"How voter suppression laws hurt White people" (article)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:51:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  "How voter suppression laws hurt White people" (article)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "How voter suppression laws hurt White people" (article)  (Read 331 times)
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 25, 2021, 01:25:16 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/25/politics/voter-suppression-white-people-blake/index.html

I don't know about this but I am convinced that the voter suppression laws will on balance hurt the GOP slightly more than Dems, for the same reasons that Dems did better in the 2018 midterm than the 2020 race.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2021, 12:01:39 AM »

Hopefully this will teach the GOP to focus more on issues improving people's lives than voter suppression. Wait who am I kidding, it won't.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2021, 12:03:00 AM »

Hopefully this will teach the GOP to focus more on issues improving people's lives than voter suppression. Wait who am I kidding, it won't.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2021, 12:03:50 AM »

If Georgia’s law is Jim Crow 2.0 , I wonder what Canada’s mail rules are :

https://www.thestar.com/amp/politics/federal-election/2021/09/10/voting-by-mail-its-not-easy-as-you-might-think.html

You have to apply to get your mail-in ballot for the federal election. And then there’s the ballot itself. Mail-in ballots are also known as special ballots, and are different from those ballots used on election day. They take more work to fill out and submit.

The more familiar election-day ballot has a list of candidates, along with their party if applicable, and a voter checks the box beside a name. Anyone mailing in their vote gets a ballot with no names and a place to write in their choice of candidate — writing in the party name won’t be accepted by Elections Canada. Plus, there is a series of envelopes that must be used in a specific order to submit a mail-in ballot.
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2021, 12:05:58 AM »

You've already used this once today.

Look at my Economic PC score. It's further right than OSR, and nobody complains about him not being a Republican.

I just happen to be very vocal in my opinion that the Republican party is not focusing on those issues, but are instead turning into a theocratic, rural, populist party.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2021, 12:09:01 AM »

Uhh, no I didn't, and I presume someone else did it.

Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2021, 12:09:21 AM »

Look at my Economic PC score. It's further right than OSR, and nobody complains about him not being a Republican.

I just happen to be very vocal in my opinion that the Republican party is not focusing on those issues, but are instead turning into a theocratic, rural, populist party.

Your politics are spot on.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2021, 02:07:53 AM »

That is news to me lol
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2021, 02:18:51 AM »

https://www.thestar.com/amp/politics/federal-election/2021/09/10/voting-by-mail-its-not-easy-as-you-might-think.html

You have to apply to get your mail-in ballot for the federal election. And then there’s the ballot itself. Mail-in ballots are also known as special ballots, and are different from those ballots used on election day. They take more work to fill out and submit.

The more familiar election-day ballot has a list of candidates, along with their party if applicable, and a voter checks the box beside a name. Anyone mailing in their vote gets a ballot with no names and a place to write in their choice of candidate — writing in the party name won’t be accepted by Elections Canada. Plus, there is a series of envelopes that must be used in a specific order to submit a mail-in ballot.

Pretty sure Canada doesn't also remove people from the voter rolls by requiring a flier that looks like campaign material rather than something that looks like official mail. Also Canada has a singular national standard for voting that all places must abide by, rather than each area changing their voting laws when the current ones become inconvenient.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2021, 04:08:27 AM »

Obviously, not all poor, disengaged people are minorities or Democrats. Voter suppression is morally disgraceful since we want to encourage as many people as possible to vote, higher turnout should be the goal itself not partisan advantage.
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2021, 01:05:15 PM »

Look at my Economic PC score. It's further right than OSR, and nobody says he is not a Republican.

That is news to me lol

Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2021, 01:31:57 PM »

Apples to oranges. First of all, Georgia has a century-long history of trying to disenfranchise voters. It is the reason why it was chosen to be included in section 5 of the Voter Rights Act. At least to my knowledge no province of Canada had to have judicial oversight when implementing new voter laws because they have a history of trying to disenfranchise voters.

Second, nothing happens in a vacuum. You can not in good faith say that the majority GOP state legislature coincidently passed a new voter law less than a year after they lost the state for the first time in nearly 30 years.

It is clear what their intentions were and going on with the "people just don't understand" line is disingenuous when the clear undeniable fact is that the GOP is passing laws like these across the nations because they feel that more people voting will negatively affect them politically.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2021, 01:34:04 PM »

Apples to oranges. First of all, Georgia has a century-long history of trying to disenfranchise voters. It is the reason why it was chosen to be included in section 5 of the Voter Rights Act. At least to my knowledge no province of Canada had to have judicial oversight when implementing new voter laws because they have a history of trying to disenfranchise voters.

Second, nothing happens in a vacuum. You can not in good faith say that the majority GOP state legislature coincidently passed a new voter law less than a year after they lost the state for the first time in nearly 30 years.

It is clear what their intentions were and going on with the "people just don't understand" line is disingenuous when the clear undeniable fact is that the GOP is passing laws like these across the nations because they feel that more people voting will negatively affect them politically.

Returning to how things were like in 2019 is not voter supression
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2021, 01:36:48 PM »

We will see, right? If turnout stays good, then we had nothing to worry about but even if these shenanigans swing some races in a more liberal direction, it would still be wrong.
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2021, 02:19:06 PM »

We just had one of the highest turnouts here in years why do things that take that a step back?
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2021, 09:41:21 PM »

For now, the GOP ideology is simply government of the rich-and-powerful, by the rich-and-powerful, and for the rich-and-powerful once and for all. This hurts poor white people just as much as it hurts poor black people, and should poor whites get wise to this, then the South will vote as it did in 1976 except in one state: Virginia, which is no longer "Southern" and somehow voted for Gerald R. Ford.

Jerry Ford may not be the greatest President we ever had, but he was overall a good person (much unlike Donald Trump) and would have never made Trump's mistakes. 
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2021, 06:21:51 PM »

We just had one of the highest turnouts here in years why do things that take that a step back?

Because your state voted wrong, and taxes and regulation are bad. Duh!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies