Cao/OSR October 2021: A Place for All in Atlasia (Thank You — Till We Meet Again)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:53:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Cao/OSR October 2021: A Place for All in Atlasia (Thank You — Till We Meet Again)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Cao/OSR October 2021: A Place for All in Atlasia (Thank You — Till We Meet Again)  (Read 2267 times)
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 30, 2021, 10:29:38 PM »
« edited: October 25, 2021, 12:01:51 AM by Lincoln Senator Joseph Cao »

[Bloomington–Normal, Illinois]

Good evening to my fellow Atlasians, to my dear friends and all the people in this beautiful nation of ours.

As we speak, the other side of the world is hanging on the brink of an international crisis that has been discussed at length elsewhere. People have asked me why foreign affairs weigh so heavily on my mind and lead me to pursue them in Congress (often alongside my colleague the Vice President) more forcefully than almost anyone in the past couple of years. I will get to that in due course. To begin with, however, these kinds of events remind us of the presence we exert as a nation. The role we play on the world stage matters a great deal for the fate of our country, not least because of what our history means to the world. The Founding, the revolution, the Civil War, Bloody July and the Fourth Constitution – that tells a story. A story that is still unfinished, true, but it is now incumbent upon us to continue the story in the vein that this political experiment has set for us.

It is a story that matters just as much to those abroad as those here, and so its realization needs to be seen here if it is to have any credibility abroad. What can be seen as we turn from abroad to look at these fair shores? A nation still brimming with potential, and a game which I believe can still yield that potential to those who look for it. If activity is low, if the usual functions of the game are drying up on the vine, it is our place to change that. If there are crises at home and abroad, it is the job of our Congress and our regions and, yes, our executive branch to face them.

We don’t need to lose all of that for want of people to do the jobs, especially in the executive branch, where there is an opportunity like no other for a visible and guided leadership on behalf of the people of this great nation. Not when opportunities exist to provide healthcare that keeps our people well cared for and continues to be the envy of the world; to bring our nation’s security and economy firmly into the new century with all the boundless possibilities it offers; to safeguard the lives and livelihoods of our fellow Atlasians in every conceivable form necessary.

All this is an uphill battle, but this game never got anywhere by shying away from uphill battles and neither have I. I’m running for president because that battle needs to be fought.

These elections have a place too, partly as barometers of our national health. For the game’s sake – if it is to make a full recovery – October must be a full and forceful repudiation of the malaise of the past few months. Insofar as that is possible I want to make this an election we can all be proud of. My campaign, as I’m sure others have learned to expect, will be a clean one, and even if it were the case that the fireworks earlier this year enlivened the game far beyond its current state, I would like to take an alternative path. Scott and Battista are good friends and good folks whose contributions have made the game better; all I hope is that the same can be said for myself and those with me.

Because that is ultimately a realization we must all make, one that already exists even if we have not acted on it to its fullest extent: there is a place for everyone. For the people of this nation in whatever they do; for leadership from the top in Nyman, for honest work in Congress, for regional leaders who are conscious of the needs of their states and regions. I would not be here today if there had not been realization after realization, by many different people, of this fundamental part of how Atlasia has grown and how it can move forward.

My parents moved from one country to another in their search for security, as their parents did before them, and I owe my position here this evening to all the times and places around the globe where we have found it – the very last of which was here in the good old Republic of Atlasia. I will stand for the work and hopes and ambitions of them and the millions more like them in our nation, so that Atlasia can continue to be the beacon it has been for people the world over.

Lincoln is my home, and I will stand for the people of this region as we face one of the most consequential decisions we will make in the five-odd years of our existence; for this union and the hope that it provides.

Atlasia, this nation and this collection of incredible people, can still come alive, and as long as we are here I and my party and the people who support it will stand for the good of our fellow citizens. There’s a place for us all in Atlasia, for the parts of the game we can play, for new players and new opportunities in the new year ahead.

And if you believe that too, I hope you’ll join me on this campaign. We have work to do.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2021, 10:52:21 PM »

Endorsed
UlmerFudd
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.17

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2021, 11:31:34 PM »

Endorsed
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2021, 01:00:01 AM »

Endorsed
reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.10, S: 4.96

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2021, 01:22:23 AM »

Endorsed
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2021, 08:44:33 AM »

What are your thoughts on LT and his actions?
Fmr. Representative Encke
Encke
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2021, 11:24:50 AM »

Endorsed
Biden his time
Abdullah
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2021, 01:02:16 PM »

Endorsed!
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2021, 01:14:55 PM »

Endorsed
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2021, 02:17:23 AM »

What are your thoughts on LT and his actions?

What LT did post-election was indefensible, as I told him so in no uncertain terms when they happened, including the attempts at post-election memeing which I voiced my heavy disapproval of both publicly and privately (just the same as the recent memeing that we're currently being dragged to the voting booth to entertain). That is all obvious. What he's said to Scott in the past has also caused Scott a great deal of hurt that probably will not be repaired for a long time, if ever, and that did not have to happen. I wish that had not happened, both for Scott's sake and for the sake of the game. That's on LT.

It is also a fact that in a strictly personal capacity LT and Scott quite obviously need to work something out based on all that's happened, however little interest they have shown in doing so in public. As much as I wish we could, nobody can force them to kiss and make up if they don't want to: not me; not you, Weatherboy; not anyone in either the Feds or Labor. It's LT's job to fix the bridges he burned with other Atlasians, and I am speaking in both the personal and legal sense at this point. It certainly is not the job of myself, yourself, or anyone else to wrench the wound open over and over and keep that from ever happening, because I don't think this animosity will ever resolve itself if its flames keep being fanned like this. Forgiveness is a two-way street: if LT fully acknowledges and apologizes for what he did it also falls to the people he's wronged to accept the apology. Unfortunately neither side seems inclined to do what they need to do.

Atlasia is a small game. It is impossible to ignore the personal aspect of the game, and if you want a healthy game, you don't go around elbowing people and you don't decide to keep on elbowing others because someone elbowed someone else. I need to hear that just as much as anyone else. That is part of why I'm running the way I am.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2021, 12:05:51 PM »

On the one hand, LT is a criminal who has repeatedly made out-of-bounds personal attacks against users inside and outside the game, but on the other hand several people don't like him because of that, so fault on both sides, imo.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2021, 04:58:42 PM »

Endorz
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2021, 05:08:28 PM »

Your "both-sides" approach to LT's actions and your blatant carpetbagging of the Lincoln election should leave many people very hesitant to support you. I say this as someone who has given you a high pref in the past and would have considered doing so again.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 2.43

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2021, 06:42:01 PM »
« Edited: October 03, 2021, 06:48:34 PM by Secretary wxtransit »

Actually I think I will say something about this. I wanted to keep my thoughts private because I am simply so done with this situation but as you all are reading this I have obviously decided otherwise. This block of text won't take my more classic polished block of text style so bear with me.

I respect Cao quite a lot, in part because we are close politically and in part because I very much appreciate effort in this game and he clearly goes the extra mile. I say this so it is clear I am not coming from some place of harbored discontent -- in fact of those who supported the DA's LT resolution, I was probably the most conservative member and the most on the fence, and even after the resolution's passage, I still want (ed?) to see the opposition's relations repaired.

That being said, Cao's most recent speech makes it clear to me that the Federalists want to project an image of moderation while not rousing LT too much either. Exactly why the Feds want to have it both ways isn't clear to me, perhaps there are worries of a caucus split if the line is taken too hard on LT or maybe LT holds too much weight in the party. However, it is clear nonetheless that the Feds' strategy for the LT situation is to address it from a point of "would you look at that, that guy did something I or the party would never condone and is clearly acting alone...next question." LT received no punishment for his egregious actions (not even a censure?) and the Feds are hoping it no longer becomes an issue as time progresses.

Perhaps they are right, and perhaps the DA might have removed ourselves from the veepstakes for the foreseeable future (let's be honest, Labor would never have a joint DA candidacy either because ooooh scary DA), but seeing that the Feds are taking this approach leads me to think we made the right call. LT's actions weren't just Discord drama, he literally tried to dispute the election and has ""barred"" a presidential candidate from coming to his region. Memes or not, those actions carry weight.

This narrative came to a head for me when reading the last part of Cao's speech. Particularly this line:
Forgiveness is a two-way street: if LT fully acknowledges and apologizes for what he did it also falls to the people he's wronged to accept the apology. Unfortunately neither side seems inclined to do what they need to do.

Forgiveness isn't a two-way street if the street hasn't been paved in the first place. LT has not showed an inkling of moving towards an apology. Equating the justified disgust people like Scott have had to LT to LT's lack of an apology is frankly appaling. He made highly insensitive comments and while I am of the belief that one should always forgive when wronged, that does not mean one has to become buddy buddy and make up, ESPECIALLY when it is not being offered in ANY way by the other side. Scott/Weatherboy/etc don't "need" to do anything publicly to "make up" with LT. It's LT's job to come to the table first, he was the one who wronged. Plain and simple.

Also, "forgiveness is a two way street" seems to suggest to me that Scott/Weatherboy/etc wronged LT somehow. Hopefully I'm just reading that wrong. But if I'm reading that right...what?

This speech combined with the greater sentiment from non-LT Fed leadership with this hands-up "oh what can we do, it's just LT!" mentality that shows disgust on one hand and does nothing to punish it on the other is going to make the Federalists increasingly farther from the few swing voters like me who pay attention that they are trying to keep to their side with both ways mentality in the first place.

What I say may not matter in the end anyway though, to be honest. Such few swing voters are outvoted by the zombies. The Feds may win this election, without the DA and without actually doing anything about LT, and if they do I have a feeling nothing will change. But if the Feds keep losing perhaps there's now another reason than just "Labor's so dominant we're discouraged." Maybe the Feds are right that this becomes a non-issue very soon. But you lost some good friends in the DA loyal to the opposition cause through this debacle, and if the LT issue does somehow find a way to stay salient, you will probably lose some more.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2021, 07:51:20 PM »

your blatant carpetbagging of the Lincoln election should leave many people very hesitant to support you.

He has spent literally his entire career registered in Lincoln and he is GOTVing zombies who have always been registered in Lincoln.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2021, 08:20:56 PM »

your blatant carpetbagging of the Lincoln election should leave many people very hesitant to support you.

He has spent literally his entire career registered in Lincoln and he is GOTVing zombies who have always been registered in Lincoln.

I am more referring to his M.I.A. status on this and any other recent Lincoln issue until he realized he could use this to inflate his perceived political capital for the presidential run. But the opportunism, along with the LT appeasement, has scuppered much of the goodwill he once held across the aisle.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2021, 09:15:15 PM »

Forgiveness is a two-way street: if LT fully acknowledges and apologizes for what he did it also falls to the people he's wronged to accept the apology. Unfortunately neither side seems inclined to do what they need to do.

Excuse me, Representative, but where was this sincere apology and acknowledgement of wrong doing offered by LT? And even if that were to happen, it takes more than mere words to mend the wounds caused by this particular character...surely hesitancy regarding his non-existent apology would be more than reasonable given the situation, no?
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2021, 10:19:45 PM »

Cao is a good man. FF.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2021, 10:34:04 PM »

Actually I think I will say something about this. I wanted to keep my thoughts private because I am simply so done with this situation but as you all are reading this I have obviously decided otherwise. This block of text won't take my more classic polished block of text style so bear with me.

I respect Cao quite a lot, in part because we are close politically and in part because I very much appreciate effort in this game and he clearly goes the extra mile. I say this so it is clear I am not coming from some place of harbored discontent -- in fact of those who supported the DA's LT resolution, I was probably the most conservative member and the most on the fence, and even after the resolution's passage, I still want (ed?) to see the opposition's relations repaired.

That being said, Cao's most recent speech makes it clear to me that the Federalists want to project an image of moderation while not rousing LT too much either. Exactly why the Feds want to have it both ways isn't clear to me, perhaps there are worries of a caucus split if the line is taken too hard on LT or maybe LT holds too much weight in the party. However, it is clear nonetheless that the Feds' strategy for the LT situation is to address it from a point of "would you look at that, that guy did something I or the party would never condone and is clearly acting alone...next question." LT received no punishment for his egregious actions (not even a censure?) and the Feds are hoping it no longer becomes an issue as time progresses.

Perhaps they are right, and perhaps the DA might have removed ourselves from the veepstakes for the foreseeable future (let's be honest, Labor would never have a joint DA candidacy either because ooooh scary DA), but seeing that the Feds are taking this approach leads me to think we made the right call. LT's actions weren't just Discord drama, he literally tried to dispute the election and has ""barred"" a presidential candidate from coming to his region. Memes or not, those actions carry weight.

This narrative came to a head for me when reading the last part of Cao's speech. Particularly this line:

Forgiveness isn't a two-way street if the street hasn't been paved in the first place. LT has not showed an inkling of moving towards an apology. Equating the justified disgust people like Scott have had to LT to LT's lack of an apology is frankly appaling. He made highly insensitive comments and while I am of the belief that one should always forgive when wronged, that does not mean one has to become buddy buddy and make up, ESPECIALLY when it is not being offered in ANY way by the other side. Scott/Weatherboy/etc don't "need" to do anything publicly to "make up" with LT. It's LT's job to come to the table first, he was the one who wronged. Plain and simple.

Also, "forgiveness is a two way street" seems to suggest to me that Scott/Weatherboy/etc wronged LT somehow. Hopefully I'm just reading that wrong. But if I'm reading that right...what?

This speech combined with the greater sentiment from non-LT Fed leadership with this hands-up "oh what can we do, it's just LT!" mentality that shows disgust on one hand and does nothing to punish it on the other is going to make the Federalists increasingly farther from the few swing voters like me who pay attention that they are trying to keep to their side with both ways mentality in the first place.

What I say may not matter in the end anyway though, to be honest. Such few swing voters are outvoted by the zombies. The Feds may win this election, without the DA and without actually doing anything about LT, and if they do I have a feeling nothing will change. But if the Feds keep losing perhaps there's now another reason than just "Labor's so dominant we're discouraged." Maybe the Feds are right that this becomes a non-issue very soon. But you lost some good friends in the DA loyal to the opposition cause through this debacle, and if the LT issue does somehow find a way to stay salient, you will probably lose some more.

I should be clear about the wording here. In no way am I suggesting that people should make up with LT without him apologizing first, the first part of my response made that pretty clear: he needs to take action to start mending the bridge, not anyone else. It’s because those actions carry weight that there is an imperative for him to do so.

Apologies do need to be accepted though, if they are to actually do any good in mending relations; that’s the two-way part. And it’s clear Scott would not accept an apology (with good reason) if it were not sincere, and moreover that – as the President and others have said – a mere apology from him isn’t likely to cut it with the people that it needs to reach. What I am getting at is a genuine apology needs to come from LT himself; it will not come from us pushing him to the table because that would only yield a half-hearted apology that everyone would be at least justified in dismissing out of hand. My disappointment with all this lies mostly with the fact that that seems unlikely to ever come no matter what any of us do.

I think that answers Sev’s question too, because I have not said at any point that LT has apologized, and while he really needs to do that I really doubt in the current atmosphere that anyone would accept it even if it was a sincere one.

As far as moderation goes, I’ve always taken that tone – that’s nothing new. If I am appearing to have it both ways it’s because, on a personal level and entirely removed from whatever the parties are doing, I want the game to get out of this urination contest between LT and everyone else.

I am more referring to his M.I.A. status on this and any other recent Lincoln issue until he realized he could use this to inflate his perceived political capital for the presidential run. But the opportunism, along with the LT appeasement, has scuppered much of the goodwill he once held across the aisle.

Oh, believe me, I have had plenty to say about Lincoln's issues in the past. My office is proof of that. And I'd happily say them all again.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2021, 10:44:58 PM »

I should be clear about the wording here. In no way am I suggesting that people should make up with LT without him apologizing first, the first part of my response made that pretty clear: he needs to take action to start mending the bridge, not anyone else. It’s because those actions carry weight that there is an imperative for him to do so.

Apologies do need to be accepted though, if they are to actually do any good in mending relations; that’s the two-way part. And it’s clear Scott would not accept an apology (with good reason) if it were not sincere, and moreover that – as the President and others have said – a mere apology from him isn’t likely to cut it with the people that it needs to reach. What I am getting at is a genuine apology needs to come from LT himself; it will not come from us pushing him to the table because that would only yield a half-hearted apology that everyone would be at least justified in dismissing out of hand. My disappointment with all this lies mostly with the fact that that seems unlikely to ever come no matter what any of us do.

I think that answers Sev’s question too, because I have not said at any point that LT has apologized, and while he really needs to do that I really doubt in the current atmosphere that anyone would accept it even if it was a sincere one.

As far as moderation goes, I’ve always taken that tone – that’s nothing new. If I am appearing to have it both ways it’s because, on a personal level and entirely removed from whatever the parties are doing, I want the game to get out of this urination contest between LT and everyone else.

Oh, believe me, I have had plenty to say about Lincoln's issues in the past. My office is proof of that. And I'd happily say them all again.

This still sounds like you are making out LT to be a victim in some way, or at least that the people he wronged are themselves in the wrong. To say you think they wouldn't accept an apology, "even a sincere one" places the victims in an accusatory position.

Moreover, an apology isn't enough. It's clear the governor needs to go to trial and let the justice system decide what consequences if any he should face. After another prosecutor was unable to complete it, I have been granted the responsibility to make the People's case and will be bringing it this week after the elections are over.
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2021, 10:49:37 PM »

Who does Crane Husband think he is? Why does he think his opinions matter?
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2021, 10:51:52 PM »

This still sounds like you are making out LT to be a victim in some way, or at least that the people he wronged are themselves in the wrong. To say you think they wouldn't accept an apology, "even a sincere one" places the victims in an accusatory position.

Moreover, an apology isn't enough. It's clear the governor needs to go to trial and let the justice system decide what consequences if any he should face. After another prosecutor was unable to complete it, I have been granted the responsibility to make the People's case and will be bringing it this week after the elections are over.

…no? I don't think they would be in the wrong, necessarily, for taking the stance that an apology wouldn't be enough. You don't think so; I'm not making a judgment of whether you or anyone else is in the right or wrong for that stance. I'm making an observation about how high tempers have run recently and the viability of lowering them.

And LT, I'm not exactly buddy-buddy with Crane but he has a right to voice an opinion which I disagree with.
Politics Fan

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2021, 11:26:08 PM »

What in your opinion should be done about the individuals that refuse to take the COVID vaccine assuming that we see COVID-19 continue to spread among this group? What ultimate lessons do you believe we should take from the pandemic and the various responses that we’ve seen in Atlasia and around the world?

At what point if any should someone’s personal character and actions 
disqualify them from earning your vote? Would you ever support someone you disagreed with less on the issues over personality and or personal character?

Lastly without commenting on any on going potential cases do you believe conduct on atlas  related discord servers such as LOKcord  should ever result in individuals facing criminal charges based on their conduct?
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2021, 02:03:31 AM »

You have my endorsement--not because of your statements regarding me since this campaign isn't about me (you can even post something unequivocally condemning my behavior and I won't give a damn), but because only you are the candidate in this race who can actually revive the game and make Atlasia a place for all. Electing the left over and over again and keeping their stranglehold on power in place prevents the game from actually being played as it is meant to be played.

Scott has no ideas beyond managing the decline currently in our federal government. Labor has run out of ideas and it's current up and coming bench have done nothing to deserve the power that their machine has the votes to elect them into. Scott will not unify this nation. We have a great opportunity in electing Cao, a truly nicer and more respectable man than the previous couple of Fed nominees. For those who slander Cao for taking on too much moderation, I'll just say that it's a signal that any Fed no matter how good they behave will be treated the same as those you deem to be our worst. This means that going forward the Feds will only harden in our resolve to fiercely resist the left even more and I'll have no incentive to play nicely at all going forward. If you want to sow the catalysts of real life polarization, that is what you're going to get. If you want nice, sane, and respectable, then Cao needs to win. If you want the crappy status quo, then vote for Scott.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2021, 02:24:01 AM »

I'll have no incentive to play nicely at all going forward.

Have fun on the terror watch list.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies