AOC fanbase implodes after "present" vote for Israel's Iron Dome, AOC cites Dems "ignored her"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:53:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  AOC fanbase implodes after "present" vote for Israel's Iron Dome, AOC cites Dems "ignored her"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: AOC fanbase implodes after "present" vote for Israel's Iron Dome, AOC cites Dems "ignored her"  (Read 1127 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2021, 09:46:41 AM »

Here's a theory:

I think it's more she wanted to vote no but then cracked under pressure. Although yeah she did so in the worst possible way and if that's true shows she's not getting elected to higher office.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2021, 09:48:27 AM »

It's a horrible response tinged with "the sinister Jews in my district forced me to vote against my conscience and I really wish I had gotten to vote for leaving Jewish children undefended". It's also word salad that will please no one. She deserves all the blowback she gets for this, especially from the scum-vultures she gleefully courted. Something something leopards-eating-faces party.

That was never going to happen and you know it.

If the US dropped $1B of funding, Israel would pay that $1B themselves. And if they won't do that, maybe they don't value the lives of their children as much as they claim to.

Well, sure. But that's not what she wanted. Remember, she's called for a total arms embargo on Israel, meaning they would legally not be allowed to buy the interceptor missiles they need from the US, even with their own money paid to defense contractors.

So that might not have been what the vote was about, but I'm not about to give her a pass on her evil little heart's desire.

Even if that ever were to happen which it obviously never will, France and the UK are also both fully capable of manufacturing those missles and would have zero qualms selling them.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2021, 11:53:23 AM »

Here's a theory:

I think it's more she wanted to vote no but then cracked under pressure. Although yeah she did so in the worst possible way and if that's true shows she's not getting elected to higher office.

I said this on Twitter, but I don't even consider it a smart gambit from that front. Assuming she's thinking about primarying Schumer next year, which people keep bringing up, he's popular and well-engaged with the voters. She has zero chance to peel off moderate and center-left voters against him, and equivocating on Iron Dome won't help her. Her only real chance is to energize the left and swamp him with turnout and aggression from the base (which is still a very long shot).

My assumption is that she's just not very good at political strategy.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2021, 12:04:41 PM »

And where is the GOP condemnation of Massie?
Unlike the Dems who have widely mocked AOCs dumb move, the GOP is SILENT.
The GOP SWAMP would nuke Israel the SECOND they found it politically expedient!
Democrats care about Israel, Republicans want to destroy it.
Protect our allies! MAGA!
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2021, 12:38:39 PM »

I'm not AOCs biggest fan, and I'm not AOCs biggest hater. I wish more representatives voted present or abstain or whatever more often. I also wish twitter would shut the  up.

Middle ground is an acceptable position when you represent a diverse community, more people need to be able to appreciate that.

I’m so used to being on the inside of a Dem circular firing squad. It’s weird for me to see people who support Palestine savaging AOC when’s she’s been as effective an advocate as any and they can’t afford to lose any advocates.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2021, 12:59:42 PM »

And where is the GOP condemnation of Massie?
Unlike the Dems who have widely mocked AOCs dumb move, the GOP is SILENT.
The GOP SWAMP would nuke Israel the SECOND they found it politically expedient!
Democrats care about Israel, Republicans want to destroy it.
Protect our allies! MAGA!

I mean, Massie's been a running nuisance for the party from back when my avatar was still blue, and the party would love to be rid of him. But he also didn't go to the media and try to turn this into a battle for the soul of the party like AOC and Tlaib did, so it makes sense he's getting less flack.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2021, 02:01:18 PM »

This is the sad but inevitable consequence of building a brand as a social media star who takes the leftist firebrand stance on every single issue. Eventually there will come a vote that you just can't take the principled stand on if you want to survive.

I expect there's a lot of schadenfreude in the Democratic House caucus right now.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2021, 02:18:21 PM »

Remember folks, the Democratic establishment is a pack of idiots who suck at politics.  The only way the party can win is to hand over the reigns to the new generation, with their bold, invigorating political tactics and fresh, inspiring ideas.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2021, 02:31:11 PM »
« Edited: September 25, 2021, 02:34:19 PM by lfromnj »

I'm not AOCs biggest fan, and I'm not AOCs biggest hater. I wish more representatives voted present or abstain or whatever more often. I also wish twitter would shut the  up.

Middle ground is an acceptable position when you represent a diverse community, more people need to be able to appreciate that.

Middle ground is definitely ok in a lot of scenarios. However its incredibly cringe to vote middle ground on an issue you tear up over and really wanted to vote no on.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2021, 09:31:39 PM »

Bowman and Pressley are the best out of the squad. Fwiw Bowman actually voted yea on iron dome funding and while I disagree, at least he isn't fence sitting.

My congressman also voted present yet got no pushback.

Bowman and Pressley are both playing the long game, and I wouldn't be surprised if we find one or both of them in the Senate some day, or at the very least holding some higher political office. I'm not so confident about Ocasio-Cortez. She still has much to learn about how Washington works.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2021, 10:34:22 PM »

Middle ground is definitely ok in a lot of scenarios. However its incredibly cringe to vote middle ground on an issue you tear up over and really wanted to vote no on.

AOC, a/k/a Sandy Cortez,exposed herself for the object of ridicule she ought to have been all along.  She's not an adult; she's a child (and an affluent one at that) who never has accepted the fact that her choices will have consequences just like any other pol.

Now if I were a Leftist registered Democrat in the Bronx or Queens I wouldn't hold that vote against Sandy Cortez.  Only 9 folks voted against the resolution and Sandy Cortez has been a good little Leftist, so I couldn't be too out of shape.  But her crying, sniveling and weaseling after voting "present" with all of her sniveling, whining arguments about process issues is enough to induce barfing in the most rational of souls.  No one likes a coward and Sandy Cortez revealed herself to be a coward on that vote.  While the rest of the Squad voted "no", they were up front in their hatred of Israel and love for the Palestinians who are complaining because they waged war against Israel and lost.  Good for them for not being phony.  Lots of other Democratic hacks who hate Israel voted for the bill because of donors and because of alliances that help their own legislative initiatives.  Good for them being grown-up enough to recognize, in the words of Sam Rayburn:  "To get along, you often have to go along."  Sandy Cortez didn't make it into either camp.  She's a coward.  She's a flat out weenie who couldn't take the pressure between voting her hate for Israel and voting for her own future.  "The Hottest Places in Hell Are Reserved for Those Who in a Period of Moral Crisis Maintain Their Neutrality."  People will associate that quote with Sandy Cortez for the rest of her career.
R.P. McM
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2021, 03:29:40 AM »
« Edited: September 26, 2021, 04:30:58 AM by R.P. McM »

Remember folks, the Democratic establishment is a pack of idiots who suck at politics.  The only way the party can win is to hand over the reigns to the new generation, with their bold, invigorating political tactics and fresh, inspiring ideas.

Absolutely, unironically true. Remember, the centrist/corporatist idiots can't even curtail gerrymandering, combat voter suppression, or safeguard democracy. So they've failed at the very basic test of self-preservation. Likewise, over the past ~20 years, I've watched this country slowly disintegrate, embarrassing itself over and over again. So whatever AOC's faults are, they pale in comparison to the catastrophic incompetence/corruption of the old guard. Iron Dome vs. Iraq? Yeah, not even close.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2021, 08:14:19 AM »

In fairness to the Democrats on this issue, Rand Paul is a horrible person too.

https://www.jpost.com/international/in-one-more-hurdle-for-iron-dome-rand-paul-refuses-to-fast-track-1-billion-in-new-funding-680784
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2021, 08:33:28 AM »

Israel is a wealthy country. It can pay for its own defense.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2021, 08:40:35 AM »

In fairness to Paul (and Massie), they aren't doing this for "Israel sucks!" reasons, but because they are always against this kind of foreign aid.  I'd vote against this and I'm a huge supporter of Israel (as you know).
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2021, 08:52:51 AM »

Far be it from me to engage in 'what-about-ism, but I do think the subject of those who routinely rail against foreign aid, but voted for this, or accuse AOC of being antisemitic for not voting to spend U.S $ to support a wealthy foreign nation, should also be brought up.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2021, 08:57:58 AM »

Far be it from me to engage in 'what-about-ism, but I do think the subject of those who routinely rail against foreign aid, but voted for this, or accuse AOC of being antisemitic for not voting to spend U.S $ to support a wealthy foreign nation, should also be brought up.

It’s a crap whataboutism because it implies Israel is a poor country that can’t afford the Dome.

It is not akin to third world countries that can’t get enough vaccines.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2021, 09:02:09 AM »

Thank you for your bold stance in favor of US defense manufacturing companies. The federal government understands that subsidies for purchase of missiles in exchange for access to intel and technology is a good trade.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2021, 09:03:29 AM »

In fairness to Paul (and Massie), they aren't doing this for "Israel sucks!" reasons, but because they are always against this kind of foreign aid.  I'd vote against this and I'm a huge supporter of Israel (as you know).

I mean, Massie straight-up posted something more antisemitic than any of the Squad did after his vote, accusing AIPAC of foreign election interference. So I feel safe in saying he can go in the garbage with them.

Paul is idiosyncratic, but given his father's attitude on Israel, it gets more than a little skepticism from me.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2021, 09:08:25 AM »

Thank you for your bold stance in favor of US defense manufacturing companies. The federal government understands that subsidies for purchase of missiles in exchange for access to intel and technology is a good trade.

Subsidizing private corporations is rarely a 'good trade.'
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2021, 09:12:01 AM »

In fairness to Paul (and Massie), they aren't doing this for "Israel sucks!" reasons, but because they are always against this kind of foreign aid.  I'd vote against this and I'm a huge supporter of Israel (as you know).

I mean, Massie straight-up posted something more antisemitic than any of the Squad did after his vote, accusing AIPAC of foreign election interference. So I feel safe in saying he can go in the garbage with them.

Paul is idiosyncratic, but given his father's attitude on Israel, it gets more than a little skepticism from me.
that's fair and true....unfortunately
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies