Could a Muslim flight attendant refuse to serve alcohol on a flight and be protected from firing? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:15:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Could a Muslim flight attendant refuse to serve alcohol on a flight and be protected from firing? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Could a Muslim flight attendant refuse to serve alcohol on a flight and be protected from firing?  (Read 1646 times)
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« on: September 30, 2021, 01:31:48 PM »

I think the most reasonable thing to do would be to not fire the Muslim flight attendant, but yes move that flight attendant to flights where alcohol is not served.  Or have the flight attendant politely explain to passengers that she does not serve alcohol - either because of a religious objection (which I don't think really needs to be publicized) or a phony excuse, that only one flight attendant can serve booze and then to say that she will tell that flight attendant what their order is and she will serve it.  Kinda convoluted but that is the best course of action... regardless of the religion - if the flight attendant didn't want to serve alcohol, let's say because they had been abused at the hands of an alcoholic as a child, then reasonable accomodations should be made.
  No need to fire perfectly good workers for things like this!
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2021, 07:39:03 PM »

I think the most reasonable thing to do would be to not fire the Muslim flight attendant, but yes move that flight attendant to flights where alcohol is not served.  Or have the flight attendant politely explain to passengers that she does not serve alcohol - either because of a religious objection (which I don't think really needs to be publicized) or a phony excuse, that only one flight attendant can serve booze and then to say that she will tell that flight attendant what their order is and she will serve it.  Kinda convoluted but that is the best course of action... regardless of the religion - if the flight attendant didn't want to serve alcohol, let's say because they had been abused at the hands of an alcoholic as a child, then reasonable accomodations should be made.
  No need to fire perfectly good workers for things like this!

I mean, it seems kinda stupid that serving alcohol would be against her religion, but telling another person to serve alcohol wouldn’t be.

When it comes to religion, I guess it's best to have a broad interpretation - like that baker in Colorado, the antigay one - I mean nobody can physically force the guy to bake a rainbow wedding cake ... I mean, it's awfully heavy-handed of the state to push that on him, but he should at least concede that he is a business that only serves people who subscribe to his religious interpretation of the Bible.... but I do not agree he should get a special exemption from a state anti-discrimination statute just because he doesn't support gay marriages.  It comes down I suppose to whether the First Amendment protects the right to NOT engage in speech, and the Court ruled that baking a cake was speech.... I think it was the right ruling, but I hold the baker from Colorado in no high regard either.  He gets his victory, but I wonder if that man took away anything from it... He views himself as the victim of persecution, but maybe he should check out Jesus' teachings a little bit more... he claims to be a Christian but he's going down in history for excluding a whole group of people because of a deep-rooted prejudice.  Not the way I'd want to be remembered.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies