. There was some woke stuff too--because, well, the plight of Indian Country is one of the situations to which some degree of wokeness is actually an appropriate response--but Columbus himself went completely without mention.
Well yeah it goes without saying that it would be hard to find someone in the 15th century who would be seen as morally impeccable by modern standards, much like how people react in shock to the fact that Abraham Lincoln doesn't seem flawless when judged by modern standards either. And of course reality has more nuance too, in the other side Ferdinand and Isabella aren't the cartoonish villains in regards to Inquisition as it's often portrayed although some of the ones below them like Torquemada were. But the fact is Columbus was still an exceptionally bad guy even judged by the standards of his time, and the reactions of most of his contemporaries shows this. And also the fact that he was largely an obscure historical figure as a result until Italians wanted some sort of hero, even though Columbus wasn't Italian either nor did his voyages or colonies have anything to do with any predecessor to the Italian state.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2021, 07:17:47 AM »

And also the fact that he was largely an obscure historical figure as a result until Italians wanted some sort of hero, even though Columbus wasn't Italian either nor did his voyages or colonies have anything to do with any predecessor to the Italian state.

A bit late but this is... lol. I dislike him too but you don't have to make stuff up. Cristoforo Colombo was certainly quite renowned ever since his exploration and much before the creation of modern Columbus Day and its association with Italian Americans - when and by whom do you think the District of Columbia, Columbus (OH), Columbia (SC) and the nation of Colombia among others were founded? He was also definitely Italian (even though he indeed never worked for any predecessor of the Italian state) unless you have some bizarre theory for why Genoese people are not Italian.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies