2012 Election Game-McCain victory, A NewYorkExpress and GoTfan election game (Signup thread).
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:32:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  2012 Election Game-McCain victory, A NewYorkExpress and GoTfan election game (Signup thread).
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: 2012 Election Game-McCain victory, A NewYorkExpress and GoTfan election game (Signup thread).  (Read 2043 times)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 04, 2021, 08:43:17 AM »
« edited: October 16, 2021, 04:45:23 PM by NewYorkExpress »

John McCain's win against scandal scarred John Edwards, even as Iraq, and the economy were falling apart at the seams was a massive upset. However, McCain's successes did not extend downballot, as Democrats gained a second straight wave.

Over the next two years, the economy continued to struggle, and while Republicans picked up the Governor's mansion in Virginia behind the strong campaign of Bob McDonnell, Democrats held the New Jersey Governor's mansion as Jon Corzine won reelection.

Then, in 2010, Democrats scored their third straight cycle with gains in Congress, picking up a handful of seats in the House, and multiple Senate seats, in addition to multiple Governor's mansions.

McCain's struggled to have any major successes in either Domestic or Foreign policy, as what little stimulus he could agree on with the Democratic Congress has had no effect, the troop surge in Iraq and Afghanistan has dangerously overstretched the United States Army, and Democrats in Congress refused to give McCain's nominees to replace John Paul Stevens and David Souter on the Supreme Court hearings, leaving the Court with seven justices indefinitely.

The rules for the game are as follows:

We will be using the IRL 2012 Republican Primary calendar. Any contest that is a beauty contest (awarding no delegates, like Missouri) on that calendar will instead have the corresponding number of delegates awarded at the Republican and Democratic Convention be available on that date.

Primaries and caucuses, except where otherwise stated, will be following the Democratic Primary system of proportional delegate representation, with a 15% minimum threshold to qualify for delegates.

The game will tentatively begin on September 1, 2011, however I am open to suggestion on an earlier or later date.

There are no limits on endorsements. When applying for endorsements, please include both myself, so I can approve them or not, and GoTfan, so he can keep track of who has which endorsement. Some endorsements, such as The Des Moines Register and the New Hampshire Union Leader will be reserved for the turn before the Iowa Caucus and New Hampshire Primary. They will endorse one candidate per primary, and they are first come, first serve.

If President McCain is not selected by any player, he will not endorse until there is a nominee.

Turns will be three days, or when all players have completed their turns, whichever comes first.

Available Players (Republicans)

President John McCain

Vice President Sarah Palin- iBizbee

Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison- MyCool

Former Governor Jeb Bush

Representative Michelle Bachmann

Governor Rick Perry

Secretary of Commerce Mitt Romney

Former Governor George Pataki

Any other Republican who was eligible to run in 2012

Available Players (Democrats)

Senator Barack Obama-Jakobisgood

Senator Hillary Clinton-AshtonShabazz

Secretary of Homeland Security Joe Lieberman

Senator Bernie Sanders - NOTTYLER

Governor Andrew Cuomo

Governor Deval Patrick

Senator Joe Biden

Former Governor Tim Kaine

Senator Kathleen Sebelius

Senator Sherrod Brown

Any other Democrat who was eligible to run in 2012

Oprah Winfrey-iBizbee

Senator Joe Manchin- CentristRepublican

Available Independent Candidates

New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg-Ishan

Any other Independent who is eligible to run in 2012
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2021, 05:24:43 PM »

Sent you a PM.  Cheesy
OSR STANDS WITH PALESTINE
NOTTYLER
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2021, 08:41:55 PM »

Democrat Trump or Senator Sanders
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2021, 04:26:28 AM »

I'm inclined to grant Sanders right now, if only because I believe Trump's few political views would be more conducive to running as a Republican.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2021, 07:49:57 AM »

Mike Bloomberg.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2021, 09:28:21 AM »

Granted
NOTTYLER
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2021, 11:10:25 AM »

I'm inclined to grant Sanders right now, if only because I believe Trump's few political views would be more conducive to running as a Republican.

I’ll take Sanders then
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2021, 11:11:45 AM »

I’ll take Sanders then

Already noted.
NOTTYLER
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2021, 11:15:48 AM »

Have an endorsement question
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2021, 06:14:27 PM »

Can I play as Governor Joe Manchin (D-WV) in the Democratic primaries?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2021, 06:19:13 PM »
« Edited: October 05, 2021, 06:22:53 PM by NewYorkExpress »

Manchin is granted (though I'd appreciate it if you or someone else was willing to play as McCain, Palin or another Republican).

Also, Manchin is currently in the Senate, as he was elected in the special election after Robert Byrd's death
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2021, 12:57:03 PM »

Manchin is granted (though I'd appreciate it if you or someone else was willing to play as McCain, Palin or another Republican).

Also, Manchin is currently in the Senate, as he was elected in the special election after Robert Byrd's death

If I'm allowed to take Palin in a sort of Populist route; I'd be down to give her a shot instead of the character I messaged you about? Seem's like that may be better for the game.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2021, 01:06:06 PM »

If I'm allowed to take Palin in a sort of Populist route; I'd be down to give her a shot instead of the character I messaged you about? Seem's like that may be better for the game.

That would be preferable to me.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2021, 01:45:09 PM »

We're waiting on at least one more Democrat and one more Republican before I start the gameplay thread.
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2021, 01:47:05 PM »

Vice President Palin Announces Presidential Campaign in DC Address

In an address that has been expected for at least the last few days; as tension and rumors had been building in Press Circles and throughout the White House, where the VP hadn't been seen in nearly over three weeks -- Vice President Sarah Palin addressed a small crowd of supporters surrounded by family, high ranking members of her Vice Presidential staff and supporters. In an address given directly from the Official Residence of the Vice President; Number One Observatory Circle, she remarked on her service in the McCain administration however strongly broke with the President on his failure to secure victory in Afghanistan or pass critical domestic legislation that would provide relief to Americans in this difficult economic period.

'I told John; I said John, you let me in there -- you put me and Nancy in a room for one night, give me the tools and the leverage and I'll come back with a deal. Now listen folks, I have a great deal of respect for the man President McCain once was -- but with our enemies running unchecked overseas and our hard working men and women getting the -- excuse my language, piece of crap deal they're getting here at home, we need a fighter in the White House. The President and I have strong disagreements on where this country needs to go; on how to fight our enemies overseas and about how our party, for that matter, should fight for our values and principles here at home. And with all due respect to the President, I've been roadblocked and shunned at every turn when I try to fight for hard working American's in this administration. -Palin is visibly frustrated- It seem's like the establishment just doesn't like it when ordinary; hard-working, every day American's come to DC to give them a piece of our mind! -Crowd Cheers-

With that in mind; I accept the challenge of a tough fight, and at a crucial hour for our country I have made my decision -- I am running for President of the United States!

Palin took a few questions from the press after the rally; clarifying she had spoken with the President on the phone only a few minutes before the event, out of courtesy. She clarified that she would still be available for all duties as Vice President through her Chief of Staff, the esteemed Ann Coulter. 'I'll be available whenever the President needs me or my duties as Vice President should call, of course.'. The Vice President has announced the formation of Palin for President / America Forward Committee's in all fifty states and has said her first rally will be in Nashua, NH tomorrow evening. She will arrive via Air Force Two and has said she will earnestly be addressing Americans of every political persuasion in making a case for her Presidency.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2021, 01:50:02 PM »

A reminder that, as iBizbee has done, announcement speeches go on this thread.
NOTTYLER
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2021, 07:23:45 PM »

Feel the Bern 2012

theguardian.com/us-news/2015/oct/11/bernie-sanders-drones-counter-terror

Montpelier, Vermont
Big news out of Montpelier today, as independent Senator Bernie Sanders announced his campaign for the democratic nomination for President of the United States. The 70 year old senator took to the podium to announce his campaign. With a campaign headquarters opening in Burlington, Vermont and campaign manager David Plouffe. Sanders gave an impassioned speech about why he’s running, as well as calling his campaign a “political revolution”.

Excerpt from Senator Sanders’ speech
Hello. My fellow Citizens of Vermont. And my fellow Americans. I’m here today to announce that… I’m running for President! *crowd cheers*. Honestly, I never imagined I’d be up here saying this. But. Many people from Vermont have come to me. They say to me “Bernie” they say “look. Look around. Millions of Americans not being able to afford healthcare. Millions of young Americans struggling getting into college. Someone needs to do something.” And they’re right. Someone does. I’ve represented Vermont in many ways. But it’s not enough. It’s not! And these people are right. Many Americans are struggling. Many need help. Right now, in this country, the top one percent control everything. Healthcare rates are ridiculous. College is far too hard to get into, and many working Americans are not working at a living wage. The politicians, including this administration, are not doing the necessary things. They’re not standing for our environment. For our youth. For the average working man. America, a political Revolution is coming, and they’re going to Feel The Bern! Thank you all, and together we can all do this!”

Senator Sander’s website went up shortly after and donations began coming in. The site includes his full platform. He’s also not taking donations from big donors and lobbyists.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2021, 05:33:38 PM »

Right now, I'm waiting for any players who have not posted their announcement speeches to do so.

If no one does so by Thursday or Friday, the gameplay thread will go up then.
Mycool

Political Matrix
E: -4.58, S: -6.52

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2021, 07:04:22 PM »

Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison Announces Presidential Bid

jsc2011e070272 by NASA Johnson, on Flickr

Houston Chronicle

In 2010, it was widely speculated that the senior Senator from Texas, Kay Bailey Hutchison would challenge incumbent Governor Rick Perry in a primary. However, Hutchison bowed out, choosing instead to endorse candidates both in and out of Texas, with a particular focus on recruiting and supporting women and minority candidates in primaries. This activity during the midterms had pundits speculating the Senator was gearing up for either a primary challenge against President McCain or planning a run in 2016. That speculation was brought to an end with a speech in Houston, following Vice President Palin's announcement that she, not President McCain would be running in the Republican primary.

"I have said it before and I will say it again, I'm not a moderate, I'm a fix-it conservative. I believe in the Second Amendment, I believe that taxpayers are better stewards of their money than the government, and I believe that we owe it to the millions of immigrants that came here legally to secure our border. What I don't believe is that a conservative has to be reactionary or obstructionist in order to be a conservative.

I think Washington needs more fix-it conservatives. We have a hostile relationship between Congress and the Executive, with gridlock now the norm. This has meant that Washington hasn't delivered to the American people, we have no solutions for the economic crash, no solutions in the Middle East, and a Supreme Court with two missing justices. Enough is enough.

Houston, I'm here today to announce I'm running for the Republican nomination for President of the United States. Americans don't need more of the same, lip service to causes with no record to back it up. We need a President who can broker deals and bring results not excuses. I hope you'll join me!"

After her announcement, Senator Hutchison announced the formation of Get America Back to Work/Kay Bailey Hutchison for President with office openings in Texas, Iowa, New Hampshire, South Carolina, Florida, and Nevada, with plans to expand to all 50 states.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2021, 07:08:37 PM »

Okay. I'm going to wait until tomorrow evening for Centrist Republican and Ishan to post their announcement speeches before getting started with the gameplay thread.

In addition, owing to the low number of players, player entry will remain open, provided you either PM me first, or state which candidate you wish to run as here.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2021, 07:10:55 PM »

Also, sometime tomorrow, I will be posting, on this thread, the results of the 2009 elections, and the 2010 midterms.
NOTTYLER
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2021, 07:11:15 PM »

Okay. I'm going to wait until tomorrow evening for Centrist Republican and Ishan to post their announcement speeches before getting started with the gameplay thread.

In addition, owing to the low number of players, player entry will remain open, provided you either PM me first, or state which candidate you wish to run as here.

Sounds good…. I’m waiting for some democratic opinions. Also, will there be primary debates?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2021, 07:34:47 PM »

Sounds good…. I’m waiting for some democratic opinions. Also, will there be primary debates?

Yes, but likely not on the first on the first turn.

I haven't decided what format they'll take yet, or if Democrats and Republicans will debate at the same time, or if they'll alternate.
NOTTYLER
United States

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2021, 08:18:38 PM »

I haven't decided what format they'll take yet, or if Democrats and Republicans will debate at the same time, or if they'll alternate.

Sounds good, are we gonna proceed with only two candidates on each side?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2021, 08:27:12 PM »

Sounds good, are we gonna proceed with only two candidates on each side?

Yes, however signups will remain open indefinitely.

If you are willing to search for players who are able to sign up, please do so (as either Democrats or Republicans).

Turns will likely also be longer temporarily to account for the lack of players. I was originally planning for three day turns, but they will likely be week long turns now instead.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies