How did Massachusettes go from Puritan colonists to having an Episcopalian elite? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:32:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  How did Massachusettes go from Puritan colonists to having an Episcopalian elite? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How did Massachusettes go from Puritan colonists to having an Episcopalian elite?  (Read 1557 times)
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« on: September 29, 2021, 05:36:40 AM »

The shift of New England WASPs, especially among elites, from Puritanism (later Congregationalism) to Episcopalianism is something I've wondered about as well. A key factor certainly has to be the decline of orthodox Calvinist and Trinitarian Congregationalism in the late 18th and early 19th Centuries in favour of Unitarianism especially in urban areas and educational institutions. I suspect the American upper class adopting a lot of the cultural practices of the European, especially English upper class in the Gilded Age played a role as well. I'm reading WASPs by Michael Beran and he points out how Episcopalian ritualism drew many converts among Boston Brahmins in the late 19th Century.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies